RB injuries, yes, but at least Peterson is healthy

Posted by Darren Urban on August 3, 2015 – 12:52 pm

Both David Johnson and Andre Ellington aren’t practicing today because of hamstring issues. Bruce Arians doesn’t think Johnson’s problem is serious, and Ellington was pulled from Sunday’s work because his hamstring got a little tight and he will be kept from today’s practice as a precaution. Not ideal — especially for Johnson — but it’s early. At least cornerback Patrick Peterson said today his diabetes is under control to the point where he considers himself “diabetes free.” That’s great news.

The Cardinals also activated tight ends Jermaine Gresham and Troy Niklas from the Physically Unable to Perform and non-football injury lists, respectively. Neither will jump right into practice, Arians said, but taking them off the list means they can at least participate in walkthroughs and hopefully soon at least some individual drills.

The news on rookie linebacker Shaq Riddick was not as good. Arians said he’ll miss some time after suffering a Grade 2 hamstring injury. It’s the same hamstring tear that has kept him out virtually the entire time he was drafted. Linebacker Sean Weatherspoon (hamstring) remains day-to-day.

Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “RB injuries, yes, but at least Peterson is healthy”

1. By iammattyoung on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Four hamstring injuries two days into camp? Sounds like folks are stretching right…

2. By Craig on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

I have not heard of so many hamstring issues. I am wondering if working in the air conditioning has anything to do with it. Not keeping the muscle warm and ready. I was really looking forward to a healthy team. Guess that’s dreaming.

3. By Dr. G. on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Wow…just frustrating for Coaches. Sounds like some guys are really going all out to impress…this can produce the leg injuries. When BA first came here, he said he would play anyone who is performing regardless of experience… I wonder if the rookies still have a chance for a spot when they try so hard to please him…?

We really need a “return game” this year.

Re: Peterson – – I have never wondered about his physical abilities – only what is going on between his ears. He got juked a lot last season. Keim pointed to his decision-making. Now, I am happy that he supposedly does not have a bag of donuts and a Big-Gulp before bed time.

No excuses remain for him…just bluster. I hope he proves his detractors wrong this year…beginning with Marques Colston and Alshon Jeffery…! It gets harder from there….Anquan Boldin & Torrey Smith…! Interesting, huh?

No big deal, he says, “I’m the best.” Later Cards Fans….

4. By Drew on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    When Washington was suspended Clinton was president. I was 7 years old. Im now 27 and thinking of starting a family. Will we get an answer in this lifetime or in the afterlife?

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Drew —

RE: DWash

Given the timefold you apparently live within, I’d say long after mankind is extinct.

6. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Hamstring major injury, can linger forever, Worrisome. Film of Shipley getting beat badly, worrisome.

Meanwhile, Cardinals again on cutting edge, VR is huge tool. New bubble, new training facility, new training table and weight room, lol, Bid! Cardinals are a money machine, perfect climate, great coaching/front office, perfect stadium, want to go to destination for FAs. Sweet.

Noticed Cards season tix now show different price on each game, preseason on mine (end zone) was $35 and Seattle $101, smart. Bidwill gets it, bravo.

Best roster reflects smart moves by Young Gun Bidwill.

7. By Jason on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

i know this has been a question that is starting to come up and i apologize ahead of time if you have already answered it but has anyone ask Coach Arians if he thinks the idea of letting players be responsible for stretching may not be working. There are a lot of hammy problems popping up and it does not make sense to have something nagging all season because of time it would take to do proper stretching during training camp. I know they are smarter than us about this topic, I was just wondering if he would ever address it publicly. Thank you for your time.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Jason —

RE: Arians/stretching

He has addressed it many times. He said something along those lines yesterday. Essentially, these guys are pros and it’s not my job to get them stretched.

9. By jaime on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

ellington news is disturbing, something has to change with his readiness. Seems like his body is injury pron, fix that stuff fast.

10. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Drew –

Nice comic relief, bro! And with nagging injuries already hitting us in too many of the wrong places……we need something to lighten the mood. Too many of the wrong guys getting pulled from practice, sitting out, etc. Yeah, at this point, it’s pre-cautionary, I get that. But at some point, these guys are gonna have to be able to GO without hamstrings shutting them down.

And lord knows, we’ve seen how these hammy issues can linger….

Not the start I was hoping for.

11. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Patrick….season tickets had different prices last year as well.

12. By D on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Riddick will be lucky to make the PS squad at this rate. At least it appears they may have one or two undrafted players that may make the team…

13. By krehbieo14 on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Watched Paul Lasike play at training camp today. The kid was a highlight reel as a beast in blocking OLB’s. Has potential to be a camp sleeper in an H-back role or special teams artist. Reminds me of the Shermanator.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Krehbieo —

RE: Lasike

Don’t forget Arians traded away the Shermanator because he didn’t want that type of player.

15. By cards62 on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

The way this is going our trainer may be our MVP by the time our season is over.
    Krehbieo thanks for the update on Lasike our rugby player please keep us posted.
    Anyone have any reports on our punting game from practice? If Butler punts for us even once this year in a game that counts I will explode !!!
    What a great time of year this is. Very excited to watch our passing game, offensive line, and DBs this preseason and my biggest concerns are our front 7 on defense and if our running backs will hold up this season.
    I was wondering what the rest of you are excited about and worried about this upcoming season for our Cardinals?

Darren I am not hitting the panic button on our RBs, but I was hoping for another strong body this offseason. Do you see any experience running backs out there that our front office might go after?

Thanks and go Cards.

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: RBs

They aren’t going to sign another back at this point.

17. By krehbieo14 on Aug 3, 2015 | Reply

Darren-

I haven’t forgotten. I hope BA hasn’t either. Lol

18. By rod on Aug 4, 2015 | Reply

Camp Cupcake is interchangeable with Camp Hamstring.

Doesn’t sound very tasty, eeeeyuck.

19. By Kaleb on Aug 4, 2015 | Reply

What’s the benefit of putting a player on the PUP for one week of training camp? Is it a money thing?

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2015 | Reply

Kaleb —

RE: PUP

No real benefit at this point. But if he had had a setback, it was a cover heading into the season. He didn’t.

21. By joe67 on Aug 4, 2015 | Reply

Love BA, but he says “not his job to see them stretch”. Maybe in light of all the hamstring problems we have had he needs to revisit his thought process. Never have seen so many issues.

22. By Scott H on Aug 4, 2015 | Reply

Perhaps I should also acknowledge the OTHER point of this blog, which is the good news that PP appears healthy and raring to go. That IS good news and I would certainly welcome the return of the Patrick Peterson we saw prior to last year.

Amen to that, brother. We may never see Washington again but at least we may see PP!

23. By krehbieo14 on Aug 4, 2015 | Reply

cards62-

Zasudil was doing the punting yesterday, kicking to potential punt returners, ie. Nelson, Peterson and Smokey.

24. By AZCardsfan74 on Aug 4, 2015 | Reply

I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!!! GO CARDS!!!

25. By Daniel Thompson on Aug 4, 2015 | Reply

Like I said after the draft……..Riddick was a wasted pick………..i’m a genius, Bidwill should hire me, obviously I know more than Keim.

26. By krehbieo14 on Aug 4, 2015 | Reply

Darren-

Thanks for all the blogs you provide about the Cardinals. I was wondering at some point if you would be willing to do a piece on the Cards “sports science” protocol. In light of recent nagging camp injuries, how does Buddy Morris and his staff monitor players physical health? What goes into prevention of injuries, the training process and dealing with players who physically break down? Is each players progress assessed routinely? How do the Cardinals injury issues compare with other teams? Thanks, I’m just curious to know.