Weaver cut to trim roster to 87

Posted by Darren Urban on August 29, 2015 – 10:47 am

The Cardinals made a roster move Saturday morning, releasing safety Ross Weaver. That Weaver was cut isn’t a surprise, since he was likely going to be in the batch that was included in the first round of cuts early next week as the team gets to 75. What it does mean is that the Cardinals are down to 87 on the roster, meaning they only have to pare 12 from the roster to get to the 75-man limit.

Again, teams don’t have to get to 75 until Tuesday but with a Thursday game and a Monday practice, I expect it to be earlier than that after the Cards play Sunday night.

That short week will make for an interesting couple of days, by the way. The Cards play in Oakland Sunday night and won’t get back to Arizona before midnight, and then have a practice beginning at 1:20 p.m. Monday. Granted, the vets won’t do much since they won’t play much if at all in the preseason finale, but still, it’s a short turnaround.

Tags: , , , ,

27 Responses to “Weaver cut to trim roster to 87”

1. By Scott H on Aug 29, 2015 | Reply

Short week, yes. But at least they’re not coming home from Pittsburgh or Buffalo Sunday night, ya know?

2. By Marlin on Aug 29, 2015 | Reply

I still think we’ll have a trade. Shaughnessy is attractive bait….and we need to enhance depth at CB.

3. By rod on Aug 29, 2015 | Reply

Watching RedZone and the Eagles look scary…Bradford 10 for 10 with 3 TDs. I don’t know how good it bad GBs defense is but wow.

4. By jeffgollin on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

I have a lot of respect for the Chipster. Hopefully, teams will start to get tape on how Bradford plays within that system and start making the necessary adjustments.

5. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

Like the Sunday – Thursday preseason sched end, gives BA and Betch plenty of time to fine tune and game plan, starters plenty of time to rest. Fingers crossed for good health next 5 days….GO Cards.

6. By Richard S on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

Look how many draft picks the Niner’s have every year. Need to keep 3 QB’s and trade other players for future draft picks. It seems like every year the Niner’s get like 11 picks in the draft and then they shop some of them around to move up to grab someone they like.

7. By Scott H on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

rod —

RE: Eagles

Yeah, but what do you really take out of a pre-season game? Defenses aren’t going all out and how long do first team players stay in? The Eagles have looked good so far, but….good in the pre-season can sometimes mean absolutely nothing.

My favorite example of this is the Cardinals! I distinctly remember a pre-season from the early 90’s. When the pre-season was done ( I swear, this is fact, I just can’t remember the exact year ), the Cardinals had scored more points than any team in the league AND allowed fewer points as well. Shoot, you might take from that that THAT team had its act together, right? But then a funny thing happened….the regular season started and it was another 5-11 year for the Cardinals. So….in most cases, what a team does in the pre-season has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Let’s also remember that Sam Bradford is pretty much the QB equivalent of Sean Weatherspoon right now. I mean, we play in the division with the Rams and we see them twice a year. But when is the last time you remember seeing Bradford??? Right! You gotta go back a bit because he’s barely played the last two seasons ( kinda like some other people we know….).

8. By Coach K on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

I’m very concerned about our lack of speed on the edge on defense. I think we will be okay inside, but I do not see a pass rush that will scare anyone yet. We have guys who can hold the edge, but I don’t see the burst.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

Coach K

Thus, why I keep harping to pick a legit pass rusher the last 3 drafts.

10. By Andy Kw on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

Im still not sure what to think of Markus Golden yet. Still looks rough and slow on the edges.
    -Had a chance on Randy Gregory, should have taken him.
    Why DJ Humphries? Would have selected ILB Stephone Anthony than have injury riddled LB Sean Weatherspoon.

11. By rod on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

@Scott

Yeah I hear you, Bradford is a walking injury but mark my words, if he is healthy that team is scary.

Ok, Cards game is starting in a minute, no injuries, no injuries, no injuries !!

12. By rod on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

UGH, we look awful.

13. By rod on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

I know it’s “only preseason” but I rather have looked like the Eagles did yesterday than the way he did tonight. 😦

14. By louis on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

it looks like it going to be a long season.

15. By TucsonTim on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

Not getting it done…2 games in a row. not even looking average…actually well below average.

16. By SCarolinacardinal on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

Defense on the field a lot, Offense looks sick!

17. By SCarolinacardinal on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

How many times did Palmer get sacked in the first half?

18. By Daniel Thompson on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

U think Keim would know something about offensive linemen…….what a joke.

19. By Scott H on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

First half over and, well….boy, did THAT suck! I say send the first team offense back out on the field for the 3rd quarter until they do SOMETHING….ANYTHING!

Looks to me like the Raiders have no fear of Patrick Peterson.

Also looks to me like Nelson understands VERY little about running routes right now. If Palmer is going to injure his knee tonight, it will be probably be in the process of kicking Nelson in the rear end for all the mistakes he made.

And it is clear this O-line is in REAL trouble. We can only hope the return of Iupati settles things down a bit. Hard to criticize Veldheer because of how well he has played since he has been here. But Mack is ABUSING him so far. And Palmer is getting abused AGAIN.

Unfortunately, getting a longer look at the starters tonight has not been a good thing. EXCEPT Okafor.

20. By Scott H on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

BTW, I’m so glad we are getting a look at how good Dan Williams really is tonight. For the Raiders, that is.

21. By D on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

They were dominated first half. Especially the online. Bruce better find a veteran Right tackle.

22. By rod on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

At least a couple bright spots, Momah and Phil Simms. We better keep both. If LT beats out Simms I will go bananas.

23. By Coach K on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

I have to agree John. Although, I think we would have taken Ray this year if Denver did not move up. Watford looks better at right tackle than Sowell, and our boy Humpheries looks more and more like a left guard right now. He has no punch to freeze pass rushers. DJ needs to go to guard for now.

This offensive line with Iupati and Massey out it scaring the hell out of me. Sowell cannot handle speed to power. He just cannot stay balanced. I say put Watford at right tackle and take a serious look at Humphries at left guard.

24. By Daniel Thompson on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

Shaq Riddick is HORRIBLE……….I called this guy out as soon as we drafted him…….brain fart pick…….should have taken a Center.

25. By Keith on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

Have to remember Arizona has a grading system, that balances skills, character and schematic fit. In the top 250 players, Arizona may only have 100 of them graded, the rest are eliminated for one reason or another. Hindsight is 20/20

26. By Keith on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

Still thought Dan WIlliams was a signing priority for us in the off season….sadly he’s with someone else. WIsh him well, it’s not his fault he was allowed to leave. He seems like a class act

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Keith —

RE: Dan Williams

Williams was given $6M a year. The Cards weren’t going to give him $6M a year.