Hidden yards of Smokey Brown’s PI calls

Posted by Darren Urban on September 22, 2015 – 9:54 am

The gains will be lost over time, because penalty yards have no way of appearing on either the Cardinals’ passing offense or John “Smokey” Brown’s personal statistics. But there is little arguing that the two pass interference calls Brown drew against the Bears Sunday were crucial. One went for 42 yards, one for 38. The first ball was in a perfect spot, until cornerback Kyle Fuller simply karate-chopped Brown’s arms down before the ball got there. The other was a little underthrown, and Brown smartly stopped and came back into cornerback Alan Ball, who was then forced to hit Brown just before the ball arrived.

More importantly, the first set up a six-yard inside screen touchdown to wide receiver Jaron Brown, while the second set up Larry Fitzgerald’s first of three touchdowns.

Technically, Smokey Brown had only five catches for 45 yards in the game, but those penalties were worth 80 yards and put the Cards into the red zone twice from long range. He said wide receivers coach Darryl Drake has pounded that into the receivers heads all through training camp, about working back to the ball if it is underthrown to try and draw a penalty.

“That’s the mindset that coach Drake and coach Bruce Arians, they tell me, draw attention back into them,” Brown said. “I’ve been doing a great job of that.”

He’s not wrong. Brown also drew a 17-yard pass interference in the end zone in the game against the Saints (a call that was a little more suspect), setting up a 1-yard Andre Ellington touchdown run. So in two games, Brown has already accounted for 97 yards down the field on three plays for which he will never have credit.

“Hey, I’m about winning,” Brown said. “I’m not much about stats. As long as we’re winning, I’m fine.”

SmokePI

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Hidden yards of Smokey Brown’s PI calls”

1. By LadyBird04 on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

These yards might not show up in official stats, but I’m sure these “stats” are in the minds of our coaches and coaches of opposing teams. Will that force opposing players to lay back against Brown – well then he’ll catch the ball and score. Don’t lay off and then he gets a PI call. Puts opposing defenders in a no-win situation.

2. By fozzybear on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

Not a big fan of that PI call when balls are underthrown. Mark Sanchez was good at that because he cant throw more than 40 yds downfield. In N.Y. he probably led tbe league in first downs on PI calls due to underthrown balls. That said, Smokey Brown is fast, and hard to overthrow. But the rule is there and every DB in the league has to worry about an underthrown ball. Problem is the reciever sees the ball underthrown, while the DB doesnt. How can you stop? Never liked that call. But alls fair.

3. By Dynosoar on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

Jimbowan,

yes, I did misinterpret your comment.

I didn’t realize you were speaking of if Cutler didn’t get injured. He did get injured, but you are correct, he was playing pretty well. I still think we would’ve beat Chicago (and so does a friend of mine who’s a Chicago fan), but they were playing us a lot closer with Cutler than with Clausen.

We all know what it’s like when a backup who isn’t getting practice reps has to step in. The good news, our backup is Stanton and not Cutler.

4. By AzCard1898 on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

Kinda nice to have WR’s who just want to Win.

Stats don’t get you to the SB. Some on this Team have “Been There Done That” and it was Not the Stats that got them to the SB for 2008.

You just gotta Love the way Smoke thinks, “As long as we’re winning, I’m fine.”

Being a Cards fan for a long time I would really like, for the first time ever, to just sit down and have a beer with the GM Steve Keim, HC Bruce Arians and CEO Michael Bidwill of my Arizona Cardinals, just to say Thank You.

GO CARDS!!!

5. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

Smokey is becoming a very polished receiver, learning everything it takes to be a great player. Exciting to see this guy each week in Red.

But on another note, how did the TD Larry caught on the flea flicker not draw a flag?? The LB raked him with his arm long before the ball got there. Just goes to show you how strong Larry is.

And how inconsistent the refs are with PI’s

6. By dwoofer on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

Just keep flying by them, and they have to grab you to stop you. Go, Smoke !

7. By Jimbowan on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

Dino-
    No worries. Love you man and all of the red sea. Sometimes I play devil’s advocate to keep things real, but I freakin love this Cards team, it’s great. I’m sure my wife is happy. No more grumpy husband come Sunday. Go Cards! Raising mini Cards fans as we speak!

8. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

Very mature comment by Brown there, with respect to individual stats. Let’s face it, receivers want the ball. Especially receivers early in their career, since that will dictate the kind of money they get later. Fitz has already made tens of millions of dollars, so he’s set for life regardless of whether he makes $8 million or $11 million now. But for John Brown, getting 40 receptions vs. 70 receptions is going to make a huge difference down the road.

I hope he, and the other Cardinal receivers, can all maintain this attitude. I wonder if we’re going to start hearing any griping from Floyd, if he doesn’t get the ball in the year before he likely becomes a FA.

9. By Jimbowan on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

Smoke is the bomb. A beast on the field and a humble human off the field. Reminds me me of another great receiver! We’re supremely lucky to have both.

10. By Jimbowan on Sep 22, 2015 | Reply

Db’s cover, but when the receiver is fast as lightning and the qb can put it in craddle, you grab and pull and hope the ref see’s it your way. As a DB, if you don’t your screwed. It’s part of the game today. Probably why we’re thin but talented at corner, at the same time super deep at receiver.

11. By jasonc on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

fozzybear-

If the DB’s weren’t beaten on the routes they would’ve been able to get their heads turned around and then they would’ve been able to make a play on the ball. The rules are definitely in favor of offenses right now so I understand your point, but those plays against the Bears were the product of Smokey winning the on the route forcing the corners to play him…if a defensive guy doesn’t get his head turned around and play the ball it’s going to be a flag.

JTDG-

I personally think if Larry doesn’t catch that ball we would’ve seen a late flag come out.