With Washington wait, a new #58

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2015 – 9:47 am

There is no new news on the status of Daryl Washington — I don’t know why it’s been so long, and no one I have talked to has answers, or is giving any — but there is news about his jersey No. 58. Undrafted rookie linebacker Edwin Jackson will now be wearing that number. That’s the reality of a preseason game coming up, a 90-man roster and a handful of jersey numbers already retired (and not that the Cards are necessarily moving on from Washington.)

The NFL has a rule that says two players on the same team cannot be on the field at the same time wearing the same number. This time of year, it’s not unusual for the Cards (or other teams) to give an offensive and defensive player the same number, since offense and defense wear opposite colors in practice. That doesn’t happen in a game, of course.

As of Saturday, the Cardinals had two sets of players sharing numbers. Running back Marion Grice and safety Harold Jones-Quartey each wore No. 23. Safety Brandon Person and running back Paul Lasike each were wearing No. 34. Because there was a good chance those players could end up on the field at the same time for special teams, multiple shuffles were in order.

That led to Jackson, who had been wearing 45 (and who had a big finish Saturday lighting up Lasike on a hit, pictured below), ending up with the linebacker-friendly No. 58.

The Cardinals could “unretire” one of their retired numbers, but that wasn’t going to happen. For a linebacker, the only options there were Pat Tillman’s 40 or Marshall Goldberg’s 99. (The Cards have five retired numbers: Tillman, Goldberg, 8 for Larry Wilson, 77 for Stan Maudlin and 88 for J.V. Cain. This the biggest reason why the Cardinals don’t retire numbers and instead use a Ring of Honor — NFL teams need jersey numbers.)

Once the Cardinals cut to 53, some jersey numbers inevitably will change again. That always happens. We’ll see where Jackson is at that point, and what happens with 58 then.

Jackson

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

38 Responses to “With Washington wait, a new #58”

1. By mike egan on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Pat Tillman is the only ARIZONA CARDINAL who should have a retired number. All of the other retired numbers and that includes Larry Wilson, were never ARIZONA CARDINALS. Sure, put those players in the Ring of Honor, but re issue those numbers. This Arizona, not Chicago or St. Louis

2. By BLAKE on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Edited
    Hey Darren, I’ve noticed nobody has worn A-Dub’s #24 since he left. Are they planning on retiring his number too or what is the deal with that? Are they waiting till he is in the ring of honor to use his number again?

3. By Brett In Co. on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

It almost sounds to me that the Cardinals and the NFL have moved on from Washington, there has not been any news anywhere. He is good player but you would think we would have heard something by now!

4. By Steve . on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Darren, speaking of suspended players, what is your best guess as to the eventual landing spot of Aldon Smith after he serves yet another suspension, Cowboys? Redskins? I know the Cards are probably not interested but Smith has such unreal pass rush ability that someone will take a chance on him for sure.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Aldon

Can’t say I have a guess. I don’t think he signs anywhere before 2016.

6. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Interesting that #24, usually a popular number, remains unclaimed since Adrian Wilson was released. It may mean nothing but it could have something to do with the respect everyone has for Wilson. Eventually someone will wear #24 but until then I am happy that it is “at rest”. And please pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between a player being released and being waived? Something to do with practise squad eligibility maybe?

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

JohnnyBlue —

RE: Waived/released

They mean the same, although vested veterans are released. If you have less than four years of accrued years, you must clear waivers (any other team can claim you) before you become an unrestricted free agent.

8. By dfiant1 on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Darren, Just curious is there a rukle against 3 digit numbers in the NFL?

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Dfiant —

RE: Three digits

I would guess yes.

10. By Charley Recon on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

nothing new on Washington means nothing new on the Cardinals, means move on to something else, though it is curious why so much can be heard about so many others yet not on Washington, he could help an already great D unit but if not they will still wipe out a lot of offenses, nuf said.

11. By Dynosoar on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1 and others,

Yeah, I’m with you, news on the Washington front would be nice, but as I said, I’m perfectly ok with or without him on this team. I love that so many fans want him back. I also look and see that we’ve had only 5 or so 11 win seasons since 1920 and he didn’t play on any of them. So how do we need him.

I think he needs us. I also think if I (not speaking for him), but if I had millions in the bank, I might just retire. Then again, if I made my millions playing this game of football, it’d be in my blood and I’d probably be doing everything I could to play as long as I could.

I love this picture of Edwin Jackson making a play. Maybe he can prove as good as Washington and 58 will again dominate the line.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Blake —

RE: 24

Don’t know what’s up with 24.

13. By NYCardinals on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Mike Egan,

The Ring of Honor is for the entire history of the Cardinals organization. That means, Chicago, St Louis, and Arizona. Its not an Arizona Ring of Honor. Its a Cardinals Ring of Honor.

14. By NYCardinals on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Mike Egan,

Also, induction into the Ring of Honor and retiring a player’s number are not synonymous.

15. By NYCardinals on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

I can’t believe I just wasted 2 minutes responding to such an idiotic post.

16. By brinnc on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Mike Eagan,
    The Cardinals as an organization have much more of a history than just the Arizona Cardinals, what about all of us old timers who have remained loyal to the Cardinals, I have been a proud Cardinal fan well over 4 decades, despite the horrible showing the last few years in St Louis and the first 20 or so laughable seasons in Arizona, as far as retired #’s, Larry Wilson is arguably the greatest player in Cardinals history, why punish a great Cardinal and a great football player because a tight wad owner wanted everything at the taxpayers expense in St Louis, refusing to pay any player even market value in my opinion, look at what he didn’t do the first 20 or so years in Arizona, great young players couldn’t wait to hit free agency and get the heck out of the Cardinals organization, now since his son took over and has pryed open the vault and the Cardinals hve started to turn it around under Whiz, and have went from pretender to serious contender under the younger Bidwill and SK/BA and their staffs, big time free agents are not only putting the Cardinals on their list of teams to visit, but they are actually signing (some for much less than market value) with our Cardinals to better their chances of winning a title!! But I truly see no reason to punish the very few Cardinal greats by “un-retiring” the #’s they made great!! And to be bluntly honest, why not un-retire Tillman’s number? He was a decent player and was in line for a decent contract but he was never going to make the HOF, I agree 100% that his number should be retired (and stay retired) but if you are talking about un-retiring #’s, you either keep them all retired as they should be or unretire all of them! Tillman’s # is retired for what he did off the field, not on the field, and not many people appreciate what Pat Tillman did by turning down a multi-million dollar contract to serve his country after 9/11, I served this great nation for 22+ years in the Marine Corps (I was never anywhere talented enough to have to worry about choosing between a million dollar contract or military service! LOL! But I did wear #24 all 5 years of football I played, as well as the 5-6 years I played in the Marine Corps, maybe that is why the Cardinals aren’t using AW’s #, maybe they somehow found out that I have been a Cardinal fanatic well over 40 years and they somehow got wind of me wearing #24 for my entire career!! Yeah, that’s probably it,!! LOL! In my time in the Marine Corps I have seen more than my fair share of combat (even recalled for what is supposed to be my final tour, which I spent at a tiny remote combat outpost, missing most of last season, returning stateside the day prior to the Superbowl, which if not for the numerous injuries to almost every key position (especially QB!) our Cardinals would have been the first to win a Superbowl on their home field!!! But with combat tours in the First Gulf War, Somalia, Rwanda, and 6 tours between Iraq and Afghanistan, I know all to well what Pat Tillman gave up in order to volunteer for not only military service, but as an Army Ranger facing danger 24/7!!! I can honestly say he is a better man than me, I’m not so sure I could’ve done what Pat Tillman did, if every other poster on this board took an honest look at himself im not sure any of us could have made the decision that PT made. And one last point, I truly believe given the type of man PT was, he would probably insist that if other #’s were going to have to be unretired then his # should be put back in use, in fact, he would probably insist his # be the first one to be un-retired!! Thankfully it is only a problem when we have 90 players on the roster, once the first cuts are made then it’s no issue at all, and by the time they are down to the final roster and the practice squad, they have plenty of leftover #’s to choose from!! I would think that any of the players whose #’s are retired wouldn’t mind if they were put to use during training camp, because that is the only time it is an issue at all.

17. By brinnc on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

BYCardinals,
    You! I can’t believe I wrote the next War and Peace novel trying to help him understand that the Cardinals had a storied history prior to moving to Arizona, in fact the St Louis Cardinals were much more successful than the first 20 or so seasons they were the Arizona/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals!! Its really such a small period of time where the jersey #’s are an issue, every team probably has the same problem, when we have 90 players under contract it becomes a small issue, and I’m pretty sure BA/SK and staff aren’t losing any sleep over the jersey # problem!! LOL! And the most important factor of all, why should it only include Arizona Cardinals, they were the St Louis, and even the Chicago Cardinals long before Arizona came to be, out of loyalty I followed my Cardinals from St Louis out to Arizona, but I would have followed them to Tokyo! ! More than likely I have been a Football Cardinal fan longer than the poster who suggested the unretiring nonsense has been alive on this earth!! LOL!

18. By brinnc on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

NYCardinal. NOT BYCardinal…typo, truly sorry!!

19. By Sati yeh on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

We need D wash back 100% minter can’t get it done

20. By krehbieo14 on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Sati yeh-

The Cardinals do not NEED Daryl Washington. He was a football player who currently carries excess baggage. Because of his enormous talent, the Cards took risks with him that were financially costly. I can only assume that things have been quiet with the Commisioner’s office because DWash has not yet met league protocol. No conspiracy here. Just a sad situation. Minter is more than capable of handling the ILB role and the Cards have others in that room such as Demens, Carson, Fua and Jackson waiting to show their stuff in preseason. I could care less about whether Washington ever returns. The Card’s organization and their loyal fans have been victimized by one player’s irresponsible behavior and deserve all of our support.

21. By Kurt on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

D Wash soon B D Gone

22. By rod on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

He may or may not be with the team is fine, what the issue is is the not knowing. It won’t hurt if he’s not with the team because we’re so used to it, but is the “mystery” of “why” don’t we know…that’s all.

23. By All day on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Mychal Kendricks *drops mic leaves room*

24. By 40 Red on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

Hey BRINNC, whoever you are god bless yer buddy. You are what this great nation is all about. Screw the doubters, Pat Tillman made a choice and that choice was not for the faint of heart. A great guy with a great philosophy to life who was a true patriot.
    Now get this, I’m an immigrant who is now a US Citizen. A 15 year season ticket holder and been to 15 away stadiums to watch the only team I know. If PT was a part of every NFL team…wow. RIP Patrick Tillman we will never wear a shirt in our stadium that does not sat 40 Tillman. My license plate is 40 RED!!!

25. By Rich Atchley on Aug 9, 2015 | Reply

To be absolutely in the dark about DWash is a total injustice to the fans of NFL football. I can’t think of any justifiable reason not to at least give the fans some idea of what to expect (time frame wise) with DWash. I think the waiting game just makes Goodell look bad and can’t, for the life of me, understand what purpose this lack of information serves.

26. By Lee W. Flanagan on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

Wow! The whole Darryl Washington “thing” has really been a coin toss with me. I remember the impact that he had when he came back from his suspension after missing the first four games of the 2013 season. Hands down he can make a major impact…maybe even give us that “win” that could take us to the Super Bowl or even be the difference in the Super Bowl.
    On the other hand, the Cardinals seem to be building a new “BRAND’ . I really like the group of guys that the Cardinals have had on the roster the past few years. They seem to be well spoken and really inteligent indivuals. I believe that the organization is “setting the bar” that can lead the NFL and that can maybe be the difference when players are choosing between the Cardinals and another team.

27. By Lee W. Flanagan on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

With the jersey number issue, why not use retired numbers? Wouldn’t that propetuate the legacy of these individuals? After a while nobody will even know who these people are anyways. I thing that some players would wear those retired numbers in rememberence.

28. By satiyeh on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

we all make mistakes in life, and if you want to contain mobile quarterbacks like russell wilson you have to have dwash he is the best ILB in football period nobody can fill Dwash’s spot, nobody

29. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

Darren….just now noticed your rhyme after re-reading your post. wait…8. nice touch.

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

JohnnyBlue —

RE: Rhyme
    😉

31. By Nick on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

Why has it taken so long for D-Wash to get reinstated?

32. By joe67 on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

BRINNC,
    Agree with a lot of your post, but I am also a long time Card fan, as name indicates. Mr. Bidwill had a rep for being tight, no doubt about it. I know that, but he only wanted about half of what the city St. Louis ended up giving the Rams to come to town and take up a temporary residence there. I said they would only be there about 10 years when they went to St. Louis. Stayed a little longer.
    In St. Louis the Bidwills had no concessions and no parking revenue, and the city would do nothing to change that. Sometimes you have to be a “tight-wad” thru necessity. Not totally defending them, but there are reasons for everything.
    (In addition to all they gave the Rams, they handed the Ram owners 20 million in cash, from what I understand) This may not be 100% accurate but pretty close.
    Go Cards!!

33. By Travis1042 on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

Here’s an idea: Trade a player or two, that is going to be cut, with a high draft pick – maybe 6th or 7th (?), to Eagles for Mychal Kendricks . Him and Weatherspoon would make for a brutal pair! Thoughts?

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

Travis —

RE: Kendricks

Who would the Eagles want though? That’s the key.

35. By Jim Koch on Aug 10, 2015 | Reply

First of all those of you who don’t think Washington is a huge upgrade over who they currently have must not have seen him play. Second, I live in the Philly area and the Eagles are currently hoping Walter Thurmond can make the transition from corner to safety. After trading Brandon Boykin and losing JaCorey Shepherd to a torn ACL its possible they may wanna leave Thurmond at CB. How bout Jefferson for Kendricks? If they want more how bout Cards throw in a 5th rd pick and they give Cards Matt Barkley?

36. By krehbieo14 on Aug 11, 2015 | Reply

Jim Kock-

I know who Wasington is, and recall watching him play, but who is they???

2. Aug 13, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Edwin Jackson and the story of Poundcake