Smokey on the move, and #CardsCamp notes

Posted by Darren Urban on August 12, 2015 – 8:46 am

Tangible evidence of the relationship last season between Carson Palmer and John “Smokey” Brown was seen every day after practice. The locker room at the team’s Tempe facility is generally separated into position groups — except Palmer insisted Brown’s locker be installed next to his, so his mentoring of Brown could find easier access. That’s changed. The locker room has been redone in Tempe — it’s really quite nice — but now Brown has been moved back to the wide receiver side.

“Drew (Stanton) said I’m not Hollywood anymore,” Brown said with a smile.

I think Brown would have been just fine staying where he was. That tight bond with Palmer isn’t changing anytime soon — and here’s where I point out if you haven’t had a chance to read my story about the two, please check it out: azcardinals.com/smokesignals. It’s also our first attempt at a special long-form layout.

— Palmer bounced back in a big way at Tuesday’s practice. The defense “won” Monday, and Palmer had three interceptions — one by Patrick Peterson, two by Tyrann Mathieu. It was really Palmer’s only not-good (he wasn’t bad, per se) practice, and he looked great Tuesday. The Cardinals worked on the deep ball, and he was on point all afternoon.

— One more story to see, in case you missed it: I thought Adrian Wilson had some interesting comments about Peterson. The fact Peterson weighed 203 coming into camp — after coming into the league at 219 — is pretty significant too.

Lyle Sendlein’s deal was for $1.4 million on one-year, $500,000 of that guaranteed. He reportedly was offered $1.5M non-guaranteed back when he was first released. The battle between he and A.Q. Shipley will be interesting (Ted Larsen hasn’t worked at center at all since Sendlein arrived, instead staying at guard.) I still think Sendlein ends up as the starting center when we get to the regular season, but we’ll see.

— No new news on the running back/Chris Johnson front. I could see Johnson taking his time on a decision, especially with the entire preseason still to go. I don’t know if he is concerned about money, as has been suggested, but I highly doubt the Cards are going to be upping their offer.

— Drew Butler kicked Monday in place of Chandler Catanzaro. Bruce Arians wanted to give Catanzaro a day off, but the Cards also wanted to work on extra points. If Butler made the team, it’d give the Cards a true emergency kicker. And make no mistake, as much as it seems many don’t want to hear it, Butler has a chance to beat out Dave Zastudil.

Smoke4blog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Smokey on the move, and #CardsCamp notes”

1. By BigRedRageASFN on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

how in the world would Butler beat out Zasty? Butler didnt punt well at all and Zasty has been amazing for us.

2. By Fred on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Butler beat out Zastudil not from what I’ve seen, I cant think of one good punt from Butler last year, I remember a lot of bad ones. We need to do better with are punting game as field position is important. I hope Chris decides to sign, but if he doesn’t, maybe we can pick up someone ells, With all this talk about RB it should at lest send a massage to the current RB you need to step up your game.

3. By JosEPh on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Did Butler get a fire lit under him this off-season? Great if he did, not great if he didn’t.

And there are still ppl out there wanting the Cards to sign Ray Rice, even after BA said no way. Just like the ppl still bemoaning that Adrian Petersen did get traded to the Cards.

4. By JosEPh on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Correction: that AP Did Not get traded to AZ!

5. By Crow on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

ya drew butler wasn’t the greatest but hey a little competion never hurt anybody haha just kidding this is zasty’s job no matter what!

6. By Travis1042 on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

Butler was painfully bad last year. I don’t like to rip any pro athlete, because they are better than myself. That said, however. he just wasn’t efficient enough. There were a couple games that we lost, that I thought if we had The Zesty Zastenator in there, we could have put our D# in better position to stop the opposing team, and possibly win another game.

Chris Johnson, I do not want. He has always had a very poor attitude. He is still pretty good, however – posting north of 4.2 YPC last year with the Jets – but I don’t like his personality. I see him getting butthurt with his lack of carries – because let’s faces it, this team will certainly go with the RBC approach. Just his rep stating he wants assurance in the deal, because he says he doesn’t want to sign, play through Training Camp & Preseason, only to not make the team. That is a RED FLAG. Nothing is assured, buddy. Come in, compete, and win that roster spot…and his dreadlocks are really nasty – not like Fitzy’s or Ellington’s. His just look haggard and gross…I bet they smell lovey.😉

I hope Patrick and H-Badge do in fact play better than last year. Our D# could have been really special. If I’m not mistaken, PP was the most penalized DB last year – I remember he had his hands on WRs way too often. Tyrann looks like he has that ‘pop’ back in his pursuit, so far this offseason. I hope he plays a little more than the rest of the starters, so he can really knock the rust off, in preparation for the season.

I’d like to see a bigger Running Back, than C. Johnson. Or at least utilize Robert Hughes, more. He is fun to watch with the ball in his hands – he runs folks over. Or someone like RB Steven Jackson. He could be valuable with maybe 3-8 (50-125 for the year) touches per game (whether handoff or catch), in efforts to keep him fresh. He is also a standup guy, a leader, and would add so much in the form of a mentor to our very young Running Back room.

Darren / Kyle: If you were the GM, what Running Back would you bring in, and why? (Just for fun, play along!)🙂

Thanks guys!

p.s. I really like the addition of Kyle O. btw. He seems like a good guy, and writes some pretty good articles. Keep it up buddies!

7. By BIGAL on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

I don’t blame CJ2K…I don’t believe @ this point he’s after more or bigger money…
    he’s about security ie.two years @ least, guaranteed $, & best opportunity to go for the gold…ie SB! To me that puts us in (never thought I would be saying this two years ago) high competition w/Dallas who has a proven 1st Round talent OLine…Remember the Jimmy Johnson era Cowboys OLine…Larry F-ING Allen! Eric Williams! Nate Newton! Mark Tuinei! Mark Stepnowski…& their back-ups could have comprised a starting OLine on any team even today! Kevin Gogan, Derek Kennnard, Dale Hallestrae, George Hagemin! Holy Crap! No Wonder John
    Madden used to get soo excited doing all those Cowboys games back in the 90’s!
    And Jason Garrett had a front seat, having been uprooted by Troy Aikman. Honestly ya’ll, I hate the Cowboys! Cause when I 1st came to AZ we had no pro team at all, only the Suns basketball team… they were everything back then!
    And hell, I got to say it for all us old Farts…Remember when we only had 3 TV networks vying for the growth of people viewing Football? And then FOX came to the market & then HBO cable, & then Satellite & Cable exploded & then…

Anyhow, I get the whole CJ2K deal…but at this point if it were my team…if I was SK or BA….& key phrase is “at this point” I would not have a problem bringing Ray Rice in for a look at least! Who could/would/should possibly be more motivated to prove himself!!!

Note: CJ2K would be scary behind that Dallas OLine!!! Remember where you heard it!

8. By BIGAL on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

And because I didn’t include…Butler seriously? who’s nephew/son in law is he? Really? we couldn’t find a better prospect? This is extremely bothersome! Zasty is Great! But no spring chicken…this is one position that cost us directly last year not having a reliable back-up! This does make me question & hold my Cards…on Keim??? Obviously no one keeps a back-up punter on their practice squad…unless you have a young Ray Guy…but you must have a few guys out there that you monitor.

9. By Duane Spencer on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

As far as CJ2K goes, I think I would prefer to look at Steven Jackson to see if he has anything left in the tank. He used to kill us running it up the gut. He had a wasted time in Atl…but hey, I would like to see a proven between the tackles guy come in for a change of pace…

10. By William Barry on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

When all the dust settles, Zasty will be the winner. Except for a few punts, Butler was not very good.

11. By Jon Elder on Aug 12, 2015 | Reply

If you go back and watch that playoff game against Carolina you will see one of the worst games a punter has had in the history of the league. It is absolutely an atrocious display of incompetence.

If Drew Butler wins this job it means that D. Zast just isn’t the same player he once was. There is just no other way Butler beats him out.

12. By Big Ken on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

I think they are keeping Butler around just as a camp body.

13. By BIGAL on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

I agree w/u Big Ken but still…couldn’t we have found someone/anyone better?
    Love Zasty but he aint no spring chicken anymore…hopefully he can get & stay healthy & play another 10 years & set records!

14. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Butler comment by Urb was bizarre, maybe bad water…

15. By cards62 on Aug 13, 2015 | Reply

Darren you better be messing with me with that Butler comment. Besides everything else Butler is way too slow getting the ball off. If he is close to Z we better get another punter into camp immediately. Take a drive to Alabama and do not leave the campus without their punter.

Go Cards and Darren that is not nice I am already worried about linebacker, 3/5s of our oline, and running back, and now I have to add punter to the equation until at least our first preseason game.

Go Cards and go Z