Goodwin analyzes his O-linemen

Posted by Darren Urban on September 10, 2015 – 3:03 pm

Offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin met with the media for the first time since the offensive line was set, and over the course of the press conference addressed four of his five offensive line starters (all except Jared Veldheer, and it’s safe to say Goodwin is more than happy with his left tackle.) A quick Goody rundown:

C Lyle Sendlein: “Just a solid veteran. Smart, dependable. He has some limitations but he knows what they are. He just makes me feel comfortable as a coach having him in there. He can correct me when I’m wrong, but usually, for the most part, we’re on the same page.”

RT Earl Watford: “You see a little bit more snap in his punch. Bradley (Sowell) does a good job athletically but sometimes you have to have a little power too. Earl is a little bit more powerful and little more assertive in pass protection. … Hopefully the butterflies don’t get to him early

LG Ted Larsen: “Ted has actually gotten better. Coming out of last season, playing a lot of left guard for us, he has done a good job. I think he’s actually a better guard than he is a center. He’s more confident and comfortable at the guard position.”

RG Jonathan Cooper: Goodwin was asked if it was a good thing that Cooper hasn’t been talked about much. “I’ve actually stopped cursing a lot, so things are getting better.” So, is Cooper back to the level where the Cardinals thought he was when he first was playing as a rookie? “My expectations are high, so I’d say no, not yet,” Goodwin said. “Never satisfied.” Goodwin chuckled after that last remark.

As for going into the regular season without left guard Mike Iupati (knee) and without the suspended Bobby Massie (who declined interview attempts Thursday), Goodwin said he wasn’t going to worry about it.

“I can’t ever remember having the same five guys the whole season, so it’s the nature of the beast for me,” Goodwin said. “Things happen, people get hurt, but you can’t pout because guess what? They’re still going to play the game on Sunday.”

CoopOLblog

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Goodwin analyzes his O-linemen”

1. By Steve on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Darren: Are there different types of meniscus tears? I know your not a doctor but Iupati had the same injury and is only expected to miss 3-6 weeks while Momah is out for the year? This is puzzling.

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Momah

If Momah was going to be out, say a month, it’s possible the Cards just didn’t feel they could hold a roster spot that long, or use their lone IR-designated-to-return spot. It’s just bad timing.

3. By jaime on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

jeeezzzzz!!!! I really liked Momah!! Get well and back fast (100% of course)…

4. By Marlin on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

seems like….if we can get past the first week or two with a coupe wins…..we get a number of key guys back who can really help thereafter. These first two games are critical. Go Big Red !

5. By TucsonTim on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Timmy Hightower is coming back to UOP Stadium…how great is that. Hope he gets a warm reception. But I also hope he isn’t as good at pass protection as he was. My guess is that he has been studying a lot of film of Bucannon and Honey Badger

6. By Credit Card on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

The team with the least amount of questions entering a season — typically is prone for success.

The Cards have huge questions with tight ends, and o-line. Moderate questions with a defensive pass rush, middle linebacker(s), and nose tackle. Slight questions with D-coordinator, health of QBs, and running back efficiency.

Based on the number of questions looming — does not look like a promising season.

7. By bigredcards on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Credit card-

I have a few choice words for you because youre a idiot but ill just leave it be

8. By don on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

our O-ine will be excellent this year .we’ll miss Lupati the first 2 . but Larson’s solid . BA wouldn’t have made that statement about Watford . if he wasn’t confident of him. as for all the ‘concerns’ CC has about us this year .. everyone of them is really about being healthy .. if we’re healthy ,, we’ll be fine .. you can say the same about all contending teams . . so the only real question about our success this year . is Health .

GO CARDS ! ! ! !!

9. By TucsonTim on Sep 10, 2015 | Reply

Just watched 3 rookies on the OL keep Brady upright and clean. Coaching???

10. By clssylssy on Sep 11, 2015 | Reply

After watching the season opener between the Pats and the Steelers, I have to say that was an excellent game and much could be learned from those teams. It’s obvious why they are considered elite and have set the standard for the rest of the league. I was especially impressed with the physicality and toughness of both teams and the skill with which they executed the basics of blocking, tackling, and breaking tackles, that doesn’t seem to be stressed within this team. I HOPE we have worked on perfecting those basic skills since our pathetic performance in Oakland because they will be key in stopping Brees and the Saints MUCH improved 0-line. Just because they no longer have Jimmy Graham I believe the Saints will be greatly underestimated, which is a cause for concern. The addition of Max Unger at Center should necessitate BA to be a little more creative than his signature “run the ball up the middle” by AE on almost every play.
    Most sports books have our game as about even with the Saints a slight underdog -2.5 which is pretty much a wash when we are given 3.0 for HFA. I have a feeling that kickers are going to be difference makes in this game and so far that is a weakness than Keim has not addressed. I think the Cards were the team who had the most misses of the extra “gimme” points in preseason and last season we gave away field position on kick offs such that I expect the same this year. Many of our fans have voiced their lack of concern about this game because of the Saints anemic defense which, while partially true, could be a smoke screen to lure the Cards into a false sense of security. Remember this is a team who won a Super Bowl under COACH PAYTON AND DREW BREES and they are a passionate bunch anxious to reestablish themselves with a payback win against the Cards in their own house!
    We CAN’T GIVE UP THE NEST especially on the season opener, as this game will set the tone for our season. Our own 12th man and the BIRDGANG’S UNRELENTING LOUD VOICE WILL BE CRITICAL! Here’s hoping that we START STRONG, PLAY SMART & EMERGE VICTORIOUS!

11. By Joe C. on Sep 11, 2015 | Reply

Clssylssy-So the Saints giving up Jimmy Graham is no big deal but woe to the Cardinals because they don’t have a all pro tight end? And why does the addition of Max Unger impact AE running up the middle? We have a competitive team that will contend for the playoffs. So we’re a toss up with a team that won a Super Bowl, isn’t that a good thing? Once we get daryl Washington back we’ll be ok.

12. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 11, 2015 | Reply

Wonder why Fauria was available.

9/11… never forget not just a slogan

Credit Card over credit limit

13. By Richard L on Sep 11, 2015 | Reply

I don’t get it, we cut Sendlein, bring him back as a back-up and now he’s starting. Why all the politics to end up back where we were. Didn’t anyone realize this was a bad move before they cut Sendlein. I don’t know who made the decision but it rests on Keim and/or Arians. If I was Sendlein I’d be asking for a raise right about now!

14. By clssylssy on Sep 11, 2015 | Reply

Joe C…
    LOL! Did I say Graham was no big deal…don’t think so. Perhaps what you failed to get was that the Saints should not be underestimated . And…the addition of Max Unger is a major help to an 0-line that was already stronger than the Cards line, with all of it’s injuries, juggling and inconsistency to even practice!. True, AE won’t be running INTO Max and their defense has been shaky but no more so than our offense…and Coach Cowboy boots may be considered something of a flake but he had a pretty good defense a few years ago, has experience, and we should perhaps be a little more respectful of our opponents as pride commeth before the fall:) Having a Center like Max Unger will give Drew all the confidence he needs to light a fire under the rest because he will keep defenders off the Big Brees, and, I think underdogs are always dangerous. (The Cards proving that numerous time through the years)
    Apparently I miscommunicated what I was meaning to say, and that was that the Cards are going to need to be a MUCH improved offense and put points on the board because the Saints most surely will. BA’s signature run of AE up the gut is tired old news and he needs to start the season with something fresh.
    Lets take it one game at a time for now …and, if you haven’t been paying attention, the consensus on this board is that you may need the paramedics if you are holding your breath for Washington’s return!
    Have a good one and GO CARDS! PLAY SMART WITH A VENGENCE!

15. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 11, 2015 | Reply

Credit Card,

I agree there are questions, but every team has questions. The team with the least? well that just depends on who is asking.

I just watched the patriots win, without a true starting CB and 3 rookie Olineman and their main RB suspended. did they enter with Questions? Oh yes they did, and I didn’t even mention the distraction of inflate gate.

I think they cards have questions about the line, but I think this line is better than years past. Sure there are questions at OLB, but Okafer has shown he can get to the QB and Woodley is filling in till one of the 3 young guys steps up. (Golden, Riddick, and Martin).

With the amount of snaps this defense uses a NT, that really isn’t a concern. ILBs? Bucannon did a nice job last year on a 11-5 team. Weatherspoon is a good player healthy, which is a major question, but not in week one.

Finally, Rb and QB. We finally have a true , proven RB and the rookie looked very good (the Johnson’s) with Ellington, I think we are Ok. And Palmer, heck he has had 2 major injuries in his career but it isn’t like he is a little fragile guy. He takes hits and is just fine.

I understand the questions, but I can’t say they equal a bad year, when we are talking about a team that has won 21 games in last two years.

16. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 11, 2015 | Reply

Richard L

Sendlein;

He was cut because he was due a huge salary. The cards liked him, but not for those dollars. Sendlein checked around and didn’t get the money he thought and then came back at the reduced salary the cards wanted to pay him.

17. By Eazy E on Sep 12, 2015 | Reply

I finally love our o-line especially when we get fully healthy with Iupati and Massie. Watford and Larsen replacing them for right now I like. Of course, I’m a Sendlein fan, Veldheer is awesome, and Coop must play well and consistent and injury free please.

18. By jasonc on Sep 12, 2015 | Reply

JTDG-

Just keeping score but it looks like we enter the 3rd year of Keim’s first draft with Cooper, Watford, Okafor, Minter, Mathieu and Ellington as starters. That is 6 out of 9 picks starting by year three and 7 out of 9 players (Taylor) still on the roster. The only two who didn’t make it were our 7th round TE DC Jefferson and a 6th round WR Ryan Swope who retired due to concussions.

Even when you hold onto the fact that Cooper and Minter haven’t performed to the level of their draft selections it is still pretty impressive.

19. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 12, 2015 | Reply

jasonc,

A part time LB with the second round. A guard with two starts in two years and Goodwin said he still isn’t there.
    Watford is still a question mark.
    I’m not impressed with that.

But I will say, Okafor could be a very good 4th rounder and the gamble on a 5’9″ CB who sat out his senior year because of drugs looks to pay off huge. Ellington is a steal in the 6th if he stays healthy.
    Love these 3 picks.

But you know my point. What an amazing draft if he could have scored on those first two picks.

On another topic, I think you are going to watch my guy Tannehill take it to the next level. While I was absolutely correct on Logan Thomas.

My guy for 2016 draft – Conner Cook. He could step in as a number two behind Palmer and take over in a couple years. I liked this guy last year and if you look at old post, wanted to draft him till he decided to go back to school. I think this is the guy I trade up for next year.