Peterson makes top 20 in NFL 100

Posted by Darren Urban on July 1, 2015 – 6:11 pm

There has been — and probably will continue to be — much debate about Patrick Peterson and where he stands among NFL cornerbacks after his 2014 season. As has been well-documented, he learned he had diabetes and he had much more of an up-and-down season than anyone would have liked. Bruce Arians talked about how Peterson’s weight is in a better place, and Peterson looked sharp during offseason work.

“I didn’t like the way I played last year so I wanted to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” Peterson said at the end of minicamp. “I feel like 2011 Patrick. I feel rejuvenated.”

Even with uneven play in 2014, he was still voted to the Pro Bowl, in part because of the respect he has from his peers. Along those lines, Peterson again was voted — through a player tally — into the NFL Network’s Top 1oo players list this year. Peterson was unveiled as the No. 19 player Wednesday night, which was actually a jump of three places from his spot at 22 last season. It puts him ahead of both Seattle safety Earl Thomas (who was No. 21) and Cleveland cornerback Joe Haden (No. 23), which I’m sure in both cases will lead to debate. Darrelle Revis was No. 17. As for Richard Sherman, he was voted at No. 11.

Peterson is the third Cardinal on this year’s list. Calais Campbell was No. 99, while Larry Fitzgerald was 68th.

Tags: , , , ,

20 Responses to “Peterson makes top 20 in NFL 100”

1. By georgiebird on Jul 1, 2015 | Reply

I’ll be happy if he’s one of the top 20 cbs in the league.

2. By Steve Weston on Jul 1, 2015 | Reply

Pretty sure Peterson won’t be happy to be ‘only’ among the top 20 CBs this season. And it’s pretty obvious from this vote among his peers that others around the league also believe him to be MUCH better than that as well. I’m looking forward to seeing him bounce back from a mediocre year and get back to his true form this coming season. And I very much believe he will.

Go Cards!!!

3. By azdesertrat1953 on Jul 1, 2015 | Reply

I’ll be happy if he and all the Cards are Healthy, All Year Long!

GO CARDS!!!

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jul 2, 2015 | Reply

“I feel like 2011 Patrick”. Always cringe when see 3rd person references by a Cards player. But agree fwiw, I think we might finally see the best of PP in 2015. Cards were primed last year for a big run, got derailed, bad luck mostly. Even better team in 2015, and deeper, even as deep as we were in 2014. Potentially great things to unfold…

5. By Chris Lewis on Jul 2, 2015 | Reply

response to Steve Weston:

Steve, I have to correct you, Peterson wasn’t in the top 20 CBS, he was in the top 20 players. If Sherman was 11, then I’m assuming that Sherman was the #1 CB on the list, so that would put Peterson 2nd among CBs.

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 2, 2015 | Reply

Chris —

RE: CBs

Revis was ranked 17th.

7. By BIGAL on Jul 2, 2015 | Reply

Sorry ya’ll…but Revis is still the best!

8. By rod on Jul 2, 2015 | Reply

Well, just heard that about 4 players in the NFL just got suspended, so I imagine they will jump ahead of Daryl Washington’s space in line.

9. By much.faster on Jul 3, 2015 | Reply

@rod, interesting, that washington wasn`t suspended now.

maybe he`s lucky and can get away with a slap on his wrist?

10. By Big Ken on Jul 3, 2015 | Reply

“I feel rejuvenated”-we’ll see about that.

11. By All day on Jul 3, 2015 | Reply

Anyone remember a kid named Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie?? I wish he was back in Cardinal red. Him and PP together would be a nightmare on Cardinal street. I remember the glory days back in 08 and 09 he was a premier guy and we threw him away like he was expendable for guess who? Kevin Kolb. Thank you Rod Graves we all now hate you.

12. By rod on Jul 4, 2015 | Reply

@much.faster

I don’t know what to think anymore.

@All day

That was a terrible trade and contact! But Kolb had his moments when he could stay upright and had time.

13. By Chris Lewis on Jul 5, 2015 | Reply

Yeah I know Darren, I hadn’t looked at the list before I wrote that comment, I just assumed Peterson was right behind Sherman but after I wrote that, I saw Revis was 17, oh well, anyway, Peterson’s the 3rd ranked CB, but he was lucky to be as high as 19 becaue he didn’t exactly have a stellar year last year, but hopefully he’ll improve this coming season. GO BIG RED!!!

14. By T-Roy on Jul 6, 2015 | Reply

Hey; Georgiebird. I remember some negative from you last year towards our CARDS. How about some love for them. PP is one of the best CBs in ftball and he will be for a long time. PERIOD. I believe that when and if healthy, the CARDS may have one of the deepest teams in the league this year. I also think that trading for someone to help shore up a RB crew that is very talented, but we need a MUSCLE back. could be in our very, very near future. STAY HEALTHY, CARDS. 2015 team is a beast. BA projected as Coach of year and Calais as DEF player of the year in NFC. Pretty cool predictions. BA 3/4 years as a HC. Neat-o…

15. By Scott H on Jul 6, 2015 | Reply

OK. So….Calais Campbell comes in at #99 and PP is at #20? Really? If ya ask me, Campbell is every bit as talented as PP and he played much better last season that Peterson did. So….what are these rankings really based on???

Hey, great to see anyone in a Cards uniform coming in at #20. I just don’t see how PP gets a 20 spot based on last year. Seriously. He did NOT have a good year last season. Much of the time, he was quite conspicuous because of HOW poorly he was playing. But he comes in at #20??? Based on talent and potential, we know he CAN be that good. Here’s to him playing good enough in 2015 that he comes in at #20 ( or better ) again next year!

Again, these rankings puzzle me. I mean, Fitz numbers drop off a bit and he falls all the way to #68. But Peterson has the season he had in 2014 and he’s #20. And Campbell barely makes the list at #99. Interesting….

16. By Scott H on Jul 7, 2015 | Reply

All day –

Yes, I remember DRC. But the Cromartie I wish we had back / still had was named Antonio.

Seriously, and with all due respect, I think your view of DRC is a bit….over-done. I think he was a very good and promising player in 2008. I think he was a bit of a disappointment from then on. Being out here just outside Philly, I can assure you that the disappointment continued after he was traded to the Eagles. They soured on him pretty quick and no one was sorry to see him go.

I just don’t think he ever really lived up to the promise we thought he showed during his rookie season. Give me Antonio over him ANY DAY!

17. By Dr. G. on Jul 7, 2015 | Reply

T-Roy…ScottH… Well here goes my briefs – –

DRC was a head case and still is….no regrets… except that Kolb was injury prone. He was good otherwise…

Enough already on PP being compared to Prime Time etc… I would trade him for Revis, Sherman, or some 10 others this afternoon…! Now, if he claims that his blood issue has been corrected with diet modification, it tells me that he was again consuming a bag of donuts for breakfast, and candy bars for lunch. Excess sugar intake can present “HYPERGLYCEMIA.” It can look like diabetes. Proper diet can fix this…

It could indicate that he ignores guidance from the nutritionists and trainers that are available for these world class athletes. Sorry, but I am still standing by to see proof in his performance if this excuse is indeed valid… Not convinced yet; nor can any reader until we see the bragger bring it on “CONSISTENTLY” in 2015. I will be first in line to munch the Crow if I am wrong. ((I hope I am wrong))

But, for the drama, please indicate any listed wideout who “FEARS” looking forward to playing against PP?? Fitz is here because I think he would love to spank PP even nearing the end of his career…. Be well Cards Fans…. This is the year!!

1. Calvin Johnson
    26. Antonio Brown
    27. Eric Decker
    28. Steve Johnson
    29. Wes Welker
    30. Miles Austin
    31. DeSean Jackson
    P.S. Please DO NOT compare PP and my man Campbell in any Universe in terms of team value…no way!!

18. By Dr. G. on Jul 7, 2015 | Reply

Re: DWashington, a little birdie ((not a Cardinal)) just hinted to me that he has not yet started the process by requesting reinstatement. So, no news there is bad news…later, much later….

2. Jul 6, 2015: NFL: Plans for playoff parties in St. Louis are premature