Wilson helps coach the coaches

Posted by Darren Urban on July 9, 2015 – 10:49 am

High school coaches play a huge role in the lives of football players — and former Cardinal Adrian Wilson is going to be the keynote speaker in a first-time summit at University of Phoenix Stadium working to teach those coaches how to best guide those kids.

The event, which will be held Friday, was put together by the Arizona Foundation for Women and the Arizona Coalition to End Sexual and Domestic Violence. The pilot program, called “Coaching UP,” puts in place a framework to teach healthy relationships, how to confront peer pressures, the detrimental impacts of underage drinking and substance abuse, and the trauma of head injuries sustained on the field. Coaches, athletic directors, principals and counselors from various high schools around the state will participate.

Wilson, who had his own tough times growing up before eventually making it to the NFL, makes sense as someone who can speak on the subject of making the right decisions. Not only did Wilson have a Ring-of-Honor-type career with the Cardinals, he has also become a successful businessman outside of football.

“Whenever I get the chance to speak with high school coaches, I always stress to them the importance of being a positive role model in their student-athlete’s lives, both on and off the field, as well as the importance of education,” Wilson said in a statement. “What their players will learn in the classroom can take them a lot further in life than playing sports.”

WilsonDV

Tags:

20 Responses to “Wilson helps coach the coaches”

1. By BIGAL on Jul 9, 2015 | Reply

WOW! I love this guy! I want him on our coaching staff! And these are serious & important issues…So for whatever reason our regulars have not commented….. I’m scratching my head????? This has huge ramifications that are all positive!!!

2. By Dynosoar on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

It’s been said if parents don’t teach their children their friends will teach them.

People from childhood are looking for a role model and if a positive one does not step up to the plate, then it’s a crapshoot what kind of role model children/people will follow.

We need more positive role models.

Adrian Wilson has seen all sides of life. I recall the articles about his youth, he’s made lemonade out of lemons. What a perfect role model for coaches to teach them how to be a perfect role model for their players. And he’s not just reaching out to coaches.

I’m with BIGAL, I’d love to see AW on our coaching staff. Whether he is mentoring our players or not, I’m thrilled he’s mentoring.

HUGE Respect for Adrian Wilson!

3. By Dynosoar on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

Hey BIGAL,

I didn’t want to just comment, I wanted to think over night and get my thoughts right before posting. I tend to say things in a way that’s sometimes misunderstood (and sometimes understood too perfectly – Haha!) So I wanted to get this one right.

Not sure about anyone else, but that’s why I waited till this morning.

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks to you Darren for keeping Adrian a part of this blog.

Adrian, HUGE respect. Thanks for mentoring those at the School level. That will pay HUGE dividends.

4. By Dynosoar on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

I need to get a tie like that one.

5. By clssylssy on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

Sounds like an amazing opportunity for educators around the valley about some very serious issues. Competition at the high school level is so cut throat and with scholarships on the line, winning can be such a major focus that everything else that goes into the making of an elite athlete gets pushed aside and some coaches need to be grounded as much (or more) than the kids. What a great person to talk about the pressures and issues these youngsters are facing than Adrian Wilson.
    I am proud of the Cardinal Organization for getting this workshop started and hope that it will become an annual event. We have some of the finest young men in the NFL wearing Cardinal Red and could see more of them becoming involved.
    Good job Cardinal Organization and thank you Adrian Wilson!

6. By Axael Lugo on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

Great Blog!!

7. By Eric G on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

With all the negative stories that surrounds NFL players these days, great to see a man like A-Dub. Too bad these stories fly under the radar. Proud he was a Cardinal.

8. By Andy Kw on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

Can we hire him please!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. By D on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

I wonder with the recent ruling on G. Hardy’s case will affect how DWash case will be handled..

10. By BIGAL on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

Way to go Dynosoar! Great take! Very Well stated!
    And Eric G & Andy Kw love your thoughts as well!
    And By clssylssy excellent call! My own son who was pretty good at baseball, actually quit playing the game he/we loved because of the pressures & attitudes
    in his own locker room! “It just isn’t any fun any more dad! They’ve ruined it!”
    Sorry ya’ll, I still get that lump in my throat & this was 10-12 years ago!

By clssylssy, I don’t think any of us even mentioned Steroids or PED’S? However,
    I suppose that might come in under “substance abuse” but it really should have its own category as the technology evolves???

OK, I’ll try to rap this up…I believe this team/this franchise has come a long way in this millennium! We have some great alumni who are great role models! I could see this being much more than an annual symposium, perhaps monthly or quarterly??? And pair ADUB up w/the likes of one HOFER Aeneas Williams… w/the occasional appearances by the future HOFER Larry Fitzgerald who could catch a pass or two from future HOFER Kurt Warner! I’m sure they’re all very busy
    people…but imagine the positive influence potential!

11. By BIGAL on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

Sorry, just have to say…so sorry to hear of the passing of Kenny Stabler @ 69…the original gunslinger! Those Raider games of that era are why there are still sooo many crazy Raider fans! I almost became one of them, they were always
    fun & exciting to watch, especially back when AZ only had college teams…I know I’ll always love the silver & black mystic.

12. By JohnnyBluenose on Jul 10, 2015 | Reply

Kenny Stabler played when quarterbacks actually called most of the plays and he was a very good quarterback. Fortunately for him he was also given a lot of good players to work with. He also impressed me as a television commentator when his playing days were over. I’m sorry he was not voted into the Hall of Fame but he will not be forgotten. He had style. Sorry he is gone.

13. By Eazy E on Jul 11, 2015 | Reply

A-Wil, love this guy!

14. By clssylssy on Jul 11, 2015 | Reply

The loss of iconic greats like Kenny Stabler is a loss for all fans and the game, no matter the uniform. I had assumed incorrectly that he was in the Hall because he is one of those larger than life players whose name goes into the conversation when people talk about those great games of the ’70’s when football was down’n the dirt, blood’n’guts, ground’n pound, without all the sissified rules and the hall monitors to make sure there was only limited contact in “practice”.
    Thank you BigAl for having the courage to acknowledge the loss of a football great who didn’t wear a Cards uniform, and thank you Kenny Stabler for all the great memories, may you Rest In Peace.

15. By Eric G on Jul 11, 2015 | Reply

@D.

Probably nothing. Cowboys are a beloved team for the NFL, so I’m sure Jerry Jones got some preferential treatment to get Hardy back on the field.

Will it be hypocritical if the league suspends DWash more than 4 games? Sure, but this is the NFL and they are total hypocrites. I’m just sick of freaking waiting for the decision by the NFL.

16. By clssylssy on Jul 12, 2015 | Reply

A little off track but, I happened to tune into an interview with BA yesterday promoting his “backpacks for school” project which, I would have probably contributed to had I known about it. I know that a lot of our players and the Cards Organization have various community projects of this sort that they sponsor but it seems we never know about them until they are either happening or after the fact.
    I wonder if perhaps, some sort of “Charitable Events Calendar” could be included on this site giving dates and locations of upcoming drives/events. Also, given the size of the Phoenix area, these events might be more successful if they were at several locations throughout the valley (seems like everything is always in the east valley which is a major hoof for us in the west).
    With education in Arizona in critical condition, I am very proud of the efforts of the Cardinals as leaders in offering a hand up in elevating our education through workshops for educators as well as drives for students and the positive examples set by our players. The cure to social ills starts with education!

17. By rod on Jul 12, 2015 | Reply

Darren, do you know what the specific hold up with Daryl is and have been told to keep it secret? You can tell me.

18. By rod on Jul 12, 2015 | Reply

He didn’t say no🙂

19. By Darren Urban on Jul 13, 2015 | Reply

Rod —

RE: DWash

Ha.

To be honest, I have tired of the DWash questions. Nothing has happened. If something does, and I know, I’ll put it out there. For now, though, I wouldn’t be counting on him.

2. Jul 12, 2015: FEATURED CARDINALS LINK: Arizona Cardinals news 7/12: Carson Palmer workout videos, Washington questions | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog