Tight end takes another injury hit

Posted by Darren Urban on September 9, 2015 – 2:31 pm

Darren Fells chuckled. I mean, what else can you do? It’s not funny with all the injuries the team’s tight end room has absorbed — the latest being a knee problem for Ifeanyi Momah, after he got hurt in Tuesday’s practice — but it’s better than crying. Or punching a wall in frustration. Fells is the one healthy tight end, although Jermaine Gresham (hamstring) did finally practice full on Wednesday and Troy Niklas (hamstring) was able to go limited.

UPDATE: Momah will reportedly have to undergo surgery for a torn meniscus. I would guess Bruce Arians will give the official diagnosis Thursday.

“I don’t know what to say anymore,” Fells said, shaking his head.

(Wide receiver Michael Floyd also returned to practice on a limited basis, even diving to catch one pass.)

Fells laughed again when told that Bruce Arians said he wasn’t worried about his tight ends because at least “we’ve still got one.” That’s Fells, who has maintained his post atop the depth chart, the place he’s been since the summer when the tight ends began their roller coaster journey on the surprise retirement of John Carlson.

“That’s all you can do is laugh about it because … I mean, it’s a bad thing, but all you can do is, like B.A. always says, have next man up,” Fells said. Fells admitted, with all the two-tight end and three-tight end sets the Cards like to use, the lack of bodies makes things hard.

At least Fells is there, though, knocking on the wood of his locker.

DarrenFellsUSE

Tags: , , , ,

42 Responses to “Tight end takes another injury hit”

1. By clssylssy on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

Oh no! Momah was looking like the best of the lot!😦

2. By Jon Elder on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

Any idea on when will we get word regarding how severe the injury is?

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

Jon —

RE: Severity

Arians did not indicate a timeline.

4. By krehbieo14 on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

It’s time for Gresham and Niklas to get on the field and prepare to play Sunday. The Cards especially need Niklas’ blocking. They need to suckers it up.

5. By m egan on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

Going back as far as last season, I was saying Logan Thomas should be converted to Tight End. He was an ex receiver before converting to QB. As a QB, he knew the routes of all eligible receivers. He was bigger and had better hands than Rob Housler, and could possible be in for trick plays showing off his rocket arm. He was never going to be a #1QB, but he could have been a 2 or 3 Tight End. At least he was always healthy

6. By shane on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

just exited for some real football & have no doubt that the cards & the fans will be pumped and the cards will come out with a close win .. go cards!

7. By Jimbowan on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

I have confidence in Fells. Plus the master game planner BA will figure something out. No worries, unless you’re a Saints fan.

8. By Scott H on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

I’m right there with Fells in that I don’t even know what to say about it anymore. There is just so much here related to the TE position that I’m SOOOO damn tired of.

I’m tired of Niklas and his on-going injuries. He took up a roster spot last year and we got nothing from it. More of the same this year?

I’m tired of the let’s-sling-a-bunch-of-peas-against-the-window-and-hope-one-of-them-sticks approach this organization takes every year with the TE position. Every damn year, there is pretty much a new group of players. If not entirely accurate, it sure seems that way. Who has panned out? No one. Next group, please!

And tired of how we don’t really utilize the position, anyway, regardless of who is on the field.

I’m being ridicuolous, of course, but it almost seems like we WOULD be better off if we only had one TE. Because maybe THEN, we would actually give that person a chance to BE a TE and maybe find out what our offense would be like if we DID.

There seems to be something telling about Fells being the guy who is still standing. Seems like the fates telling us HE needs to be the guy. And not just a guy who stays in and blocks. With the big basketball player body he has, there is no reason he should not be making more plays catching the ball.

I can’t even really consider Niklas because we’re never far from his next injury. If he ever plays, maybe I’ll get to see what others are so excited about. Until then? Why bother? Fells and Gresham have seemed to me to be the guys most likely to actually give us something this year. It’s NOT good that we’re down to TWO TE’s at this point, but….at least it’s the right two guys.

More injuries…..un-friggin-believable.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: TE

They drafted Niklas in the second round. Yes, he’s been injured, but the organization drafted for the position. High. And took a player who had never been hurt in college.

10. By Jimbowan on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

I’m OK with some of these early season injuries. As long as everyone one is working full speed by mid season until the big one we can dominate.

11. By Marlin on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

maybe Bostick is elevated to the active roster from the practice squad

12. By CHIp on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

First off just “….”

Stunned. Like you said, he came from no where to a starting spot.

Have you heard of any talk about the possible firing of the current S&C coach?

Ever since John Lott was let go, this team has been falling to pieces.

Normally i’d chalk it up to chance, but this is two years, and it seems worse at this point. There HAS to be some talk of this.

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

Chip —

RE: Strength and conditioning coach

No, no talk of this. How would that relate to what apparently is a torn meniscus?

14. By krehbieo14 on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

Sorry to hear about Momah’s knee and surgery. A kid who has worked hard and would have played Sunday. Very sad. But Keim didn’t waste any time. The Lions released Joey Fauria and the Cards apparently signed him today. Very athletic and experienced. Good red zone acquisition. And he’s supposedly healthy at 6’7″ 265lbs. Tough loss, but a great move by the team!

15. By krehbieo14 on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

[Best wishes to Ifeanyi on his surgery!

16. By Coach K on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

This is unfortunate, but thankfully if we go 4 wide, we have so much talent at wide receiver it makes it a little easier on the offense. It hurts us in the red zone not having all the tight ends available.

Hopefully its good news for Momah.

17. By rod on Sep 9, 2015 | Reply

Joseph Fauria signed by AZ

18. By Eazy E on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Ugh this sucks! I was starting to like him a bit as the #2 behind the eventual starter in Gresham. Gresham get well and Niklas if he EVER can, so we can have some hopefully productive TEs out there!

19. By Eazy E on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Bostick on the practice squad maybe or Fauria as possibilities…

20. By Eric on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Darn, I personally was really excited to see Momah play! He would have been another threat especially in the red zone, he possessed the ability to break tackles. He would be a great contributor to getting the 1st on a three n out situation. Lets hope he’s a fast healer, Fells get it done!

LET’S DO IT CARDINALS!!!

21. By Jerry on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Wow…..I think Mighty Mo was an emerging star. Those tough runs against Denver were impressive. Hoping he has arthroscopic surgery, and maybe be available by mid- season. Really tough break for a hard working guy.

22. By Big Ken on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Tough break but lets see what the other guys can do. Far from depleted at TE.

23. By Scott H on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

I hadn’t heard anything about Fauria. Have always liked him. Have to wonder why he was released……but he could help.

Also, who was cut loose to make room for him?

24. By Scott H on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Darren –

Understood. I hear what you are saying. But the fact that he was never hurt in college just makes his career so far in the pros all the more frustrating. Surely, you get WHY so many of us are frustrated, yes? The fact that a guy was never hurt in college but has had the course that Niklas has had so far with the Cardinals just seems to underscore the feeling of being followed by a dark cloud that settled over this team last year and is still there. In regard to the injuries, that is.

You point out the facts related to how / when / why Niklas was drafted and why the Cardinals had every reason to feel good about him. And all of that makes sense. But you can’t expect fans ( who are emotional, by nature ) to over look the reality of what has been / is since he came here. Especially after a season like we had last year, when we saw a legit team completely de-railed by injuries.

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Frustrated

Absolutely I understand about frustration.

I’ll give you this, at least you have a self-awareness about being a fan that many do not seem to have.

26. By Corgon on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Fauria! Average blocking skills, but great size and hands. Great red Zone target.

27. By clssylssy on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

I like the pickup of Fauria…at last some size! With the size of Jimmy Graham and a decent skillset, he could be just what we needed at the TE position with a little effort from our coaching staff, although he doesn’t have the speed of Momah. I am looking forward to seeing how this signing works out, as I am a big fan of the TE position on just about every team but the Cards who don’t seem to know what to do with them! Things could be looking up! GO CARDS & REMEMBER TO PROTECT THE NEST AGAINST THE SAINTS!

28. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: “At last some size”

Fells 6-7
    Niklas 6-6
    Momah 6-7
    Gresham 6-5

???????

29. By clssylssy on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Yes Darren…but…LOL.. how many of those guys are “functional”? As far as I’m concerned only Fells is even in the conversation now that Momah is out as Gresham and Niklas have been conspicuously absent and have been non-contributors. The position exists for a reason and if the person hired for the job can’t show up then perhaps it’s time to cut them and move on. I haven’t seen anything from Greshem since he was signed…he has been riding on his rep with the Bengals way back when Carson played with him, taking up a roster spot. “Hope” is great but I prefer tangible evidence that a player is a difference maker. At least Fauria has 8 TDs to his credit since 2013, and that is better than what’s been produced from the bench.
    Now we have Fitz, Floyd, Palmer, Fells, Fauria & Veldeer to protect Palmer, with Fauria’s AO being the Red Zone! Sounds promising to me but we’ll see!

30. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Tight ends

That’s all fine, but that’s not what you said originally.

As for Fauria, I hope he works out, but let’s not forget, for all his production, the Lions just cut him.

31. By the way, Dr. G. on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

OK a rap on the process. I have always posted that BA is ignoring a good thing in the game by wanting primarily “”blocking TEs”” to protect the QB or lead the RB. Never made sense to me. I do not think he worries about it…says so here by saying, “”at least we have ONE.!””

I would love to see our TEs become regular big weapons in the OFFENSE…you can bet Seattle ((as many other teams)) will challenge us to stop their big TEs. …BA is//was stuck on Ellington as a receiver vs all our guys who are better weapons with SIZE and S-P-E-E-D that sit by saying “”gimme the ball, gimme the ball.!””..

The results were obvious…. I like BA…but he is stubborn sometimes to the degree he will regularly use a small RB who is not even near 100% and grind him down until he can go no longer. Just observing the facts Fans… Who will stop Fells every time…the beast of the Cards…?

The defeated Saints go marching home…!!

32. By clssylssy on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Yes Darren, he is considered a “situational player” being best operating in the Red Zone which could be a major improvement for the Cards.
    And, often times guys get cut because a team is deep at a certain position or there is more of a need at another position and there are only 53 spots; getting cut does not mean a player is not good just perhaps he doesn’t fit…kinda like what you’ve been saying about Barkley.
    Dr. G makes some excellent points!

33. By cards62 on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Just mainly feel sorry for Momah. He was really showing some promise this year for us and he finally made a roster as this young man has been cut several times by different teams.

Does anyone know if Jackie Smith put a curse on our TE position when he left to go play for the Cowboys? I know it is not as long as the Cubs curse, but man it has been a long time since we had a great TE.

Another year and still on game day my number one concern is our offensive line. I agree with others that our front office is doing their best to address the situation unlike Rod Graves who did next to nothing, but it is frustrating.Lyle S. is a great guy, but as long as he is a starter we have major problems.

Excited to see how our secondary plays against the great Drew Brees. This will be a great test to see how talented we really are in our secondary. I am also pleased that the players selected Patrick Peterson as a team captain. We need you PP to be a shut down corner for 60 minutes.

Like others commented surprised that Fitz has not been selected as a captain for the past two years. Even in preseason games when someone for us makes a great play you always see Fitz there giving them a good word. I guess we just have a max of two on offense, but Fitz is a great team player.

Well Cards Fans I know we are all nervous about the new season, but overall I do feel very good about our team, coaching staff, and front office and I have been rooting for the Cardinals since I started following football in 1971 and I have always had hope for our team, but normally by the end of preseason I knew we did not have a prayer at the playoffs so these past few seasons have been very nice

34. By Joe C. on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

I get a kick out of some of the regulars and their criticism. We’re going to compete for the playoffs. Amazing! Who knows who will emerge as the season goes on and who will crash and burn. I think we can all agree though the season hinges on when Daryl Washington comes back from his suspension.

35. By Rock on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

In Madison Wisconsin this week – radio poll today on ESPN Wisconsin – host said he’d pick Cards if Carson stays healthy.

36. By Jim Koch on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Response to Coach K: As far as us being hurt in the red zone, Keim has already addressed that with the signing of ex-Lion Joseph Fauria. The guy is a 6’7 . Great signing SK!

37. By krehbieo14 on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Joe-

I hope you are not serious about your Daryl Washington comment. You were kidding right? If you truly believe that, your season is in big trouble!

38. By Joe C. on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

K14-Pure sarcasm. The Cardinals are a playoff team and folks are complaining about tight ends.

39. By Richard L on Sep 11, 2015 | Reply

Scott, I agree with you Niklas has been a huge disappointment. Last year he had 6 receptions for 67 yards The facts speak for themselves. A wasted roster spot.

40. By Scott H on Sep 11, 2015 | Reply

Richard L –

Please don’t agree with me on this! This is not something I want to be right about! Using my head, I would NOT say Niklas is a waste of a roster spot. I really hope he is not. It is just frustrating to believe in the potential he has and not seeing it get to the field. Yeah, in that respect, it FEELS like a wasted roster spot right now. But if it’s just a hamstring ( wow…did I just say that??? ), hopefully he will be back on the field just as Ellington is, DJ is, etc.

41. By Eazy E on Sep 12, 2015 | Reply

The Lions have Brandon Pettigrew and Eric Ebron that’s why they cut him! 2 Nice Targets at that spot.

2. Sep 11, 2015: The 5 Best NFL Coaches in 2015 - BuzzChomp