Arians’ pick of Welter about football

Posted by Darren Urban on July 27, 2015 – 10:31 pm

The news the Cardinals and Bruce Arians have added Jen Welter as a coaching intern for camp and the preseason has created, not surprisingly, major nationwide buzz. Hiring the first NFL coach tends to do that. Mostly the reaction has been positive. But Arians didn’t do it for the reaction.

Arians cares about the idea of opening a door or bringing down a barrier. He said as much. He did not have to do this, however. He noted back in March players would accept anyone who would be able to coach them to better play, including a woman. It got a reaction then, but that’s as far as it had to go. At the time, Arians didn’t have anyone in mind (although he was aware of the one-time work of Dot Murphy coaching receivers at Hinds Community College in Mississippi.) Even when he heard from Texas Revolution coach Devin Wyman suggesting Welter, Arians didn’t have to do anything, and again after he brought her in for a visit during an OTA.

But Arians believes both in the door-opening possibility for women and Welter as coach. He isn’t about to bring in a coach he doesn’t think can coach. What would be the point in that? Publicity? It’s not like Arians and the Cards don’t have plenty of that already. When Arians says his players are on board, I believe that too.

Arians made the point that there will be six other coaching interns. Welter isn’t the only one. She’ll work with the inside linebackers with her master’s in sports psychology and her 14 years of professional football playing experience. Whatever it ends up meaning beyond that will be a bonus for Arians and the Cardinals — even though it certainly will mean more.

CK9gJgIUMAExxpB

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “Arians’ pick of Welter about football”

1. By Steve . on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

Darren, I dunno…….I’m all for equality in the workforce but she could be a distraction as she is kind of easy on the eyes. I know thats sexist but in the high testosterone world of professional football and the culture that feeds it, maybe asking guys to always be respectful toward her on and off the field might be problematic for a few, i.e asking her out on a date or something…I’m just saying.

2. By Scott H on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

I love this and I think this is great. Great for the Cardinals, great for the NFL, great for the fact that a barrier is being broken. I don’t know that there are many women looking for coaching positions in the NFL but if there are….then it’s great for them, too.

Welcome aboard, coach!

3. By SteveG on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

The Cards have a long history of being first to hire minorities in a variety of roles and now a woman.

It has always been about opportunity for those deserving for the Bidwill family and I have zero doubt that this opportunity was earned and not just given.

Good luck to the young lady..Lord knows the woman has some serious qualifications in a variety of fields.

4. By Eric G on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

You know, when I read the headline, I thought Bruce was the only coach in the league with the courage to do this for the right reason. Kudos. Welcome to the Cards Welter.

5. By faster on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

if she can keep daryl washington on track, the team should hire her for the whole season.

and as usual, i question arians explanations, i think, he wants to hide that he wants more deepth at the running back position🙂

6. By D on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

The more coaches giving input I would think will only help the players. Cards must have the largest coaching staff in the league. I really like the Kirkland hire, he should really help K. Martin and M Golden get better as pass rushers.

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

D —

RE: Coaches

The Cards definitely have a ton of coaches. But that’s how Arians likes it — keeps “class sizes” smaller. Easier to teach.

8. By Thomas lee Newell on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

I seriously believe in coach Arians ideas. Sounds like she will do great for the team.

9. By krehbieo14 on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

Great move by the Cardinals organization on many different levels. Dr Welter brings a fresh perspective to the team. As a sports psychologist, Jen brings an added dimension to the Cardinals staff. Her experience as a player of different sports and coaching ability will be welcomed. It’s also a high character move by the organization and a cutting edge brilliant marketing move. I hope she is successful and stays on the entire year. Congratulations Jen!

10. By clssylssy on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

What’s the deal with Arian’s push to hire assistants who have never played a down in a Cardinal jersey when there are plenty of our own out there who would be uniquely qualified (except for the gender thing). I have to really admire the Steelers and other teams who bring back their former players in these roles, which only solidifies their fan base as well as the franchise.
    Personally, I don’t even understand WHY a female (official, assistant, etc) would even want to “cross the gender line” into the NFL when Women’s sports have the same opportunities. She may be a good athlete and teacher but why not Women’s sports?
    I have always admired the Bidwill family for their humanitarian efforts but, it would seem that being trendsetters for social agendas is more important than winning championships. And, when you make a point of saying “Arians didn’t do it for the reaction”, I have to wonder, and find it curious that you would feel the need to make such a defensive statement?
    I’m old school and a fan of the purity of the game, who would like to see owners focus more on maintaining the integrity of the game rather than watering it down and turning it into a platform for social agendas.
    And, what’s the old saying about publicity?

11. By Tucson Card on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

Bold and progressive move by BA/Cards. If the players are distracted by the fact that she’s a female, that’s their problem. Everyone is there to do a job.

I like BA’s vision/goals; he’s looking to develop both players and coaches. It’s selfless and shows true leadership. He’s making the most of his authority and position to influence good.

Proud to be a Cards die hard!

12. By krehbieo14 on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy-

With Welter’s background and experience, you don’t think there’s any expertise she can offer the team? And what does “purity” of the game mean??

13. By Eric G on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

Clssylassy,

Why would she want to work in the NFL where coaches get paid millions, she gets to coach some of the best athletes in the world and did I mention coaches earn a hell of a lot more in the NFL than where she was at? Gee, I dunno why she’d ever want to advance her career and get paid a lot more while doing it.

Would you rather be CEO of Mom and Pop enterprises with a few stores earning $60K a year or join Amazon as a senior executive earning at least six figures. Guess you’d want to stay with mom and pop and not join the big leagues at an incredible opportunity based on your response. That’s fine if you want, but I’ll take the better opportunity and more money.

It’s an incredible opportunity for her and you wouldn’t care if she was getting it if she were a man, which shows you have a problem with it, especially since you think she ought to stick with her own kind. Guess you really think that she belongs in the kitchen. I also know what your opinion would be if this were the fifties.

Its called progress unclssylssy, look into it.

14. By jeffgollin on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

If she can help us win, I’m all in.

Logic says that when you double your pool of qualified people, it improves your odds that you’ll hire more keepers. Welcome and good luck, JW.

15. By Scott H on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

Just another reason to love life when Bruce Arians is your head coach! Obviously, this move has the support of the organization but I feel like BA is truly the guy driving this. He is not only the cool uncle, he is the coolest damn coach in pro sports right now! This is truly a GREAT time to be a Cardinals fan.

16. By Scott H on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

And, of course, people just have to hate, don’t they? Being out here in the Philly area, I am hearing a lot of talk about this on sports talk radio today. And with ignorance running rampant – as it always does among Philly sports fans and ( especially ) the media out here – everyone is so convinced this is a calculated move to draw good publicity and attention to a team that needs it. Really, Philly??? Well, in case ya haven’t noticed, our team has been better than yours’ for several years now and perhaps THAT is why people are paying more attention to the Cardinals these days. A little bitter, are we, Philly? Hell, you should be used to that by now…..

My lord, what a short-sighted view of a very significant accomplishment.

Not that I think one has anything to do with the other, but with all the black eyes the NFL took last year this time for the Ray Rice thing and other domestic abuse incidents, it is GREAT to see THIS story dominating the headlines right now. And I could NOT be prouder that it is the Cardinals breaking down this barrier.

17. By Richard S on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

I think she’s an inspiration to a lot of people. I know it keeps my dream alive of someday breaking in as the Diamondback’s Bullpen catcher’s coach someday.

18. By SCarolinacardinal on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

She is no doubt attractive, but she sounds very professional. I’m sure, with her being a psychologist, she would be able to diffuse any ” come ons ” from any players or other coaches. I think it’s great!

19. By CreditCard on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

I believe every football game I’ve watched on TV, and seen in live at a stadium — I’ve noticed that the fans are not solely men. Connecting with our fan base is also a plus.

20. By BigBobDiesel on Jul 28, 2015 | Reply

Hey Scott H

Regarding our last back and fourth, my last comment was very tongue and cheek. I think we were actually arguing two different points and better discussed over a beer rather than text with no voice. I apologize for not being able to really dive into stats with you, between work, school and my four month old daughter it is difficult to get deep into facts ya know.
    Anyways sorry if I came off not appreciating your opinion, it’s how my friends and I debate, and well, you don’t know me…

Regarding this article, I Think it’s awesome! Again, I have a four month old daughter, how could I think otherwise?

21. By Eazy E on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

As usual, we will see. It’s just an internship and not a full-time coaching gig so let’s pump the brakes a bit here. There are 5 or 6 other coaches and they we’re males, so they shouldn’t get the short end of the stick just because their not female. She at least on her resume looks qualified, but that doesn’t mean she belongs because many have qualifications, but didn’t work out, but since my team is the Cardinals I’m not rooting against her!

22. By Scott H on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Steve –

RE: She’s kind of easy on the eyes

Seriously, man? You’re gonna bring THAT into this? Do you really think THAT has anything to do with the Cardinals decision to go ahead with this? THAT would be an incredible distraction for an NFL team and I can guarantee you, that is the last thing BA would want.

Any player who WOULD be distracted by that is one that is clearly not focused on doing his job and, therefore, probably not someone who’s gonna be around for long, anyway.

I get the feeling this woman can handle herself. I’m sure she will be tested, but so would any new coach with no NFL experience.

23. By Crow on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

This is great totally agree if she is the best canidate let her coach…. we all saw what women bring to the table coaching wise when san antonio spurs hired the first women coach in the nba and she did very well coaching summer league great hire

24. By krehbieo14 on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Easy E –

“but since my team is the Cardinals I’m not rooting against her? What a ringing endorsement! Would you quote that about any other Cardinals coach?

25. By Scott H on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Big Bob –

No worries! I enjoyed the back and forth, regardless of whether we really understood what we were going back and forth about or not. That happens. I’d be the first to admit I sometimes react to what I THINK others are saying any I miss what they actually WERE saying.

I don’t know what neck of the woods you occupy but I will happily join ya for that beer any time!🙂 First round is on me.

Important thing is, we’re both fans who obviously care enough to “get into it” with others when we feel strongly about something.

26. By Steve W. on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Great to see the Cards assist in breaking down barriers for women participating in the NFL, just as San Antonio did in the NBA. Would love to see it go beyond the idea of interim coach and into full assistant coaches and perhaps even as players one day. My daughter attends a very big high school where the kicker is a girl. And she’s really great!

27. By tyman on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Hope she does well, coach them up.

28. By Big Ken on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

I want to see her get into Dockett’s face. Oh he’s not with the team anymore, sorry.

29. By Eazy E on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

krehbio14-

I should have phrased that better, ”since my team is the Cardinals, I’m not rooting against her or anybody for that matter because I don’t do that”! Whatever team she was interning for, I wouldn’t root against her or anybody else, may the best man and now woman win! My bad nothing against her, but everybody must earn their keep of course.

2. Jul 28, 2015: Arizona Cardinals Hire First Female Coach in NFL History - Baller Mind Frame