Sendlein and the center position

Posted by Darren Urban on August 7, 2015 – 10:13 am

The Cardinals are working on a deal to re-sign veteran center Lyle Sendlein, Bruce Arians said. UPDATE: Sendlein has been officially signed, along with G Nate Isles and WR Travis Harvey. The Cards cut QB Chandler Harnish.

Bringing Sendlein back wouldn’t be a complete surprise, it’s something that was always a possibility as long as he didn’t sign anywhere else after being released in March. The Cardinals have A.Q. Shipley and Ted Larsen, although neither had taken hold of the starting job. Shipley lost a couple of battles with defensive linemen the other day. If Sendlein comes in he wouldn’t just be handed the job, but he would bring in a wealth of starting experience. And not having done anything over the summer, his body should be fresh as well.

The Cardinals wanted Sendlein to stick around, asking him to take a pay cut before he was released. He grew up in the Valley and his family is settled here, so it makes sense he’d want to play for the Cardinals. Details of the contract and how this plays out will be interesting. But it’s possible that this year’s big camp signing could end up being an familiar face. For now, Arians said Sendlein will simply be competing with the other two guys.

Sendleinblog

Tags: , ,

36 Responses to “Sendlein and the center position”

1. By LadyBird04 on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Lyle had a tough year with a calf injury last year. Hope that the rest has fixed that issue. He would come into camp knowing the offense and would be a good fit as long as he is in football shape.

Darren: Will the Big Red Rage be posted to this site this year? Thanks for all your insight and articles.

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

LadyBird —

RE: BRR

Yes. We are working on that now.

3. By erik on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

I heard Ron Wolfley express his concerns over the lack of talent at the center position the other day. I had my doubts as well, since I watched Ted Larsen play and saw how mediocre (at best) he was, coupled with the fact that Shipley could not even beat him out for the job. I don’t think I have ever heard Wolfley say anything negative about a player on the Cardinals so to hear him say they needed someone else at that spot is pretty telling. I always thought Sendlein was an underrated player. Go out and get him, we can’t have centers who can’t even stand up to a bull rush.

P.S.- Why is Drew Butler still here? I wouldn’t even let him back in the building. Out of all the college football programs out there, there have to be at least 100 people out there who can punt better than him. Probably more.

4. By rod on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Well, this will be cool…he’ll probably get a little raise (not much but something) and then we are pretty set on the line.
    🙂

5. By Chuck 1 on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Off topic, but the situation is irritating.

Why doesn’t Michael contact Goodell to see what the holdup is in the NFL making a decision re: Washington?

6. By Bruce on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

It’s funny. I checked yesterday to see if he’d signed with anyone else. I hear that Shipley and Larsen aren’t cutting it. Good to hear!!!

7. By D on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Darren-
    Is A Steen getting any snaps at Center?

Aldon Smith just drank himself out of the NFL…

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

D —

RE: Steen

He is third-unit. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Lyle-Sendlein-Returns-To-Cardinals/0b401aa1-2f62-4b7f-9d96-fb126a4a686a

9. By Rock on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Very happy Lyle is coming back. If no injury hangover, the center’s job is his. And contract incentives will drive his pay up.

10. By CardinalChris on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

I remember Keim saying Coop could play center when Coop was drafted. Is that something Coop would take as a demotion? Are centers paid less than guards in the league?

I haven’t heard mgmt mention Coop at center, but with all the talk of Watford’s improvement and trying to get the 5 best players on the field and Coop’s position flexibility, seems like a logical option.

11. By Dr. G. on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Sendlein has always been a fan favorite. This is a solid/sensible move for Keim/Arians.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Well this is concerning, but not surprising. Very surprised the cards did not draft a center this year.

Lyle has given the cards several good years and maybe injury is his reason for falling off last year. But the fact that he wasn’t grabbed up, is also concerning.

According to Pro Football Focus;
    Dud: Usually the steadiest of the group, the form of Lyle Sendlein (-29.1) has seen a sharp decline. Only one center had a worse rating with him with a lack of control of blocks in the run game and too much pressure allowed in the pass game being the charges laid against him.

So, did the cards make a mistake at center???

13. By Jimbowam on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Maybe with good health and a better supporting cast, he can elevate his game. Good to have you back Lyle.

14. By georgiebird on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Always liked Lyle. BUT the moves to replace him were things the “old Cardinals” used to do. I hope the Center position doesn’t join the LB and TE positions as this team’s achilles

15. By Sonny on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

It really is a frustrating situation. Lyle is a great person and teammate in the locker room but last year he really wasn’t doing well according to PFF and other metrics. As hard as it is to say about a guy like him, I don’t think he makes us better, in turn I actually think it makes us worse.

16. By Sonny on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Darren, have you heard any comments or made any observations about how the current centers were doing, other than the politically correct answer that Arians gave today?

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

Sonny —

RE: Other centers

I could see why the Cardinals would like to give Sendlein a look. Arians said Larsen has had some snapping issues, and Shipley isn’t the biggest guy against large DTs. Don’t forget the Cards wanted Sendlein in here competing all along. Just not at his original salary.

18. By DTL on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

C as weak link will be exploited. Send not an answer.

19. By Dr. G. on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Chuck1 – – Interesting; I was just looking at Kent Somers’ article that was quoted on this blog earlier. Here is the bottom line as I see it, regardless of the rumors you hear:: it is obvious to me that Washington was not truthful with Jurecki when he said he applied for reinstatement 5/8/15. ((90 days ago!))

Jurecki ran with this scoop and Somers just quoted him. Washington’s agent, Jordan Woy, told Somers: “”He PLANS to apply within the next week.”” Nothing like, “”he really DID apply.”” So there you have it…

When I stated some of the facts as I saw them, Darren replied like this: “”I see no reason to think he ((the agent)) would lie.”” He did not lie. He simply said “”PLANS TO APPLY” as I quote the az central article.

Bottom line again – – I think DWash is not forthcoming, and cannot until he is clean. So even his agent, just as Jurecki is being juked. My circumstantial evidence is that the NFL is outside the required time-line to reply, and that apparently has not happened. I just wish the media would verify “”in fact”” what they get from DWash or his agent…did not happen. If I am wrong, anyone is welcome to point to proof and I will recant…but then we will really know truth, huh?

Please do not blame the NFL…they cannot act until they have a request…. This is just STUPID as Trump says often….later, Cards Fans…

20. By Austen on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Is David Johnson still hurt? He isnt getting any time!

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

Austen —

RE: David Johnson

Yes, he is still hurt.

22. By Dynosoar on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1,

Regarding Daryl Washington, whatever it is going on I’m not really worried.

Washington played in two 11 loss seasons and didn’t play in our 11 win season.
    if he’s resolved his substance and abuse issues and plays for us again, great. If he doesn’t play for us again, we won 11 games without him and we can do it again.

Daryl Washington may be a great player, but if Sendlein says he’s out of football shape after one offseason, how much can Washington realistically contribute after over one year away? Hmmm?

Bidwill, Arians, Keim, coaches and players have built this organization to the point we don’t need any one player (well, as long as that one player isn’t a third string QB). Rather, players need the Cardinals.

How sweet is that!
    Go Cardinals!

23. By Coach K on Aug 7, 2015 | Reply

This was my concern all along. This is why I was pushing for the center from Florida st. I think we should look at Cooper for center and get Watford a look at right guard. BA said he needs to get Watford on the field. Here is the opportunity.

Coop and center, Iupati and Watford at guards, Vehldeer and Massey at tackles. Now that is a strong o-line.

24. By Steve . on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

I’m sure the Cards will watch the waiver wire closely as perhaps a better alternative at center might become available? .

25. By cards62 on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

I know this comment will not be popular because Lyle is a class act and a great team guy, but our offensive line will not be elite if this is the best we can do at the center position. Now if we are bringing Lyle in to be the backup and we will cut one of the other two centers this I can live with. Just like ever year another class act Money Mike Adams was playing in our secondary I knew we were doomed. Palmer, Fitz, and many others do not have much time left and we have so much invested in our oline now that we can not afford a weak link out of five. I know there is only so much money to go around, but we have to win now and like other Cardinals Fans have stated you would think we could have upgraded the position in the off season or move another lineman to center.
    Some of you will say Lyle was injured last year, but go watch tape of him over his career and you will see him getting pushed around. We released him a long time ago and he is still available. Sorry but if he is our starting center verses the Saints we have problems on our oline just like our secondary had issues as long as Money Mike was out there. Super Bowl with Palmer or Bust. Still can not get over how awful and I do mean awful our offense looked in the playoff game verses the Carolina Panthers last year. Any of you want to see that mess again or relive the final Pittsburgh drive against our secondary in the Super Bowl???

Go Cards

26. By Big Ken on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

Yeah. Any chance they look at Cooper moving to center? I think it was on his college resume that he’d play some at the center position.

27. By Big Ken on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

I can’t remember the pro coach, he said “Centers are not drafted they are developed.”

28. By Lynn on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

Darren:
    I posted over a month ago that I thought Cooper should at least be tried at center with Massie/Humphries or Humphries/Massie completing the right side. That would leave Watford able to fill in. I can’t think of any good reason why any of them would not at least be made to try the center position. It seems contradictory to me to say you’re going to draft the best available lineman, only to find out you’re limited as to where he can play. If Dan Dierdorf can make the switch from an All Pro tackle to center, then the aforementioned linemen should at least give it a try.

29. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

The silence regarding Washington’s situation is deafening.

30. By clssylssy on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

All the speculation about Washington…perhaps as long as we are all speculating, we might consider the fact that just maybe he’s not sure if he wants to play football any longer or even if he wants to play for the Cards. His coach is gone, many of his teammates are gone, he has had zero support from the Organization as far as trying to get him back (unlike players for the Cowboys, Patriots, 9ers, or just about any other team) and the fans are hostile–sure sounds like a great work environment anyone would want to rush back to! Could be he’s working on his own issues and trying to straighten his life out and that perhaps the NFL isn’t the best place for him to do that…crazy as it sounds, and unthinkable to many, but we’re just speculating!
    Signing Lyle Sandlein may have just been the best option available for now as he knows the offense, has a rhythm with Palmer. He’s not Max Unger but he is a good guy and positive influence for the new guys. Teams have already begun “thinning the herd” and will need to be down to 75 by the 26th so, it’s possible there could still be a talent worth taking, although the fact that Sandlein knows the job and won’t have to battle a learning curve will still probably make him our best bet to begin the season. Development of the Center/QB chemistry doesn’t just happen overnight, no matter who the QB is, so perhaps this decision was about being safe rather than sorry. It seems that when our needs were being addressed prior to the draft, Keim and Co. missed on the importance of having a good center as that’s not the kind of pick the fans are looking for. Hopefully, a healthier Sandlein will allow to move forward without the setback of having to develop a new guy.

31. By Daniel Thompson on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

We need a Center, we’ve needed a Center for YEARS. Should have drafted a CENTER instead of Riddick. Thats what I would have done. Sendlein ain’t the answer, never has been and the others 2 stiffs aren’t the answer either. Get a real Center, that is a glaring weakness.

32. By Chuck 1 on Aug 8, 2015 | Reply

By: clssylssy:

“he (DWash) has had zero support from the Organization as far as trying to get him back (unlike players for the Cowboys, Patriots, 9ers, or just about any other team) and the fans are hostile”

HOGWASH!!!

What evidence do you have that he “has had zero support from the organization as far as trying to get him back”?

“the fans are hostile”: I would say that the fans are extremely disappointed in him because he has shown no accountability, personal responsibility or loyalty to the team, fans and organization.

33. By clssylssy on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

@Chuck 1…
    I was just speculating…as everyone else has done. What evidence do you have that the Organization has done anything to get him back? As I recall, BA wasn’t even going to think about him until he was reinstated by the league and then the Organization would move from there? What evidence do you have that he has shown no accountability? As I recall, he has completed anger management counseling and his probation by the court was reduced to a few months as opposed to a year, and charges reduced to misdemeanor? Meanwhile we have players committing far more serious crimes than smoking pot and having domestic he said/she said altercations, not only reinstated, but on active rosters because the Owner/GM actively sought them out? The players want him back and probably know him a lot better than any of us…good enough for me.
    But…we were just speculating and all of this is really moot, as well as, the loyalty issues that cut both ways. It’s OK to be disappointed but it’s not like he is the only member of the team responsible for the ultimate success or failure of the season…geez, no hostility…OK, whatever! LOL. At this point, I don’t think the majority of our fans are dwelling on this subject!

34. By brinnc on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Cllsylassy
    I usually agree with your posts, or at the very least I see your point, but I have to totally disagree with your post about DWash, total bullhocky is the only thing I can think to call it. First, as part of his suspension he isn’t allowed to have contact with the team he isnt even allowed on the property if I’m not mistaken. Second what kind of support do you think the Cardinals “owe” him? He has lied to the Cardinals front office, his teammates, and all the loyal Cardinal fans, why would we want to support a grown man who can’t set aside an illegal drug for a few years while he makes millions of dollars and if he wasn’t so mentally weak he could have continued to excel for years to come and possibly made a case for himself to get a look at enshrinement into the Hall of Fame!! Not to mention he wasn’t even man enough to keep his hands of a woman ( who was holding his infant child no less!!) He is a grown ass man who has made multiple stupid decisions, coddling him and rubbing his back telling him its ok isnt the answer!! Besides, im positive the judge in his abuse/assault case ordered counseling for DWash, and I’m willing to bet the judge made it very clear he wasnt going to be able to use a doctor that either he or the team picks, I promise you the courts picked any doctor for his required counseling! ! Next, if DWash would have submitted for reinstatement when he said he did (yet another lie, but you expect the Cardinals and their fans to support this guy?) and the NFL response deadline had actually passed, dont you think the NFLPA wouldn’t be raising the “BS” flag, juming up and down crying foul, if not for DWash’s sake, they would be strictly enforcing the deadlines for legal reasons and to assist their cases in the future, No, the reason that DWash didnt apply for reinstatement when he was eligible is probably because he knows he has no chance of passing a urine test, or im willing to bet he had more than one unannounced tests during his suspension, and it is looking more and more like he didnt comply with the suspension and he chose weed over a very promising NFL career, yet you want everyone to feel sorry for this guy!? He sure wasnt thinking of anyone but himself when he failed not one, but two (possibly more) urine tests, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if he failed to complete his required counseling or any community service he may have been ordered to complete! How many chances does DWash deserve! Sorry if my heart doesnt bleed sympathy for a multi millionaire who was as talented as any Inside Linebacker there was/is in the NFL, because he couldn’t or wouldn’t delay his devil’s lettuce highs for a few years!! And as many has pointed out, we have had two great seasons without DWash, no one player is so great that we can’t do without him, with the exception of the QB position, which talent isnt always the reason the QB position is so important and can have such a huge impact on a teams success or failure, knowledge, savvy, and veteran poise under pressure contribute as well. I’m to the point of saying good riddance DWash, you have made your bed and now you must lay in it!! But the lack of organization, well I hate to say it, but as far as I’m concerned is a totally lame post, and I thought you would have pointed the finger where it needed to be pointed, squarely at the issue/problem…which is DWash, not anyone in the Cardinal organization! !!

35. By brinnc on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Love the Sendelien (sp) signing, resigning, whatever you want to call it, a feww have pointed out that the Cardinals cut LS because of contract money and not performance, they wanted him but not at the huge price he had in his contract. And yes, he had a horrible year last season, can’t argue that (well I could but it would just be to ruffle some of the long time posters that I have been bantering with for a couple years!!) But that should tell all you fans who are against this signing, how bad have his replacements?? Scary thought, even though Lyle had a down year he has given the Cardinals some great years and always worked his backside off, I think the karma he has with our QB’s, and the fact that he has two very solid guards one on either side, will stop some of the double teams that Lyle used to face, they would throw the whole dang line and linebackers at times, and even though Iupati (sp) is not that great as a pass protection guard, same with Cooper, but with two road graders surrounding him Sendelin will do just fine, not to mention I’m pretty sure the Cardinals will be scouring the waiver wire once cuts begin, problem with that is we are near the bottom of the waiver wire and twenty something teams have waiver wire claims precedent over our Cardinals!!
    Now the Cardinals just need to cut the punter (Zman is so much better!) May as well cut Simms too, he doesnt have a chance, the Cardinals aren’t cutting a 4th round draft pick after only 1 year of development, especially one who has the talent to be the Cardinals franchise QB for the next decade (if he can just get some snaps in camp and preseason and another year, maybe two under Palmer’s wing! More than likely there are also a couple of DB’s who have zero chance at making our roster with such a deep group, and also have no trade value (some of our final cut db’s have or may have some kind of trade value, even if it is only a 6-7th round pick, we all know what SK/BA can do with late round picks!) Then the Cardinals can bring in a few more players that may play a position of less strength (won’t use the word weakness as I believe we dont have a position of true weakness, especially with the addition of Sendelin!) to try and shore up that position by catching lightning in a bottle.

36. By clssylssy on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

brinnc…
    Nice to have you back. My point was that NOBODY seems to have any verifiable facts about the DWash situation and so as long as we are all speculating, I was just offering the alternative scenario that nobody has considered, i.e., that perhaps Washington is uncertain about what he wants to do, or what is best for him as he tries to get his life on track. Yes, he has made some bad decisions but, in this league, what he’s been guilty of doing pales in comparison to other players whose owners/GMs have actively pursued their return to the team. From all accounts (and again hearsay) the Cardinals FO have not given any indications that they want him a part of the team. Rather than cut him and take the hit, like the Saints did with Junior Gallette, the Cards (for whatever reason) have chosen to let this issue fester among a hostile fan base. For some teams, winning is the only thing that equates to successful business and if means putting great talents who are flawed in their personal life to work to achieve that goal, then that’s the high risk/high gain cost of doing business, and they just have to try protect their investment by offering support and getting them the help they need.
    We are suppose to be a nation of second chances who “forgive those who trespass against us” yet when it comes to sports revert to being judgmental puritanical hypocrites. Addiction is a legitimate disease, recognized by the AMA as well as insurance companies (who don’t pay for anything if they can help it), and yet fans get all holier than thou when players get in trouble with substances which seems to be yet another risk of the game. And, while I’m not condoning anyone putting their hands on another, I have seen a lot of ugly situations provoked by women in which “the weaker sex” got a major pass because of our societal bias towards men being victims (25 years working in mental health tends to open one’s eyes to a lot!). This has been a very unfortunate situations for everyone and I have to wonder if DWash wouldn’t have a better chance of starting a new chapter in his life away from here–if he even wants to play football? I really hope that those who are so quick to judge never have a child or family member who makes these kinds of bad decisions and then has to rebuild their lives while battling, not only their personal demons, but, also a judgmental society.