Peters out for season, Iupati has surgery

Posted by Darren Urban on August 20, 2015 – 11:59 am

It didn’t look good Wednesday when the news broke that guard Mike Iupati was probably going to need knee surgery and then defensive tackle Corey Peters left practice early with a lower left leg problem. Turned out, it wasn’t good. Peters is out for the season after tearing his left Achilles; he tore his right one at the end of the 2013. It’s a harsh blow, because Peters was looking very good in his role for the Cardinals, but the Cards do have depth on the defensive line. Now, it’ll be tested. Rookie Rodney Gunter will get first crack at replacing Peters in the lineup, and with the plays Gunter has made in practice at times, the Cards will see if they can mine such talent.

“I’m surrounded by greatness. I have no choice but to be great,” Gunter said.

The Iupati injury is less severe, and Bruce Arians said Iupati could miss as little as three weeks after meniscus repair in his left knee. Of course, Arians said it could be as much as eight weeks — every person is different in recovery. Ted Larsen steps into Iupati’s starting role.

We will have much more soon on azcardinals.com.

Tags: , , ,

37 Responses to “Peters out for season, Iupati has surgery”

1. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Healed up Corey, good luck on surgery Mike, we’ll be waiting on you. P

2. By D on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

I wonder if this will help X. Williams and A. Alameda make the final 53. Gunter needs to use his speed because he will be out weighed by interior OL players he will face.

I know BA rather would go with experience OL players protecting Palmer, but Larsen a better option than Steen and Watford, probably doesn’t bode well for Mr. Steen.
    I didn’t think Larsen would make the final 53.

3. By Scott H on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Seriously? Un-friggin-believable.

I’m so damn sick of the words next man up at this point…..and that is because we saw how this plays out last year. Yeah, it was great for awhile. Then, the bottom fell out.

Don’t even know what else to say right now. We can’t go one damn day without someone else going down.

4. By Steve on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Wow those Atlanta acquisitions are really panning out, Peters done for the year and Weatherspoon cant practice…..

5. By Steve on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Darren: With. Peters out would you guess that Xavier Williams chances of making the team looks real good?

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Xavier Williams

I thought he had a decent chance to make the team even before the injury.

7. By joe Holst on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Whenever they use a “cart” to take a player off the field it is season ending, never fails.

8. By Bob on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Ted “Off Sides” Larsen to the rescue. Really hope Watford can step it up.

9. By Steve W. on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

I’m pretty sure these injuries are more frustrating for the players than for the fans. Wishing Peters a complete heal for his knee, and good luck as well to Iupati with his surgery. The Cards have shown they can weather these sorts of setbacks as they did last season, and I hope that the injury bug doesn’t bite anyone else for the rest of the year.

Go Cards!! Looking forward to watching you play the ‘Bolts on Saturday night!

Steve

10. By Ben on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

D Urb.

Interesting with all the praise Watford has been getting that he isnt sliding into that LG spot. Coaches just like Larsen’s experience over Watford’s potential?

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Watford

Watford has been practicing at RG and RT. Not LG, so I’d think part of it is the fact he needs reps.

12. By BIGAL on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

I swear I don’t know about you all but seriously! And its not just the Cardinals many NFL teams are having these same injury problems going on! What’s the reason? What’s the difference? What’s changed? I’ve been talking about this w/friends/neighbors/& guys in my main FF league that been doing this sense the
    mid 90’s…Its taken some time to come together but collectively we are now all of the opinion that ever sense the new CBAgreement…ie. no 2-a-days…they actually only practice 2.5 hours in camp…players are to stretch & get limber on their own time…& to me & my constituent’s that is where the problem lies! I been a fan, watching & monitoring football for 40 years! Yes there is sooo much more media available today…but I don’t remember seeing these same types of injuries like we are seeing today! Hamstring issues, kinda always been around but hydration & stretching daa…ACL/MCL & the recent amount of Achilles injuries… they just need to add a half hour of stretching b4 training practice back into the CBA!

13. By D on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

I would think it makes sense to kick the tires on E. Mathis, Guard. Bring him in for a workout, if he makes the 53, can always release after Iupati is back.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

D —

RE: Mathis

Why would Mathis sign a deal that would allow the Cards to cut him?

(He wouldn’t.)

15. By jeffgollin on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

This is why – at any position – there’s no such thing as “too much depth” (& why it’s not always wise to trade your surplus players)

16. By Andy Kw on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

This is what we do:
    -We sign DT Tommy Kelly to replace Corey Peters but we keep both Ta’amu & Williams.
    -Make Earl Watford the starter at Left Guard.

17. By Marlin on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Peters is a tough blow….but we have depth there. Iupati….thankfully its not season ending. Need to trade Shaughnessy for a CB.

18. By clssylssy on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Keim’s “bargain” acquisitions seem to be proving the old buyer beware warnings that usually you get what you pay for and perhaps the Cards need to pay closer attention to player medical histories before signing players (both in the draft as well as free agents). Anytime I read stories about players prefaced with an “if” (they can stay healthy etc), I see a red flag that makes my stomach knot.
    Perhaps the coach with the Ph.D might have an educated insight into ways that our players can prepare better and stay healthy?

19. By robert on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Larson is terrible, undersized and not srong enough at the point. if he was he would have won out in the center battle. I love BA but I am starting to wonder about this, specifically the fact that Watford, is a huge man and i heard BA say that we need to get him playing time..not even made the RT first team.

Palmer needs a pocket that is why we went out and got Lupiti and Humphres..Why draft a number one pick if he can’t even beat our Massey?

I’m telling you the last few drafts over all have been suspect and being a long time cardinal fan, if you don’t protect Palmer, and get a running game, he will not make it out of week 2…Thats a bet i would make right now

Just pissed off with all the injuries especially that LB weathspoon..never made the field yet!

20. By Richard S on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

With all these injuries I’m thinking that most teams (Brady is the exception) need a bad year to draft a really good quarterback and it looks more and more like this is going to be a bad year. Hope the coaches keep their jobs though. That’s always a problem when you have a bad year is the coaches get canned whether it is their fault or not.

21. By T-Roy on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Imagine if the league were to go to only two pre-season games. No conditioning in their contracts and to also not have stretching before the training camps times. 2.5 hours per day, just ridiculous. But, then, everyone keep in mind, the CBA is the players. They make those decisions. Do they really care as much as way back in the day? Money talks. Hurt or not; do you get paid? If you stand on the sideline and watch your team win, what difference would it make? Well, that is my “crabby-patty” moment. I fully believe that if the league wanted to fix some of these injuries, legs; Achilles; MAC/ACLs, then make the players stretch before practice and games. regiment never hurt anyone.

22. By rod on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

If Mathis wants to stay healthy he probably should stay away from this frigging place!

23. By dkerry5242 on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Peters had an Achilles problem in the past, now another year down the drain.
    What began as a promising start to the season is slowly eroding.
    Wasn’t Cooper drafted as a Left Guard in College? If so why aren’t we using him at that position? Only seems like the natural thing to do until Iupati comes back.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

dkerry —

RE: Coop at LG

25. By Marlin on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Everybody calm down. Injuries happen. We have very good depth on this team. We’re going to be OK.

26. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Darren- Do you think the Cards Mgmt will be scanning the waiver wire for a replacement for Peters…and/or Lupati???

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Waiver wire

Not right now.

28. By Andy Kw on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Dkerry5242,
    We signed Iupati to a 5 year contract for the Left Guard position, was a 3x Pro Bowler as a LG when he was a 49er. Cooper’s injuries eventually made his former LG job his to lose. He lost it to a proven veteran and the Cards are giving Cooper a chance to start fresh at Right Guard, a position where in 2014 he looked good in his iniury riddled starting time. He’s been playing RG throughout training camp making progress and showing a lot of promise. If we move Cooper to left guard, you thing we’re going to move him back when Iupati returns? Heck no because whoever plays RG not named cooper would have already claimed the job, putting Cooper out of the starting lineup when Iupati returns from injury. All of that progress Jonathan Cooper made as a RG would be for not.

29. By Scott H on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

rod –

Unfortunately, I agree! Hate to say it but the Cardinals are becoming the place where players go to get injured / need surgeries / be placed on IR.

Steve –

Unfortunately, I agree with your sentiments, too. You can’t build a team with injury-prone cast-off’s. You might get lucky with that once in awhile. But much more often than not, players that HAVE been prone to injury are going to CONTINUE to be prone to injury. Look, maybe a guy who APPEARS to have the talent that Weatherspoon does is worth a look. But…there is a reason why that same player is available at all. After two seasons of him barely being able to get on the field at all, the Falcons were done. Sometimes, items are on the bargain rack for a reason.

Ok, I’m venting and maybe some of my comments are a bit much. But the frustration from this is getting hard to over-look. And here is ONE criticism of this organization that I think IS valid – the bargain hunting tendencies and the one-year deals are not getting us where we want to be. Because too many of them are just that – they play here for ONE YEAR and they’re gone. So, the next year, we have a new set of holes to fill. And then? More one-year deals.

Yes, I know the team has also made some REAL quality, first-rate acquisitions as well, like Veldheer, Iupati, Palmer, etc. But these one-year deals and injury-prone bargains and not panning out.

30. By Jasiel on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren, unrelated to the subject, quick question this saturday is my first time going to a Cardinals game!!!!! and I want to know what are the general rules/guidelines that I can take to the game like posters or bags/backpacks, can I take food??? haha Thanks

wish Corey and Mike a healthy and speedy recovery.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Jasiel —

RE: Rules for fans

32. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Got to go along with Jeffgollin;

Remember a few days ago, our board of experts had all kinds of trades of D-Lineman and O-Lineman.

This is a game of injuries and depth is absolutely needed.

33. By sbrown on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

there is no “good time” for the Cards to suffer with a player injury, but here on Aug 19 is just about the best time for it to happen.
    With 90 men in camp, BA / SK has the depth and the next couple of weeks to make the adjustment needed to move players up or down the depth chart to cover the injury bug.
    First cuts are due the day after third pre season game, the cut down to 75 players.
    I know , from last season we fans are a bit jumpy about starters going down due to injury, but right now, all we need to do is take a breath and let SK/BA do what they do ! Go Cards SB 50 !

34. By cards62 on Aug 20, 2015 | Reply

Scott H and Steve you guys are right that you can not build a team with 1 year and 2 year deals as you have to build with good drafts, but most teams have to take some chances on players like C. Peters – (most sorry for you C. Peters as I know you are hurting and frustrated so best wishes for you during your surgery and rehab).

I appreciate that our Cardinals at least go out now and try to patch holes with short term deals as in years past I remember we really would not make moves and just go with whatever we had and it showed on the field.

I will not get too excited about Larsen starting over Watford in preseason game 2, but when we play the Saints I am hoping Watford has had time to surpass Larsen as a starter. Cooper Coop my man we really really need you to play like a high first round draft choice this season. DJ we really need you to mature quickly because we need you come week one also.

We play several home games early so hopefully our fans can help us get some wins before our reinforcements arrive.

Darren I like Coaches comments on D Washington so can you give us fans a way to contact D. Washington so we can get some answers and maybe help him get back on the field this season. The disappearance of D. Wash is just so frustrating and one of the strangest stories I can recall in football.

Go Cards

35. By Kevin on Aug 23, 2015 | Reply

Didn’t really want to comment but since people are losing their minds as usual its warranted.

Peters- An old cheap $ lineman who may have started but would be in a rotation. This is not the type of person you lose who determines your Super Bowl/playoff hopes.
    See JORDY NELSON, KELVIN BENJAMIN.

Iupati- May be back by week 3 or sooner. So why are we freaking out again?

I will be praying as everyone else will be in the 3rd game that no one important to the success of this team gets hurt. But as it stands now we would come out of the preseason in a lot better shape than last yr.

Calm down people.

2. Aug 20, 2015: Cardinals lose Corey Peters, Mike Iupati to leg injuries | neatsports.com
  3. Aug 20, 2015: Cardinals lose Corey Peters, Mike Iupati to leg injuries | Jeffery Lipton - freelance writer