The “other” coaching interns for Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on July 29, 2015 – 10:39 am

Understandably, there has been a lot of coverage to one of the Cardinals’ new coaching interns and to the new Bidwill coaching fellow. But Jen Welter and Levon Kirkland aren’t the only new coaches the Cardinals will have in training camp and the preseason (OK, Kirkland is around for two years.) There are six others:

— Rashied Davis – WR/Strength & Conditioning. Davis is a former wide receiver with the Bears and Lions.

— Emile Michael Harry – WR. Harry played wide receiver for the Chiefs and Rams.

— Rod Hood – DBs/DL. If you are a Cardinals’ fan, you really already should know Hood (but if you don’t, I wrote about him this summer.)

— David Kelly – RB. Kelly has been a college coach at a handful of stops.

— Keith McKenzie – LB. Played linebacker and defensive end for the Packers, Browns, Bears and Bills.

— Willie Williams – DB/DL. Played cornerback for the Steelers and Seahawks.

Blogoninterns

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “The “other” coaching interns for Cards”

1. By IO on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Do all teams bring in training camp interns?

Do the Cardinals have open positions for coaches or are all interns here just for six weeks (except Kirkland).

2. By Darren Urban on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

IO —

RE: Interns

I am not sure about other teams. Right now, the Cards don’t have any open spots, so the interns are all short-term.

3. By Scott H on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

I’m chucking as I say this….but is anyone else looking at Kirkland in this picture and wondering what he is thinking??? He looks less than thrilled….I don’t want to say it, but I have to wonder if it is because here he is, an NFL veteran warrior with a distinguished playing career under his belt, and a woman intern is stealing the show. Hope not, but….I wonder.

4. By Andy Kw on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Rod Hood, really? That’s nice to know. This guy had like 5INT in one of his seasons as a Card in the Whiz Era. Glad to have this guy on board

5. By rod on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

I thought the veterans come in on 31st but Palmer is there. Are most of the vets coming in early on their own?

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Rod —

RE: QB school

Quarterbacks, rookies and players coming off injury are allowed in before Friday.

7. By Andy Kw on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

I am kind of disappointed to hear that Alfonzo Dennard was cut by the Arizona Cardinals. He can play outside or inside.
    -The bright side are two young cornerbacks that, now, have a very good chance to make the 53 man roster;
    -Jimmy Legree: He displays strong physicality. He is big at 6’0” and his growth so far is uncanny. Even Bruce Arians and Steve Keim are impressed with his maturity and playing ability in practice. The only issue is that he is lacking speed.
    -C.J Roberts: This guy was a standout player at Colorado State-Pueblo. Has the size at 6’0” and has that much needed speed that Jimmy Legree is lacking. He has similar dimensions and playing ability to Jerraud Powers and also has the explosiveness of Patrick Peterson. I really like this guy and I am hoping he sticks.

8. By MIkeFlorio on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

I am wondering why Hood, is a DL coach? DB totally understandable but, DL, something I am sure you have already explained Urb, but. just thinking out loud here.

9. By Darren Urban on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

MikeFlorio —

RE: interns

Lots of coaches coach different positions than they played. Freddie Kitchens, a college QB, was the tight ends coach before moving to his current QB coach spot.

10. By dkerry5242 on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

What could she possibly bring to the table in terms of linebacker experience that Levon Kirkland couldn’t ?
    Makes no sense to me.

11. By rod on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Thanks Darren.

Oh, just in case, nobody blink or you will miss Brady and Kraft coverage on nflnetwork tv.

12. By D on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Open roster spot…Dwight Freeney???

13. By Scott H on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Another slant on this great thing that the Cardinals are doing with Jen Welter – look at the mess that is erupting around Tom Brady with stories of him wrecking his phone to ( probably ) hide evidence on the day his phone was requested by investigators, Bob Craft coming out and RIPPING the NFL ( and his buddy Goodell ), and Brady / the NFLPA now filing suit against the NFL. Wow. How’s that for wrecking the joy of a SB win?

I much prefer the positive light that is shining on the Cardinals organization right now and the growing perception that this organization is suddenly one of the best in the NFL.

Not that I wouldn’t love a SB win, but…I really have to wonder how much Pats fans are really enjoying this right now. This has truly become embarrassing and the outcome is assured to be even more embarrassing for either Brady or the NFL.

14. By CreditCard on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

Agree with Andy kw about CJ Roberts, he is a DII champion. His college downside was playing for a DII school out of Pueblo, and his stats are not that impressive. Robert’s un-impressive stats was mainly due, to competition not throwing to his side — hardly ever.

He’s a good athlete — I too hope he sticks.

15. By Big Ken on Jul 29, 2015 | Reply

I think ‘Intern” mean they’re working for free.

16. By Jesse on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

I like all the coaching program the Cardinals have instituted under Arians but I wonder at what point are there too many cooks in the kitchen?

17. By Eazy E on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

These are some familiar names. I’m glad they gave all the interns a press conference together and just not Jen.

18. By Smileyg on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

Jesse, their not all cooking in the same kitchen. As a teacher I’ve experienced how much ore can be accomplished with small class sizes and as BA has expressed “coaching is merely teaching”. I think his push in this area from the first day he got here has had a major factor on their rapid improvement these last couple of years. Thx to Michael for allowing this.

19. By thesmel on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

Would this be David Kelly – The Son of HOF RB Leroy Kelly? That I consider the best all around football player of all time?