One guess at the 53, 2015 edition

Posted by Darren Urban on September 2, 2015 – 3:55 pm

Bruce Arians always likes to say the Cardinals aren’t the Cardinals until the roster is pared down to 53 players, because before that, it’s every man for himself fighting for a job. Well, the Cardinals are about to become the Cardinals.

The team must trim 22 off the roster by Saturday at 1 p.m. Arizona time, and the likelihood is that, like last year, those cuts won’t be announced until then. There is also still a preseason game left to be played, and Arians suggested there are still up to 12 roster spots that could change given what happens. That seems like a lot. Usually, by now, the roster is relatively firm in the eyes of the front office, save for a few spots. Given the depth this year, it might be harder.

One caveat when it comes to these predictions. The Cardinals have been active on the waiver wire, adding at least one claim as the regular-season starts. That’s a wild card that can’t be predicted right now. The 53 on Saturday often isn’t the 53 that goes into the locker room the morning of the opener. Always something to keep in mind. As you do, here is my guess of how this filters out:

QB (2): Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton. The Denver game will go a long way toward figuring who could be a third quarterback between Phillip Sims and Logan Thomas, but given the other needs on the roster, I think the Cards take the risk and go with only two quarterbacks. Sims seems to have the edge right now, and he could be brought back on the practice squad.

RB (5): Andre Ellington, David Johnson, Chris Johnson, Stepfan Taylor, Robert Hughes. This is tougher. I think Taylor has a shot to stick because he is effective on special teams. But there is a chance the Cards go with four and gain a roster spot elsewhere.

WR (5): Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, John Brown, Jaron Brown, J.J. Nelson. There has been a lot of talk about six wide receivers, but injuries at tight end and the offensive line may just make that too difficult right now. Brittan Golden has a shot as No. 6 if people get healthy.

TE (5): Troy Niklas, Darren Fells, Ifeanyi Momah, Jermaine Gresham, Gerald Christian. Right now, it’s tough to know if Niklas or Gresham will even be healthy enough to start the season. In an offense where you need two on the field a lot of the time, I almost think five is necessary right now.

OL (9): Jared Veldheer, Ted Larsen, Lyle Sendlein, A.Q. Shipley, Bobby Massie, Jonathan Cooper, Earl Watford, Mike Iupati, D.J. Humphries. This one is very difficult right now. Iupati is hurt. Massie might not be available – but right now, is destined to count against the 53-man roster. If Watford is the starting right tackle, I’d guess Sowell would be out with Humphries around. But it could also be whomever doesn’t win the Shipley/Sendlein center battle, knowing Larsen could back up there. Like defensive line, this will be a tough call.

DL (7): Calais Campbell, Frostee Rucker, Ed Stinson, Rodney Gunter, Josh Mauro, Xavier Williams, Cory Redding. This is the position that will suffer tough cuts (or a potential trade). Alameda Ta’amu may be out because Williams has done so well. And it would seem to come down to Mauro or Matt Shaughnessy, and if it’s close, you figure the Cards will go younger and cheaper.

OLB (5): Alex Okafor, Markus Golden, LaMarr Woodley, Kareem Martin, Shaq Riddick. Riddick hasn’t had much time to show much but Arians’ comments have indicated he’ll get a chance this season to stick around.

ILB (4): Kevin Minter, Sean Weatherspoon, Kenny Demens, Alani Fua. Fua is in a battle with Gabe Martin (who could be a practice squad guy) but his length and ability to go inside or outside seems to give him the edge.

CB (3): Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers, Justin Bethel. It’s not many. But I could see a cornerback addition via waivers. If not, the safety-heavy Cards can also go with three or four safeties at a time to make it work. Undrafted rookie Cariel Brooks could make a push on Thursday. There will be cornerbacks on the practice squad, though.

S (5): Rashad Johnson, Tony Jefferson, Deone Bucannon, Tyrann Mathieu, Chris Clemons. Clemons would seem to be on the bubble but the lack of cornerbacks makes him more valuable. Mathieu’s ability to help at cornerback makes a difference too.

Specialists (3): K Chandler Catanzaro, P Drew Butler, LS Mike Leach. The news from this spot already came when Butler was kept and Dave Zastudil released.

53manblog

Tags:

73 Responses to “One guess at the 53, 2015 edition”

1. By D on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I agree with your assessment. I think the Cards will pick up a veteran CB between now and next Tues. My only issue is with Woodley. I am assuming due to the age of the rest of the OLB’s, the coaching staff needs a vet to show the young guys how it’s done. But, production wise, he hasn’t done much at all in the preseason. Clearly, he isn’t the player that played for the Steelers. I know he is on a one year cheap prove it deal, so we will have to see if he picks it up once the regular season begins. The two players on the bubble would be Christian and Clemmons if this depth chart is the final.

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

D —

RE: Woodley

So if you let him go, who do you keep?

3. By mal on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I would go with 4 RB’s, and gain a CB.

It really sucks to have to keep 5 TE’s becuz 2 of them cant get healthy enough to play. They drafted frikkin’ Niklas with a hernia and he’s never been right since.

Isn’t Thomas still PS eligible?

4. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

From what I have been seeing in these preseason games, I think Sendelin gets back the center job.
    Sowell is out replaced by Watford.
    Niklas cut, cant use him if he cant get on the field, Gresham as well.
    Sims is beating out Logan, Sims is a rookie and looks like he already grasped the offense and is a year head of Logan.

I would actually like to see them bring in another punter to compete with Bulter. Not sold on him yet?

Just my 2 cents, cant wait for the season to start!!!

Go Cards!

5. By Big Booge on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

RE: Woodley

If Woodley is cut it would make sense to move Shaughnessy to OLB and keep him.

6. By Ryan on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Well done!

I would be willing to let Clemons go to keep K. Williams (the only running back to gain 100+ yards last year) or WR Golden, both great special teams players. Our safeties are also extremely deep and some can play CB.

Question I have not been able to find an answer…
    If we have 12 roster spots for practice squad, do they still have to clear waivers? If we designated Sims to the practice squad, do other teams have the chance to claim him? And what would be the fate of L. Thomas? Maybe Todd will take him in NY.

Thanks

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Ryan —

RE: Practice squad

There are 10 spots on the practice squad. And yes, every player must be cut and clear waivers before he can be brought back.

8. By C on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Darren, any chance they keep 5 TE and drop Hughes? Reaching here, but I can’t see them keeping Taylor and Hughes for such limited spot duty at RB. I know BA has mentioned adding the FB/H-Back duties on one of the TEs, but with so many hurt maybe that never came to fruition.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

C —

RE: TEs

You could be right. It may come down to between Taylor and Hughes.

10. By Scott H on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Wow…we might only keep 2 QB’s but we “need” 5 TE’s?? THIS team?? Really? Would we need 5 of them if the two guys who are supposed to be our best players weren’t always hurt?

11. By georgiebird on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Can’t believe all the injuries thru-out the NFL. The Cards have received their share of bad news with Peters, Floyd Iupati, Niklas and the ever present bad news about DWash. But you know what- I feel the Cards will come out of the preseason in better shape than any team in the NFL.

12. By Lifetime Fan on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Out with Woodley in with Shaughnessy, he can play OLB in a pinch too

13. By Mark in Chandler on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I would put Williams instead of Hughes. I know Hughes brings something different but Williams has been about the only consistently producing RB in camp.

Vet at CB but not until the 2nd wk so that his contract is not guaranteed. Clemons makes the team in large part because the Cards run a 3-5-5 more than any other front and that means heavy on the safety. Clemons can play in the box.

Shaughnessy trade for whatever you can get

Sowell over Shipley but I might cut both once Massie comes back. Larsen is not impressive but he makes very few mistakes. Shipley’s only advantage is that his contract is about as low as you can get.

14. By rod on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I know that BA has said they are only going to keep 2 QBs but I think they will keep 3, they better. I think that the smart thing would be whoever they feel regardless of position will make it through waivers to be put on practice squad. What I mean by that is, Cariel Brooks for example may make it through waivers when Chris Simms may not. So I would keep Simms and let Brooks go…ya know?

Oh, I was never able to get a hold of Wolfley to ask him why he calls SK “Decka”. Probably much easier for somebody else to get the answer..any ideas?

15. By georgiebird on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Last week, I noted the strange outcome of two ex-Cards QBs being named starters in 2015 (Hoyer & McCown). Now comes word that the Panthers have extended Derek Anderson as a backup thru 2017. And people are trying to project rosters and depth charts. How many people would have felt that any of the three ex- QBs would even be in football (any league) so many years later !

16. By shannon robinson on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I agree with you Darren as this is too hard to do alone. I hope we keep Anthony Steen, the redhead from Alabama. Matt Shaughnessey will be badly missed as a tough guy on the edge. Jimmy Legree was a disappointment after tracking his development. Ta’amu may return to the team later. Maybe we get Jon Halapio on the practice squad – that matches my formula of at least three polynesians on a successful NFL football team – Paul Lasike gets credit as a New Zealander. Cris Clemons was the surprise to me coming out of camp – I saw the number of years he had as a vet and then watched him a lot in games and I was always impressed. I think Jaxon Shipley is a developmental player who is worth the effort. Momah, Fua, and Phil Sims were the come from behind closers this Preseason.

17. By Cards4Ever on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

who returns kick-offs?

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Cards4 –

RE: KO

I’d think Nelson, in this scenario.

19. By Andy Kw on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

This is what I change or do:
    -Keep QB Phillip Sims, trade QB Logan Thomas to BUF for a 6th RD Pick.
    -Cut FB Robert Hughes, convert TE Gerald Christian to FB.
    -Trade DE/OLB Matt Shaughnessy to NE for a 5th RD Pick.
    -Cut OLB LaMarr Woodley, sign OLB Dwight Freeney (1yr deal).
    -Release ILB Kenny Demens, keep ILB Gabe Martin.
    -Keep CB Cariel Brooks, (trade S Chris Clemons to MIA for a 6th RD Pick)
    -Put P Drew Butler on the Practice Squad, Sign P Brandon Fields (1yr deal).

20. By Big Ken on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Has Woodley played in the pre-season? Or has he pulled a Weatherspoon?

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Woodley

Woodley has been in every practice and every game.

22. By Andy Kw on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

If the Cardinals cut Gabe Martin,
    They will be losing a potential Pro Bowl Caliber ILB. He won’t even make it to the Practice Squad. I do not believe he will. The Cowboys will end up signing him and make him an all star. I will be sitting here and be like, wow why did we do that. Keep both Fua and Martin. Release Kenny Demens, he will be available in free agency. Fua and Martin can play ST or start if needed. Fua is versatile for his ability to play as an OLB or ILB. Gabe Martin can cover Tight Ends and has the speed and size similar to former Pro Bowl ILB Daryl Washington. CARDINALs, be smart and keep Gabe Martin.

23. By Patrick on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

My top 3 changes:

1. Keep Cariel Brooks and let Sendlein go. Can’t go with three CB’s and even though Honeybadger can play it, I like him freed up to cause havoc..

2. Part ways with Massie, he is starting off his contract year very badly and Watford looks like he can handle,, this will be decided tomorrow night. This will free up a spot for either Sims or LT.

3. Shaq Riddick was hot garbage against Oakland,,, put him on the Practice squad and keep Shaughnessy.

24. By JosEPh on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

So in this projection the O takes an extra player and leaves the D side 1 short. I understand the Iupati/Massie situation warrants this.

And as for your question to D about Who in place of Woodley, that would be Shaughnessy,

25. By Big Kountry on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I think they have to keep Sims as the 3rd QB on the roster and lose a spot elsewhere. He’s completely outplayed Stanton so far and definitely outplayed Thomas. If he’s dropped and attempted signing for PS, he’ll end up signed to another teams regular roster. He’s too good to pass up right now. No need in taking the risk. Take the risk of Thomas on the PS

26. By Cramsey on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I don’t necessarily like to see Shaughnessy go. I think he has been plenty serviceable with the Cards. But that position is so deep and Mauro I think will be just as serviceable. Mauro over Shaughnessy is almost a $2,000,000 savings. Tough choices loom.

It’s also too bad Legree hasn’t shined like I hoped. He’s a guy I wanted to see make it, but I just don’t see it happening. Same with Kerwynn. They are both PS eligible, right? I doubt Kerwynn will make it through waivers to the PS though. He’ll get picked up on a roster somewhere after getting sportcenter time in the Chief’s game last year.

27. By All day on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I just don’t see why we would cut Logan after one year he hasn’t even had much of a shot to prove himself except in a few preseaon games and against the Broncos in which he never should’ve played anyway. I don’t get it I guess

28. By BIGAL on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Man I swear…one would think that as this team progresses & the depth @ all positions just keeps getting deeper & certainly it has…it should get easier? But such is not the case. At this point, if we cut Massie on Sat. would he count against the roster in any other way than the salary cap? And how much would it be? I realize the risk…Humphries is nowhere close to ready… but Watford has looked pretty good & apparently worked his tail off…so reward him! Massie will not be available at all for 1st 3 games anyhow? Cut Bait now!

Sorry, just venting! I know that won’t work to be left w/Humphries as the lone swing T but Massie has really put us behind the 8 ball here…& Bradley Sowell has looked worse than Humphries!
    I really haven’t caught much of Cameron Bradfield but they better add him to the
    PSquad…
    See Darren this is why & I hope you remember??? I soo desperately wanted us to resign Eric Winston! Problem solved!

Darren, how many can be on PS this season, isn’t it 10 now?
    If these guys don’t make the team I sure hope they make the PSquad…
    Kerwynn Williams
    Phil Simms
    Jon Halapio
    Antoine McClaine
    Alani Fua
    Gabe Martin
    Cariel Brooks
    Jaxon Shipley
    Cameron Bradfield

Thanks Darren!

29. By midnightcochise on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

After last year, I really can’t imagine them going into battle with out a 3rd string QB. IF they don’t like Sims or Thomas, I think they will be all over the waiver wire to see who else is out there. Are cards fans still clamoring fo Donovan McNabb? lol

30. By OzK on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

There are a few alternate guesses I would think of:

RB: I think Kerwynn deserves a spot as he’s the only proven back in the Cardinals offense and he’s also been solid (not spectacular) in his limited kick returns. Hughes ( and Taylor) probably on the bubble, but could come back in case of injuries.

S: I have a feeling that Jones-Quartey has a shot at beating out Clemons as he’s seemingly been getting a ton of snaps in pre-season. Having said that I haven’t been able to tell if he’s doing well. He’s been showing up with a lot of tackles, but maybe the catches shouldn’t have been made in the first place…

WR: Could keep Golden or Shipley and have TE Christian on the PS. Golden and Shipley give some KR options beyond JJ.

CB: Probably good to keep four and have Brooks in the mix. The spot might come from one of the centers or the fifth safety.

QB: I would keep Sims as the 3rd QB as it’s a rough division to play in. Last year was might have been a fluke, but the Cards had ended up with a golden opportunity to “only” win at home and end up with a Superbowl trophy. That game against Seattle was all that stood in the way and Lindley had only come back in November…

Hopefully this year there is redemption with the golden Super Bowl 50 come Feb.

31. By Richard L on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Darren, you’re telling us with two QB’s coming off of knee surgery that the Cards don’t keep 3. Doesn’t make sense after last year. Sims is way ahead of Thomas given the fact he has been in the system for only a short time. I say they keep Sims and cut Thomas and Niklas. Perhaps Nilkas is invited back on the practice squad.

32. By Richard L on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

I would take Grice over Stephan Taylor any day. Taylor is a bust.

33. By Richard L on Sep 2, 2015 | Reply

Darren

I wrote Roger Goodell an email asking for an update on Daryl Washington. Still no answer.

34. By Garth Short on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Darren, I can see JJ Nelson as the PR, but am not sure he can be the KR. Who do you see as the KR?

35. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Garth —

RE: KO

Nelson.

36. By jeffgollin on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Toughest final roster cut I can ever recall.

I think a 3rd QB is more valuable to us than a 4th RB.

If we keep Hughes, we’ll only keep 4 TE’s. Christian most vulnerable.

I’m a 6 WR (Golden) guy.

Shaughnessy over Stinson

Brooks over Clemons

An all-too common feature of the NFL is that your deepest position can quickly turn into your thinnest one as fast as you can say “hammy.”

37. By Ed on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Darren
    Any idea why we haven’t heard ANYTHING about D.Washington’s suspension? It seems strange that there are no updates. I have a bad feeling about this……

38. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Ed —

RE: Washington

He’s been suspended for over a year, he still has a domestic violence plea looming and now you have a bad feeling about this?

39. By Pat Bugel on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Kerwin Williams and Brittan Golden have been outstanding, I’d hate to lose them. If they don’t make the 53 what do you think their prospects are for the practice squad? Are they even eligible? Even so, I don’t think they would be there long. I could definitely see another team snatch them up.

Thanks

40. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Pat —

RE: Kerwynn/Brittan

I could see Kerwynn on the PS, although he has to clear waivers. Not sure on Golden.

41. By Jimbowan on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Sims won’t make the practice squad. He will be on an active roster by the start of regular season and Cards fans will be kicking themselves in a couple years.

42. By TucsonTim on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

I don’t think Sims will make it through the waiver wire. So if he gets cut, it’s bye bye and we get to keep Thomas on the practice squad. I’m not sure tonight’s glorified scrimmage is going to make a lot of difference for the QB position. I think we have to keep 3, ie. we keep Sims on the 53

43. By Garrett on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Do you really think the releasing of Matt Shaughnessey is probable?
    – I have always thought he was one of the more underrated players on our Defense

44. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Garrett —

RE: Shaughnessy

With the amount of time Mauro has been getting, I can see it definitely.

45. By DAVEMAHAM on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

I seriously doubt the Cardinals will roll with only two quarterbacks. Especially after last year. I’ll be very disappointed if they do, god forbid we end up needing to sign a Ryan Lindley type player…

46. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Is Woodley healthy? Its one name rarely called preseason. Is he ok?

This 53 as likely as any, wondering if SK can steal a cap casualty C cut by somebody? LOL, ok, probably not, C looks to be weakest spot among likely starters. Makes emphasis on RBs blocking awareness/skills important…

Ready to meet this years 53. Go Cards.

47. By Dynosoar on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa,

A couple articles ago you wrote –
    “Always amazed at how everyone thinks there’s all this interest in our 3rd and 4th QB’s.”

Actually, yes, I believe they are interested in our 3rd and 4th QBs. It’s our 5th and 6th they don’t want. (Well, except Lindley was picked up by the Chargers and now the Patriots.)

Haha. It would be interesting to see if either or both Simms and Thomas pass waivers. I do think with what they’ve shown in pre-season, they’re better than many 3rd and 4th string QBs in the league and better than some 2nd stringers.

Will be very interesting to see what happens. Very interesting indeed.

(Sorry my friend, given last year I just couldn’t let the 4th or 5th string line pass.)

48. By JosEPh on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Why are my comments not accepted and posted? Is it because I have a yahoo.com em addy? If so that is totally unfair and needs corrected.

49. By jerry on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

I think K. Williams should stay over Hughes. The guy makes positive yardage repeatedly, and breaks tackles in spite of his size. I don’t recall Hughes taking a handoff last year.

50. By faster on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

don`t forget to cheer for lindley tonight, he fights a uphillbattle for a rosterspot @pats.

51. By clssylssy on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Totally off the subject but not really…(since we all agree we need more QB depth but can’t decide who). I read a Peter King post the other day about possible future landing spots for RGIII, (should/when he is cut by Washington) and the first place King mentioned was with the Cards and Bruce Arians?? Given RG3s mobility and athleticism, King thought Arians would love to have to opportunity to work with him and I agree that between Arians and Tom Moore, he could be our future franchise QB, I also think he would do well with Todd Boyles, Andy Reid, or Pete Carroll as they are “player coaches”, are seasoned veterans with vision. What are your thoughts (if you can’t say, that’s fine), no answer usually is code for I can’t comment, lol. I know nobody can really talk about having an interest but so far there are rumors about the Eagles, Cowboys, Seahawks, and Browns…so, just say’n…

52. By faster on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

and as for our roster, release niklas and/or gresham, and put logan thomas in, as a TE/3QB. and try to get simms on the practice squad.

i don`t envy keim and the coaches. and i don`t undestand, why for example the roster can`t have 72 players. the cap space alone should give enough equality.

53. By faster on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy@RGIII, i have only seen arians coach a pocket QB, lol. and the two times palmer was sliding heads first i had a strocke. so i doubt RGIII would fit at our team (albeit i think RGIII should get a new chance, at another team, with at least a year at the sideline, broncos or steelers would fit).

by the way, last years run of carson palmer was short before he got injured, and after i have seen his run at the last game, i will pray the whole game today for him to stay healthy (or that he doesn`t play).

54. By Scott H on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

I agree with those who believe we should keep Sims on the 53-man roster, that he WILL be claimed by another team if he is not.

And I say we simplify the TE position by cutting Niklas. We hope Gresham will be able to make a solid contribution this year, and we keep the other 3 guys.

To me, Niklas is Robert Housler all over again. Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t, but….so far? He pretty much IS. We kept Housler around for a few years and we got virtually nothing from him. And like with Housler, I am amazed by the opinions that Niklas is going to be a great TE. My question is, BASED ON WHAT?? If you believe he has potential, fine. But potential can’t fulfill itself when it can’t get on the field because it’s hurt.

I think letting Sims go to keep the 5 TE’s listed above would be just absolutely absurd. I feel the same about the tail end of some other positions as well.

55. By Scott H on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

georgebird –

RE: the 3 former QB’s

Well, Hoyer is only in the league a few years at this point. Why wouldn’t he still be around??? I get your point about Anderson and ( especially ) McCown. But Hoyer is still a kid.

56. By BIGAL on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Phil Sims must remain on the roster…if they try to get him to the PS he’ll never make it past waivers! I guarantee you that!
    By faster
    I agree w/you to the extent of what I just stated re: Sims. waive L Thomas to practice squad w/the advent of relearning TE position…cut Niklas &
    Gresham if they can’t get on the field…find a ww TE for needed depth. Cut both
    Massie & (sorry to it but)Sendlein…he will still be there if we need him later…
    that’s key to the OL being one short it’d be like an xtra available position should we need a C/G down the line…
    Move Shaughnessy to either LB position (probably ILB) that gets vacated by either S Weatherspoon (since he can’t get on the field either) & or Woodley who has just looked slow…Is Chris Johnson gonna ever get on the field? If not c ya! They must keep Kerwynn Williams! Let go of S Taylor unless C Johnson can’t cut it & be on the field, then cut him! So you still have 5 RB’s. Sorry Stepfan but you may be the odd man out…By keeping & moving Shaughnessy to LB you still have 7 DLinemen & a total of 8/9 total LB’S…So if we keep Cariel Brooks if he’s the 4th CB choice I believe…And w/5 safeties that Darren mentioned including C Clemons, & the 3 SP Teamers…That would come to 51 w/the need & 2 spots open for a ww TE (healthy at least) & a Tackle…I know hard to find but someone will be released from somewhere maybe a journeymen…maybe an Eric Winston…
    Thank You Very Much!

57. By Scott H on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

All Day –

RE: Thomas never should have played against the Broncos

Well….what else were they supposed to do? Palmer was out, not even dressed. Stanton was knocked out of the game with a concussion. Thomas was the ONLY QB we had left. How was he NOT supposed to play??? Were the Cardinals supposed to forfeit the game???

58. By erik on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

I think with this teams experience with John Abraham, it makes it very tempting to keep Woodley on the roster. I admit, I have not seen him show up in pre-season like I was hoping, but he has proven for many years he can get to the QB. In Oakland, besides being injured, he was played out of position. He is going back to his natural pass rushing position on the Cardinals.

With Shaughnessy, you are getting a solid player who can stop the run but not get to the QB. We have enough of those players. Woodley is the best choice on potential alone. I know, I know… potential don’t mean s**t. LOL

But that is why I agree with Darren, and why I think Woodley will win a spot on this team.

59. By BIGAL on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

I’m w/you Scott H- KEEP SIMS on ROSTER! He won’t pass Waivers! Same goes for Kerwynn! Besides Kerwynn earned it for us/himself last year! There weren’t many holes w/Lindley in there! And he got us some tough yards, had some impressive performances! I don’t want to be watching Sims in another uniform.
    Tony Romo went undrafted also! It does happen!
    Thanks!

60. By clssylssy on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

@faster
    Not saying we should, but talent like his doesn’t become available every day (or every year) and Griffin would need to expand his versatility and learn to play from the shotgun or pistol even. I do think that under someone like BA or Tom Moore (or the others) he could become something special. I don’t think he’s had the quality coaching he could have or the quality peer support we have here. I have a feeling BA would find him an intriguing project to bring along as Carson finishes out his extension (and Griffin gets healthy), and having that extra dimension would shake things up a lot for our opponents.
    I think everybody about had a stroke when Palmer slid, that’s not what we want to see from our QB fresh on the mend and at his age!
    It was just a thought rattling around in my head and not a suggestion. We are in a rather unique position this year of having an abundance of talent at the QB position , I just don’t want to ever be in the position we were in last season and it seems that mobile QBs are the future:)

61. By georgiebird on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

@ScottH
    And Hoyer couldn’t make the Cardinals who haven’t had a decent young QB since maybe Jake Plummer or how about Neil Lomax. Your comment would allow for Leinert to still be playing-he’s only 32.

62. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

I dunno, giving up on a 2nd round draft pick after one season just because he’s been injury prone to date… that seems like a lot more likely to come back to bite you than letting a 3rd QB that no one thought enough of to draft hit the waiver wire.

63. By BIGAL on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

By georgiebird
    Please Please stop! RG 3 sticks chicken legs please stop! He’s just another college QB that could not progress to pro pocket passer!
    And Hoyer did make the team… However, he was released because he had a
    March deadline date (think it was like the 10th of March) that would have paid him an additional million dollars if he were still on the team past that date!
    Darren a little help?
    So they chose to go w/Stanton at the time who was making league minimum for vets…& go to the draft for a 3rd QB ie: Logan Thomas. It was more about the money. Also Stanton came here w/BA from Indi & knew & had been in the system 2 years already!
    Decent young QB that’s why you roster P Sims! Do you know any of his history?

64. By Credit Card on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Humphreys does not appear athletic enough or is unmotivated to play in the NFL. Marcus Golden was not a 2nd round level player.

David Johnson, Nelson, Xavier Williams, and Cariel Brookes appear to be NFL ready.

Huge question about Gunter — hardly playing in the preseason games. Is he in the doghouse or slightly injured? Something appears amiss.

65. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Golden

I actually thought Golden played pretty well.

66. By BIGAL on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa
    I get you man & that would have been what I would have said 10-15 years ago Cardinals…But these are not our Daddys Cardinals or even the Cardinals that played in Sun Devil Stadium… altho I think there are still 2 Vets who remain, that played there…Tell me if I’m wrong Darren?
    But just look at the talent out there that now has to be put on the Firing line…
    BA runs a 2 TE set predominately! He even goes 3 TE’s on some short yardage downs…How do they say it on ESPN “sometimes availability is your best ability!”
    I got nothing against Niklas but damn man…I mean last year & even 6 months ago I was still lobbying for Jonathan Cooper…I’ll say it one last time unless challenged…These are 300plus lb men going up against 300plus lb men….do I really need to say anymore??? Give him some time please I know he wants to be a special pro! That’s my take on COOP! As for Niklas…I just don’t get the same Vib! And maybe it had something to do w/the play he broke his leg on…yes a preseason game & he pulled & chipped & still was 15 yards downfield blocking for his rookie RB @ the time S. Taylor. That’s Coop! Have we seen anything???
    Any inkling of that at all from Niklas? I’m sorry but I have not! We need to find a way to keep Jaxon Shipley! 9 for 58 2nite…5/3rd down conversions…need I say anymore…Yes! THE guy is a chain mover…he reminds me of the very 1st time I saw Wes Welker! Please find a way to protect him! Man this team is deep! Injuries
    suck! A lot of teams are having injury issues I firmly believe it all has to do w/the new CBA & players basically stretching on their own time!!! That’s the problem!
    Who will they keep??? What a dilemma? I’m keeping…Kerwynn Williams, I’m Keeping Jaxon Shipley…Woodley & Shaughnessy might actually be casualties…
    As Harry Carey used too say Holy Cow!

67. By Larry B on Sep 3, 2015 | Reply

QB (2): Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton. – Logan Thomas on practice squad. I like Sims but they’ll keep Thomas

RB (5): Andre Ellington, David Johnson, Chris Johnson, Stepfan Taylor, and Robert Hughes because BA likes him

WR (6): Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, John Brown, Jaron Brown, J.J. Nelson Brittan Golden – Ship at PS

TE (4): Troy Niklas, Darren Fells, Ifeanyi Momah, Jermaine Gresham

OL (9): Jared Veldheer, Ted Larsen, Lyle Sendlein, A.Q. Shipley, Bobby Massie, Jonathan Cooper, Mike Iupati, D.J. Humphries and as much as i hate to say it, I think they keep Sowell over Watford until Massie returns and bring in the practice squad QB when they waive Sowell after Massie’s suspension gets reduced to 2 games or they bring in a TE if they don’t grab one before then …

DL (7): Calais Campbell, Frostee Rucker, Ed Stinson, Rodney Gunter, Xavier Williams, Cory Redding, Matt Shaughnessy – over Mauro EVERYDAY ANYDAY. He’s versatile, stays out of trouble, is a vet and gets it done where ever they need him. IF and its a big IF, they are going to trade anyone it would be Shaughnessy for a TE or 2016 draft pick, in which case, you keep Mauro but I don’t like him.

ILB (4): Kevin Minter, Sean Weatherspoon, Kenny Demens, Alani Fua.

CB (3): Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers, Justin Bethel.

Specialists (3): K Chandler Catanzaro, P Drew Butler, LS Mike Leach.

– Bettcher needs vet leadership on the D, if they get rid of Shaughnessy they are down to only 6 guys who have played more than 6 yrs …based on who we THINK they are going to keep. 6 of 24 … its not the ONLY reason you keep him but it’s another reason.

68. By don on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

about Thomas . I don’t know why fans are so down on him . sure BA was critical of his off season progress . but we can see that he’s a master motivator . maybe just pushing him hard . the big knock on him was accuracy . i think he’s shown significant improvement . people need to remember . this guy has the tools to be a generational QB ..he’s still very young .even a vet like Palmer will tell you BA’s offence is tough . he’s much more comfortable now than he was a year ago.. wish i could be in the room when they’re breaking down the game . as for Sims . another solid performance . can tell both young QB’s are thinking too much . but his rapid progression speaks volumes about this scouting dept. . really don’t know his ceiling . but he looks like a young man . with a promising career somewhere . again . i’d love to be in the film room with the staff . i’d maybe dangle both of them out there . just see what other teams might offer .. think they both have tremendous careers ahead . sure they’re both on the radar . like them both more than RG III maybe we can get 2 #1;s from Snyder LOL

69. By Scott H on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Kevin –

OK. But how many 2nd round picks in the NFL every year don’t pan out? Being drafted in the 2nd round doesn’t guarantee anything. Nor is it assured that if you weren’t drafted, you’ll never be able to play. I get your point, but based on this off-season – and last season for Niklas – who has probably made a better showing for himself, Sims or Troy Niklas?

70. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Scott H — Niklas hasn’t played, so obviously it’s Sims. But by that measure, Sims is better than any guy on our team who hasn’t been able to play due to injury. Not saying much.

And yes, good players don’t get drafted (Warner, Romo) and some players drafted high never pan out (Leaf, Leinart). But we’ve seen Sims play in parts of 4 preseason games. That’s it. In those three games he’s thrown 51 passes — a little more than a guy would typically throw in a game. So we’ve basically seen about a game out of him. (And while stats aren’t the only measure, he hasn’t been overwhelming in those games — 54.9% completion, 261 yards on 51 passes.) All sorts of 2nd- and 3rd-string QB’s have lit up the preseason way more than Sims.

Let’s put it this way — as high as you are on Sims, there are still a lot of people here who are higher on Thomas. So some people don’t even think Sims will/should be our 3rd QB.

I know that some fans want to believe that this is such a tough choice because both of these guys are so talented and full of potential, but I think that’s delusional. If one guy can’t even distance himself from the other guy as the clear frontrunner for the 3rd QB slot, it’s because neither of them is that good. I would bet significant money that neither Logan Thomas nor Phillip Sims ever takes a snap in a regular season NFL game.

71. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

My proposed bet is on a going-forward basis only, of course; I know Thomas was forced into the Denver game last year, and I think he also came into the Seattle drubbing.

72. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

And if what I just read is true, all this Thomas/Sims talk may be moot — did the Cardinals just trade for Matt Barkley?

73. By "Harry" Boldin on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

I really hate to see Thomas go in the cut. Some team will pick him up right away. and with opportunity to play with more than just a practice squad, I believe he can become someone’s franchise quarterback within no more than two years. He has great size, athleticism, and speed. And how can you forget the job he did in the game with Denver? 8 out of ten passes completed, with no interceptions.
    What was his QB rating? Somewhere around 150, I would imagine.

Finally, has any thought been given to using him as a tight end? Or what about putting him in the backfield to block, run the ball, or pass?

Just thinking out loud!