Analyzing the initial 53-man roster

Posted by Darren Urban on September 5, 2015 – 5:28 pm

The roster will change. Now that the Cardinals are down to 53 players, the chances of it staying the same by the time the team comes back together Tuesday isn’t great. GM Steve Keim seems almost a lock to make at least one waiver claim that comes through. But for now, here’s some of the highlights to Saturday’s choices:

— The breakdown by position looks like this:

QB 3
RB 4
TE 4
WR 6
OL 9
DL 7
OLB 5
ILB 4
CB 3
S 5
ST 3

— The Cardinals will have four cornerbacks at some point. I don’t see how they don’t. It might not be until after the first game, but I am confident they will keep the search going.

— The trade for Matt Barkley ended the chances for Logan Thomas and Phillip Sims. I don’t see them keeping a fourth QB on the practice squad.

— Two undrafted rookies make the roster in nose tackle Xavier Williams and Alani Fua. Fua, at 6-foot-5, is one of those choices Keim wanted to make the team longer and more athletic. It’s why they still like Shaq Riddick even though Riddick has been hurt so much.

— Stepfan Taylor is your “big” back with the cut of Robert Hughes. Kerwynn Williams is a fan favorite but his skill-set is just too close to Andre Ellington and Chris Johnson.

— With the suspension of Bobby Massie, it might have saved Bradley Sowell a roster spot for now. When Massie returns, we’ll see what happens. By then, the Cards might have a better sense of who they want at center, or maybe they let a tackle go.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

70 Responses to “Analyzing the initial 53-man roster”

1. By Corgon on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

First of all I hope Jaxon will come back to the practice squad. I liked him in the preseason games and in the practice videos.

After that, there are some nice names out there now. J. Fauria, Robert Turbin, Jonay Gray. I’d be happy if any of them would join to the Cards.

Darre, do you see the Cards will go after an inside runner or another big TE? I think both positions could use some upgrade.

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Corgon —

RE: RB/TE

I don’t know if I see either at this point. Maybe a big RB. But Turbin is hurt.

3. By Jon Elder on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Pretty nervous about this O-line. Really hope the guys we kept step it up. We gotta keep Palmer clean to have a great season.

4. By BigBobDiesel on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Love it.

5. By Credit Card on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Huge mental error by Bobby Massie and his legal team. Massie had all of training camp to legally change his last name to Brady.

6. By Credit Card on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Here’s hoping Shipley, Brooks, Williams, and Martin make it to the Cards practice squad

7. By clssylssy on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Interesting comment that the QB position would be addressed through the waiver wire which would necessitate another cut. Hmmm, can’t imagine who they think is going to be available that was better than Logan or Sims, which makes the Barkley trade even more bizarre as he is horrid and would have been cut by the Eagles anyway if Tebow wasn’t good enough. Cutting Stanton doesn’t seem likely as he is the only guy left who knows the offense if/when Carson goes down (Our offensive protection is no better, possibly worse than last season). I’m afraid we let some really outstanding talent go that won’t be available for the PS and will come back to bite us. The Denver game was the only game in preseason that was impressive, which makes me doubt BA’s assessment of this being “the best team ever” . We still have too many guys fresh off the injury list who haven’t done anything yet, our 0-line continues to be a liability and Kerwynn Williams was the only back who even tried to block, IMO has a better skillset than coach favorite AE. Be interesting to see how things go between now and Tuesday. Thank God for college football!

8. By Steve on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

This squad at least on paper, is probably the best football team in my opinion the Cards have had since I’ve been a fan for a number of years. If they can just avoid the major injury bug this season (losing Palmer) they should go deep into the playoffs, no doubt about it. I see right now only the Packers and Seahawks being arguably better in the NFC. Darren have a great labor day weekend!

9. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

@clssylssy…..CORNERback not QUARTERback.

10. By krehbieo14 on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy-

Where did you read that the Cards are looking for a QB off the waiver wire? Tebow was cut, but what does that have to do with Barkley’s work in the Cards system? Arian’s and Moore obviously see something in Barkley’s potential that we don’t. Other than Gresham and Niklas, who are these players who have not played in preseason? Are you suggesting that the Cardinals should have kept Williams over Ellington? Taylor is our running back who has the skill as a pass blocker. Hopefully by Tuesday, you will feel more positive about the team. Enjoy your weekend.

11. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

I guess HB could shift to CB in a pinch.

Does 5 safeties say we plan on doing a lot of 3 and 4 safety formations or does that suggest Bucannon will be a linebacker again?

Could you see a Massie trade if Watford does well in the first couple games?

6 wideouts ? do you see Golden being released when floyd comes back.

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Questions

1) Yes and Buc was always headed for LB. We will see how much Minter gets in nickel and where Weatherspoon is.
    2) Possibly, although I don’t know who is trading for Massie who will be an UFA and now has a suspension on his record.
    3) Maybe, although they like Golden and he might return kicks.

13. By Classy Bird on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

I think we’re solid in RB and WR. Too bad this means we have to let good RBs and WRs go. OL still have room to improve. We have faster LBs, inside/outside than last year. QB, I don’t think we can go all the way to SB with 3rd string QB anyway, so let’s put #3 safe as top priority rather than arguing who will be #3.

14. By Sarah Johnson on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Looks like the Cardinals should have kept Jay Feely. He not only rarely
    missed, he kicked quite a few from 40 or 50 yards. Now that the NFL has
    moved the field goal back we could use him. The Cardinals need a new kicker
    .The Cardinals won quite a few games with a last minute field goal.

15. By All Day on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Darren- Louis Nix just got released by Houston and I know AZ had interest when he was coming out of Notre Dame. While we have okay depth at the NT position he may not be a bad pickup

16. By Red Dead Redemption on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

This is not the best Cardinals roster. Maybe even go so far to say not even the best since Arians has been here. I’d put it in the top five-ten perhaps. Remember a great roster doesn’t always get wins. A few of the Plummer Cardinals teams were supposed to the old 49ers and they underachieved. Remember Bill Walsh said he would have taken Plummer over anyone at the time and a little bit later. People compared with to Joe Montana. A laugher now but it is the truth.

Then you have the 2008, and 2009 Cardinals. I felt the 10-6 Arians team was probably the best overall team. That defense was lights out and could have done something in the playoffs.

Even last years team tied for the best record in franchise history has to be up there as well. It depends on how far back we go but if you go back to the Jim Hart Cardinals they should have won some Superbowls. Neil Lomax would have been one of the greatest ever if he stayed healthy.

I understand cutting Thomas. I questioned the pick at the time. I was told BA knows what he is doing with QBs and he is a hidden gem. The potential was there but it never manifested. I don’t see what BA gains with Barkley over Simms or even Thomas.

You get another developmental QB with a weaker arm, comparable stats to both others if not worse, who hasn’t been in your system and will likely play slightly better than Lindley at best. When it took a veteran like Palmer time to learn the playbook two seasons. You never plan on playing your 3rd QB but still bad move.

I’d rather they would have kept Simms and cut Troy Niklas who has played in slightly more games than I have and BA said it is about being available. Or free up that roster spot entirely somewhere else.

17. By Sackman on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Is it possible that BA couldn’t make up his mind on which 3rd string QB to keep, between Logan Thomas and Sims. So to eliminate any QB controversy between the 2, he decided to get rid of both of them.

Don’t say you would have to ask BA!

I still don’t see Barkley as an improvement. It just seems odd!

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Sackman —

RE: QBs

Uh, no, that’s not possible.

19. By Scott H on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Stephan Taylor is our “big back?” Really? That’s fine as long as they realize he really isn’t one. Are we giving him a “big” jersey or something that will make him look bigger?? I know Taylor is good on special teams and that always matters when it comes down to the final 53. But a “big” back, he is not.

Would have liked to have seen Hughes stick around because he WAS a big back and there comes a time when there is just no substitute for that. Hey, if nothing else, at least he never had hamstring problems….

And damn you, Bobbie Massie! To think of the several players we could have kept if we didn’t have to hold on to Sowell’s sorry rear end until you get back from your suspension! May be only two games but our starting QB could take a lot of hits during those two games if Sowell is no better than he has been. Little reason to believe he will be….

20. By clssylssy on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

@JohnnyBluenose…
    THANK YOU for the correction! My eyesight isn’t great and it’s Hell trying to read tiny letters off my phone which is where I read the article initially about Arians saying we’d go to the waiver wire! LOL, makes more sense now but I still think the Barkley trade was bizarre and Thomas or Sims either one was better.
    Khrebie…
    Tebow has nothing to do really with us other than we jumped at the opportunity? to take a player who wasn’t even as good as Tebow who still wasn’t good enough to make the Kelly roster!
    I guess I haven’t gotten over the horrific showing our 1’s had in Oakland so am skeptical about anything BA has to say, as he always says the same thing which is what I would expect him to say because it’s his job. Many of our players were sidelined and didn’t participate in much of camp and are little more than the walking wounded now. As a group our RBs may be fast but aren’t very physical and it was nice to see KW at least stepping up and doing some blocking. Some team is going to get a very talented contributor!
    Red Dead Redemption (love the name)
    Did you not see Thomas in the Denver game? 9/10. 116 yrds, 1 TD…not to shabby and better than Osweiller so, he apparently improved since being drafted! I doubt Barclay has ever done that well in the entire time he’s been in the league!
    I am disappointed and was looking for Steve Keim to be perhaps more creative, but a lot can happen between now and the opener. Fingers crossed!

21. By TucsonTim on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Who is going to return punts and kick offs?

You keep saying Williams has the same skill set as Ellington; however, isn’t staying healthy equally as important as style of play?

22. By Keith on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

I’m seeing Barrett Jones being released by the Rams and I’m feeling he might be a great addition at center. Just a thought on an area that could use a little attention.

23. By dokwalk on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

People put way too much emphasis on the preseason. It will only tell you so much, but you should never overreact people.
    This team is fine and I’m looking forward to watching them play a not-so-great defense and see what this defense has for Brees.

24. By Jon on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

Its too bad that it seems like the cards already have their rbs set. Jonas Gray can be a big back and be a game changer.

25. By Keith on Sep 5, 2015 | Reply

If I understand the Barkley trade correctly, he has to be on the active game day roster 6 games this season. Which means on game day Arizona can not have Barkley on the active roster and make someone active from the practice squad. So if Palmer stays healthy, Barkley will never get his 6 games and Arizona will not give up a pick.
    Thomas and Simms did well enough against 2nd and third string players, but we weren’t seeing them against starters. Skelton and Lindley had their moments in preseason too, but not so much in regular season. What the coaching staff is saying is that they don’t see enough of what they are looking for in a starting QB. Not saying they aren’t good players or people.
    Besides this team seems to like QB’s from USC and Mighigan State.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Keith —

RE: Barkley roster

He has to be on the 53-man roster, not the gameday roster.

27. By Farley Malorrus on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

I think the practice squad should include: Hughes, Lasike, C.J. Roberts, Willaims, Sims, Sowell (whem Massie comes back) Shipley, (due to brittle Cards QB’s maybe Logan), and just maybe Darnell DOcket if he passes the physical and still has some heart. just my take, but barring injuries, we need Qb’s back up and CB’s, back up. I don’t care for this Barkley guy. I loved Sims, as he’s like a young Mike Vick, and with some guidance, could have a rocket arm, a quick release, and scramble….Sad he is gone. Love him over BARKLEY ALL DAY LONG> SICK OF USC QB’S (Leinart) That FAIL…..SO Coach if you read this, hope you keep SiMS ON PRACTICE SQUAD. I have high hopes for him, and hope the BROWNS or JAGS don’t grab him up, or the RAMS, (OMG)….Thanks. Farley

28. By Farley Malorrus on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

So Practice Squad again should be:
    1. Hughes
    2. Lasike
    3. Williams
    4.Shipley
    5. Phil Sims
    6. C. J. Roberts
    7. Sowell (IF massie comes back)
    8. Darnell Dockett Maybe if he can stil be a Cardinal and re prove himself.
    9. Logan (as we tend to run out of QB’s and Barkeley doesn’t know how to score, “sound familiar?”
    and 10. Harold Jones Quartey Maybe C.B. or S.
    My take. Also plenty of beef in Free Agency. But my top 5 guys are a must…they will be STARS IN THE NFL….Shipley may go to Seahawks and that would be our undoing, as he is a great fit there. Would be tragic.

29. By Farley Malorrus on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Phillip Sims on the Rams or The Hawks woudl be a nightmare if their #1’s went down. He’s fast, he’s sharp, he has good vision, and he’s smart.
    HUGE MISTAKE by B.A. to cut him, and get Barkley who is medicore at best, while Phil Simms has “star Quality,” like a young Michael Vick and EVERYONE USED Michael Vick early on In MADDEN knew what a PLUS he was. Phil Sims will be a star in this leage and I hope it doesn’t jump up and bite B.A. and the Cards in the Butt. I’d DO ALL I COULD TO RETAIN SIMS, cut BARKELY and keep the Rabbit on the Roster, with a rocket arm, and able to scramble, also not nearly as brittle as Palmer and Stanton. I think SIMS could take us to the Big Game and win it..

It’s my take, but I’m good at this, and it reminds me of the Tom Cruise Movie about the Cards. PHIL SIMS Should be a Card. BA if you read this please consider him on the Practice Squad before someone smart steals him. Thanks. Farley.

30. By JosEPh on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

@Red Dead,

You do realize that Niklas is only 22. He came out early from college to be drafted last year. The only player on the Team than Niklas is D.J. Humphries the 1st rd pick this year. Niklas is still growing, cutting him for having a hammy would be silly.

@Darren,
    Do you have an idea what time the PS will be announced? Tuesday? Wednesday? BA’s Tuesday Presser?

31. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Joseph —

RE: Practice squad

I expect it Sunday.

32. By Richard L on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Niklas is a waste of a roster spot. Keeping talented guys off the team. Seems that Keim is keeping draft picks over talent. I question how much say BA has in the process.

33. By shian on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

We never saw Simms play well against starters… only scrubs. His reads were late and not always correct. In the Denver game, he threw JJ out of bounds on an easy read that if he’d made it a second earlier, was an easy big 1st down. BA knows QB’s – he knew Lindley wasn’t good that’s why he got cut last season before we had no choice but to bring him back. He knew Thomas wasn’t ready to play against starters last season, and even against the scrubs this pre-season his reads were late… you can get away with that against scrubs, not against 1st teamers. Neither are NFL ready. Both could use a season running the practice squad against our defense.

I think Palmer has a connection to Barkley other than just USC, and he’s got the mechanics, if Moore and BA can get through to him, he’s less of a project than Thomas, cuz Thomas’s mechanics are only good half the time.

34. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

BA/SK surgical in their cuts, leaving/finding themselves room to add/shuffle OL, QB or wherever 2 games and 6 games into season. Notable how Shaughnessy, Alexander, Dockett replaced by younger, cheaper and better players. Hate to see vets go, but such is life in the NFL.

Has Punter Weatherford signed anywhere? Where I’d spend my savings…fwiw. Practice squad known by time this is posted. They always find 4-5 surprises.

35. By faster on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

@darren, do you have contact to bowles, and if, do you think he would recomend keon lyn as an CB?

and if not, would robert mcclain be available and would he fit into our team?

36. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Faster —

RE: CBs

I don’t know. Doesn’t look like the Cards were awarded any waiver claims.

37. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

@ Farley Malorrus….welcome to the blog Farley. If you have posted before I apologize for having missed it. I don’t think our quarterbacks are brittle. Injuries happen and do not forget that Palmer played every snap in 2013. And he is determined and tough enough to come back earlier than anticipated from last year’s surgery. Tom Cruise’s movie was about a character named Jerry Maguire. It was not about the Cardinals although one of the characters in the movie was a football player who played for the Cardinals. But it’s fiction and definitely not about our Cardinals. Interesting name you have (or use for this site). You may have heard of Farley Mowat. He was a very interesting Canadian who died about two years ago in his mid 80’s. He was an adventurer, an environmentalist and an author. He is worth checking out. Enjoy the upcoming football season and keep posting.

38. By krehbieo14 on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Richard L.

Niklas was a second round draft pick and he is talented. He is the kind of blocking beast that Arian’s loves. Remember when people were calling Cooper a 1st round draft bust? We need to be patient with Troy. He’ll be a huge help with our running game and can be an adequate receiver.

39. By faster on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

nfl network doesn`t report anybody claimed one of the CBs.

and if the waiverwire is a indication of the rosters strenght, well, thomas and jones-quartey were a quick pick.

40. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

shian –

Believe me, no one has ever seen Barkley play well against starters, either. Just ask an Eagles fan. It won’t take any more than one to tell you awful he looked when he played, regular or pre-season.

I REALLY don’t get this totally magical thinking that just because Barkley is now here with Palmer and they both went to USC, Barkley will somehow be magically transformed into a good QB. The school that a QB attended means virtually nothing. It tells you where he went to school, geographically. Nothing more.

Also, I think people need to realize there is more to being a QB than mechanics. Mechanics is being a QB, physically. Hell, Ryan Leaf probably had good mechanics. It’s the OTHER aspects of being a QB, what happens from the neck up, that tends to separate who can play from who cannot.

People who saw Jeff George throw passes in practices swore he threw the BEST passes they ever saw. If that were all there was to it, Jeff George would be in every conversation of who the best QB ever was. But he’s not. Because from the neck up, he was a disaster.

There is always an “IT” factor with QB’s. Always has been, always will be. Kurt Warner had it. Dan Marino Had it. Troy Aikman had it. Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers all have it. Luck has it and you could see it from the word go with him.

Is anyone looking at Barkley and thinking he might have it? Well, the Eagles would have a better idea than anyone, wouldn’t they? They drafted him and he’s been there for the last two years. If they thought he had it, why are they trading it to another team?

41. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Just saw where Logan Thomas was claimed by the Dolphins.

I have not really been big on Thomas all along, so I am not gonna suddenly start screaming we should have never let him go. But interesting, nonetheless. The Dolphins obviously see something they like.

42. By Sage Tarantino on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

I trust BA and the gm to make the best decisions for the roster. They always surprise me as a fan with how they squeeze production out of some pretty average guys. The O-Line and the pass rush are going to be the biggest challenges besides the injury bug that could hit any team. If we can’t give Palmer security or get a few more hurries and sacks than last year I see top tier opposing O and D lines give us trouble. We can’t give QBs all day to throw anymore like we did last season” mostly the first 8 games”

43. By clssylssy on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

See Logan Thomas was picked up by the Dolphins. Fingers crossed that Sims will be around to be on PS. Lots of surprises out there and excited to see Coaches Boyles and Whisenhunt mov’n and shak’n. Would like to see the Cards do something to make us say “Wow” but also recall keim promising to be “aggressive” in the draft and FA…LOL Also see that Montee Ball was waived and will probably go to Dallas…
    Thinking ahead now to the season opener, it would really suck to lose to the Saints in our house and worry about their offense Guess BA’s “Best Team Ever” will be tested straight out of the gate! . We cannot allow anyone a victory in our house this season…gotta PROTECT THE NEST!

44. By BIGAL on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Well lets see Logan is already on a plane to Miami…The Colts just lost their back-up to 32 year old Frank Gore…RB Dan Herron, so my guess is there goes Kerwynn…hell maybe even Hughes…I hate this… This whole debacle mainly because of Massie we had to keep B Sowell and to me why not let Sendein or
    AQ Shipley go to the PSquad aint no body else gonna grab em away??? So this cost us 2 Roster spots that we have to eat!! I blame Massie! Those 2 spots could
    have saved Kerwynn & Jaxon Shipley…We’ll probably lose them both now!! Of
    coarse it would have helped if D Hump. was pro ready…but he’s just a kid really…
    Anyone out there seen a journeymen tackle get released? I’d grab em up & dump
    both Sowell Massie!

45. By Ohady on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Mason Foster is an option at ILB…. Isn’t he?

46. By Dobie on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Sims is just a rookie and showed great potential the Cardinals have the coaching to make him a good Quarter Back as for great time would tell on that one I am not a great on analyzing like some of you guys and I do gets some insight from some of you guys that sounds what your talking about but some of you seems you are talking out your ass

47. By shian on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

@Scott H

I never said he was any good cuz he went to USC, Palmer has a connection to Barkley OUTSIDE of USC, and knows the kid, and what he’s capable of.

“I know Matt can play. I’ve had the opportunity to work out with him over the last couple of years. And I’ve obviously had a chance to watch him play,” Palmer told NFL Network’s Andrew Siciliano in an interview that will appear Tuesday on “NFL Total Access.”

“For him to go in the fourth round is an absolute steal. I think the bigger question is how he fits into that system, and only time will tell that. But whether the guy can play or not, he can absolutely play, and I know he’s excited to prove a lot of people wrong.” – Carson Palmer 2013 following the Eagles drafting Barkley.

Barkley has the mechanics to be the guy, it’s just his head and his confidence. Can he do it at this level. I think BA and Keim are betting he’s ahead of SImms and Thomas in that regard. There’s no other reason they’d make this move.

read more carefully next time.

48. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Clssylssy –

You meant coach BOWLES, yes?

49. By Lee W. Flanagan on Sep 6, 2015 | Reply

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems that Kerwynn Williams has bigger gains when he comes on the field than Andre Ellington. Why not keep him instead?

50. By paul on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

What happened to David Johnson? I was sure he’d be in the mix.

51. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

So you have two back-to-back posts that indirectly sum up everything some of us have been saying about the logic of the Barkley move.

You talk about how the Eagles are the ones who drafted Barkley and they’ve had him around for a couple years and obviously decided he doesn’t have it, so they’re getting rid of him. And you’re implying that if they — the team that drafted him — is getting rid of him, there’s no point in us wasting our time on him.

But then in the very next post you mention that the Dolphins picked up Thomas and (while acknowledging you’ve never been that high on him) said, “The Dolphins obviously see something they like.” You didn’t say, why in the world would the Dolphins pick up a guy that the Cardinals drafted and are discarding after deciding he obviously doesn’t have “it.” Wouldn’t the same argument hold for a guy that the Cardinals released, as for a guy that the Cardinals picked up?

I don’t think Barkley is going to stick with the team for very long. I don’t think he’s an upgrade. But I still see the logic in at least giving him a look — the coaches have seen the other guys in our system and decided they don’t have your proverbial “it.” Maybe Barkley will be closer to having “it” in our system than Chip’s. I don’t expect it, but there’s little harm in taking a look. The only downside is that it means we have to keep him on the 53 and therefore had to get rid of someone else, which is disappointing, but the 53rd guy is hardly going to make or break our season.

52. By Jim Koch on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

In response to Corgon I don’t see them making a move for an inside runner or a big TE. CB I could see for sure, OLB, ILB and punter also possibilities.

53. By Jim Koch on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Credit card, I agree with ALL of your nominees for the p.s.

54. By Jim Koch on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Note to All Day, Nix was claimed by Giants. I also would’ve liked him.

55. By Jim Koch on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Agree with Scott H, should’ve kept Hughes to be our big back. Not only is Stepfan not really big but he is very ordinary all around.

56. By Jim Koch on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Comment on Farley malorrus stating we should worry about Sims being picked up by Rams or Seahawks………….You’re kidding right????!!!!

57. By Farley.malorrus on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Our quarterback situation last year was a nightmare what we showed in the playoffs and quarterback was beyond amateurish. I’m not claiming to be an expert here but what I saw in Sims was much better than the garbage we put behind the center after Stanton went down. He picks up the sky Barkley from USC who was also unproven when I saw something in Sims that just happened remind me of a young Michael Vick in his prime. I am no judge you but I am very sad at what we presented during the end of our season at Seattle and in the playoffs. I have been a Cardinal fan all my life since 1948 and never in my life have I seen such a pathetic example of a quarter back as I saw last year when we played Carolina. It’s only my opinion but I happened to see something in Sims that made me feel he would be a better option then Barkley and a whole lot of other quarterbacks that are out there who can tell? Does anyone have a clue about Tom Brady seriously anyone, how about Kurt Warner here’s our grocery clerk that ends up winning the Superbowl. Guys give me a break and don’t judge me please. I love the Cardinals I just want to see them when I like all of you have a nice Labor Day ok, I just happen to think that Philip Sims is buried treasure its just an opinion I’m no expert but I know one thing Tom Brady and Kurt Warner came out of nowhere. Best wishes

58. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

I’ll stand by my offer to bet anyone on this board that neither Thomas nor Sims ever plays a down as a QB in a regular season NFL game going forward. Any takers?

59. By Farley.malorrus on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

I’m also reminded of Matt Leinart disaster and the Kevin Kolb disaster which was Whisenhunt of course but the bottom line is that you never know where are you going to find a Super Bowl quarterback and I do believe that Philip Sims guy was coachable. Once again I’m not an expert even though I have 135 Fantasy Football Championships and I’ve been coaching for about 25 years and flag football and 110 Championships there I’ve been watching football like a fanatic all my life and I just happen to like the kid thats all its just an opinion I like Philip Cin somebody’s going to pick him up and go to watch and see if Rex Ryan doesn’t grab them just an opinion good luck everybody

60. By Farley.malorrus on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Sorry I meant 35 fantasy football championships and 11 flag football championships my mistake, speech to text error forgive me.

61. By Farley.malorrus on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

I’m sorry I’m down on USC quarterbacks I live in Los Angeles, & I really wanted BA to draft this kid Hundley, he is a local product and the Packers pick them up to be an understudy for Aaron Rodgers, but instead the Cardinals passed on this kid who will probably be the legacy for the Packers look guys although I’m not an expert I am prognosticator for a living actually predicted the Rams winning the Superbowl and I predicted the Cardinals going to the Superbowl I’ve also predicted many Lakers championships it’s what I happened to do for a living, just to let you know ok and I really felt in my heart that that Arizona product was the call or Philip Sims again it’s just an opinion so please don’t judge me. You never know when you’re going to find a Superbowl quarterback like Tom Brady or Kurt Warner and I happen to love this kid Phillip Sims its just my opinion. Go Cardinals win it all I want to see 1 Superbowl before I’m all done with this life. Farley

62. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

@Kevin S Mesa….I’m in for one dollar.

63. By Scott H on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

shian –

Regarding Palmer’s comments….OK. And? You were expecting him to say anything else? Sounds a lot to me like Warner speaking of Leinart after he left. Sure Matt CAN play, he said. But WILL he? We just have to wait and see. Hardly anything other than the obvious in those statements from Palmer ( related to Barkley ) or Warner ( related to Leinart ).

You do realize that the vast majority of players / coaches speak from a general script when they speak of other players, don’t you? They do.

Palmer may very well think highly of the kid. But if he didn’t, do you think for a minute he would say anything to let you know that??

Seems to me you are not willing to put Barkley under the same microscope you do Sims. ( and by the way, you didn’t even spell his name right so maybe YOU should read more carefully as well ). You speak of Sims playing against “scrubs” and you make reference to his reads being late, throwing receivers out of bounds, etc.

And Barkley? What do you have on that? He played against the same “scrubs” Sims played against ( 3rd and 4th stringers ) and did….what, exactly? Zero TD’s? Four INT’s? Funny how you overlooked that.

64. By Scott H on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Kevin –

I’m really not sure whether to take your bet or not! I’m torn. Thomas found his way into a game last year, so it CAN happen simply due to injuries and nothing to do with the player himself.. And if Ryan Lindley can start a few games in the NFL….obviously, anyone can.

If the Dolphins lost Tannehill one week, then their back-up the very next week, thus, putting Thomas into a game….are you going to claim ridiculous circumstances and refuse to pay up?

Are there hidden loop-holes here? 🙂

65. By Vinh on Sep 7, 2015 | Reply

Last year, our talent and heart won us games. Given the injuries, our heart alone won us games. Now we are healthy and even more talented than last year. We’re gunna prove the doubters that we’re no flukes. Let’s win the NFC West and let the rest take care of itself!

66. By shian on Sep 8, 2015 | Reply

Let’s think about system guys, for a second.

Warner came into the league…couldn’t play, washed out, went and learned to play elsewhere, came back into a system that worked for him. Won a Super Bowl. Went to NY into a system that didn’t work for him… struggled. Came here into a system that didn’t work for him, and struggled. learned the system, did ok, then had Haley doctor the system to help fit his style…goes to another Super Bowl.

Rich Gannon, a nobody for years – system guy – goes to Super Bowl.
    B Johnson – system guy – Wins Super Bowl, struggles everywhere else.
    Sanchez – system guy (He sucks outside of Chips system)
    Foles is not looking so great outside of Kelly’s system.
    on and on and on…

What BA and Keim are looking at is very simple. Are Barkley’s mechanics sound enough to deliver balls on target consistently. (yes) Were Sim’s? (Yes.) Thomas (No.)

Now, when he drops back, what does he see, where do his eyes go? Is he prepared to deliver the ball on time, and on target. (regardless of success.) Sim’s and Thomas (no) they’re gone.

So they look at Barkley – WHEN he’s running plays similar to BA’s system, is he making the right reads and the right throws? [on time, on target] When they watch tape, they are ignoring system specific plays and looking at the other factors.

Clearly when they watched the tape on Sims and Thomas they were not fitting those criteria (regardless of success), they must have seem something on tape from Barkley that led them to believe he could fit this system. (regardless of success in Philly.)

Tim Tebow is out of the league because regardless of the success he had in Denver, he’s a terrible QB. Belichick figured him out and embarrassed him on National TV, all the other teams had to do was watch the tape from that Patriots playoff game, and they knew it too, everybody in the league knows how to stop Tebow.

Anybody remember how great we though Max Hall was going to be, cuz of his preseason success?

Remember how we thought bringing in Palmer was a big mistake after his awful first preseason, and shaky first half of the season?

67. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 8, 2015 | Reply

No loopholes, Scott H. If they play in a regular season game for any reason, at the QB position (not as a tight end, for example) — even just for a 2 pt conversion or whatever, you win.

JohnnyBluenose is in for a dollar. I was thinking more like $100, but I’ll take the dollar bet.

Obviously there’s a time issue here as well, since on your side of the bet, you could always argue they could come back some day, even if they are both out of football. So I would expect that you would pay me once they are both no longer associated in any way with an NFL team for at least one full season. Not on a 53-man roster, not on a practice squad.

68. By shian on Sep 8, 2015 | Reply

The other thing to consider is that BA and Keim like to pilfer guys from other squads to pick their brains in the film room when it comes to breaking down opposing offenses and defenses.

Just watch how many guys get signed off of opponents’ practice squads a week or 2 before we play them.

We play Philly every year cuz of the old NFC East affiliation, and that game is going to come at a critical time.

Killng 2 birds with one stone???

69. By shian on Sep 8, 2015 | Reply

ignore that “NFC East every year” comment… I just realized how the schedule is put together..

This year instead of Every team in NFC East and AFC West plus one team from the remaining NFC divisions (In the case of last year; the NFC South and North) this year we got every team in the NFC and AFC North, and then the Eagles from the NFC East and Saints from the South.

70. By Scott H on Sep 8, 2015 | Reply

shian –

A very detailed response, which I appreciated.

But are you REALLY going to ask if Barkley’s mechanics are sound enough to deliver balls on target consistently, and then answer with a yes??? Then I have to ask – who were the targets he was delivering the ball to??? I can only guess he was targeting the DB’s. Because his TD-to-INT ratio ( so far in his PRO career ) shows a ZERO in one column and SEVERAL in the other.

We have a name for guys like that – Ryan Lindley.

But for the sake of the Cardinals and their well-being, I will certainly hope OUR system works better for him. I just think if a guy isn’t an NFL QB, then he isn’t an NFL QB. Might sound kinda’ simple but….that doesn’t mean it ain’t true.