Injuries don’t make Arians flinch

Posted by Darren Urban on August 5, 2015 – 1:22 pm

The Cardinals still have 75 or so players able to practice today, so with 13 players now sitting out, Bruce Arians isn’t worried about making practice go. He’s also not worried about any of the current guys being out long-term, saying that a “couple” of the injuries could stretch to two weeks but most he’d suspect are week-long issues. Now, it’s hard to tell with a hamstring, and the Cardinals now have six of those guys, including running back Marion Grice, who joins Andre Ellington and David Johnson at that position with hamstring issues. But again, no panic from the coach.

There was good news on tackle D.J. Humphries, who hyperextended his knee apparently after tripping on the turf of the lower field. He could be out up to a week, Arians said, but it might only be a couple of days. The offensive line lost three players yesterday, with tackle Rob Crisp (knee) and Earl Watford (ankle) also going down.

If you are counting, that’s six of the players. Linebacker is down four, with Zack Wagenmann (foot) joining Shaq Riddick (hammie), Sean Weatherspoon (hammie) and Daryl Sharpton (hip flexor) on the sideline. Three tight ends in Troy Niklas (hammie), Jermaine Gresham (back) and Ted Bolser (knee). That makes 13.

But as Arians said, “one man’s injury is another man’s opportunity.” Three tight ends out means an opening for Ifeanyi Momah, who has looked excellent catching the ball since he signed and now has showed he should be able to block a little bit.

“He was one hell of a player in FIFA,” Arians said, with his reference to the “soccer” playing the Cards do in the offseason. “He was an all-star FIFA player. Now he’s a pretty good football player.”

Tags: , , ,

32 Responses to “Injuries don’t make Arians flinch”

1. By rod on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

13 players out…he better flinch.

Steve Keim will fix this issue before next season starts.

2. By D on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

Hopefully they are getting these injuries out of the way early and it’s not a foreshadow of the upcoming season.

3. By shane on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

I was watching training camp live today on nfl network and the seahawks were about to practice … but before they did they were all stretching as a team with trainers & coaches watching . And from what ive seen on there website there has not nearly been as many Injuries as this team has gone through. Just think that its a much smarter approach & wish the cards would do it .

4. By zzzott on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

Maybe time to rethink the stretching thing?

5. By krehbieo14 on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

What is he supposed to say? Based on three days of practice in pads, I am concerned about the injuries stacking up, even if some are minor. I can’t help but wonder about the training protocol some of our guys are going through. A lot of hammies plus an ankle injury and hand/shoulder issue? I would not be happy if I were Arians.

6. By Scott H on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

Well, add Floyd to the list. Just heard he has 3 broken fingers and is probably not gonna be back for the opener.

Good to hear that Ifeanyi has looked good. Can he play running back??

7. By Smack28 on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

Floyd breaking three fingers isn’t a concern? Come on Darren. The injuries are mounting like they seem to do every year. You can’t be successful if your key players are on the sidelines.

8. By Richard S on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

I remember when the Wiz left and BA came in with a new philosophy that practice time was not warmup time, that the players should be warmed up by the time practice started. It makes you wonder if all the hamstring injuries are related. Also I guess if practice time isn’t taken up by warming up but instead by hitting one another, there’s more time for injuries so you’d expect more injuries the more you practice. I remember a few years back when the Cardinals decided before the game when warming up everyone needed to have their helmets on, I believe because there was a collision during the pre-game warmups and a player swallowed his tongue. I’m not sure if that was in St. Louis or Arizona.

9. By Fred on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

The player should be in shape and stretched out before they come out for practice but injures do happen and better now than during the season, hopefully they will be healthy for the start of the season . hope Floyd has A speedy recovery , I think he will be ready for the opener .Cant wait for the start , as I ready for some Football go CARDS

10. By drummer-1 on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

I was wondering when i heard about the Floyd injury, how many gloom and doom the season is over post there would be..

11. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

Next man up. Although injuries deny reps for some players, it allow other players to step up and get the reps they need. Just builds more depth. Hate to see anyone go down, but we just have to reload. Lets go Cards !!!!

12. By Mark Hicks on Aug 5, 2015 | Reply

I just can’t wait for the first pre season game. I think the WR position is one of the best places to have injuries with our roster.. We have so much depth and both Browns can step up. I would like to think Floyd will return and be hungry to have a monster season.

13. By Betts55 on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Floyd is ALWAYS getting injured. It’s incredible. I’ve been betting people since camp started when he would be out with some injury for weeks. Same goes for a couple of the tight ends. I don’t understand why some players are always getting injured and others never.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Bett55 —

RE: Floyd “ALWAYS” injured

Uh, Floyd hasn’t missed a game in three seasons.

15. By Betts55 on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

I totally agree with people on the stretching thing. Taking that stupid attitude about “oh well next man up” didn’t work out too great at the end of last year did it?

16. By rod on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

@drummer-1

You are wrong about that, this is a legitimate concern. It doesn’t mean the season is over, but it’s NOT a good start my friend. Do you want a repeat of last year? We haven’t even gotten out of the first week of full contact yet.

17. By Marlin on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

we need the Suns medical and trainer staff………..

18. By Andy Kw on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Can we please claim Chris Cook off waivers (6’2” CB) before the Seattle Seahawks try to get him? I think it would be best to keep Jerraud Powers in the slot and giving Justin Bethel outside competition from Chris Cook.

19. By Travis on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Marlin,
    That’s funny

20. By Wecomewego on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Any news on Zastudil? Haven’t heard anything since he went on IR with his injured groin last October,

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Wecome —

RE: Zastudil

In good shape, feels good. In a camp battle with Drew Butler. May the best man win.

22. By dkerry5242 on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

The best strength coach we’ve had has been Jon Lott, hands down.

23. By Richard L on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Floyds in a contract year. If Smoke and Fire breakout this year then I expect Floyd to be expendable.

24. By Betts55 on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Urban-
    You always give some wacked out reply. He missed the whole preseason last year with a groin injury (look up your own articles) then injured his knee against the Eagles and his whole season was hampered because of those issues. Do you watch the games or just look at statistics?

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

Betts —

RE: Floyd

So you say Floyd’s season was hampered because of injuries. I can tell you the coaches and front office do not see it that way. Neither did I.

26. By mike in mesa on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

You know Keim and Arians are doing a great job, but am I the only one getting tired of Arians soundbites. The FIFA stuff etc. I was watching an interview the other day and Arians makes some new soundbite proclamation, and pauses with a goofy grin on his face so the media can react. Its getting irritating. Does he come up with this stuff all himself or does he have a staff sitting around coming up with new quips? If I wasn’t a Cardinals junkie starving for info I would quit watching and reading. But alas poor Arians, I knew him Horatio.

27. By Jim Koch on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

In reply to the Cards signing CB Chris Cook I do agree he has great size. But I heard he’s not a great cover corner and looking up his stats learned he has not 1 interception. So not sure he’d be a good addition. But I do agree Powers would be much better in the slot. Keim must continue to keep his eyes and ears open.

28. By Scott H on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

rod –

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same. I love me some BA, but….if injuries to THIS extent don’t make you flinch or at least consider that something may need to change….how is that not a problem??? I’ve been a boss before and the bottom line of being the boss is that you are ultimately responsible for everything and how your people perform. And if / when there is a problem affecting performance, you ignore that at your peril.

It’s one thing to say your people know what they need to do it and they should be doing it. But if they aren’t….it’s the boss’s job to address that.

Just sayin….

29. By Jim Koch on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

I don’t believe Floyd’s injury is a big deal. The biggest reason is that there’s a good chance he’s back for the opener. Second, WR depth is deep on this team.

30. By CardinalChris on Aug 6, 2015 | Reply

I’m just glad Floyd’s fingers don’t look like Brian Baldinger’s pinky on NFL Network. Oh man, makes me cringe every time he holds his hands up and that pinky sticks out 90degrees to the right.

31. By brinnc on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

These guys are supposed to be Professionals, which to me ut means they know what is required of them (ie…warming up, stretching) but with all these excessive amount of injuries, especially hamstring, telling me that they aren’t taking stretching and warming up very seriously!! They are paid very well so there is no reason they shouldn’t so up for camp (their work) in shape and ready to go, I blame most of the injury problems the last few years on the new CBA, the owners caved in and now these professional athletes that participate in one of the most violent sports are treated like china dolls in the off season, no full pads when they do practice (which is very few days in the off season!) the work outs are voluntary, no mini camps where full contact is allowed, no rookie full contact camps anymore, and some ridiculous amount of full contact practice once the season starts, something like 11 full contact practices once the season starts (I may be off on the number but I know it is right around 11, what kind of crap is that!) Where are two a days?? Gone!! Hell we had two a days 7 days a week (yes even Sundays!! Coach had 6am morning practice then again at 3pm on Sundays so there were no excuses with going to church! LOL!) I don’t follow other teams so I don’t know if they have 10-15 players out due to injuries, but I’m thinking the Cardinals are higher than most teams, especially the teams that warm up and stretch as a team) obviously these so called professionals aren’t taking their responsibility’s seriously, need to add 30 minutes to practice so they can stretch as a team and under direct supervision (of course the players union would probably have a cow if they added 30 minutes to the schedule!!) I just dont get the reduced practice time and even reduced training camp, we had 2 a days and it was 3 hrs in the morning and 3 hrs in the evening (except for Sundays which I noted above) and that was for high school and DivIII college, actually increased by an hour each session, plus two hours midday over lunch where we reviewed film from the day before (in other words you couldn’t enjoy your lunch because the coaches were ripping you a new backside and pointing out your mistakes for all to see, not to mention the physical training accomplished while eating lunch, you had to pay for your mistakes that were pointed out on film from the day before!! LOL!
    But as tough as it was, and the long hours we all had to put in, we had warm up/stretching prior to every session and we alo had cool down/stretching after each session, and I don’t remember many injuries at all, besides contact football injuries, something like Floyd’s injury is unavoidable and stretching isnt going to stop that type of injury! But all these guys pulling up lame with hamstring injuries without being touched, that is just pure lazy, player’s not stetching, and they should be fined, and pay a fine everyday they miss!! BA needs to step in and put mandatory stretching as a team on the schedule!! Especially if the Cardinals have more injuries than the league average!!

32. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

brinnc –

One thing is for sure – the new CBA rules related to practicing certainly have not reduced injuries. Not here, anyway.

The NFL is so contradictory with certain things. They put in rules / limits to direct how teams can practice ( again, supposedly to reduce injuries and, I guess, to help players extend their careers ) but then they turn around and want to increase the regular season to 18 games. OK…that makes sense, right?

But we sure do know that extending the season by two games would make a lot more money for a bunch of people who already have more money than they will ever need. And THAT makes total sense! Because THAT is what the NFL is all about.