A Weatherspoon setback

Posted by Darren Urban on August 12, 2015 – 12:56 pm

Bruce Arians had been hopeful linebacker Sean Weatherspoon would be back at practice by today. But after coming out Tuesday to work on a limited basis, the linebacker had his hamstring grab, and both Arians and Weatherspoon acknowledged he needs more time on the sideline. It could be a week, Arians speculated, and for Weatherspoon — knowing how much time is left between now and the regular season — it’s about the regular season.

“I want to practice and be out there with my guys, get that timing down with them,” Weatherspoon said. “The main thing is, I’m on a one-year deal so I have to be healthy before I get out there. That’s what it’s all about.”

It won’t do Weatherspoon any good to play hurt, that is for sure. But it was telling that when Arians was asked, with Weatherspoon out, what inside linebacker he had that could play three downs, Arians simply said “Deone” — as in safety Deone Bucannon, who remains a top linebacker choice in several packages. There is still much to be sorted at inside linebacker.

Weatherspoon said he’s not concerned about missed time right now, although he knows he’ll be rusty. He remains mentally engaged, he said. What helps is that Weatherspoon was out for every OTA and minicamp practice this summer, so he has done that work.

The Cards did get cornerback Jerraud Powers back for practice, but lost safety Chris Clemons after he hurt his groin Tuesday. Ten Cards are sidelined with injuries, and running back Andre Ellington is still limited with his hamstring.

TC9.SpoonBLOG

Tags:

21 Responses to “A Weatherspoon setback”

1. By JosEPh on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

I hope this setback has a silver lining, that the younger players behind Spoon make a step up to be that Next Man.

Come on Spoon be the player you were at Mizzou! Be Blessed!

2. By jaime on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

the ellington thing is getting old now

3. By Ed on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Yeah Arians’ whole “no stretching” thing is clearly working real well, glad he won’t budge on that.

4. By Steve . on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Kinda funny how Arians proclaimed that the guys showed up in great shape and all of that but now every other player it appears has hamstring issues, seems like maybe a lot of these guys arrived NOT IN SHAPE. It’s still early in camp but this is a troubling trend. If Weatherspoon plays 10 games this season, I will be surprised.

5. By dkerry5242 on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

These hamstring problems are getting out of hand. To many key players are missing a great deal of practice time, which will have an effect on the regular season. Let’s hope they get this situation turned around soon.

6. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

So, the guy who broke Geno Smith’s jaw has been signed by Rex Ryan’s Bills. That did not take long. I have not heard anything about a police investigation regarding this assault but it would surprise me if it was not investigated. Whether it is or not, is this assault something that could/should result in a suspension by the NFL?

7. By Steve . on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Darren: Speaking of running backs, do you see Stepfan Taylor getting more looks this season? He isn’t flashy but he does everything well, run,catch,block,ect. I think he is better than Grice and Williams. .

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Taylor

I think Taylor’s role is probably defined by now.

9. By Crow on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Witherspoon is a beast when he isn’t hurt get over this hurdle and he can get back to his old #’s

10. By Jimbowan on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

I’m glad he is on a one year deal. He is going to put himself first every time. The Cards are all about “team first” ànd he is not. Weak!

11. By rod on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Hamstring Hamstring Hamstring…

So many hamstrings they obviously aren’t stretching properly.

I am sick to death of all these little nagging injuries that will be “ok in a week” but just go on and on and on.

I hate my life.

Darren, I still want my shirt and pen.

12. By Richard S on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

I was watching the video on going deep and #80 Momah really stood out. Then I saw the video where Wolfley named 3 standout players at the camp and I have to agree with him and think he’s really going to surprise the NFL this year. People are going to be saying “Where did this guy come from?”

13. By Fred on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

BA doesn’t want to waste time starching ? might want to rethink that.

14. By Pete on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Arians is way too old school and thinks his way is always the right way.
    Seems to me if they stretched out and got the guys conditioned correctly they wouldn’t have so many hammy issues.
    Same way he wouldn’t change his offensive game plan last season with a 3rd string QB. He threw the same play book at the 3rd stringer as if it was Carson out there.

15. By clssylssy on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

When hasn’t Spoon been injured? Sure wish S. Keim would pay a little more attention to a players medical history and games missed due to injury when signing these guys. IMO, a player who takes the game seriously will stay in shape and take the necessary precautions to insure his readiness to play and contribute. This league is getting bigger and tougher and our FO hasn’t focused on durability as an critical component to getting us to the next level. Every team is going to have injuries but the really great teams who show up every year in the playoffs have figured out how to build depth, manage fitness and choose talent that isn’t flawed to start with. Initially I was worried about our defense but as the weeks unfold our offense that was suppose to be stellor, has been falling apart like a wet paper bag. Feel good stories about Palmer and Brown go only so far to deflect the issues not addressed in the off season.

16. By krehbieo14 on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

My trust of Weatherspoon is not there.

17. By Cardman on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Jimbowan,

From Witherspoon’s comments, I can understand your view. But I do not want Witherspoon to reaggravate his injury and make it worse. I’m more concerned about his health than his rustiness going into the regular season.

If my memory serves me correctly, we lost our punter last year precisely because he tried to come back before he was ready.

18. By Zachary (QuickMeUps.com) on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

I was worried about Spoon coming back to early and rehurting it, hamstrings are delicate things… sad to see it happened. Hope he didn’t rush back because of pressure from the coaches…

19. By T-Roy on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

“Come on, man!” STRETCH. That was the first thing I learned about 40 years ago when I became a QB in PeeWee league. BA swallow your, “I’m the boss” kind of thinking, Bro. Stretch these guys out. Time lost, your losing players. Forget about it. If we are hurt, we won’t be elite. Cards have the greatest coaching staff and uppers I’ve ever seen even while I lived in St.L. As a CARDS fan, it hurts to see these guys being man-handeld instead of coached, pre practice. STRETCH these guys out. We are paying a strength and conditioning coach, let him earn his pay. Well, if that is the only thing that I could compoain about with BA, then I still love our coach.

20. By Jim Koch on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

How stupid I was to be excited when Spoon signed. These injury prone guys get old after awhile. Really wish they had SOME depth there but they don’t. These young, undrafted guys are fine as backups but shouldn’t be starting. But that’s the quandary Spoon has left them in. Thanks dude. I’m not seeing team guy with him. And I love those brain surgeons who don’t think D Wash being reinstated would help. The D line and secondary look good but this LB corps is very concerning.

21. By MichaelfromStl on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Geez all the negativity, and too many opinions.. I vow to withdraw any comments from now on, until we actually get to WEEK 1 of the regular season.

Preseason games just started lol Too early to get pessimistic before the season begins