Keim: Losing is not acceptable

Posted by Darren Urban on October 5, 2015 – 8:13 am

The Cardinals lost their first game of the season Sunday, and Monday, General Manager Steve Keim was predictably upset.

“Losing is not acceptable to me,” Keim said during his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. “I’m not very happy. and that’s the way this organization needs to be run. From the top down, we don’t want to lose. That’s what we should get our fans in a habit of having, a team that is not accustomed to losing here.”

There wasn’t a whole lot of breakdown from Keim, because, as noted, the Cardinals were minus-three in turnovers and 1-of-5 in the red zone and that’s how you lose in the NFL. “It’s pretty simple — football 101,” Keim said. The one positive was that the Cardinals still had a chance to win in the closing minutes even though they played poorly, and even that didn’t sound like it improved Keim’s mood much.

— Keim did say he wasn’t sure he had ever seen an interior defensive lineman dominate a game like Calais Campbell did (11 tackles). Keim said he thought it was “maybe his best game as a pro.” Campbell was excellent. But Keim also emphasized Campbell was the only player he was willing to say had a good game. Everyone else might have had flashes, but also mistakes.

— The offensive line was “average,” Keim said, saying he thought they did a decent job against three- and four-man fronts but had trouble if any more players were brought in and the hot receiver wasn’t found immediately.

— There was “good and bad” from guard Mike Iupati. Iupati definitely had some rust, Keim said. (He also said there was good and bad for almost every individual he was asked about.)

— Keim was disappointed in defenders getting out of their gaps and not being in run lanes, noting specifically Kevin Minter and Deone Bucannon (Minter after the game blamed himself for much of it) and bringing up Rashad Johnson’s bad angle taken on one play trying to chase Todd Gurley.

— The good-and-bad applied to QB Carson Palmer too. Keim said rookie David Johnson (again, a good and bad day for him too) was “wide open” on the final fourth-down slant and Palmer just put the ball too high.

— Keim said running back Andre Ellington was close to playing Sunday, and provided he has a good week, Ellington seems to be tracking to be available against the Lions.

— Keim was not asked about this, but I noticed after the game that while he was active, linebacker Sean Weatherspoon did not play Sunday.

— Keim’s final thoughts: “I’m more disappointed for the organization and fanbase. … We’ve just got to bounce back. It’s a long season.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Keim: Losing is not acceptable”

1. By jaime on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

To me i am kind of glad to be back here on Earth, waaaayyyy too much hype and the confidence started to become arrogant and i did not like that, that is not my Cardinals team I enjoy and am a fan of. Lets get back to work now!!!! Go BIG Red!!!

2. By Jason on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

I thought this was a poor game for the refs. I feel they also cost Big Red especially that fumble inside the 10….

3. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Cardinals will feel sick to their stomach’s after watching the tape. It was a collective loss, but the 2 fumble recoveries we weren’t awarded were game changers…as were multiple unfilled gaps, dropped passes, fumbles, missed blocks and inaccurate passes.Weird game where 75% of the play was excellent, not just good, too. Can’t recall seeing so many single plays that could have changed not just the complexion but outcome of the game.

Rams under Fisher and what’s his name have become a dirty team routinely hitting out of bounds and late… man up Cardinals and kick their asses next time.
    DTL and Don’t Take Their Dirty Play.

4. By T-Roy on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

As a CARD’S fan, I am ecstatic that we played horrible and still should have won. Should have. Also, I don’t complain about calls and stuff like that either. But, But, those fumbles were missed by a side judge 7 feet away and the ball came right at him. Fine him. The league always wants to fine the players for helmet to helmet when they are running at each other at 17 miles per hour. Coaches say ref missed a call and they get a bill for $75K. Where is the accountability of a ref when he misses a call that is a game changer or changes the outcome of the play/game? There is none. Yes, CP had DJ for the 4th and 4 at the end. Yes, BA didn’t even use the best player on the field for the first three qtrs. in the last 12+ minutes in CJ. Our whole staff made mistakes. But, the defining moment was when we took the momentum and then took the football from them. No chance to see what might have happened, but that side judge should be held accountable. That is all I am saying. Let’s face it, we just need to get our heads on straight and move on. We were 9-1 after 10 last year, we can do it again. I believe. Let’s ALL BELIEVE that TEAM IS WHAT IT TAKES!!!

5. By Damon on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Strictly on the refs for this one theyvplayed a tough one. The Cards kept answering everything the refs threw at them but in the end, the refs were just too much of a challenge. Came close in the end, but you gotta give it to the refs, they played hard.

6. By clssylssy on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Glad to hear Keim say what everbody has to be feeling already. This team is SO full of talent that there are really no excuses. The only thing Keim didn’t address was the play calling which was terrible on both sides of the ball. I love BA’s philosophy of keeping the foot on the gas but that only works when we come out strong and take the lead. Otherwise, it leads to recklessness and a bad crash that was avoidable. I think the Rams got in our heads and a lot of the players were playing inconsistently…tentative to reckless abandonment (desperation) without thinking. This can almost be expected when there is the history we have with the Rams and the rep they have developed under Fisher/Williams as being a dirty team. The Rams offense is not that good and so no reason we weren’t getting sacks and being in THEIR head!
    Can’t blame everything on the refs, they are what they are with no accountability, so, we have to be flawless. On to Detroit and hopefully some intense study and preparation this week. We will see these guys again, and by then, hopefully we’ll have their number and can serve them a dose of humiliation!

7. By Austin on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Can someone please explain to me why rashad Johnson is starting ?? He constantly is getting beat and in bad position. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Tyrann mathieu needs to be the FS. And please stop with the whole deone is a Linebacker. If you watch him you would see that he is playing pretty good at LB but obviously out of position. He is NOT a linebacker. Put him at SS and tyrann at FS and Bethal as 3rd corner. They always talk about having the bet players/athletes on the field. PUT WEATHERSPOON in at mlb with minter with tyrann and deone as our safeties. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Rashad Johnson is soooooo overrated…..Darren can you please help me ?? Haha

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Austin —

RE: Players

Given that it is the coaches that see these guys every day on the field and in the meeting room, I’ll go with their preference. Especially since yesterday was the first defensive clunker.

9. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Despite the loss, wanted to share some of our game day experience:
    As you may recall, we’re privileged, 25+ or so consecutive season tix holders (not sure exactly) we sit row 1 North end zone. My 3 yo twins, hanging on the rail, always are greeted by smiles, high five pompoms from the cheerleaders (my personal fav😉 high fives from the drum corp, Big Red and the flag guys, often captured on the big screen cameras.

Yesterday was even better.
    1. Pregame, the drum corp presented my little boy with a Cardinals logoed pair of wooden drum sticks, the real deal not a promo pair, wow was he thrilled;
    2. An NFL ref picked up a pink towel that fell off a player during a play in front of us, ran over and threw it up to my little girl, we whiffed but guy behind us caught it, took one look at my little one and threw it to her, her heart melts;
    3. half time or bt/w quarter had the flag guys playing with StubHub little rubber footballs, of course one of the high five friends handed one up to my little ones…lol.

Miss the days of Anquan Boldin handing up football after scores, but these were really generous, kind acts…much thanks to the Cardinal organization, the NFL and our great fans. Wow. Still stinging from loss, but we know the players feel worse. Go Cards.

10. By robert on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Darren, why didn’t Weatherspoon play?

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Robert —

RE: Weatherspoon

He doesn’t play special teams, and I am guessing his package wasn’t called. The Cards used most of the same 11 guys on defense more yesterday than other games.

12. By Red Dead Redemption on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Only good thing about this? Maybe the Cardinals Superbowl odds will go from 12 to 1, up to maybe 15 to 1. It was 30 to 1 the start of the year and kicked myself for not putting something down.
    If the Cardinals win the Super Bowl? I’d like to get something beyond a great feeling along with a cool shirt and hat for sticking with them since 1983 and the troll of a Super Bowl loss and 58-0.
    The Cardinals like the Cubs are one of those teams that should ensure their fans get Championship rings with the crap they had to deal with over the years. I’d even go with offering the fans a chance to by one that is a high quality replica and ranges around the price of a real jersey.

13. By Brad oneill on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

I feel bad for detroit, this next one is going to hurt i have a feeling.

14. By Coach K on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

We rebuild our offensive line.

We are averaging over 5 yard per carry

Three times we have third and short in the Red Zone

What does Bruce Arian’s call?

A PASS!

Moral of the story….Bruce Arian’s blew this game with piss poor play calling
    on third and short yardage.

15. By Don on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

I feel like we choked. I know Palmer was pressured but he normally stays cool and Sunday he didn’t. To many bad throws and open receivers not seen. Dropped passes, fumbles and poor play calls.
    There was no excuse for the Cards not to have managed a field goal in the last minutes.
    This bums me out but I know the Cards will learn and come back stronger.

16. By joe Holst on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Jaron Brown should have jumped higher and caught that ball on 3 and 2 at the 25, he only need to get his hands up faster and he would have the Cards in FG range with under 1:50 to go. Now 4 out of 5 on the road.

17. By Kevin on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

SUGGESTION: Get rid of offsetting penalties. Not fair. We were on offense and STL had a pass interference call (15 yards) against Floyd. We also had a holding call (5 yards). They offset. I say do the math and give us 10 yards for the pass interference. This could work against us at times, but overall a fairer system.

18. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

Our final drive;
    I heard BA say on second down, Palmer audibled out of the run play.

What bothers me more is on 3rd down the rams went with 3 down, 3 LBs and 5 DBs, they doubled Larry, forcing Palmer to throw to Jaron Brown, who let the ball go through his hands. We all forget everything if Brown catches the ball, but how do you not run the ball with that front on 3rd and 2?

I also hated the CJ was not in on the last drive. The guy was running hard. Heck we paid Iupati, Cooper and Veldheer a lot of money and if they cant get us two yards on 3 carries, we made some bad signings and draft picks.

Fisher was the better coach sunday.

19. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

For me, it is simple,

3 turnovers – lead to 14 pts
    no touchdowns and 5 FGs including a FG after being first and goal from the one.

Can’t win that way.

20. By Bob on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

In Rashad’s defense, he looked like he was playing hurt the rest of the game once a couple guys helped him off the field at one point.

21. By Austin on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Still doesn’t make any sense to me. I mean Adrian Wilson could have easily played linebacker right ? But we kept him at his natural position… Safety. And he is was like 6’3 235, definitely bigger than Deone. We have the athletes to play with seattles secondary of the last couple of seasons with Peterson mathieu bucannon and Bethol or powers. Rashad Johnson is the weak link in my book and needs to see the field less. I honestly think Weatherspoon right now is by far a superior linebacker than Deone will ever be. He is not a linebacker and if they keep playing him out of position he will get hurt. He had what 15 INT in college playing safety and has 0 so far as a pro tells me he’s being misused. I think weatherspoons hammy is fine by now and the coaching staff and stop punishing him for being the real milkman haha

22. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Urb wrote: “The Cards used most of the same 11 guys on defense more yesterday than other games.” Jives with what Wolfley said, “they wore our defense down, which also panicked a bit”.

Also, agree with Austin a bit, the package we used, which may have worn down, was a speedy package, and Rams are fast. But have to wonder if Spoon and Minter might not have done better filling those gaps late, on Gurley runs. Also have seen Bethel play lights out and Rashad be out of position more than a couple times, even those he also quite a ballhawk. Monday morning quarterbacking, I know, sorry…

23. By BIGAL on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Coach K
    I am soo w/u…as bad as some things went, & really, the Rams played a physical,
    almost flawless game…w/Foles dropping a few perfect dimes for their TD scores…
    And yet there we were w/a chance to win on the last possession…we were behind from the kickoff fumble…yet the game was close…so when your two RB’s are averaging over 5 yards/carry… why would you throw the ball 46 times, playing into the strength of the Rams defense, their pass rush??? I don’t get it??? Plus lets just put our 35 year old/just back from injury… QB in harms way??? I don’t get it???
    You work soo hard to have a 3rd & 2 situation (or short)…So that you can run Play/Acton Fake or Keep, keeping the defense honest…& then you pass, pass, pass, pass, pass…46 passes to 20 rushes…what’s that ratio for a balanced offense? I just don’t get it???
    And CJ2K has been running soo well for us…yet he’s only been here what…6-7
    weeks? I don’t get it Bruce?

24. By steve on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Get ride of those ugly black uniforms….the Cardinal color is RED!

25. By Wayne on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

It’s sucks to lose this way but we weren’t going 16-0, everyone getting on coach Arians but he didn’t fumble the kickoff and drop a wide open perfectly thrown ball to Johnson and if those 2 plays don’t happen we’re talking about the win today. I will say the refs blew 2 major calls, we all know the fumble that wasn’t but the horrible call was the hit out of bounds that was called but picked up, I still don’t understand how they reversed that call, I’m sure the Rams had something to gripe about but I was paying attention to my Cardinals, major whooping coming for the Lions next week because of how inconsistent the play was next week.

26. By Austin on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Also I’m not saying rashad Johnson is a horrible player. I’m just saying he is not better than mathieu at FS or good enough to start on supposedly “most talented secondary in the league”. I can guarantee sometime this year it will happen lets just see if the coaches will do it sooner rather than later. Go watch the film and watch Rashad try to come up and tackle gurley, it’s embarrassing. What position is mathieu even playing with 4 safeties on the field ?? The 2nd FS while rashad is the #1 FS and the “qb” that gets us lined up on D what a joke. Bettcher got severely outsmarted by a mediocre QB with 2 starting rookie linemen. I want to see spoon out there ASAP. All we’ve heard about this offseason is our depth so why are we playing the same 11 players according to Darren ? Another great question that isn’t being asked. That is the only complaint I have about our team at the moment, it’s just crazy that only 1 other person can see what I’m seeng.

27. By Scott H on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Yesterday’s game is now in the loss column. Nothing can change that. But as a matter of perspective, I would offer this – that loss yesterday ( even at home ) was more palatable than losing to the sorry-ass Falcons last year and having a completely washed up Steven Jackson have a 100-yard day against our defense. THAT was un-acceptable. Whether or not some people want to admit it or not, the Rams are a damn good team, one that we have been struggling with in recent years. They made more plays, they won the game. It really ain’t much more complicated than that.

28. By TucsonTim on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

“Campbell was the only player he was willing to say had a good game. Everyone else might have had flashes, but also mistakes”

93 was the only player out there for “our side” Sunday. I love that he made a statement, you are not the best DT in the NFL, today I am. Unfortunately, no one else including BA and his coaches thought this was a statement game.

Yes, BA you called the same studpid screen that went for an interception in Chicago.

How do you you take for granted a team that went to Seattle and won???

How do you take for granted ANY team in the NFL.

This loss started at the top and ended up with a beat up QB making bad thows on 2nd 3rd and 4th down with a hall of fame RB watching on the sidelines.

29. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG,

Yes, I agree… hard to understand not running the ball there.

That said, while the pass to Jaron Brown was a little high, an NFL receiver has to make that catch. No one hit him… he just didn’t catch a ball that hit him in the hands.

So you and I can disagree with the play call, but the play was there. Brown just blew it. And then Palmer threw a bad pass on the next one.

30. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

If I recall, in the recent past it’s been the practice of the NFL to have one of their officiating VP’s go over some of the controversial plays of the prior week in a video. I wonder if the Rams’ “that wasn’t a fumble because his forward progress was stopped” play will be covered. Mike Pereira had no explanation for the call on Fox — he just said that since that was the call on the field, it wasn’t reviewable, but he acknowledged that it was hard to justify how that could have been the call on the field. I doubt anyone looking at that play could conclude anything other than it was a blown call.

31. By dkerry5242 on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

The Cardinals only had to get in Field Goal range with 2 minutes to play, yet it seemed like they were determined to score a touchdown, hence the number of passes they tried after 2nd down and 2 yards to go. Could Arians ego have gotten in the way to put it to the Rams with a Touchdown? I don’t know; but that was some horrible play calling all day in the Red Zone and that final drive had to be the worst use of the clock when all you had to do was kick a game winning field goal.

32. By krehbieo14 on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

BA’ s philosophy is to give his high draft pick rookies game exposure as soon as possible. With that in mind, David Johnson made two critical mistakes that were costly. However, in the long haul it may have been worth it because with more experience, he’s going to be a major asset on offense as we move forward.

33. By TucsonTim on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Keim, you have been amazing. Do you want to replace Patrick Peterson. No??? Then why do you allow your coach have him returning punts???? Risk Reward ratio…. Do you get it. Just for the sake of argument, lets say he is as good as he was when he returned punts for TDs. Lets have him have an ACL like Honey Badger going for that 5th TD…is that worh it??? Or would you rather have a true shut down corner (which you have paid a lot of $$$), and of which you know there are very few: or a punt returner. Did your heart skip a beat when PP when up and slammed down last Sunday???? Business decision goes to Golden returning punts. STOP IT

34. By john on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

I specifically remember getting sick over a 3rd and 3 and the cardinals ran with David for a yard or something in the red zone. Why? Coach honestly felt this was the best choice? Also why on gods green earth would the cards continuously try outside runs vs this defense? this team played and coached like they were hung over. 1st and hopefully last time I ever felt like Coach /players played to lose the game. I hate the Rams more than the 49ers and Seahawks x10. Keims comments have made me feel a little better but a loss to the Rams is never ever o.k. I hope next time we show them no mercey. None

35. By robert on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

last frickin comment about this freakin game…i think th CArdinals/BA were a little to cocky especially in the play calling..if i had a 35 yr old QB playing like a all pro i would not have his ass sitting back there against a D line like St Louis..i mean the guy is going to get killed passing 50 times against anyone..i wish someone would ask BA to defend his play calling

36. By Scott H on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

OMG, folks, just give it a rest with all the whining about the play-calling!! This coach is among THE best in the NFL right now and strictly in terms of wins and losses, he is THE best HC in this team’s history. I’d say his play-calling has done a whole lotta good for this team since he’s been here. Listening to some of you people, you would think we were 1-3 and the season were going up in flames.

After 2 full seasons and 4 games, he has….what, 24 wins? And we need him to defend his play-calling all the sudden??

Look at what is going on in places like Miami and Philly so far, then tell me what you REALLY have to complain about right now. Gimme a damn break….

37. By uss.missouri on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Cards 38 Detroit 10 see this is moving on lol

38. By Coach K on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Kevin, JTDG, Big Al

Palmer got tight in the last drive and was overthrowing. He felt the pressure of making that last drive and he got tight. I could see it on every throw. On the last overthrow to Johnson, Palmer was expecting a big rush and panicked even though it never came.

Moral of the story. He should never had been put into that situation if we run the ball on three consecutive third and short plays.

39. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

Wow, I was all set for a post about how teams that were -3 or more in turnover margin lose over 93% of the time when the Lions had 3rd and 1 from the Hawks’ 10 yard line… I was going to say, see, just like we lost at home to the Rams due to 3 turnovers, so did Seattle lose to Detroit… it’s just too much to overcome in most circumstances, even if you’re a very good team and the opponent is mediocre.

And then Detroit fumbles on the half-yard line, so it’s now a -2 margin for Seattle instead of -3, Seattle wins, and my entire point is moot.

40. By Timmy on Oct 5, 2015 | Reply

@robert

I’d say you just defended his play calling with your comment. If you have a 35 year old veteran quarterback playing like an all pro, why wouldn’t you put the game in his hands? Belichek would put the ball in Brady’s hands. Most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s easy to second guess everything after the fact. I trust this team!

41. By Scott H on Oct 6, 2015 | Reply

Timmy –

Well said. Most of the time, our play-calling HAS worked, as evidenced by our overall record since the day Arians got here. We’ve got way too many Monday morning QB’s who always know what we SHOULD have done after the game is over.

If they keep winning 3 out of every 4 games, I think I’m going to keep trusting the play-calling that is getting us there. It’s the coaches who LOSE 3 out of every 4 games who should be called on the carpet for their play-calling.

2. Oct 5, 2015: 50 things we learned in Week 4 of the NFL season | News Feed