In the short term, tight end still a concern

Posted by Darren Urban on July 30, 2015 – 11:13 am

Heading into camp, the Cardinals will ease Jermaine Gresham back into football. He’s coming off back surgery and hasn’t done anything football-related this summer, and so slow going makes sense. Gresham can come off the PUP list at any point, and like Tyrann Mathieu last year, I’d expect Gresham to be on the roster by early September. Hopefully, a return to the field will be even quicker for Troy Niklas, who ended up on the active non-football-injury list yesterday at the same time the Gresham news was announced. Niklas has a bad hamstring, I would assume hurt while working out in prep for camp.

But that’s two tight ends the Cardinals don’t have for the outset of training camp, and the one open roster spot the team currently has may end up being spent on another tight end just to keep the numbers up — depending on what the timetable might be for Niklas and/or Gresham. It’s another setback for Niklas too, who had his rookie season shredded with injuries — from a broken finger to a bad ankle that needed surgery.

Even without the latest hamstring issue, Niklas acknowledged his ankle isn’t quite 100 percent, noting that his doctor told him it’ll probably be into the season before he builds up all his strength and flexibility.

“I’m not going to make that an excuse,” Niklas said before his hamstring injury. “(The ankle) has healed to a point where I can do mostly everything I want to do.”

As it stands, the Cardinals still have five tight ends ready for camp’s first practice Saturday: Darren Fells, Ifeanyi Momah, Ted Bolser, Gerald Christian and Gannon Sinclair.

GresTEs

Tags: , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “In the short term, tight end still a concern”

1. By sbrown on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

don’t know if Cards need to find a short term TE, lets just coach up and get more reps for the five on the roster right now.

2. By Steve . on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

Hope Niklas heals up so he can realize his potential. Darren, with training camp opening up, would you expect the D-wash suspension ruling to come out in the next couple of weeks?

3. By Darren Urban on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: DWash

I have no idea. None.

4. By carlo milano on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

darren
    i assume there is something the organization hide about dWash
    the player offically filed for reinstatement on.may 8,,almost 3 months with no answers
    how is possible the nfl didnt take a decision,probably after hiring graves they are slower then before
    i hard from weinfuss or jurecky that dwash never miss and failed a test,also he did his community works
    we as a fans can we an answer?

5. By Darren Urban on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Washington

I don’t think we know for sure if Daryl has done everything needed to be reinstated. This long after he could have been reinstated, it’s hard to believe this is simply a matter of the NFL dragging its feet.

6. By All day on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

I think that our TE situation will be fine. It’s just a matter of finding that 4th guy. I like Christian’s Chances. He’s got good size and speed. Think he ran a 4.5 or so and the combine. I was hoping a rulin on D-wash would come after the Brady and Bell rulings but it is what it is. Also very interested in that 3rd QB spot. I think Thomas should make it. But he has to show some actual improvement.

7. By rod on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

Fells, man just take this from these fools! Grab it and don’t look back!!

8. By rod on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

Bidwill has to know something about Daryl Washington and in turn so does Keim and BA.

My logic is that if I have a business I have to know the status, good or bad, of my employee’s. For some reason they are staying mum, that’s another mysterious layer to this “nobody knows” thing.

It’s a non story to the world, otherwise a journalist would be camped out at DW’s house and get an answer on what the hold up is, what the NFL is actually telling DW and his agent about the status of everything.

There is a month of practice, somebody should push for answers while there.

9. By DTL on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

Niklas continuous injuries worrisome at best, suspicious at worst.

10. By Scott H on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

Geez, if Washington has not done all HE needs to do to be re-instated….then where is HIS dedication to this team? THAT would really tick me off at this point – after all the hope I have invested in him coming back – to know that HE is holding up the process.

And regardless of what is or is not happening with that situation, the fact that we STILL don’t know anything about where it stands is brining my frustration to the boiling point.

I’m sure hoping someone will emerge from the pack at TE to be our guy. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fells be that guy. I like Gresham’s veteran experience, just as I did that of John Carlson, but he is a question mark until….well, until he’s not a question mark anymore. And it sounds like Niklas is basically in that same boat. Which means that of our three most promising candidates, two of them are question marks.

Would just be nice to see SOMEONE / ANYONE nail down this position and give this position a name and a face, for once, for this team.

If Gresham is limited by lingering back problems, my money is on Fells.

11. By Nor Cal Cards Fan on Jul 30, 2015 | Reply

Urb – Did u know that u were featured on the evening News in California talking about the Welter hiring..? Sacramento area.

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

NorCal —

RE: Interview

I did do an interview for CBS News, so I guess it doesn’t surprise me an outlet used it.

13. By Eazy E on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

Scott H-

Calm down bro, it’s just football!

14. By Eazy E on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

I understand Gresham’s situation coming back from back surgery, but Niklas what the hell??

15. By JohnnyBluenose on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

I too am frustrated and bewildered that there has been no news released about Washington. Why the silence? Should the NFL not explain why he has not been reinstated yet? There must be a reason so what is it? The NFL does not comment. The Cardinals do not comment. Washington has nothing to say. A decision has been made to not reinstate Washington but the reason for this decision has not been made public. If Washington truly has done everything he was required to do to be reinstated then he should be outraged and vocal about this. Instead he remains mute. Somebody somewhere knows the truth. Maybe Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein should look into this and then write a book about it.

16. By Smileyg on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

Niklas is beginning to remind me of Tony Moeaki in that great talent but never able to show it on the field because of constant injuries…he is beginning to look like a china doll, pretty but ultimately useless

17. By Smileyg on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

I’m also of the opinion that with this long of a delay on DWash that there must be something that he hasn’t done correctly and his camp just refuses to come clean to the public about it….wouldn’t that be a surprise😦

18. By Marlin on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

Kinda surprised the CB got cut.

19. By Richard L on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

Niklas injured again. What a surprise

20. By Dynosoar on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

Maybe D-Wash is enjoying an early retirement. Would any of you go back to a brutal day job fighting an O-Line (or any day job) with his kind of money in the bank?

What would you do if you had millions in the bank, go back to work or live your dreams?

I’m not saying that’s what Washington is doing, but maybe it is… whatever it is I’m not really worried. Washington played in two 11 loss seasons and didn’t play in our 11 win season.

if he’s resolved his substance and abuse issues and plays for us again, great. If he doesn’t play for us again, we won 11 games without him and we can do it again.

Bidwill, Arians, Keim, coaches and players have built this organization to the point we don’t need any one player (well, as long as that one player isn’t a third string QB). Rather, players need the Cardinals.

How sweet is that!
    Go Cardinals!

21. By Angelo on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

In a glass half full kind of way, I’m happy to see Fells getting more reps. I see a big upside for him if he can get more reps as a dual threat TE.

22. By Don on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

I don’t understand all the people blaming the league for D Washington’s failures. By policy the NFL must protect a players privacy. Washington is the one who needs to speak up and tell his fans what is going on. After his first suspension he apologized for letting his fans and team down, said it wouldn’t happen again but he lied and did it again. Washington is the one who waited a month and a half past his eligibility date before applying for reinstatement. WHY?
    To many fans think Washington is going to come back and have a huge impact, I think that is silly. We all know that what a player did 2 years ago is no guarantee of what they will do now, we have no idea of his physical training and IF he gets reinstated he will probably miss at least 6 games so no impact first half of the season even if he is as good as he was in 13. Tyrann Mathieu has indicated obliquely that Washington is addicted to weed. We have Washington’s word that he did everything he was supposed to, for me his word isn’t worth spit. He cheated the team out of 10 million and it wouldn’t surprise me if he never returned. It wouldn’t be the first time a talented young man destroyed his career because of addiction

23. By krehbieo14 on Jul 31, 2015 | Reply

It seems pretty clear that Washington has not followed the protocol for reinstatement. The Cardinals defense for 2015-16 has been built without any consideration of having him on the team. With that in mind, the Cards still could use more depth at ILB and TE. IMO, a trade may be in order to create more depth and competition.

24. By Scott H on Aug 1, 2015 | Reply

Eazy E –

This is calm! Heck, training camp just started. I don’t really get ramped up until the season starts!

Then again…..did you just say it’s ONLY football, bro??? ONLY football? Hey, football for me is the Cardinals and there ain’t no ONLY when it comes to my Cardinals! I’m never calm about that.

2. Jul 31, 2015: Cardinals' tight end position murky to begin training camp | The World 247