Ellington TD meant more than just six points

Posted by Darren Urban on October 16, 2015 – 11:12 am

The Cardinals’ running game has been excellent. But it shouldn’t be lost in the shuffle how important that 63-yard touchdown run was for Andre Ellington against the Lions. Ellington had a great start this season before he hurt his knee against the Saints and then watched Chris Johnson zoom in and take the starting job.

Ellington had only three carries Sunday. The other two netted zero yards. But at least he got the first hit out of the way on those.

“That first tackle I got (was crucial),” Ellington said. “The run, I knew I could do that. But getting that first hit out of the way, man, getting those nerves out, man, that felt good.”

That touchdown jaunt was what Ellington does, however. On a smaller scale, Ellington wanted to live down his preseason catch-and-run against the Chiefs when he was (somewhat stunningly) caught from behind. He admitted thinking during the run in Detroit, “I’m not getting caught this time.”

Big picture, coming off a knee injury, the one thing everyone was waiting to see was the explosive Ellington. Even Ellington. In one race to the pylon, everyone understood Ellington was back as a part of what has become a very effective three-headed ground game.

“It meant a lot,” Ellington said. “It made me feel comfortable to where I am right now, like, ‘OK, I’m ready.’ I wasn’t too sure. I knew I felt better and I knew I was working hard, but to break a long run like that, it raised my confidence more than anything.”

EllTweet

Tags:

9 Responses to “Ellington TD meant more than just six points”

1. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 16, 2015 | Reply

Amazing, looking back 2-3 years: we had no home run RBs, poor OL, and not a sniff or whiff of a QB. Now, “we’re in the $$”.

Before we didn’t even have hope, now we have expectations, and they are reasonable expectations. lol.

2. By Dynosoar on Oct 16, 2015 | Reply

It’s widely believed a solid run game will open up the air attack. It’s no secret I’ve always felt this works both ways and a solid aerial game will open up the ground game.

What I never expected was to have such a solid group of RBs AND WRs that can open up the game for each others game.

Man, who do you defend and with three Ellington and two Johnson’s who can work to relieve each other, we always have fresh legs and that’s got to be a nightmare for defenses. Throw in Fitzgerald in the slot, Floyd outside the numbers and Smokey stretching the field.

Then for good measure, Fells and three RBs that can be a short pass from a long run at any time and man…

I love this team and the way they’re built.

3. By krehbieo14 on Oct 16, 2015 | Reply

Having a team that can both run and pass changes the whole complexion of the offense. The Cardinals have multiple weapons to move the ball that makes it hard for defenses to effectively scheme. Carson and his play action is a killer for game planning. Having Ellington healthy and confident just adds one more weapon to the Card’s arsenal. We have the balance now!

4. By Pat on Oct 16, 2015 | Reply

Darren, do you know if Mike Iupati will play on Sunday?

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 16, 2015 | Reply

Pat —

RE: Iupati

Arians said he’ll play.

6. By Dr H on Oct 16, 2015 | Reply

It’s amazing what a good coach, GM, owner and QB can do!

7. By georgiebird on Oct 16, 2015 | Reply

Hope BA learned a little something from the Ellington run. Keep AE fresh going into the 2nd half and he can explode against tired players. AE should have only 4-5 touches in the 1st half.

8. By John on Oct 16, 2015 | Reply

Man what a great bunch of guys we have back there. 2 Star veterans and a young hungry future beast! By far the most complete Cardinals team i’ve ever seen!

9. By William Barry on Oct 18, 2015 | Reply

We are 4-1 and trying to be 5-1, because we have a lot of weapons and teams cant key on just one player. Go Cards!!!!