Keim: Raiders game “a great wake-up call”

Posted by Darren Urban on August 31, 2015 – 8:07 am

General Manager Steve Keim acknowledged the obvious from Sunday night: There were a lot of issues offensively.

“It was a great wake-up call,” Keim said Monday during his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf show” on Arizona Sports 98.7.

Of the starting offensive line, Keim said guard Ted Larsen was the only to even have a solid game. But like Bruce Arians, he saw other problems, like Carson Palmer holding the ball too long a couple of times, some poor routes from receivers, and running backs failing to chip in certain situations.

“When you have so many things go wrong at the same time, it’s a recipe for disaster,” Keim said.

— Keim said the potential Bobby Massie suspension is “up in the air” until and if the Cardinals hear something from the league office.

— The battle at center between A.Q. Shipley and Lyle Sendlein remains ongoing, Keim said. (Shipley did have some issues Sunday night holding off the inside of the Raiders’ line, including ex-Cardinal Dan Williams.)

— Earl Watford played well, Keim said, reinforcing my view that Watford held up pretty good against stud Raiders pass rusher Kahlil Mack.

— Nothing has changed with Mike Iupati, other than he continues to rehab. Personally, I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t miss some regular-season time, but we will see.

— Keim acknowledged there probably hasn’t been a preseason game the last two years where he hasn’t been concerned or there had not been some ups and downs. But he also said that doesn’t mean there aren’t things to feel good about. He thought the defense — other than a couple of blown assignments on coverage — played well. And he was happy with the play specifically of linebackers Alex Okafor and Kevin Minter and defensive end Calais Campbell.

— Keim said both running back Chris Johnson and linebacker Sean Weatherspoon “have a chance” to play in Thursday’s preseason finale.

— The 12 roster moves needed to get to 75 should come today. “No reason to waste any time,” Keim said. The Cardinals practice this afternoon.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Keim: Raiders game “a great wake-up call””

1. By tkm on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

-give me all the thumbs down you want,the offensive line either gets better asap or our 3rd string qb better be peyton manning.any running game and our receivers spread the defense all over the field and its light up scoreboard time,without if better bet a whole lot of unders if you want to make money.

2. By D on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

I’ll trust Keim’s eyes over mine. I don’t see Larsen being that much of a factor out there, hopefully once Iupati is back we won’t see Ted that much.

This team needs a stud Center. Dan Williams owned them last night. If Cards have a good year where they draft in the late 20’s next spring, I would place taking a Center as one of the top needs.

Good thing we don’t play the Raiders this year..Veldheer probably had nightmares last night…good thing they really don’t face a stud pass rusher until Week 4 and the Rams.

I might start Watford at RT over Sowell.

Okafor, Campbell, Powers and Momah had good games..and the backup QB’s did well…

Hopefully C. Johnson can provide a spark from the RB spot.

3. By georgiebird on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Pre-season games are a wake up call (as SK said about this game). Playing against other teams (instead of intrasquad) will always show some unexpected concerns.
    My biggest concern is still PP. He’s lost weight, put the diabetes under control and looks like an NFL cb. BUT, ‘does PP have it from the neck up to be an NFL
    cb’? Amani Toomer (granted a great rookie receiver) made PP look quite ordinary if not overwhelmed. That confrontation should have worked out just the opposite.

4. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

DB #36 isn’t going to survive the cut.

5. By erik on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Shipley made Dan Williams look like an elite pass rusher.

6. By Steve on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Georgiebird-I didn’t realize Amani Toomer, formerly of the NY Giants, was in uniform today for the Raiders. Thought he retired a awhile ago…….

7. By Sackman on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

One player that really stood out for me was TE Momah. Great hands and built tough. I believe he needs to stay, especially if he can start blocking well.

One other player that has caught my eye is QB Sims. Sure he is playing with second and third string defenses. But week after week he plays as if he has been doing this in the NFL a long time. He does circles around RG III and he is a rookie. I believe if he is even thought of being put on the practice squad he would be scooped up as fast as you could blink your eye.

BA start him with the first string Offense next week to see what he can do. I bet you/we won’t be disappointed.

8. By DAVEMAHAM on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Shipley also appeared to have problems with snapping the ball well in shotgun. It seemed more than half of his snaps were at Palmers knees or below. This can’t help Palmer when he’s trying to keep his eyes on the defense and receivers.

9. By liquidchaoss on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

I still dont see what BA sees. But maybe thats why he is a head coach and Im not. But several times Sowell was beat, but Palmer either got rid of the ball before getting hit, or he got hit or sacked. At the same time Veldheer got beat by Mack a few times, but because Sowell was getting beat even worse we saw that more. Even Cooper looked bad at times, in pass pro he would come out of his stance with his head down like he was going to spear the defender. Shipley just got manhandled by Dan. One play Dan just pushed Shipley all the way back into Palmers legs, knocking Palmer down. So it wasnt just Sowell, but he was bad a lot of times. Watford deserves a look at first string over Sowell. He handled Mack on a bad ankle, that should be good enough.

Also why does BA continue to try and run Ellington up the middle? It hardly ever works, the guy cannot break tackles. He isnt built for that, he is built to do damage in space. I know its preseason but I dont see much improvement from this offense. Of course they are missing Massie and Iupati, but wow it was bad.

10. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

“Eye opener”…so cup half full, BA/SK know more than they did a week ago, huh.

Curious how Steen, Halapio, McClain play out, 2 of 3 PS, maybe Steen is one b/c can swing to C, all showed something to me. Crisp T, to PS.

Final Cut OL guess: 8 total

T: 3, gotta be Veldheer, Massie, Knee Deep H. (embarrassing nickname)
    G: 2, Iupati, Cooper
    C: 1, Shipley

Swing: 2, Watford as G/T ; Larsen C/G

Can’t see Kerwynn Williams getting away. How good does David Johnson look, wow.

Cuts public in 2-3 hours huh, some will have been told already per SK on 98.7… I know nothin but love this process, preseason is great stuff.

11. By jaime on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

that 1st string O-Line was Horrible!!! I couldn’t believe what I watched. Out of sync is putting it lightly. Just hope it was a fluke and come game one The Dogs are ready cuz that was a kitten show in oakland.

12. By rod on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

@Darren

Why does Ron Wolfley call Steve Keim “Decka”?

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Wolf

Not sure. You’ll have to ask him.

14. By Dynosoar on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

So my modified 53, only one change from before. I missed and thought Cariel Brooks was injured and he’s not, so with Shaq Riddick cut I’ll plug Cariel in. (I would’ve had him before and probably had someone gone from PS if I didn’t think he was injured. Oops. So far I’ve got one wrong (Shaq) and one I just mis-remembered (Cariel). Aarrgh!

So, let me here all the 53 man predictions out there. What have you got? Let’s see who is most BA/Keim like.

QB – Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton and Phillip Sims
    WR – Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Jaron Brown, John Brown and J.J. Nelson,
    RB – Andre Ellington, David Johnson, Chris Johnson, Robert Hughes and Kerwynn Williams
    TE – Darren Fells, Ifeanyi Momah, Troy Niklas and Jermaine Gresham
    O-Line – Jared Veldheer, Mike Iupati, Lyle Sendlein, Jonathan Cooper, D.J. Humphries, Ted Larsen, Bradley Sowell and Earl Watford

CB – Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers, Justin Bethel, Cariel Brooks and Jimmy Legree
    S – Tyrann Mathieu, Rashad Johnson, Tony Jefferson and Deone Bucannon
    DE – Calais Campbell, Rodney Gunter, Frostee Rucker, Ed Stinson and Matt Shaughnessy
    OLB – LaMarr Woodley, Alex Okafor, Shaq Riddick, Kareem Martin and Markus Golden
    ILB – Sean Weatherspoon, Kevin Minter, Alani Fua and Kenny Demens
    DT – Alameda Ta’amu and Xavier Williams

Special Teams – Chandler Catanzaro (K), Drew Butler (P), Mike Leach (LS) and Jaxon Shipley (Returner)

Practice Squad – Trevor Harman (WR), Gerald Christian (TE), Stepfan Taylor (RB), Brittan Golden (WR), Anthony Steen (G), Logan Thomas (QB/TE), Harold Jones-Quartey (S), Shaquille Richardson (CB), Josh Mauro (DE) and Gabe Martin (ILB)

15. By Daniel Thompson on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Shaq Riddick sucks.

16. By shane on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

I think everybody will be very happy if massie doesn’t miss time lol but i think Watford should start if massie does miss time.. he looked alot better than bradly.

17. By Scott H on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Weatherspoon has “a chance” to play on Thurs night? Really? I’m not even on the team ( or any other for that matter, just in case you were wondering🙂 ) and I think I might have about as good “a chance” of playing Thurs night as he does!

Sorry, I hate to be such a nag about Weatherspoon, but….he really isn’t giving me much of a reason to shut up.

18. By dkerry5242 on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

I still think Iuapti will miss the first three games. Shipley looks shaky. Peterson is still getting beat, I hope when the season starts he cleans that up. Okafor looks ready. Sims over Thomas all day. Momah tougher than I thought. JJ Nelson looks lost running routes.

19. By Tim H on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Why do we still hear “communication problem between Carson and …. He thought he was going to stay vertical and he cut..” I don’t see any other team having this problem. I said the same exact thing early during the season last year. Is Arians playbook that confusing or what is the problem here? This is what is killing this team and it hasn’t changed in 3 years.

20. By georgiebird on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Please excuse my flub on the receiver who turned PP inside out in the Raiders’ game. No, it wasn’t Amani Toomer but the rookie Amari Cooper. I doubt at this date, that Amani Toomer could do that to PP.

21. By erik on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Everyone,

Shaquille Richardson (CB) was cut, not Shaq Riddick. Let’s give Riddick a chance before we say if he is a bust or not.

22. By Dynosoar on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Erik,

man my eyes ar bad these past few days. I’m glad Riddick is still in the mix, I like what I’ve seen from him.

Georgie,

I’m making typos like you as well. Man, gotta fix that.

Scott H.,

Weatherspoon had a line in the article about Momah making the cut I thought you’d like…

“I feel I have time to get ready for whenever they need me,” Weatherspoon said.

I guess that “whenever they need me” doesn’t include pre-season. Haha. Sorry Sean, but I had to throw that bone out at my man Scott. We’ll see Weatherspoon, I think.

I’d hate to see him cut and not have the chance to show the NFL he still has it, because of a hamstring injury. That would bite.

23. By Scott H on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

Wow….Zastudil has been cut and Butler is now our punter. That has the sound of a nightmare come true, but…..hey, if the coaches that are there every day are making this call based on what they are seeing…..there must be a reason.

This is the same Butler as last year, right??? They didn’t go out and get another one, did they? Sorry, but after what I saw last year….I had to ask.

If Butler looks no better to me through 5-6 games, I will lose my freakin’ mind – especially if it looks like they are making no efforts to look at other punters.

We’re not taking Ginn Jr back, too, are we???

24. By TucsonTim on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

When you hear the phrase, “wake up call”, drop your jocks and grab your socks…there is a whole hell of a lot to be worried about. What I saw was a very unprepared poorly played offensive game against one of the worst teams in the NFL.

There isn’t anything good to say about last night’s game….period. Cardinals look poorly conditioned, ill prepared for individual match ups, small in the defensive secondary, terrible protection and once again the first team could not run the ball.

Not pressing the panic button, but I can certainly see it from where I sit.

25. By Richard S on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

I remember BA saying he didn’t need a fullback because if you have a tight end playing instead of a fullback it makes the defense unsure of the play calling whether it is a pass or a run. I guess Palmer didn’t have enough plays to hit a tight end as it seems to make BA’s philosophy work, the tight end needs to occasionally catch a pass. Momah looked good when Logan hit him. Here’s my initial point rating system which will use an algorithm each game where predicted point spread giving 3 extra points to the home team versus what the actual spread was divided by 10 and then the system will adjust (add or subtract that number) from the two teams involved based on what happened. The initial order ranking is plagiarized from ESPN’s Football power index rankings for 8/31/15. The numbers initially assigned to each team come from a belief that the best team and worst teams in the league are about 20 points different, so I just rated each team 0.6 points different from the next team. GB 99.6, Seattle 99.0, Indy 98.4, Denv 97.8, NE 97.2, Dall 96.6, Phil 96.0, Balt 95.4, Pitt 94.8, KC 94.2, Mia 93.6, NO 93.0, AZ 92.4, Cincy 91.8, Buff 91.2, Hou 90.6, Carolina 90.0, Det 89.4, Giants 88.8, SD 88.2, Atl 87.6, StL 87.0, Minn 86.4, Jets 85.8, SF 85.2, Chi 84.6, Cle 84.0, Wash 83.4, Tmpa 82.8, Jax 82.2, Tenn 81.6, Oak 81.0. I think ESPN may have underated Oakland. Fortunately a minimum of injuries in the game although Oakland had a player mess up his achilles. Right now the magic number for the Cardinals to clinch the homefield and top ranking in the playoffs stands at 16.

26. By Credit Card on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

I highly doubt if BA or SK will indicate the O-line was beaten physically. Other teams will zero in upon that type of publicity, causing this teams] a complete disaster,

It is obvious the O-line needs help, and lots of it. The entire 1st team unit looked poor, and for the most part were both slow at point of attack and physically soft.

Three weeks the Cards will get Iupati and Massie back, but they too, will be rusty for at least the 1st half of the 1st game back.

Cooper, Larson, and Shipley were being pushed back routinely. Edge protectors do little good if the interior line continually collapses.

I’m concerned. Sendlien and Watford will be better than the current situation, but still not good enough. I see issues here, making Palmer iffy playing in over 1/2 the season.

27. By Coach K on Aug 31, 2015 | Reply

I hate to say it but after playing back the play calling in the first half, B.A. needs to adjust his play calling more towards the run game. His play calling is not balanced and is putting Carson in some obvious pass situations allowing the defense to get the jump. Yes, the Offensive line is not looking good, but the down and distance has been poor thanks to poor play calling in various situations.

Is Keim just watching the players, or is he evaluating the coaches and B.A.’s play calling as well? If not, he should. Friend or not.

28. By Daniel Thompson on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

Butler is a better punter than Zastadil……seen it with my own eyes in training camp……probably makes less money too…..not worth keeping Zastadil, my only concern is Butler holds the ball longer, or did last year……..he did improve though.

29. By Cbus cardsfan on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

How can the league not yet rule on Massie when he appealed on Aug. 12 and already render a decision on Steelers WR Martavias Bryant within 4 days of his appeal?

30. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

Happy Birthday Darren

You and Larry celebrating together?

31. By clssylssy on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

After twenty + years of a few highs but mostly lows as a Cards fan, it seems that we’re sliding back so that “the song remains the same”; great hopes and expectations dashed by a terrible 0-line, QB issues, etc., SOS! Why don’t we seem to learn anything from our history and bad decisions? I don’t know of any sport/job where if you are too injured to even show up to the first work day, you are still guaranteed the position (and guaranteed money no less) weeks later when somebody needs to be doing the job you were hired for? When I look around the league and see all the talent that is going to be cut and (even with on our own team)why are we still hanging our hopes on individuals who haven’t earned a job?
    Any place else Weatherspoon and some others would have been terminated and replaced by now, allowing the team to move forward.
    What we saw last season and so far, is the importance of having a consistently strong kicker. Drew Butler hardly gets the ball past mid-field and with the new PAT rule and our difficulties converting on 3rd downs, we need to go out and find us a
    Sebastian Janikowski! While the Cards push seems to be on getting younger, we now have a bunch of good looking yearlings and green broke colts in our stable for “the future” with but a few money makers for winning now. After all these months of OTAS, TC, and heading into the last preseasonn game, to just now be getting “a wakeup call” seems a little late and more like oversleeping the alarm.
    Perhaps a small but maybe significant difference with our players I have noticed in their focus is, where last season they were focused on this week and the task at hand, this season they have already jumped ahead of themselves to the regular season and are missing important corrections to the mistakes occurring during their learning process.

32. By BigBobDiesel on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

Dear Coach K
    There is very minimal scheming in the pre-season.
    You don’t want to give the Saints anything to work off of.
    B.A. only does the play calling for the first unit.
    Without scheming against a specific defense it really becomes about the individual battles.

33. By Scott H on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

An attempt was made to up-grade at center, but…that has apparently failed. And now we are back to the guy we cut during the off-season so we COULD up-grade. So by definition, we can’t be any better than we were last year at center.

Therefore, by definition, they failed to address the center position. Maybe if Iupati isn’t out with an injury and Humphries was actually doing a decent impersonation of a first round pick, this isn’t quite as glaring. But WITH those things going on and our starting QB getting pummeled routinely in the pre-season….it kinda stands out.

34. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

Dyno:

Really believe they’ll cut Massie after way Knee Deep and Sowell played?

I got Sendlein and Sowell being cut (what I think they’ll do, not what they should do, don’t know what they should do at C unless get a FA casualty). Gotta keep Knee Deep on potential, obviously very athletic, with all his whiffs. None of Sendlein, Shipley, Larsen looked good at C fwiw. Larsen can be C backup and Steen on PS as 2nd C backup, but no good choices as starter…all have been susceptible to being bull rush run over by DT or NT…

DTL

35. By clssylssy on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

@ Tuscon Tim
    Very well stated! While this is no laughing matter it’s always good to keep your sense of humor. When the announcer stated the Cardinals would have the ball on second base, I had to laugh and think that was pretty appropriate for the wack game we were watching!

36. By Chuck 1 on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

What’s the over/under on the number of blocked punts that Butler will have this season? Three or four or ????

37. By Chuck 1 on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

I’d give Keim a C- on his attempt to upgrade the O-Line.
    It’ll take at least one more draft and FA period to achieve that goal.

38. By sbrown on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

Patrick Hoog :

Massie will stay a Cardinal this season, he is in the last year of his rookie deal. That is another reason that Humphries was drafted. This was to be a “red shirt” season, no way that Humphries was going to be a starter this season. Just at 21 years old, ( and told to stay in college ) that with the BA comments all look as Humphries much better after a year under his belt.

Issue at center, I think is important, tough to see Shipley be the starter, but Thurs game will decide who they keep as starting center.

39. By Scott H on Sep 1, 2015 | Reply

Anyone concerned about the center position –

I have to wonder if the team will be looking at whatever centers become available during the wave of roster cuts to come. You would not expect a real quality player at that position to be thrown on the scrap heap, but…..then again, even a decent player at that position would compete with what we have right now.

40. By Eazy E on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I hope CJ2K and Spoon play. I need to see them before the Saints game or at least I hope.