DBs live the scooter life — for now

Posted by Darren Urban on August 5, 2015 – 9:15 am

When the Cardinals were in Flagstaff for training camp, Segways became popular with a few of the players so they could maneuver their way around the NAU campus. There isn’t as much walking to do now with camp at University of Phoenix Stadium and the Renaissance next door, but that didn’t stop Patrick Peterson from getting his defensive back mates (like Justin Bethel, pictured below) some hands-free scooters they are using for camp.

They are pretty cool. But it’s tough not to have an initial reaction of, well, yikes. The last thing you’d want to see is a player fall off one of those things and get hurt. Back in 2009, Antrel Rolle took a tumble on his Segway. He was OK, but it did make you hestiate seeing guys like Adrian Wilson and Larry Fitzgerald tooling around on them. Bruce Arians hasn’t banned the new toys, but there is a no-tolerance policy.

“One falls off they are all gone,” Arians said, noting a long-ago accident in a training camp where a player got hurt. “(Back then) all those brand new scooters got sold back for one-tenth of the price. The next day.”

That was in 1990, when Arians was coaching with the Kansas City Chiefs and linebacker Percy Snow — a former No. 1 pick who had a good rookie season — fell of his scooter and suffered season-ending injuries to his knee. He never was able to come all the way back, playing just four NFL seasons.

Peterson knows Arians’ concerns. All the players do.

“Everybody has been very very cautious and safe about it,” Peterson said. “We don’t have any bonehead players around here trying to put their career in jeopardy. It’s just something to keep our legs fresh. Everyone is being smart about it right now and hopefully we can keep it that way.”

ScootersBLOG

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “DBs live the scooter life — for now”

1. By AzCard1898 on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

Be Careful guys!

But, Dang that looks like Fun!

GO CARDS!!!

2. By Dynosoar on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

AzCard1898,

I’m Googling them next.

It is noteworthy that someone’s career suffered (apparently) due to a scooter. Wow!

3. By Dynosoar on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

So I went to the link Darren provided above “are pretty cool” and these are $200. These do look pretty sweet. Not sure I’ll ever get one, but maybe…

4. By mal on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

Darren-

Last year you provided a link to live-stream all Cards’ pre-season games for $20-ish.

Do you know if the NFL will be live-streaming pre-season games this year, too? Thx

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Streaming

Working to get that info. They will though, yes.

6. By Scott H on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

Hey, we’re leading the league in camp injuries WITHOUT the damn scooters, so….does it matter?

7. By Richard L on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Is walking from the hotel to the stadium that difficult for elite athletes.

8. By CardinalChris on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Richard,
    I think you left out the phrase “across the street” when describing the walk from the hotel to the stadium.🙂

I guess all the golf carts were full too.

9. By brinnc on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Crap like this is why we have so many injuries, to damn lazy to walk, or even jog to practice, I can’t believe BA didnt ban these toys from second one!! I’m dumbfounded, talk about lazy!! Come on, especially PP, supposed to be a team leader, what kind of example does this set, of course PP probably needs this to transport him and the big fat rolls of cash he has after signing that big fat contract!! Here is some advice PP, get rid of all your toys and take your profession seriously, and while your at it throw away your new top of the line I Phone and get rid of twitter as well, that way there is no distractions and you can work on your game and work on becoming the #1 CB on your team first, and work yourcway up from there, this is just unbelievable, I would take football from the 60’s and 70’s when real tough guys played the game and they made $50,000 a year if they were lucky enough to be that good!!!

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Everyone —

RE: Walking to practice

No player walks to practice. They use vans to shuttle the players from hotel to stadium and back. The scooters are only being used to get around the hotel.

11. By Dr. G. on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

brinc – – yes, indeed agree…. PP is very needy for attention; this picture shows that… A G A I N…. Football always seems a low priority…always on vacation.

If time and legs were a priority, the Razor E300 may be appropriate. But these little 2-wheelers are a recipe for injuries. The video Darren links here shows an injury that almost made me hurl. As a previous Moto-Cross competitor, I see some clavicle ((collar bone)), maybe wrist injuries on the horizon. The 12-year-olds are leaping from these little devices more often than their skate boards. Of course, this is PP’s genre as well. He cannot get enough toys with that absurd contract.

Can anyone see Palmer and PP hanging out in their off time ((rhetorical))…to my point!!!

Going to the air-conditioned practices some this month…no more injuries…later Fans…

12. By brinnc on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Dr G,

It has to be a generation thing! But then again I look back at some of the stupid stunts I pulled and wonder at how I managed to live thru those years!! LOL! Iwas a moto cross racer myself as a kid, raced in the 125cc class, actually raced one year at 80cc when I was 9, the rest of the time was 125cc and one last season at 250cc but I gave it up because of the mandatory helmet rule they implemented. Yep, I was a smart one, I raced for years without a helmet!! Real intelligent!! LOL! In fact I gave it up because I couldn’t get used to wearing a helmet and it hampered my success, another smart decision, choosing success over safety!!! Of course I did spend over 22 years of my life running toward the sound of gunfire and explosions in the Marine Corps, rather than running away , in fact the one time I was wounded I caught schrapnel in the back of my calf running away from the distinct whistling noise that Iraqi mortar’s made!! Go figure!! LOL!

13. By brinnc on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

With all due respect, how big is this hotel? I have never seen a hotel in all my years of traveling around the world, that the hotel was so big that you had to have moterized transportation to get around the hotel, no, im sorry, its called laziness, or spoiled, I’m convinced if they would use the means that god gave them to get around there wouldn’t be near as many hamstring injuries, afterall, these guys are paid millions of dollars a year to play a game, is requiring them to be in shape prior to camp to much to ask?

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

brinnc —

RE: Scooters

With all due respect, I think you are overreacting. It’s a cool little toy.

2. Aug 6, 2015: Razor A5 Lux Scooter – Red | bchoice4.com