Blocking communication an issue against Rams

Posted by Darren Urban on October 5, 2015 – 3:49 pm

Bruce Arians called the Cardinals’ pass protection “very iffy” against the Rams — not a total shock given the talent the Rams have up front — and said it extended to the tight ends and the running backs at various times.

“Our communication was terrible in this ball game,” Arians said. “With the three-man line and nickel blitzes, we did not do well.”

Center Lyle Sendlein acknowledged the need to communicate better. “There was a lot for us to talk about,” Sendlein said. “That’s a good defense. They did a good job disguising their blitzes, and they’ve always done a good job bringing their linebackers through if the back blocks. That’s something that lands on me, getting everyone on the same page.”

— Arians said again that running back Andre Ellington was close to playing against the Rams. It came down to having Ellington available in case versus having a healthy player active. I’d guess Ellington would be available against the Lions barring a setback this week.

— On the late TD pass to Tavon Austin surrendered by cornerback Jerraud Powers, Arians said it wasn’t Powers’ responsibility.

“Jerraud gave inside leverage to a guy who was supposed to be waiting for him,” Arians said. “Wasn’t there.”

— The holes for Todd Gurley came from various mistakes, almost all from trying to do to much. Arians said one example was rushing the passer instead of squeezing what turned into a cutback lane. In another case, linebacker Kevin Minter — who had taken much of the Gurley blame himself Sunday — tried to spin off a block and by doing so vacated his lane.

“Something as simple as that,” Arians said.

— Arians thought the Rams fumble-that-wasn’t was “obvious,” but he shrugged it off by noting the Rams fumbled moments before. “We should’ve recovered the fumble the play before and it would’ve never happened, when it was laying between our legs. We had our chances.”

p1525603707-3

Tags: , , , ,

34 Responses to “Blocking communication an issue against Rams”

1. By TucsonTim on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Sendlein is one of the worst centers in the NFL, why would anyone care what he has to say. Do I really need to see him throw his hands up in the air one more time after a play.

For all of you thumbs down black loving jersey lovers, BURN THEM

So why wasn’t the “communication” good. I thought the fans were as good as any game I have seen since a playoff. Church mouse quiet when CP was at work and painfully loud when they were on offense. One of my great disspaointments. If you have seen other QBs melt under the noise, then you understand.

2. By TucsonTim on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

And BTW BA, everyone except you, obviously, knew Gurley was getting the ball

3. By dkerry5242 on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Remember, The Cardinals only had to get in Field Goal range with 2 minutes to play, yet it seemed like they were determined to score a touchdown, hence the number of passes they tried after 2nd down and 2 yards to go. Could Arians ego have gotten in the way to put it to the Rams with a Touchdown? I don’t know; but that was some horrible play calling all day in the Red Zone and that final drive had to be the worst use of the clock when all you had to do was kick a game winning field goal.

4. By Steve on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Bruce Arians is a darn good coach but despite all the errors he pointed out correctly after the game he should have also admitted that he got out coached this game. John the Draft Guy mentioned that he heard Bruce say that Palmer audibled out of a run play during the final sequence of plays at the end, if that is true then I take back some of my criticism of B.A’s play calling. Chris Johnson should have gotten 25 carries in this game the way he was playing instead of just 16 and that would have taken some pressure off of Palmer. We threw it 46 times which played right into the Rams strengths.

5. By TucsonTim on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

And BA, Butler is as good a punter as L Brown was a LT…..”elite”

6. By georgiebird on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

What’s so difficult with the Rams’ game. Foles outplayed Palmer when the chips were down- simple as that. Foles made some great throws and the receptions were equally good. And Gurley came on strong. End of discussion. Could it happen again-YES.

7. By georgiebird on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Most important point- Cards have to split with the Seahawks and then both teams will have a loss to the Rams. This game will have more value in scaling down the Cardinals’ rhetoric than it will in costing the Cards a #1 seed. And we play the Packers too. So for me, the Rams game was more positive than negative- we still have control of the #1 seed and all the home games to follow..
    For the Cardinals it’s really- Put up or Shut up.

8. By georgiebird on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

I want to commend Patrick Peterson for shedding some weight. He now looks and moves like an NFL corner. But from the neck up, he’s NOT an NFL corner.

9. By rod on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Sure would be nice if Lions could beat Sags tonight and we beat the Lions next week.

PS. Bought a new bowling ball, a Track Tour SiC, veddy niiiize!!

10. By shane on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

is there a way to ban “georgiebird” very tired of his negative comments every post .. its getting old..

11. By Credit Card on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Rams front four + the Broncos LBs + the Cards DBs = best defense ever.

Calais Campbell lights out.

Rams out physicalled the Cards. And the Cards made physical and mental mistakes. It happens.

The Cards are a good team — they will bounce back.

Detroit plays tough at home. Detroit had a few free agents leave their team this last summer. Stafford has a big arm with big physical targets.

Cards will need a big game from Patrick Peterson.

Cards need to physically pound the ball down via a solid run game in order to be successful.

12. By krehbieo14 on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

georgebird-

Next to Calais Campbell, PP was our best player on the field. Check PFF. His weight fluctuations were related to his diabetic issues. I’m not sure what to make of your comment: ” But from the neck up he is NOT an NFL corner.” You’re kidding right?

13. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Detroit finds a new way to lose. Too bad it was against Seattle.

14. By Richard S on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

RANK TEAM* RATING Win margin on neutral field Homefield 3 point advantage Won by
    1 GBAY(1) 99.87 11.57 14.57
    30 JAX(30) 82.44 1.32 -1.68
    31 CHICAGO(26) 82.11 -10.65 -13.65
    32 TAMPA(29) 81.12 -1.32 1.68
    Byes Carolina Miami Minn, Jets WEEK 5 picks
    14 games
    After week 3, 41/63 65.08% 9/15 this week
    Initial ESPN power rank in parenthesis after team name.

Since all the teams below AZ also did worse than expected Az stays in the #5 slot
    although they dropped 1.6 points in the rating system.

Yeah there are some 4-0 teams out there but they didn’t play competition much different from them or they didn’t blow them away when they did. (Actual point margin – predicted point margin)/10 added and subtracted from prior ratings for the 2 teams involve. Teams slowly drift towards where they belong. This weeks the Cards underperformed by 16 points so they dropped 16/10 or 1.6 points in their points rating. The system has no prejudice, the numbers decide where teams are rated.

15. By Richard S on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Number in parenthesis after team name is where ESPN initially rated the teams in their 8/31/15 power rating. So you can see how each team moved, up down or not at all.

16. By Richard L on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Ted Larson, anyone, anyone?.

17. By Richard L on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Earl Watford, anyone, anyone?

18. By krehbieo14 on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

JohnnyBlueNose-
    Yeah, too bad it was on a blown call!

19. By clssylssy on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

WOW! What a hit Cam Chancellor put on Megatron (felt it all the way to Arizona)! Nonetheless, the Seahawks had a pretty tight game against the Lions, which, leads me to believe that the Lions are tired of losing and will have their sights set on a W with Arizona. Thank goodness this is a short week for them and hopefully we’re coming out reved up and fighting. I think we learned some valuable lessons last week and we need this win for a confidence builder. Let’s rebound this week with a vegence, remembering what we did when we played the 9ers! Let’s get physical and show any doubters that this team is for real despite the spanking by the sheep!

20. By Marcelof on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

That’s it BA

Say no excuses, find lots of solutions.
    Had the Cardinals scored a TD earlier in the game the “fumble” would not have mattered.

It’s time to got back into the endzone more frequently. Cards can do that better than anyone. The route to Lombardi just had a “hitch and go” route.

21. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

Looked like we “recovered” both fumbles.

22. By Michaelfromstl on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

All in all the game still came down to the last two minutes… What I’m really surprised about; How are the refs not under fire right now?

The two fumbles the Cardinals RECOVERED (first one, only saw a clip of the replay, 3 black jerseys around the ball, but blue/gold Recovered?) down near the 20 and 10yards line. That is a crucial call that had an affect of the outcome. The Cardinals get the ball, and score a TD or FG at least from there…. Also, that saves some time on the clock… Idk how anyone can be ok with this.

Yes, the game still came down to the last two minutes, and my complaint is unnecessary due to the fact it doesn’t matter.

Then, Lions answering my prayers, get there game decided by the refs on a play that had me thinking when he tipped it out “What a joke move.” I turned it off after that and later discovered it was an illegal play…

I guess, the officiating crew will dictate the outcomes every week. WE NEED TO GET THIS FIXED… Games should not be decided by a bs call, especially when we have the darn technology to make sure we get it right 100% of the time…..

It’s honestly a joke that it has been allowed to happen time after time.

23. By Scott H on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

Watching that game last night, I was very impressed with the Lions on defense. Granted, Lynch did not play. But they snuffed out the run and were having a lot of success getting to Wilson – which ain’t easy, as we well know.

As much as the refs ( again ) missed a call at the end of a Monday night game involving the Seahawks, the play that might have cost them the game was a play in the first half on which they had Wilson sacked for a big loss but didn’t bring him down. Typically, once he got free, he fired down field to an open receiver for a nice gain. My lord, HOW MANY TIMES have we seen him do that??? Sure enough, on the next play, he finds Baldwin for a TD and their first score. The Lions player who almost had the sack was absolutely SICK after he missed that sack! Seeing as that was the only time the Seahawks found the endzone all night…..that missed sack really hurt them.

Then, there were the refs…..thanks to them, the Lions stayed winless and the Seahawks got a win they shouldn’t have.

But what I took from the game was how the Lions were playing on defense. Their pass rush was ferocious. Granted our O-line may be better than the Lions, but it was still scary how often they were getting to Wilson, who is a lot more mobile than Carson Palmer.

Being winless AND being screwed by the refs as they were last night, I expect that Lions to be desperate for a win on Sunday. I think we are gonna have to be on our game for this one.

24. By Michaelfromstl on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

Darren, do you know which Ram player recovered the Gurley fumble?

I know; nowadays you must bite your lip, smile, and sugarcoat what you say to the cameras. That’s why I don’t believe BA believes what he said here:

“We should’ve recovered the fumble the play before and it would’ve never happened, when it was laying between our legs. We had our chances.”

Unless the Rams did recover, but from a fan standpoint there’s no way. I’ve watched the play at least a few times and its a head scratcher.

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

Michaelfromstl —

RE: Fumble

It was No. 79, tackle Rob Havenstein.

Here’s a breakdown of the play: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2015/any-given-sunday-rams-over-cardinals

26. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

krehbieo….yes, that makes it even worse.

27. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

Scott H….The Lions’ defense played well but I was not impressed with Seattle’s offense. I know they were without Lynch but I really think he can be contained anyhow. Their o-line is average at best. Their receivers are ok but they only seem to be a factor because Wilson scrambles around so much and buys them enough time to get open. They have not made much use of Jimmy Graham yet. Why is that? In fact, their offense reminds me of “school yard football”.Russell Wilson is their only weapon and I know we can contain him. I also know that he is taking a real beating each game. Give him credit. He’s tough. But he might get tired and he does fumble the ball so I really am not worried about him. Seattle’s defense is still very solid and I expect close games when we play them. And I expect us to win. But Detroit is up next. They are resilient but I expect last night’s game will take a lot out of them. Plus they had some injuries. If we can put up some points early I think we can win easily. If we cannot then we are not as good as you and I think we are.

28. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

I like that Arians just mans up and says we had our chances. I mean, I’ve been all over the message boards of about a half-dozen sites talking about how the Cardinals got hosed on the 2nd fumble (the “forward progress” play) and we should be 4-0. But, to Arians’ point, if we just take care of business on the other 100-plus plays in the game, no one remembers a bad call on a fumble. No excuses. Glad our HC is more mature than I am.

29. By Scott H on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

JohnnyBN –

Oh, I won’t go so far as to say I think we will win easily against the Lions. We’re on the road and they are going to be in desperation mode. I expect the Cardinals to win. I rarely expect it to be easy!

Russell Wilson scares the hell out of me, dude. Having Lynch back there is a necessary component of that offense but Wilson’s ability to escape / move around / buy time and then to always find an open guy down the field is unlike anything I have ever seen. He could make an amazing highlight reel of plays he has made against the Cardinals alone! He has killed us just about every time we have played him. We had that one great game against him in late 2013. Aside from that, he has pretty much owned / dominated the Cardinals, sorry to say.

I DO worry about him! But….Lions up next, so let’s focus.

30. By cards62 on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

Agree with Johnny Blue Nose we need to get up early and have our secondary play like they did against San Fran so Lions do not think they have a chance to win, because if Carson has to pass 46 times again the Lions will get after him. Lets get up early and run the ball.

Darren are you hearing any encouraging words on the development of DJ Humphries or X. Williams? I know they have not played any games which is what matters most but just wondering if they are showing any growth in practice?

Go Cards beat those Lions. Hate those 1 PM EST games for our players just does not seem fair.

31. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Humphries, Williams

I have not. I will try to ask. I don’t think either one will be in the mix barring injuries.

As far as the Lions game, it is a 4 p.m. EST kickoff.

32. By Michaelfromstl on Oct 7, 2015 | Reply

Thank you. Non-essential now, but a little clarity helps. Plus I live in STL and my family are quick to relish the Rams wins, since they only come so often. SO I’ve heard some smack.

2. Oct 6, 2015: 10/6 Bird Droppings: Blocking communication an issue, Losing not acceptable, NFL News LINK | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog
  3. Oct 9, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | A healthy Friday before the Lions