Honey Badger — again! — with “Knee Deep,” Ellington

Posted by Darren Urban on August 12, 2015 – 5:29 pm

Tyrann Mathieu had another interception today. I still say Carson Palmer is the story of camp, given how good he looks coming off the ACL injury, including his arm strength. But Mathieu is right up there. It’s easy for players to talk big in training camp, about how ready they are to have a big season. But when the Honey Badger says it, it’s been tangibly backed up by what he’s done on the field. His game is to be all over the place and make things happen for the defense, and that’s exactly what Mathieu is doing.

— I know someone will ask. It was Drew Stanton who threw the pick. Stanton had a couple of nice TD passes later.

— D.J. Humphries was hoping to keep that “Knee Deep” nickname in-house, but Bruce Arians let it out of the bag. “I didn’t think that was going to make it to the media,” Humphries said. “I’ve been called that since OTAs.”

Is it valid? “Uhhhhh …. you’ll have to ask them about that,” Humphries said. “I hear it a lot, so I guess it is.”

Humphries said he feels no pain in his knee. He admits he can tell he missed some time, but not so much that he’s behind.

— Running back Andre Ellington got in some 11-on-11 work. While still limited, he did look impressively quick on one screen pass, the first real hint of what the Cardinals will have once he gets fully back on the field. Ellington said he’d play Saturday, but that’s still up in the air. Methinks the Cards will want to do everything in their power to make sure he reaches Sept. 13 healthy.

TyPickBLOG

Tags: , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Honey Badger — again! — with “Knee Deep,” Ellington”

1. By rod on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

If he stays healthy all year, Badger is going to be must watch TV.

On a side note, really like that kid, his play, his interviews everything…very likeable young man.

Very happy for him and proud of him as a fan!

2. By Crow on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

hows philip sims looking darren?

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Crow —

RE: Sims

Not getting a ton of work right now. This has been Logan’s week, which makes sense — he’s going to play the most of any QB Saturday.

4. By clssylssy on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Would love to see Tyrann be the “Comeback Player of the Year”. He has the talent and I believe he can do it. Geux Honey Badger!

5. By Kenny on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

So if you had to choose Darren who’s had the better camp logan are Sims and if logan do u think he’s on track to becoming the answer for the future

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Kenny —

RE: Third QB

I think we have to see how the games go first.

7. By Jason on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Been to TC every other day so far. Been very impressed with 80, 85, 16, 14, 12, 3, 32,even 18 has shown up. 33 dropping balls, fumbling not gettin’ it done. 39 looks pretty decent.
    Hard to really say anything about the D until you see actual tackling.
    Pretty impressed with what Honey badger has been able to do on and off the field thus far. From where he came from to this is an inspiring story.

8. By Cards4Ever on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

does Honey Badger qualify for a comeback POY? He did play last year, although he missed some time with the thumb injury.
    Palmer has a great chance to be come back player, I think! We’ll let Honey Badger get the defensive POY and Carson Palmer come back POY!

9. By Dr. G. on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Rush for a TD; Throw for a TD; and catch a TD…! I am hoping Logan can join Plummer with that distinction. He certainly has the physical wares. My read on Arians – It’s make or break time if he really get the reps promised with the 1st team….later

10. By David C. on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Wish they just rest #38 couple more weeks. We already know what he can do! Just saying.. if he`s 100% on sept. 13 we`re a totally different team.

11. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Mathieu played most of last year so I’m not sure he can be ”Comeback Player of the Year”. Carson Palmer is another story. I would be very happy if he were to win that award because that would mean our Cardinals will have had a good year. AP did not play at all last year because of his suspension. Is he eligible for consideration or is the award only for players who are returning from injuries or some reason other than misbehaviour?

12. By Big Ken on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Due diligence with Logan, but glad to see it. We drafted him pretty high, give him the chance to make it.

13. By Xeano on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Darren, I’ve been been waiting on for news on Dave Zastudil? While punting the ball is generally overlooked as meaningless, poor field position affected the team heavily down the stretch. Is he 100%?

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Xeano —

RE: Punter

Zastudil says he’s 100 percent.

15. By CARDINALSIN on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Jaron Brown will be No. 2 WR with Floyd out. Ive been hearing some talk that the other Brown will be but I would be surprised with Jaron is not the #2 WR on Saturday.

Other musings:

I am not in accord with the paradigm that the Cardinals need to add a RB. Even with Ellington being limited and Taylor’s underwhelming abilities that leave much to be desired, I think D. Johnson and Williams are more than capable to be very productive and main cogs in the Arizona offense. From what Ive seen at camp the rookie is very smooth with his catches, is deceivingly fast, has good pass protection, and runs downhill. Moreover, we’ve seen what flashes Williams had last year and I expect that to continue and maybe become more pronounced. Continue to limit Ellington until the 3rd preseason game and give the rest of the RB corps the much needed time to sharpen their game.

Drew Butler is the absolute worst punter to collect an NFL check. He is crushingly slow to put his foot on the ball, and when he does you end up wishing he would have took his time to get it right.

I think most the most interesting position to watch is at TE. Fells has looked very good, and you can tell he has worked hard this off-season to improve. If Momah plays anything like how he has practiced, he will be what Arizona has sorely needed for a decade now. Looks like we might finally have a threat at TE!

Im excited for the lights to come on.

16. By Jim Koch on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Suddenly the TE position is looking deep. I liked Fells last season and I’m thinking he could be even better this ur. Gresham is a proven commodity. Momah has shown fine hands. If Niklas could stop getting injured I think he could live up to his 2nd rd status with his size and receiving ability.

17. By cards62 on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Thank you to you fans who go to practice and share your views with us. Being in Jacksonville just can not make it to any practices, and this input with Darren’s input is much appreciated. Cardinalsin I hope you are right about running back and tight end. It has been so long since we have had a tight end to be excited about or proud of so this could really open up our offense if we can also run the ball for over 4 yards a pop. Our longest run from scrimmage last year was 22 yards. Concerning running back Ellington I love but we know we have to limit his touches or he will not be the same back come play off time. Johnson I am excited about based upon draft talk that not only is he a good runner but also a good blocker and pass catcher out of the backfield. but guys I watch a lot of college football, but I never was able to watch any of his games. I have watched his highlights but small college running backs are a risk so I hope we have a Cardinal Fan on our blog that is also a Northern Iowa Fan who can let us know more about David Johnson

18. By amki on Aug 14, 2015 | Reply

As a New Orleanian, I’m a Saints fan, of course, but the Cardinals are my “2nd team” because of Tyrann. Of course, I know his story, and I am so proud of what he has accomplished (and thankful for Patrick Petersen and his help). Tyrann has a very special place in my heart, and I follow what he’s doing as much as I can.

I was devasted when he got hurt and became ineligible for Rookie of the Year. I have NO DOUBT that he would have won hands down. I am so glad that he is mentioned frequently on this site so that just maybe i’ll be able to follow him throughout his entire career…I’m quite old and might not make it.

Wish they’d make a movie of his life and that he could play himself in it; His poise and articulate manner in interviews makes me sure he could do it, and the camera really loves him!

Take care of him, Cards and fans. He is SPECIAL!

2. Aug 13, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Edwin Jackson and the story of Poundcake