Gunter’s turn, and “ask Daryl”

Posted by Darren Urban on August 20, 2015 – 5:24 pm

The Cardinals have a week left of training camp. The current week ended a little rough, with the Corey Peters and Mike Iupati injury news, but these things happen. And as harsh as it sounds, defensive line was probably the best position from which the Cardinals could handle losing a starter for the season. It’s just as Bruce Arians said, though, you don’t want a rash of injuries at the position.

We’ll see how Rodney Gunter comes out as starter. He’s a long way from between the orchard and the graveyard. He crushed Chiefs quarterback Aaron Murray in last week’s preseason opener and the day Peters got hurt in practice, with Gunter at defensive end, he knocked back tackle Bradley Sowell so violently that it drew “ooohhhs” from the defensive players watching the play.

— Running back Chris Johnson came off the practice field when the workout was over Thursday with a wrap on the back of his upper right leg. Don’t know what it means yet. Earlier in the day Bruce Arians said Johnson would get five or six carries against the Chargers Saturday.

— Much deserved praise came Tyrann Mathieu’s way when he had his interception-fest in practice last week. It’s worth noting safety Tony Jefferson came up with his fourth pick in five practices Thursday. I do not expect anything to change with his Madden rating, however.)

— Many, many requests, both in the comments here and on Twitter, for Daryl Washington information. Arians too was asked for answers, with the reporter noting that many fans — the “Birdgang” — had been wanting to know what’s up.

“Ask Daryl,” Arians said. “I’m not allowed to talk to Daryl. The league hasn’t notified me of anything, so I would ask the Birdgang to please call Daryl.”

TC15.MoreRodtweet

Tags: , , , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Gunter’s turn, and “ask Daryl””

1. By jaime on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

GUNTER Time!!!! Cant wait to see this tank destroy O-lines, eat up backs and bury QB’s into the ground!!!

2. By Cards4Ever on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

You heard coach, I need Daryls phone number, Darren!

3. By Dr. G. on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

As for #58, we have a different guy now. The previous #58 is still dirty as I have posted too many times. He must take action; the league will not change his stinky diaper….Yea I’m pissed that some feel they are hostages…. BA has the correct approach here….STILL…!!!

Looking forward to the season Cards Fans…It’s football… Having an interest in the new players renews my interest in the lowly pre-season games that some don’t watch. Go Forth, my Birds…!!

4. By Eric G on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

My reaction to Peters, Iupati and Washington news will not get an R rating.

Ugh is the best thing I can say at this point.

5. By sbrown on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

until either the League or D Wash makes some sort of statement… STOP ASKING about D Wash !

yeah, it sucks that the team does not know, but it is what it is…

6. By Patrick on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Good update, can you give me DWash’s phone number please..

7. By fozzybear on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

These injuries just keeps you from cutting good players. Now they might keep both Ta ‘amu and X Williams. That would be great. You get to let the young guns on the D line show what they can do. Gunter pushing Sowell on his back is not easy to do. Gunter is going to be turning heads this year. . . Wow. This kid hasnt even scratched the surface of his potential. Reminds me a little of Eric Swann.

8. By JR on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

I know “these things happen”, but it is not good that Lupati is needing surgery. I want my quarterbacks protected and my running backs to run, and Lupati was supposed to be a major part of that.

9. By Steve on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Darren: From the little I have seen of Gunter, he looks like quite the athlete, quick and explosive, traits that I think would better serve the team at DE rushing the QB instead of playing nose and being asked to tie up blockers. Why couldn’t Ta’amu and Xavier Williams rotate at NT and just let Gunter be our next Darnell Dockett? Thoughts?

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Gunter

The Cards are doing things differently up front this season. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/A-New-Breed-Of-Nose-Tackle/2bc8340f-7e78-4723-8c58-b1c97b554df1

11. By rod on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

@sbrown

You can’t tell us what to do.

12. By Eazy E on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Man this sucks! Peters was going to have a good season in this scheme. I would still look at the waiver wire because Gunter is a defensive end and not a nose. He has to be one now, but there is a big difference! I can’t wait to Daryl comes back and tears the league up again!

13. By Garth Short on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

BA said for fans to call Daryl. Why doesn’t he suggest that they call the NFL?

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Garth —

RE: Calling

Because given the privacy rules with the CBA and the substance abuse program, Daryl is the only one who could publicly reveal anything.

15. By Mornola on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Professional football is getting to be hard to follow with all these serious season ending injuries. Will the NFL still be dominant in 10 years? This lifelong football fan is starting to wonder.

16. By Big Ken on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

TV trivia-“Am Larry and this is my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl.” He’s probably not even going to be the same football player if and when he gets back on the field.

17. By jeffgollin on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

No problem with the League coming down hard on Daryl or any other offender; but I do think there’s something wrong and unjust about holding a player incommunicado in “suspension purgatory” with no indication as to when the suspension will be lifted (or why).

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Jeff–

RE: Purgatory

I agree it would be unjust if the player didn’t know what was going on. But how do you know he doesn’t? Let’s put it this way — if Washington truly felt he was being wronged here, he and his agent (and the NFLPA, I’d think) would be making a major stink, no? The team can’t talk to Daryl, but Daryl could do an on-the-record interview or put out a statement if he wanted.

If you are saying it’s unjust that the public at large doesn’t know, I disagree there.

19. By Kevin S Mesa on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Daryl Washington is unlikely to play another game for the Cardinals. Get over it, fans.

20. By rod on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

@Darren

Purgatory

Pretty sure DW doesn’t know what’s going on, otherwise he wouldn’t have said he’d be ready for training camp. And recently he told some boob that he expects to hear something soon. I say boob because the guy who talked to him should have asked DW “what causes you to believe you will hear something soon”, but he failed and didn’t ask.

Either way, to me it doesn’t appear that DW believes he is in the doghouse.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Doghouse

Maybe not. But he also told everyone he wouldn’t get in trouble again after he got his first four-game suspension: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2014/05/30/ramifications-of-washingtons-suspension/

And then, well, you know the rest of the story.

22. By Peter on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

A good friend of mine used to be D Wash’s pool guy. Maybe he knows?

23. By Peter on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

So I talked to my buddy the pool guy and he said that he talked to Daryl last night. Apparently Daryl is “waiting on the commissioner”. Not much to gain from that, but I trust my friend, so I believe it.

24. By sbrown on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

@ rod,

hey, after what 16 months, it is time to move on. As fans yes we would like to know the status and if D Wash will be back, but until the League , or D Wash releases information, well… you can wish in one hand and spit in the other and see which fills up first !

The Cards have a great group of players in camp now. We as fans need to get behind these players and get ready for a great season, with or with out D Wash.

25. By Scott H on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Peter –

Does your pool guy know where Jimmy Hoffa is, by any chance?

26. By Scott H on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Supposedly, the Japanese word for danger is made up of two characters, one representing danger, the other opportunity. The Japanese tend to be philosophical about things ( then again, the Japanese don’t seem to be big football fans, either ), so….maybe I can do the same.

The loss of Peters is a considerable blow but there is now an opportunity for this Gunter kid to step forward. So…go get ’em, kid.

I wonder how the Japanese say Next Man up…..

27. By clssylssy on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Unlike some other players who are back in their respective lineups, I don’t think Washington even committed a felony? Again, I offer the suggestion that perhaps Washington is working on his personal issues and he too is confused by all the hypocrisy coming out of the Commissioner’s office. But, it does seem counterproductive to belabor speculations about his role with the team. Best to just focus on the job at hand and who we have currently to get that job done! Should DWash rejoin the team at some point, our defense will be getting the ultimate secret weapon!

28. By Dr. G. on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Peter – – Your post is flawed. DWash has duped his agent, MJurecki, the fans, and himself. HE HAS NOT APPLIED FOR REINSTATEMENT, PERIOD…! If he had, ((May 8th)) there would be some news. That is what the RULES call for. Don’t be another person that is duped by this nonsense. DWash is not a victim of anything but his own personal deceit…multiple times. This is 4th dirty time to dupe all of us.

Between the lines, I now think Darren ((and the staff)) believe what I keep posting…he just can’t say until the facts are presented. None of any rumors ((Jurecki)) make sense. DWash lied to him…. I am open to some FACTS that prove me wrong….AGAIN, & AGAIN….’nuf for now…

For now, I root for Logan to get jiggy widit on Saturday……later Fans

((Please hold your arguments until you have facts…thank you))

29. By rod on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

@Darren and brown,

I hear ya both.

30. By Richard S on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

@rod Followup questions like “What makes you think you’ll hear something soon?” Reminds me of a followup question I wish I’d seen asked when Hoffa was on a news show after the news something like Inside Edition where it was 10 minutes on this, 10 minutes on that and 10 minutes on what is Hoffa doing now? At the end of the program Hoffa said “I know a lot and if things don’t start happening I’m going to start talking.” I wish there was a followup question to that one but that’s how the program ended.

31. By roger on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Although I use to be a huge D-Wash. fan, I no longer really care to hear rather he is going to be able to play this season or not. D-Wash was good in his time, and even if he’s allowed to come back and all, he still has a lot of learning and catching up to do. He’s been out of football for awhile now, and even those who are great, don’t always come back fresh, the same, or better. I tend to look at the real picture, who do the Cards. have now and who will make the plays and let’s work as a team, Def., and Off., and ST, and win the big game this year!!!! There’s plenty of talent that is out there and on this roster that can and will prevail! GO Cards!!!!!

32. By roger on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Darren, I know this is way off, but any updates on if A-Dub, may coach or anything? I remember awhile back, I hear he may, but never heard since

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Roger —

RE: Wilson

Nothing was ever announced, but A-Dub is at every practice and he is working with the personnel side of things, as well as giving DBs advice from time to time.

34. By Richard S on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

The reason I remember the Hoffa quote exactly is that I was a GS-840-5 Nuc. Engr. in Alexandria, Va. making a whopping $7200 a year in 1972 when my car broke down and I met the chauffer for the Head Lawyer for the Teamsters with his Rolls Royce up on the rack and he bought me a soda with a $100 bill and told me “the arrangements have already been made, Jimmy Hoffa will be the next president of the Teamsters. I interpreted that wrongly or rightly that there was a secret agreement with the White House to remove the pardon stipulation that Hoffa abstain from Union activities for 10 years.

35. By Bruce on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Mike Jureki!!!!!!! He has D Wash’s number. Cmon Mike!!!!

36. By roger on Aug 21, 2015 | Reply

Thanks Darren.

37. By Scott H on Aug 22, 2015 | Reply

OK, there have been entirely too many references to Jimmy Hoffa here! Enough with teamsters, let’s get back to football!

38. By Bob Bendotti on Sep 14, 2015 | Reply

Where is Jimmy Hoffa? What happened to Malaysia Flight #370? And what is the status of Daryl Washington? Someone has to know something. Just give us a status report of some sort, anything at all. We have constant updates on G. Hardy, R. Rice, A. Peterson, heck even serial offended Aldon Smith and many more. I watching the Monday night game and Ray Lewis, no clean slate there, is doing the commentary. Daryl must be in Guantanamo waiting for Obama to close it down and set him free. He has a better chance of that happening than Goodell doing something considerate for the fans.

2. Aug 21, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Friday before the Chargers