Dockett in SF victim of first-round pick

Posted by Darren Urban on September 23, 2015 – 12:31 pm

This week was once going to be the return of defensive tackle Darnell Dockett to University of Phoenix Stadium, after the Cardinals released him in March and he subsequently signed with the San Francisco 49ers a short time later. But that didn’t quite work out when Dockett found himself released by the 49ers at the end of the preseason. Dockett remains a free agent.

The reason Dockett is no longer playing in San Francisco is simple, 49ers coach Jim Tomsula said. It was the drafting of fellow defensive lineman Arik Armstead in the first round.

“I’ve always respected everything Darnell has done on the football field,” Tomsula said. “He got here, and quite frankly, didn’t realize we’d be drafting a defensive lineman in the first round. From there, didn’t really realize how quick Arik’s progression was going to be. Coming out of Oregon, he was one of those trimester guys (rookies can’t participate in the offseason work until their school year ends) so you’re thinking we’re not going to have him for anything in the offseason.

“Then Arik got in here … that was a tough one, man.”

Dockett remains a free agent. (He is not expected to be brought back to Arizona.) He hasn’t gone away — recently he took part in this video piece about his search for the murderer of his mother, who was killed when Dockett was 13.

Darnell Docket

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Dockett in SF victim of first-round pick”

1. By Dynosoar on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

I’d like to see photos of Dockett in Cardinals Red, not 49ers uggghhh.

If Arik progressed enough to let Darnell go, it’ll be interesting to watch him.

So looking forward to the next two games. And with this one being against the 49ers, it’ll actually be televised in my market. i guess there’s one good thing about San Francisco and Seattle, I get to watch my team when they play. Yeah!

(On a side note, I watched Rich Eisen interviewing Carson Palmer and according to Palmer, BA makes no bones his goal for the team this season is winning the SB. He also takes one day at a time to get there. If it’s Wednesday, the team focuses on Wednesday practice and not on Thursday’s practice. Sunday they’ll be focused on the 49ers and not the Rams or even on Monday. One day at a time all the way to the Big Dance and a ring.)

2. By clssylssy on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

Dockett gave a lot to the Cardinals and I wish he were still wearing Cardinal #90…victim of organization politics that he could have probably survived had he been willing to swallow his pride. Gotta admire him for standing by his convictions but have to wonder if he doesn’t have regrets now as I think he really loved playing the game with his team mates in Arizona; same thing happened to Anquan Boldin, who will always be one of my favorite Cardinals.
    Very moving story about Darnell’s reflections going home with much respect for what he’s made of himself. I hope he gets picked up by a team as the season progresses and players are injured. Best of Luck to Double D and thanks for the memories!

3. By D on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

Good job BA, don’t let the guys get full of themselves…it’s a long season and before you know it, Seattle will be 2-2. Hopefully AZ will be 4-0 going to Detroit.

4. By Steve on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

Great video on Dockett, Darren, thanks for posting.

5. By don on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

DD still has a lot in the tank .
    staying healthy has been his only problem.
    injuries have cost him a few pro bowls . and now he’s a rotation guy at best
    I think he could really help a great team on 3rd down .
    with the injury to Peters . maybe we would bring him in at a small number .
    don’t know if his pride would allow that . or if we’d cut a young guy to make room .
    but sure would be nice to see him finish his stellar career in the desert .
    will always be rooting for DD🙂

6. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

I wouldn’t call it organization politics — that makes it sound like there was someone within the organization out to screw him over. I would call it the business of the NFL. It’s not like the players don’t understand how it works.

7. By Credit Card on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

It must be very hard on NFL players in their later years. They feel right, understand the game, but a rookie might have almost as good physical features — hence a team going the youth movement with their eyes to the future.

On another topic, read the Massie story. Image, if the Cards elected to go into a jumbo package: Massie at RT with Fells and Niklas as double TEs. Fitz as the WR, Watford at fullback (he has speed and footwork), and David Johnson as the tailback. That lineup would score from inside the 2-yard line. Heck, Watford has enough speed and agility to pull and have the play go outside.

I think this is what makes the Card’s team so interesting and promising — they can literally have multiple types of looks and packages. I don’t think other teams can match the number of packages the Cards can throw out there.

8. By georgiebird on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

Glad BA feels about the same as I do about the first two games.

9. By Scott H on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

I don’t see DD as being the victim of organizational politics. As stated by Kevin, the business of the NFL is what it is when players reach their mid-30’s. Ultimately, DD had a chance / offer to stay here and HE chose to go somewhere else. I mean, Fitz could have very well made the same choice. Who knows if another team would have offered him what the Cardinals did. BUT I don’t think it would have ever been about money for Fitz. Fitz clearly wanted to stay here and that certainly helped make that happen. I don’t know what DD’s priorities were. Can’t say I know it was more about money for DD, but….I suspect it probably was. AND I’m not faulting him for that. He is 34 and was coming off a serious injury. That was probably the last contract ( = payday ) he was going to get and he had every right to want to the best deal he could find for the best interests of himself, his family, his future, etc.

I’m not mad at him. It’s a shame to think his career may be over, but….it has to end for everyone at some point. In a way, I’m glad we never really had to see him play in another uniform. Yeah, he played for the Niners in the pre-season. Who cares? Doesn’t matter. IF his career is over, we can welcome him into the ring of honor someday ( he’s earned it ) knowing that he REALLY only ever played for the Cardinals. That is pretty hard to achieve in pro sports any more. Almost never happens.

10. By Mandy Sierra on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

Enjoy Twitter Darnell……………..

11. By Matt on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think darnell will be at the game on Sunday for Adrian Wilson’s ring of honor induction?

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

Matt —

RE: Dockett

Not that I have heard.

13. By jeffcardinalfan on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

everything considered I wud not mind if cards signed him for one year to an incentive based deal…we cud use more pass rush, hes been to the sb n wud know it would prob b his last chance for a ring.

14. By wut on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

The 49ers also cut him because he had a busted rib.

15. By Eazy E on Sep 23, 2015 | Reply

Praying for Dockett to get a shot whether it’s us or somebody else! Love the guy on and off the field.

16. By Marcelof on Sep 24, 2015 | Reply

the question is, would he fire up this defense even more if brought back?
    I’d like to see that….

17. By Dynosoar on Sep 24, 2015 | Reply

jeffcardinalfan,

I agree and at the same time wonder, if we bring him back for this season, who gets cut? Man that 53 man limit evens the playing field, but it makes choosing who to have on the roster difficult.

At least when we have as much depth as we do. In years past it would’ve been easy to find someone to cut, but now…

18. By Scott H on Sep 24, 2015 | Reply

Dynosoar –

Well said. It is amazing how deep this team is when they are generally healthy.

I mean….having DD back with the Cardinals would be really cool in some ways ( most having to do with the heart ), but I certainly can’t think of anyone that, if we released that player to bring DD back, we would be a better team. And that’s why I really don’t think it’s gonna happen.

But I hope he will stay in the family, ala Adrian Wilson, Aeneas Williams, etc.

19. By Marcos on Sep 26, 2015 | Reply

He signed with San Fran for the same $$ that the cards offered and then bad mouthed the organization…he wont be welcomed back for that.