Barkley and the “QB of the future”

Posted by Darren Urban on September 4, 2015 – 3:05 pm

The odds are that Matt Barkley — who the Cards agreed to trade for Friday — will not develop into a starter. That’s the reality of taking a flier on a guy who never meshed with what Chip Kelly was doing in Philadelphia. But this is a flier with almost no risk, costing a seventh-round pick and only then if Barkley makes the roster for six games. So Barkley is on a six-week tryout and if it doesn’t work, the Cards move on and keep the pick. The Eagles potentially get something for a guy they were going to cut. And Barkley gets a fresh start with a coach who is pretty good with quarterbacks.

But bigger picture, it’s another chance at a QB. It’s kind of funny, fans are always asking when the Cardinals are at least going to make an effort to find a future QB, a guy for post-Palmer. Then a trade like this happens and so many say why? Because if you don’t have a top 10 (or even top five) pick, this is how you find a future QB — you buy a QB lottery ticket. You go after a Logan Thomas in the fourth round or trade a seventh-rounder for a Barkley, and you hope. Sure, when the numbers are called on the TV Wednesday night, they probably aren’t going to match. You go buy another ticket. Sometimes, the numbers will match enough, and you get that $500 (or in this case, a backup QB.)

The chances of hitting the jackpot is slim. But the Cardinals have plunked their two bucks down, and we’ll see what that means for Barkley when his numbers come up.

Matt Barkley

Tags: , ,

106 Responses to “Barkley and the “QB of the future””

1. By Big Ken on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I like the trade conditions. Win win for the Cardinals. Classic Steve Keim deal.

2. By shane on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I like this move i liked him at usc and watched alot of film on him.. hes a “Qb” that actually looks like a Qb hes pretty accurate and throws with anticipation .. wich is something all good Qbs need in there game. Logan does not have that .. hes just a big armed Qb that could not go through his progressions properly or fast enough. Will Barkley be the qb of the future?? maybe not but i like his chances alot more than Thomas i say good low risk maybe high reward roll of the dice..

3. By Peter on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I never thought I’d say this, but dang, I wish we would have kept Logan Thomas!

4. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I agree with taking a flyer on Barkley. Who knows, some think he could be a fit for AZ.

But I have to disagree that Palmer’s eventual replacement needs to be a top 10 pick.

The seahawks (3rd round), niners (2nd round) and Rams (traded for 3rd rounder) all have QBs outside the first round.

The Saints, Cowboys, Redskins, Raiders, Texans, Bengals, Jets, patriots, and Bills have starting QBs outside round 1.

The Vikings, Packers , Bears, and Ravens have QBs outside the top 10 in the first round.

So I have to disagree with the statement;
    “Because if you don’t have a top 10 (or even top five) pick, this is how you find a future QB”

Because having a top 10 or top 5 pick helps, but you can find QBs later in round one or at the top of round 2.

But ultimately, taking a shot at Barkley isn’t a bad move. He could be a Kirk Cousins or Ryan Fitzpatrick. But I won’t hold my breath on him being Brady or Romo (or Warner for what that is worth)

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: QBs

But you proved my point. Those QBs are lottery tickets that happen to hit. The Seahawks didn’t think Wilson was going to be Wilson when he was first picked; it was a shot in the dark. And yes, you can find a QB outside the top 10. But if you do the math of all the QBs picked who have failed — including those in the first and second round — that’s what this is, lottery tickets.

6. By Micah on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I agree Darren –

I think it’s funny that fans are freaking out over a conditional 7th rounder, which ONLY is given to the Eagles if Barkley is on the roster after 6 weeks. They seem to have a new found liking to Thomas and Sims. I agree they both played well this preseason, but just because they were cut doesn’t mean they (or 1 of them) will be on the squad in some form or another.

Arians has 6 weeks to see how Barkley meshes in our system – while still having the opportunity to pick up Thomas or Sims on the practice squad (if no other teams claim them). If Barkley doesn’t work out, cut him, with nothing lost, and bring up Thomas or Sims as the 3rd string QB if needed.

7. By Jimbowan on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Barkley? Really? Kiem’s success has gone to his head. Sometimes I really hate my team.

8. By georgiebird on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Agree with you for the most part. But if Sims or Thomas were to become a future Hoyer or McCown (or better) as we go with Barkley- then there is some risk in bringing in Barkley.
    I find it most interesting that two QB gurus BA and Chip Kelly see Barkley in a different light. Must be the systems.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Hoyer

You guys crack me up sometimes. Now the worry is the Cards lose a future Hoyer or McCown, guys who have bounced from team to team to team?

10. By Scott H on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

WHOA, wait a minute – WTF is THIS???? MATT BARKLEY???? Are you friggin KIDDING me??????

This really pisses me off. We went from either Sims or Thomas to THIS?????

IMHO, it is now time to fault this organization for making a truly LOUSY move. First, WHY did you have to TRADE for Barkley when the Eagles were probably going to release him??? Why wouldn’t they? They have seen enough of him by now to know he is NOT an NFL QB. He stinks, quite frankly. And….we just traded to GET him???

Darren, what is going on??? Does this mean we are cutting Sims AND Thomas??? This is just confusing right now and clarity is needed BADLY. How do we let Sims and Thomas go for a 6-week flier?? I do not understand what is happening.

For the record – Matt Barkley is not going to be ANYONE’s future at QB. He stinks.

11. By shane on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Jimbowan,

Don’t let your imaginary fantasy mini wannabe GM success get too this comment section… And let the real GM of a NFL football team do his job.

12. By Steve on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I think this trade finally states how the Cards really feel about LoganThomas and his development. Decision making and accuracy were always going to be his issues and while he did show some flashes, Arians and Keim obviously felt the need to go a different route. Matt Barkley, while not a deep thrower, is a smart accurate short to intermediate a is a solid pickup and give Arians a much more viable option at QB than Ryan Lindley if forced to play.

13. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Read all above, lol. I just want to welcome Matt to the fray, He’s got a great USC guy to show him the ropes, lets see what he’s got. Keep turning over rocks SK.
    Go Cards.

14. By bobby62914 on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I like Sims and Thomas better than Barkley; but that’s just me . . .

15. By cards62 on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Darren I have no problem passing on Hoyer or McCown or Derek Anderson, but I must admit this move surprised me. I was going to write a comment after the Denver game on who do Cardinal Fans want to keep Thomas or Sims and now Barkley is here. DD cut and another Barkley in Arizona very interesting.
    I thought both qbs played well against Denver so I hope we can get both of them on the practice squad. Good luck Barkley and I hope you work out for us.

I just like that Shipley kid reminds me of a Pat Tilley type. No way is he a superstar, but he just gets open and catches the ball. Hope we can keep him and let him develop, but sometimes just not enough spots.

Is Jake Long still available as a free agent tackle? I know our oline will get better when healthy but man I am worried first couple of games.

Go Cards

16. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Jake Long

Long is a free agent I believe but he’s past his prime.

17. By NJAzCardsFan on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Darren- Do you see either Thomas or Sims coming back on the PS…???

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: QBs

They aren’t going to have four QBs.

19. By jeffgollin on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Darren – Any possibilty this could signal additional trade/PS activity by which we’d wind up keeping Sims &/or Thomas…or even packaging a deal invoving Stanton in order to get Someone like RG3?

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

jeffgollin —

RE: QBs

As far as your scenarios … no.

21. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I guess I just don’t see it as much a lottery as doing your homework. Their are common traits in starting QBs you need to find in those later round guys.

Don’t get me wrong, I believe that the QB must be picked in the top 40 picks.

The chances of a QB succeeding after that is exactly your point. Brady, Romo and Warner were flyers for sure (although Warner had success in Arena and World league).

If you look at Wilson at Wisconsin and then watch him with Seattle, he is the same guy. He dropped because of his height. I remember Mayock just pounding the table saying he can’t believe the GMs can’t see this guy.

Look at Thomas and Foles. Both big armed guys with flaws in their game. But looking at Foles at U of A, he had success. Thomas flashed like a star but disappeared at times too.

When taking a flyer, look for a guy who had success but for one reason or another, they fell in the draft.

I think Barkley is a great example. He had some great moments at USC and looked like an NFL guy. I haven’t studied him enough to know his flaws, but he dropped in the draft. But he was a winner who looked the part and some projected him as a round 1 guy. That is why Barkley makes sense to me and Thomas did not. Thomas was great at times and bad at times. That kind of QB you don’t take flyers on.

I am not saying Barkley will succeed, but I think he makes more sense.

22. By Davemaham on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

You’ll all call me crazy, but are we sure it’s Thomas and not Stanton on their way out? Stanton won games last year, or did the defense win those games? Stanton is not as good as some people make him out to be. And Thomas has progressed, that’s all you can ask for when it comes to a late round pick that rarely gets meaningful snaps. I’m just not convinced they’ve given up on him.

23. By SCarolinacardinal on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I liked Sims. Not that I like a running QB, but I like one that can run if they want/need to.

24. By TucsonTim on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Hasn’t Philly already dumped enough QB c*** in AZ

25. By Justin on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I see this as insurance against the loss of Sims and / or Thomas on waivers. If one gets through and is signed, they’ll try to flip Barkley. Miami had an interest a few months back.

26. By the way..Dr. G. on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Some things Kelly has done are a bit baffling, but I recall thinking Barkley was a good pick that would not start with Foles and Vick on board in 2013.

jtdg…did BA contradict himself by saying Logan played well in pre-season? My post was based on what BA was saying. Tomorrow will tell if he ends up on the PS hedging this bet on Barkley. Logan will have a team at 2PM on Sat. If he is released. Keim is the guy behind this with desire for “”THE NOW”” results…can’t argue with his strategy…later…we shall see….

27. By wonderingwhy on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Barkley has some potential and it has never been realized by working with Chip Kelly. Not so long ago our Carson was on his way to being released and probably would have retired. Now he is one of the best in the league thriving under Arians. Barkley could be a superstar that needs some cultivation. Give him a chance. Like the turtles in Nemo, “Kill the motor dude, let us see what Barkley does.” or “The NFL is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get.”

28. By Anthony on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I think it’s great that we shouldn’t have to be in a position to be drafting top 10 and trying to invest so much in a top 10 pick QB. I think Barkley is an even-headed pocket passer and maybe a different scheme will really help him out (I’m not high on this guy – just like our GMs odds with choosing guys). Scheming is to football success as personalities are with friendships. Sometime they mash well and other times they clash.

29. By krehbieo14 on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

The bottom line in the NFL is, unless you have an Andrew Luck, you are beating the bushes until you find that diamond in the rough. That process takes good scouting, coaching instincts and luck. I am sure that Carson Palmer has some observations about Barkley’s performance and potential since both are USC alums.

30. By TucsonTim on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

And if there is a cal from a 215 area code….just don’t answer

31. By georgiebird on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Re:Hoyer
    that’s the point- Hoyer bounced around and landed as a #1. Is Hoyer a franchise QB? laughable. The Barclay signing is nothing more than BA’s super-confidence in his own ability to turn a player around. Since BA is the 3 time COY (he should be), he deserves the chance to develop Barkley. If just about any other HC tried to develop Barkley, it would be a failure.

32. By truths4all on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

The book on Barkley at USC and so far in the NFL:

1. Weak arm
    2. Iffy accuracy ( just like Lindley)
    3. Slow to read defenses
    4. Does not anticipate well when receivers get open in their routes.

Barkley is the weakest NFLQB candidate from USC in the last 20 years. Even Lineart outshines him.

33. By Scott H on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Unless I’m over-reacting ( a possibility, but right now…how do we know WHAT to react to? ), I am wondering how we just spent an entire training camp and 4 pre-season games evaluating Logan Thomas and Phil Sims only to ditch them both (?) a week before the season to take a flier on a guy who has never seen our play book and has not taken one snap in a Cardinals helmet? I don’t care what college Barkley played for ( and BTW, let’s also remember that Leinart played there, too ), can someone tell me how this makes sense at THIS point??

IF we end up with Thomas or Sims on our PS, then I have less of a problem ( I won’t say NO problem ) with Barkley as a flier. Because I say there is NO way Barkley plays himself past either one of them. But I’m hearing Darren saying they aren’t going to have 4 QB’s and….again, what are we supposed to think right now???

Before Tebow was taken in by the Eagles, I would have said I would hang myself if the Cardinals brought him here. And now, we just traded for the guy that Tebow beat out for the 3rd string job in Philly.

I just am in shock right now. Not that I know everything because of it but because I live right outside Philly and that pretty much forces you to pay attention to the Eagles. And I can tell you that Matt Barkley has looked nothing but terrible when he has played. He had to play a little during the regular season in 2013 when Foles gut hurt in a game against Dallas. And let me tell you, folks, it was God awful. And the consensus opinion among ANYONE out here who had an opinion at all was that Barkley was NOT an NFL QB.

I agree, 100%. And I think the MOST ridiculous aspect of this whole thing is that the Cardinals traded for a guy who was – from all I’ve heard out here – very likely to be released. The Eagles were not going to keep 4 QB’s either. And Tebow clearly showed more than Barkley did. Do the math. Barkley was probably going to be cut. WHY TRADE FOR HIM???

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Barkley college

BTW let’s also remember Palmer played there, too, so …

35. By All Day on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Darren. Do you think Arizona keeps Thomas on the P.S possibly. Usually QB’s aren’t squad guys but you never know

Also Arizona has a player now with one of the hottest wives in the nfl. Just saying!

36. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

All Day —

RE: Thomas

I don’t see why the Cards would keep 4 QBs. If they believed in Thomas, why trade for Barkley?

37. By Cody Zarr on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

NFL.com is reporting this as a 7th round pick that could escalate to a 6th if he’s on the roster after 6 games. From the wording in the blog here it says it only escalates to a 7th round pick if he’s on the roster after 6 games. I assume that is the correct description of the trade and NFL.com is incorrect? Obviously we’d all prefer the latter, but I just want to know for sure.

Also, if CJ looks like that against starters I may have to eat every word I said about him being over the proverbial hill. I am really happy to see he had some juice left! Just 1 more of the million reasons Coach and Keim are in charge and I’m just a fanalyst.

38. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Cody —

RE: Trade

My understanding is that it’s a 7th rounder, and only if he’s on the roster for 6 games.

39. By Dr. G. on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Cards Fans…Just thinking…since jtdg believes the coaches are the wise ole owls, what do you think about Chip Kelly ((an owl himself)) thinking Barkley is not as good as Tebow, and worth only a 7th rounder compared to the very decent play of Logan in pre-season?? I reject the comparison.

Does this make sense based upon what we saw from Logan last night? Will Barkley be able to get much development with no reps? Darren will say nope. My thought is that they do not see Logan as a leader, or perhaps a slow learner, but otherwise talented. BA gave him props this week. Miffed until later…

40. By Don on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I see this as a downgrade from Thomas. Thomas has a MUCH stronger arm than Barkley ever will, he is taller, stronger and faster “more mobile” than Barkley is. He can throw the ball further and faster.
    Barkley is more consistent and reads progressions better but those are things Logan can improve on as he already has. I think BA will regret not giving Thomas 2 years to develop.

41. By rufus on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

So does this mean Barkley takes a roster spot away from a position player who could contribute immediately or Logan Thomas who played just as well this preseason, if not better, than Barkley? I really don’t understand the logic of this trade especially given Arian’s comments of keeping just two QBs.

42. By Coach K on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I think this is a smart Keim type move. Her is a guy Barkley who was projected to be a top 3 pick his junior year if he came out. He stays in school, his stock drops and is picked by the Eagles who run a system that is not a good fit for a pocket passer like Barkley.

Yes, he does not have a major arm talent, but what he does have is superior progression reading ability and the ability to make passes in the right windows from a three progression or four progression read.

So this trade is all about a skill set that better fits what Bruce Arian’s wants his Quarterback to do. Barkley is a cerebral guy who understands reading defenses and making the right decisions. Apparently Arian’s was not seeing this ability in Logan and this is why the trade took place.

I think this is a smart trade with little or no risk to the Cardinals. Will Barkley be the starter of the future, it’s possible, but not likely. But when it comes down to who is the better fit for the system, Barkley is a better fit from a skill set point of view.

43. By ChristianR on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Dang… I know I was one of the guys who freaked out when Thomas was drafted, but I was really starting to like the guy. I hope he ends up on another team with a couple good qbs in front. He’s not ready to be a 1 or a 2 yet, but I still feel like he could be a pretty good qb with a bit more grooming. I guess only time will tell.

44. By BigBobDiesel on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

I hope this season is as entertaining as this comment section.

45. By Steve on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Scott H- Just relax ,it’s quite possible that Barkleys skill set did not fit what Chip Kelly likes to do on offense but perhaps he has a better chance to succeed here in Arians offense. Logan Thomas and Philip Sims, while showing some flashes, probably will never start a regular season game at QB. I think this is a low risk trade.

46. By Steve S on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Although being projected a top-10 selection for the 2012 NFL Draft by midseason of 2011,[37] Barkley then decided to return to USC for his senior season.[38] As early as April 2012, he was projected the No. 1 overall pick for the 2013 NFL Draft.[39][40][41] However, one month prior to the draft, Barkley’s draft stock had fallen with ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay projecting Barkley to fall out of the first round.[42] Due to his shoulder injury, Barkley did not throw in the Indianapolis NFL Scouting Combine and instead took medical tests on his shoulder.[43]

Barkley was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 4th round as the 98th overall pick.[44]

I think every one seems to forget is how high this guys stock was at one time , and with the right coaches I THINK WE HAVE A WINNER IN TOWN.

47. By Jon Elder on Sep 4, 2015 | Reply

Here is the thing that I think many commenters are overlooking: The Cardinals are looking to fill the 3rd QB spot with a future starter. The Cardinals didn’t see Logan Thomas or Philip Sims as our future starter.

If they think Barkley has even a 1% chance of being that guy, and they are certain that Thomas/Sims has a 0% chance than the trade makes perfect sense.

If what they had wasn’t going to work FOR A STARTER (and not who is the better backup today) than this move is a good one.

Welcome to Arizona Mr. Barkley!

48. By rod on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Barkley or Simms? Stupid move.

Simms drove down the field no matter his competition, if he had to come in during the season I don’t think he loses games for you.

Stupid move.

49. By Mike in Mesa on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

How do we know Arians is really a QB guru and didnt just get lucky to coach some really good QBs that made him look like a guru? I’m still doubting Arians judgements as to QB’s after the debacle last year of picking Lindley over Thomas. The only way this makes sense to me is if they cut Stanton. I guess having three pretty good games in preseason and winning 2 for your team under pressure isnt as good as what Barkley has shown in preseason.

50. By truths4all on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Looking at his stats with the Eagles, Barkley showed a steady drop off in performances in Kelly’s system.

Did Barkley wilt under too much pressure as he was being outplayed by Tebow?

Barkley is known as a weaker-armed pocket passer who would best fit a West Cost type timing offense. Some fans make excuses for Barkley’s failure to excel in Philly because he is a relatively immobile pocket passer who could not execute Kelly’s fast pace, multi-faceted offense. That’s bogus excuses since a really immobile Sam Bradford has done great in picking it up Kelly’s multi-faceted offense and executing it since he was traded to the Eagles.

Also in acquiring Barkley, is BA ready to handicap his offense since Barkley physically cannot make those essential 6 to 8 Home Run throws per game that Palmer and Stanton can and Thomas did once In Thursday night’s game? Maybe BA has a West Coast timing offense that’s just perfect for Barkley to run.

51. By Eazy E on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

I was very shocked at this move for a multitude of reasons. I actually kind of liked Barkley coming out of USC, but so far, he has proven nothing! Even this preseason, he has looked disappointing and he ain’t playing against starters 100% of the time. I like Phillip and Logan better right now for sure and they all still aren’t probably our ”QB of The Future”! Don’t get this move at all, but at least we gave up next to nothing for him.

52. By narnar37 on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Now all we need is John David Booty, and Sanchez and we will have had ever usc QB for the past 13 years!

53. By clssylssy on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Not a big fan of USC QBs and feel they come highly overrated. Agree with Scott H., who has been around Philliy, and had more opportunity to experience the Barkley first hand, unlike many of our posters here. Yes, Carson Palmer is a USC product as was Matt Leinert and see I Leinert as superior to Barkley who has nothing going for him and is HORRID. Why put so much time into a guy and then when he is just beginning to look like he could replace Stanton (at least), kick him to the curb for somebody not even skilled enough to beat out a guy who’s been out of the league two years! Looks more like a personal hobby for BA and not somebody who will make the team better. Once again the Cards been had by the Eagles and are backsliding to being the same ole Cards! Do I accept everything Arians and Keim do as coming from the mouth of the football Gods–hardly; too many bad draft picks and loser deals on broken, unproductive players. This is beyond unbelieveable, it is a betrayal. It has been suggested that perhaps Barkley is to be used for trade bait however, I can’t think of a team who would be gullible enough to trade for him besides the Cards. Meantime, I’m still waiting to be “WOW’D” and see BA deliver on the big promises he made when hired.
    After the Denver game, I was hopeful because I thought we were finally secure with Thomas or Sim possibly ahead of Stanton as insurance with our terrible offense and little people. Now, not so much as we have the same issues as before, with nothing really changing on our offense and blown assignments from Keim and BA (fixing the 0-line and QB situations)

54. By Scott H on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Darren –

Yes, Palmer played there as well. I guess what that tells us is that USC can produce QB’s that range from great to….not so great.

Thanks for responding to me at all after the heated tone of my posts here. I am truly baffled. I’m wondering if you know more than you can say right now but I understand that.

55. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Know more

Actually, I’m baffled why people are struggling so much with this. It’s not complicated.

They clearly did not feel Sims or Thomas had the kind of future they wanted. Hence the probability that they were only going to keep two QBs.

Now they get a six-week window to try out Barkley, who at least had college success in a pro-style offense. If he doesn’t work out, it costs them nothing.

Actually, I think I explained the thinking fairly well in the above post. I like Thomas personally, but except for the last couple of preseason games, he looked in practices much like the QB who showed up in 2014, and that’s not enough progress. Barkley may be nothing. But they are trying at least.

56. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

@rufus….my opinion also.

57. By Eric Fontana on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

If Matt Barkley had come out in the 2012 draft, he would have been a First Round pick. He dropped to the 4th the next year, but he is intelligent and miscast in Chip Kelly’s system. Further, an average arm is a bigger detriment in cold weather, outdoor cities like Philly. The Cards liked him in the draft, but took Honey Badger in the round before he went. Enough said there. While not a perfect fit for Arians’ offense, I will take an accurate QB 8 days a week over strong armed projects that can’t hit a barn. I love Arians, but don’t agree with his and Whisenhunt’s belief that accuracy can be taught.

What was telling was last year when we pulled Ryan Lindley off a practice squad and put him ahead of Thomas. It’s all anyone needs to know. This is a no brainer, easy decision to trade a conditional 7th rounder. How many 7th rounders have any impact?

Good work, Keim!

58. By faster on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

theb eagles would have released barckley, so for them its a win.
    our team had a shortcut at the waiver wire, so its a win.
    barkley has another 5 weeks to prove, a win.
    the only sore spot is the roster spot we loose.

but think of it, if our coaches can thomas convince to stay on the roster as a TE, we would have palmer, stanton, barkley as 1,2,3 QB, thomas in waiting and maybe simms on the PS.

lol, maybe i`m a bit to cautious about the “next man up” after last season …..

59. By Jimbowan on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Shane —
    Are you suggesting that everyone on this board should agree with every decision the team makes or just the ones you approve of.

60. By jaime on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

smart move, very difficult one i bet letting go Logan and Simms after all but I see the reasoning behind this move after I have educated myself on Barkley.

61. By Giorgio on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

There’s nothing wrong with Barkley other than he went to the wrong system in Philly. Same can be said for UofAz’s Nick Foles there, but he got a chance to play and proved himself quite nicely. I’m a huge Cards fan, have been since day 1 when they came here, but the Cards have little to no luck picking QBs (other than Neil Lomax, Kurt Warner, and now Palmer), or running backs (exceptions Otis Anderson and Stump Mitchell), or building a super O-line. It’s odd considering the coaches and evaluation that has come through here. I’m guessing it’s not their DNA. Like over 50% of other NFL teams Cards are a continual work in progress that of late is much better thanks to Keim and BA. The NFL is entertainment and the Cards are doing a much better job when on stage.

62. By Big Ken on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Sims/Thomas I’m thinking one gets put on the practice squad. But now with Barkley on board, so much for we’re only keeping two quarterbacks this year.

63. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: QBs

I will be stunned if the Cards have 4 QBs, even if one is on the practice squad.

64. By bobby62914 on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

I feel better about this move after considering the comments of people that think it was a good one.

65. By T. Griffin on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Kiem is smart. He is doing what any successful businessman has to do. He is mitigating his risks. He knows he needs a third string QB, preferable on the practice squad. But what if none that he likes are available? Also if he finds a player he likes, not necessarily a QB, doesn’t he need a place to put him on the team? Another plus is now Arians has another QB to evaluate. Oh Thomas and Sims may still be available.

66. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Thank you. I was about to post the same thing.

BA and SK were going to keep 2 QBs. Although this board likes Sims and Thomas, they do not. They were cutting them regardless of the trade. That is the reality.

Now, if you want to say Keim and Arians made a bad move, go right ahead.I have been critical of Keims picks, including a wasted pick of Thomas. But I also give him credit for great picks ( John Brown, Honey Badger, Alex Okafer, JJ Nelson). They also have scored on the vets they have brought in ( Dansby, Abraham, Cro, ).

I think this is a great move with very little risk. A 7th rounder? Name the last 7th rounder who has had an impact for the cards. Good Luck. If Barkley is cut in the next 4-5 weeks, we are back to where we were going to be, 2 QBs. If he pans out, he comes a lot cheaper than Stanton would next year. Then they can look at another QB to draft.

Too bad they didn’t just take Carr or Bridgewater at the end of round 1 in 2014 and the issue would be solved.

But BA has taken this franchise to new heights with 21 wins in the last 2 years. So you have to believe he knows what he is doing.

I saw someone say they question him when they chose Lindley over Thomas. I just saw it as a clue to how he felt about Thomas.

67. By fozzybear on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Something big is brewin. Maybe Stanton out? Sims has natural leadership qualities. He had the most drives for scores in pre-season. Lindley was brought back last year because BA said Thomas wasnt ready and putting him in might damage his psyche if he failed. Why then spend all this time grooming him just to let him go? He has got all the tools you cant teach, how do you know he cant fix or get better at the others? Strange. Sims will be gone if cut. Definitely betterQB3 than a lot of bottom dwelling teams. Strap on yourseat belts folks, its gonna get wild!

68. By mal on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

This is totally amazing to me that all these fans are getting so hysterically worked up about a third stringer…. who will probably never play one snap this season.

Wow, we’ve come a long way from the Kevin Kolb ers when we had 6 starting QB’s if all we have to talk about before the start of the season is the third string QB.

69. By Dynosoar on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

thanks for answering my worries in the comments of the Docket article. We’ll see where this takes us, but I am willing to see.

I must ask, how can he be evaluated properly at this point in the season when all the QB reps will go to Carson Palmer?

70. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Evaluated

I think they can see enough to know if they want to keep him around. He’s your No. 3 all season even if he stays.

71. By clssylssy on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Well I see ole Chipper cut Tebow! LOL, wouldn’t it be ironic if he picked up Thomas or Sims! I don’t know how anybody can criticize Thomas’s performance in Denver (when it counted) and justify Palmer’s performance against the Raiders in the same breath! Barkley has no arm, no athleticism and nothing that I would say looks like an Arians product unless it’s the idea of the challenge (which is not putting the needs of the team first), There’s got to be more to this than meets the eye because this just makes no sense anyway you cut it. There is no upside to Barclay, he would be worse than Lindley if he had to go into a game because of the need for a backup because he still will need to learn the playbook and develop a chemistry with the team…Geez!

72. By Big Ken on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Exactly Darren, but maybe the evaluation of Barkley doesn’t take the six weeks and they release him in two. Ryan Lindley didn’t last long with the Patriots as could be the case with Barkley.

73. By Scott H on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

It amazes me that more is not being made of how we just went through an entire camp and pre-season with two QB’s, just so we could dump them a week before the season so we could trade for a QB VERY likely to be released, AND who has no familiarity with our playbook / system / coaches / players / etc. Maybe it’s me.

For those feeling OK because we gave up little / nothing to get Barkley, why no feeling like we wasted a draft pick to trade for a guy who was going be released anyway?

I mean, if we get down to our 3rd string QB, we are probably done anyway. But, geez, didn’t we learn last year what happens when you have a 3rd string QB who is really un-prepared?

74. By chuck on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

hmmmm,…perhaps this Barkley deal is just insurance in case Thomas nor Sims clears waivers for the practice squad? either way, who cares? If the #3 guy plays our season is screwed.

75. By Michael on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Not too worried about this move. More excited to see which players get cut by the other 31 NFL teams.

Jets released/cut Jason Babin. I’ll admit, I don’t know if he was cut because of his age, ability, cap casualty or because the Jets have so many guys on the d line. He (basing off what I remember from when he was with Tennessee & Philly, and I think the jags) might be a viable option as a rotational player on the d line. Given how the cards already feel about their own. Probably could get him cheap; still think we need more depth at corner, but safety is loaded and I believe in Peterson having an Mvp-like year. Hope there are moves worth to be made.

76. By JosEPh on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

The trade for Barkley was a surprise as is evidenced by the boards reactions. But to think that either Sims or Logan had caught up and were ready to surpass Stanton for #2 QB is mind blowing! What are you thinking ppl?

The bottom of the roster has been churned again. This one has a 6 week flier attached. Good Luck Mr Barkley, I think you’ll need all you can get.

Only downside is if it costs a O or D line roster spot.

This will be my 6th try at getting my comments posted.

77. By Dobie on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

For a rookie Sims has potential this was just his first years if a another team pick him up I hope this does not bite them in the ass looks to me that the Cards are looking for some one to come out of the wood work to be a great QB some times you need to develop them like to know what BA reason for all this QB fiasco but I tell you what some times he supersize is me but time will tell and I do hate it when a game is over and the visiting team wins and I hear there BS all the way to the parking lot I all most get in to fights but I am to old for that but I do give them S!!T back last year was great did they lose 1 or 2 games hoping for the best and hoping BA has his S!!T together

78. By Scott H on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

One more question, and it’s as legitimate as any question could be at this point – as all this talk about the QB of the future swirls around us, can someone tell me how the Cardinals have not now COMPLETELY wasted the last two off-seasons as far as the future of our QB’s is concerned???

Beyond Palmer ( the obvious starter ) and Stanton ( the clear back-up ), who have the other QB’s been here for the last two seasons – Logan Thomas, Ryan Lindley, Phil Sims. Where are they now? Gone. Nowhere in the picture of the future at QB for this team.

Again, how do we not say the last two seasons have now been wasted? They HAVE been. If this were a baseball team, we would be looking at a totally barren farm system as far as the QB position goes right now.

This team better start looking now for the next Carson Palmer / Kurt Warner type veteran savior who can be their next QB. Because they have nothing coming up through the farm system.

79. By Scott H on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

For all those making reference to Barkley playing well in a pro-style offense at USC, can we please acknowledge that that was playing well in a pro-style offense IN COLLEGE.

Now, let’s take a look at how Barkley has played IN THE PRO’s, shall we? He has played in a total of 4 games during the 2013-2014 seasons. And here’s what we got –

30 of 50, 300 yds, ZERO TD’s, 4 INT’s, -2 yds rushing , and 3 fumbles.

Let’s now add to that ZERO TD’s and 4 more INT’s during the 2015 pre-season ( against 3rd string NFL players ) and let’s be honest enough to see it for what it is. There is NOTHING here to suggest that this guy can play at the NFL level. These are Ryan Lindley numbers, folks. Period. And Barkley probably isn’t even THAT good.

I don’t care what school Barkley came from or whether Sims was un-drafted or not. Against the SAME level of competition during this pre-season, WHO PLAYED BETTER? Sims did, hands down. So did Thomas, for that matter.

80. By Credit Card on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Mental error by Massie! He has had all training camp to change his last name to Brady, and get no games suspended.

81. By rod on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Darren-

RE Not Complicated

What is not complicated is knowing that Chip Kelly makes any quarterback look good but he couldn’t make Barkley look good.

How can Keim look at the the body of work of Barkley and Simms and choose Barkley?

I have trusted everything this brain trust has done except for this…and perhaps Humphries in RD1.

This was a misstep!

82. By Richard S on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

What a confusing week. Just when I was getting to like Logan, he’s gone. I guess I don’t know much about football. 9/10 in completions, the long bomb and then the pink slip. Can’t wait to see who make up the initial final group. As for how much I know about Barkley, I’ll have to plead the Sergeant Schultz line. I wonder what the line of thought was when Warner was released the first time. Wow my other Cardinal team, the St. Louis one just showed for the first time all year they have a player who can successfully lay a bunt down, Moss the left hander with the longest homerun in the new Busch stadium. This looks like a strange weekend.

83. By Jon on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Cards need to pick up jonas gray nowwwwwww

84. By DOUGLAS FORGATSCH on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

I think the suspense is killing all of us. What is going on with Daryl Washington? Aplayer of his talents, ban is long over. Why is nothing about him publized, we are the Cardinal fans and know zilch, comeon throw thedog a bone here.

85. By m egan on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

OK, so we supposedly have the QB Guru in Ariens right? He can fix Ponder, and he’s out there for potentially less that Barkley. Way more game experience, bigger and stronger. What the heck, get them both on the team. No telling whats going to happen while Massey is down. Just saying

86. By BIGAL on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

So Darren…
    How soon might we expect to see the PS list?

87. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

BigAl —

RE: Practice squad

Sometime this holiday weekend.

88. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Wow, do people not realize that this isn’t a matter of choosing Barkley over Thomas/Sims? It’s a matter of deciding Thomas/Sims weren’t ever going to be “the guy,” and then separately deciding to take a look at Barkley.

If the team decided Thomas/Sims were unlikely to ever be “the guy,” there’s no reason to waste a roster spot on them. We already had to cut guys like Kerwyn Williams and Jaxon Shipley who would’ve been nice to keep around.

The Barkley move cost us basically nothing. A conditional 7th pick, which turns into no pick if he doesn’t stay on the roster for at least 6 games. If they decide he’s good enough after 6 weeks to merit keeping around, we cut him. Even if he’s good enough to stick around, we might lose a guy like a Gerald Christian, which is the quality of player you usually get in the 7th round.

As Darren said, it’s like a lottery ticket. The team has scratched the Thomas and Sims tickets and decided they weren’t winners. No reason wasting any more time going down that rabbit hole. None of us have seen Barkley except in limited duty. Is he likely “the guy”? No, but it can’t hurt to take a look.

89. By Scott H on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

90. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Here’s an analogy to help make sense of the Barkley situation: Imagine you’re looking for a new house. A realtor shows you a bunch of houses in a quick tour. You decide a couple are worth a second look, and so you go back and do an extensive review of a house on Thomas Street and a house on Sims Avenue. Maybe one of them you even got to the inspection phase, but then there were too many issues to overcome. ultimately, you decide neither of them are right for you, and since you’re looking for something for the long term, not just a rental, you decide not to go forward with either.

Your realtor then mentions that a house just came on the market on Barkley Boulevard. It had previously been unavailable because it was under contract to another buyer, but then those buyers bailed. Your realtor shows you some photos online and it doesn’t really look like the house is right for you. But, he mentions that pickings are slim in the area you want and you’ve already turned down all the other houses in the area you’ve seen, plus the price is in your range, so why not take a look? There’s nothing really to lose. If you don’t like the house, you don’t make an offer.

That’s essentially where the Cardinals are. We’ve turned down Thomas and Sims after an extensive look. I know a lot of Cardinals fans aren’t impressed by Barkley, but really, how many of us have seen him work extensively with an NFL offense? I don’t care whether he’s from USC or not, or what the scouts think about his arm strength, or any of that. It can’t hurt to give him a look, just as it didn’t cost us anything to give Sims (undrafted) a look. Scott H — you keep mentioning “why would you trade for him,” but the trade is actually a trade for nothing unless he sticks with the team. People act like this means we’re saying Barkley is better than those guys. No — it just means, we’ve seen the other guys extensively (just like in my house analogy) and we haven’t had a chance to see Barkley yet.

People always overvalue the players on their own teams. People say, “Sims and Thomas are going to get picked up by other teams,” as if that proves they are good (and by the way, it’s not even clear they will get picked up). All that proves is someone else wants to take a look. It doesn’t mean they are any good, any more than us deciding to take a look at Barkley means he’s any good.

91. By Jason Wolfe on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Would like to see Kerwyn Williams & Shipley on PS,many wanted Cards to draft Barkley in 2013 & now we have him…he’s going to need some time to learn BA’s system…hope they give him time to succeed…

92. By Dr. G. on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

jtdg ….. I appreciate the observations in many if your posts, but you always seem to add something erroneous..like our 21 wins in 2 years when we are discussing QBs…. Everyone knows that we got lucky a few times, and too, you must credit our DEFENSE with the majority of those wins, not the OFFENSE .. Lets not even mention our ground game…be well

93. By clssylssy on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Kevin…
    OMG! I don’t think you get it…the dumbfounded Cards fans here understand exactly what BA&Keim are doing in dumping Logan and Sims and picking up Barkley as their guy “for the future” and that’s what’s so upsetting! They are leaving us exposed! Barkley has shown ZERO ability to play in the NFL (and like him or not, Kelly is as good a coach as BA), let alone be anybody’s “future”! (He does have that blond, wholesome, movie star good looks that would display nicely on tickets,etc. but it ends there). It’s not as if we traded for a hot commodity…if he had an ounce of potential Pete Carroll would have been all over him from the get-go (being the ultimate expert on USC QBs and having a great eye for talent)
    Palmer looked awful against the Raiders and both he and Stanton could have been down and out for the rest of the season because of a lack of protection from our offense. Should the unthinkable happen, Barkley could NOT step in as he knows nothing of our playbook or how this team works together. For those who think that could not happen again is beyond nieve…as we have seen otherwise, and this team is NOT as strong as the team we had last season. Logan Thomas has improved with a year under his belt and looked amazing against Denver and was better than Brock Osweiller. Sims, for his lack of experience in the league, has been unbelievably solid and confident, tough under pressure and both have been able to deliver. It was as if we finally were putting our QB woes behind us, only to throw that away for whatever reason seems hard to take. Starting over and devoting any time, money and effort to another project is taking away from other areas needing improvement and is a mismanagement of resources.
    The fact remains that, while we have had double digit wins the last few seasons, we haven’t won any championships, and I grade the success of the season by the championship banners hanging in U of P Stadium, rather than some numbers on a page that will soon be forgotten. Sometimes a W is not the so much the measure of a great team but rather just an indicator of the better of two average teams for that game.

94. By Jeff on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

We could have had Derek Carr and Buccanon instead of Bucannon, Niklaus and Thomas.

95. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Kevin –

Let me answer one of your questions, which was how many of us have seen Barkley play extensively with an NFL offense? Well, with the word extensively in there, none of us have. He has not played extensively. But in terms of seeing Barkley play to the extent that he HAS played? I have . I have seen it because the Eagles are on every week out here. Does that mean I know more than anyone else? No. But I have seen as much as there has been to see to this point. And it has been horrible. So…I will draw from that because that is all there is to draw from right now. And I think that is fair.

Maybe it is NOT fair for me to see he stinks and he will never be a good QB. Yeah, I go too far sometimes. But based on the body of work that exists right now? It IS fair to say he has NOT looked like an NFL QB. He has looked bad to the point of embarrassing at times. That tends to not bode well.

96. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Sorry, meant to say it is not fair for me to SAY he stinks. If I had a damn dime for every one of my typos….

97. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Clssylssy,

Again — As Darren, JTDG, I and several others are saying, they didn’t pick up Barkley as “their guy for the future” and more than they picked up Sims as their guy for the future. They picked him up to take a look. That’s it. There are so many quarterbacks who “look amazing” in the 4th preseason game that it’s pointless to even go there. Brett Hundley threw for 4 (!) TD’s and is still 3rd on the Packers’ depth chart behind Tolzien.

Thomas did get claimed by the Dolphins, it appears, but that doesn’t mean a whole lot, other than they want to give him a look and are willing to spend one of their 53 slots to get him. Sims wasn’t even claimed, although he’s been offered a couple tryouts. The fact that no one was even willing to give Sims a guaranteed roster spot kind of proves my point — we fans tend to overvalue our own players because we see them every day. Despite the desperate situation many NFL teams are in with respect to their QB situation, no one else was chomping at the bit to get Sims.

98. By Jon Elder on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Scott H: “My final word on this ( I hope ) but I love how people are saying this is no big thing because we got Barkley for nothing. Well, folks, how often in life do we get what we pay for?”

We got Carson Palmer for a 6th round pick.

99. By hminus on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

To jtdg;…i understand that our “D’ has a lot to do with our win totals,& i also understand that when our run game & QB play regressed,our “D” wasnt enough to save us…just like our bodies…no system exists or succeeds apart from the important/essential contribution of other linked systems…so the “D” id essential…the run game is JUST AS ESSENTIAL…& QB play is quite essential as well…”the ankle bone is connected to the…leg bone,& the leg bone is connected to the…knee bone,& the knee bones connected to the…& so on.”

100. By hminus on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

A team CAN win w/average QB play IF the “D” is lights out & the run game is decent,(ala;Alex Smith,)…but its MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to win if the “D” is deficient & run game sucks…but you have a decent QB…winning is MUCH more difficult under the latter scenario than the former…

101. By hminus on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

TO; John Elder…it was actually a 7th rounder for CP…same as for Barkley…

102. By clssylssy on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Kevin…
    Apologies…I am perhaps freaking out that we’ve been left exposed and with NOBODY to step in should Palmer and Stanton go down, who even has a passing knowledge of the offense even from the PS. It seems we are back to where we left off last season going into the playoffs? Of course, Ryan Lindley is now available but after all the whoopla, I was really expecting us to be in better shape with our major problems having been addressed. Not saying that Thomas or Sims was our future but at least they were serviceable insurance with developing potential.
    Perhaps I am over reacting and have nothing to worry about? The problem I have is that watching our offense scares me because of our inability to protect the QB and I saw some pretty savage tackles in preseason (Redskins player picked up opponent and speared him into the ground headfirst which starting the free-for-al, etc.l) that I don’t think would be recoverable from, and we basically are now back on a highwire without a net! What kind of “manager” leaves a key position without deep backup? Fingers crossed and channeling hope and good thoughts!

103. By Dobie on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Well gentlemen all this hoopla is said and done all that left is the crying so time will tell and we will see who was right and who was wrong and hoping the Cardinals kick ass no matter what happens they have to go through Seattle and a lot of very good teams

104. By david1800 on Sep 8, 2015 | Reply

Arizona should cut Barkley or put him on the practice squad and sign Tebow immediately. You get a better QB and save a draft pick.
    Tebow QBR 90.7 – 3 TDs 1 INT