A missed opportunity, and Keim seeks focus

Posted by Darren Urban on October 19, 2015 – 8:07 am

Before we get to GM Steve Keim on this Monday morning, this one is going to hurt. If there was a time you were going to win in Pittsburgh, it was Sunday, when Ben Roethlisberger is out and the left tackle gets hurt early in the game and the defense is missing a couple of starting linebackers and a starting cornerback. This might end up more painful than the Rams game (although in the end, that may not be true, since the Rams game was a) at home and b) within the division.) That’s two close games in which the Cardinals had the chance to pull out in the fourth quarter — games the Cards won all last year — and didn’t do enough on either side of the ball.

As for Keim during his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7:

— The GM said he is happy with the Cardinals’ toughness. What he wants to see is “improved focus.”

“These guys are confident, they have some swagger, they play physical,” Keim said. “But when you lose focus, when you void run lanes or break down in coverage or you miss a protection, it can really change the outcome of the game. To me it’s the focus that needs to be improved.”

— Keim, like his players, lamented the Steelers game because he felt the Cardinals beat themselves. Keim deferred to Bruce Arians on why the Cards didn’t run more, but he said he thought Arians wanted to exploit mismatches against the Steelers’ secondary, which the Cards did a healthy part of the day — they just again bogged down in the red zone (and Carson Palmer made one very poor decision.)

— His offensive line assessment: The tackles did OK. Guard Mike Iupati was better than the previous weeks. Guard Jonathan Cooper and center Lyle Sendlein were up and down.

— Keim on the stay at The Greenbrier: “I think it was definitely a success.” He said the ability to adjust to the time change was a big deal. (As an aside, I will not be surprised if the Cardinals end up back in West Virginia at some point in the future. Not sure when, but someday.)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

58 Responses to “A missed opportunity, and Keim seeks focus”

1. By TucsonTim on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Not hating on CP, but he made some terrible throws to wide open receivers for missed TDs. Not sure how that translates into “team focus”

CP, next time its crunch time and we NEED a first down, here’s the progression: 11, 12, 15, TE of the day.

Did Ellington get hurt? Just wondering why he only had one run.

If Keim defines the Greenbrier as a success, I would hate to see what a failure would look like on Sunday. These east coast sleep overs don’t seem to have worked out very well at all. Just man up and come home and take care of business. Save the golf and fly fishing for the post season…talk about losing focus.

2. By Coach K on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Carson Palmer was a little off the closer he got to the red zone. His focus seems to be disrupted when he is pressing on must have drives. I noticed this in the Rams game as well. When he presses he misses his target and makes bad throws.

In Pittsburgh, each trip to the red zone not ending in points adds to his pressing later in the game. I agree with Keim, it’s a focus issue and it starts with Carson.

Finally, we need balance to win. We stopping running the ball in the second half and this added to the loss.

3. By jaime on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

this was a good loss, a learning loss. Now over next 10 games you have 2 maybe 3 more losses to get to 11-5 or 12-4, Win the west and turn on the playoff beast I know the Cards are. No chicken littles and no bandwagon jumpers here, Cards are with out a doubt in the top 5 teams. Defense is stellar and Offense has weapons. A little push to garner greatness is all I see the Steelers loss giving us. GO BIG Red!!!!

4. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

I listened to the Keim interview and agreed with just about everything he said.

Some fair-weather fans seem to forget that it’s the NFL, and the other team is getting paid too. Yesterday you had Seattle losing to Carolina (I think they were a touchdown favorite), Denver barely winning in OT against Cleveland… When you are -3 in turnovers, it’s very difficult to overcome. Keim pointed out that even with the turnover deficit, we were driving to win both of our losses near the end of the 4th quarter. That’s saying something.

Also, I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks we got the short end of the refs’ calls yesterday. Several missed PI/holding calls against our receivers (guy tugging Floyd’s jersey in the end zone was the most blatant), the “helmet to helmet” penalty that wasn’t, etc.

I do think the D lost something (whether “focus” or intensity or whatever word) in the 2nd half. I also think we need to dial it up the blitz against a QB throwing his first-ever NFL passes, instead of playing it safe and dropping everyone back.

And fans looking to blame the Greenbrier…? We played great in the first half; we were totally dominant. So if the game had continued like that, would you have said, “Wow, we should stay at the Greenbrier every year”? The Greenbrier had zero to do with our problems on Sunday.

5. By Richard L on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

I heard the Steelers were working out Ryan Lindley. Not sure if the Cards could have beat him yesterday.

6. By Bill P on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

This was not a Superbowl team playing. This team just did not seem to want to win.

7. By Richard L on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

James Harrison was head hunting yesterday. Must have a beef with Arians.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Keim – His offensive line assessment: The tackles did OK. Guard Mike Iupati was better than the previous weeks. Guard Jonathan Cooper and center Lyle Sendlein were up and down.

Sounds like what I have been saying all year.

9. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Also, not sure I agree with the whole “why didn’t we run more” line of thinking being espoused by some fans. A quick look at Palmer’s stat line shows he finished with 9.4 YPA. Even Rivers, who threw for over 500 yards, was only 7.7 YPA. Somehow I don’t think Chargers fans are lamenting that they didn’t run more (even though Melvin Gordon, their leading rusher, was doing just fine with 7 rushes for 29 yards — 4.1 YPC). Our passing game was very effective yesterday, just like San Diego’s was. As Keim said, you take what the defense gives you. CJ only had 40 yards on 14 carries… not terrible, but he wasn’t having a great game. Not sure why they didn’t run Ellington more, but I’m not going to sit here and criticize BA for not running more in a game where we had 414 net passing yards.

10. By Dynosoar on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

First thought: I wish my screen was bigger, but it looked like Floyd’s toe was in and it looked like the Steeler’s butt hit the ground before his toe tapped. But again, my screen may be too small.

Second observation: Big Ben looked like he was communicating with the QB (and that impressions strengthened with some of the comments that he called some shots with Vick the previous week). So he may have been telling his QB what he was seeing, so we were facing a 3rd string QB with real time coaching from Big Ben.

What better tutoring for Landry than that! Better than a practice for sure. If Pittsburgh were not one of the five teams on my bottom feeder list, I’d be thrilled at this training opportunity for Landry.

Last observation: Sometimes a break in the routine (Greenbriar vs. UofP) is just what a team needs. Sometimes it’s exactly wrong. Never know until after the stay if it was good or bad. This time, it didn’t end in a win, but while gold comes from mining and panning, pure gold comes from a refiner’s fire.

This game and the Rams could be like a refiner’s fire, like the Patriots game on our Super Bowl run.

Still, this was a tough loss to see.

C’mon Cardinals, be resilient! Beat those Ravens and Browns.

11. By Dynosoar on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

I cheered that someone lit a fire under those Panthers.

That’s one 12th Man that won’t have anything to brag about today in the office.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

A few observations;

As I said before a couple of blogs ago, the blueprint is simple to beat the cards.

Play solid red zone defense, keep the game close, wear down this small defense.
    It is exactly what the Steelers and Rams did. win in the 4th quarter.

4 wins=blow outs. 2 losses= close game lost in 4th quarter.

I like Palmer and believe in him. but what is going on here.
    Last drive of the rams game , two over throws and a batted down ball. Last real throw of the steeler game, into double coverage for a pick. He needs to make a play when it matters.

Who was that guy who thought the cards should draft Landry Jones? I Thought he would be perfect behind Palmer. Looked pretty good yesterday.

Betchler is no Todd Bowles. He gets conservative late. Bowles loved to bring the house. You have a guy who is making his NFL debut, after sitting all week as a back up with back up reps, and you don’t send the house????? He plays way too much zone and not enough 6-7 man blitzes like Bowles.

By the way, Bowles is 4-1 in NY.

Stats looked good but this was Palmer’s worst game. He missed wide open guys, threw into double coverage. Sure 427 yards but only 1 TD and 2 picks. Got to hit the open guy.

13. By Marlin on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

……and also……WE NEED A PUNTER!

14. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Defense losing focus is more a lack of discipline than anything. May also reflect on coaching. D should expect more of themselves. Can’t lose in Q4 to 3rd stringer.

O still not comitted to run when it matters. If stay committed, we wear out Pitt’s D, their pressures are mitigated and play action even better.

Should have been able to overcome 1st INT and Fumble, if run ball, 2nd INT doesn’t happen, imo. Rain on and off = why need consistent commitment to run game.

Larger issues than “cleaning up” and “fixing” for next game. Deja vu Rams game, hope Bettcher and BA take to heart, modify approach. But what do I know.

15. By rod on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Sucked!!

16. By shane on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

on to Baltimore people… let the coaches and players who have proven that they can win figure things out .. because trust me they will .

17. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Dynosoar —

You need a better TV. Floyd’s foot was definitely on the line.

As far as the Steeler reception, I was kinda surprised they didn’t at least stop the game and look at that one more carefully, but the way I saw it, a portion of his rear touches first in bounds and then — as he’s falling backward — more of his rear lands out of bounds. I don’t know exactly how the rule reads but I assume that all that matters is the very first part of his body to touch the ground. In that case I’d say he was in (but barely). Certainly don’t think it would’ve been overturned.

18. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

I do remember you talking up Landry Jones. Obviously it was just one game, so who knows if he can produce long term… but he definitely looked good in the limited time we saw him.

And yes, I agree, Palmer’s stats are a little deceiving. On the one hand, only one of the INT’s is on him, and he was only sacked once so he got rid of the ball. On the other hand, his 64% completion percentage probably should’ve been closer to 80% with how open some guys were. Missing open receivers hurt. I think we had an underthrown ball to a receiver that hit the ground too between his arms, but luckily it was hard to tell and wasn’t challenged.

19. By Marlin on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

DYNOSOAR…..You are correct!. If you look closely, Floyd’s foot may have touched in before it hit the line. And the Steelers receiver’s butt hit the ground same time as his 2nd ft……very close on both counts. I was surprised more was not made of both.

20. By Steve on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Win or lose, I will take Carson any day of the week as our QB over the guys this team has had over the years under center, Derek Anderson, Kevin Kolb, Matt Leinart, John Skelton, Max Hall……

21. By Scott H on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Kevin –

Just for myself, I’m not asking why we didn’t run more during the game as much as I am asking why did we not run at least on 1st down late in the game, on the play where Palmer ended up throwing the INT. As we were moving down the field to that point, I was looking at the clock, thinking if we score too quick, the Steelers are going to have time to beat us with a last second FG. The Cards were definitely in 4-down territory at that point, so….why not run on AT LEAST 1st down, maybe even on 2nd as well? Using up some more of the clock would have been useful there, that’s all I’m saying. They did have all 3 time-outs left, yes?

Bottom line, the reason we are lamenting a loss today is not because they threw the ball there, but because Palmer made a bad throw there.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Steve,

Agreed. Palmer is the real deal. He has made some amazing passes.

Disappointed that in the two close games, he couldn’t come through with the pass we needed.

But you are right, with the list you have there, we would have never had a chance.

I am a Palmer believer and backer. Just disappointed in a few passes in this game.

23. By georgiebird on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

@JTDG
    I can’t believe your post. To paraphrase, ‘disappointed Palmer couldn’t come thru in the close games but he was amazing in the romps. I am a Palmer believer’.
    Hello – is anybody home?

24. By georgiebird on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

@ Steve,
    did you purposely leave guys off the list who were “real’ NFL QBs? McCown and Hoyer are better than the group you mentioned. And I dare not mention Warner.

25. By Austen on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

This loss stings on multiple levels but to me it was yet again seeing an unknown player come in and have a career day. I know this a much better Cardinal team then years past but I always feel like the Cardinals get unlucky when it comes to unknown players. We should rebound just fine. This is a good football team.

Unknowns who had a big day vs cardinals and pretty much were never heard of again:

Brock Forsey ’03,Marion Barber ’05, Vinny Testaverde ’07, Brian Leonard ’07, Landry Jones ’15. Just to name a few lol

I know you have covered this team for a long time but doesn’t this part of the loss sting??

26. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Austen —

RE: Loss

Don’t most losses sting? We’ll see what it means in December.

27. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

I see it a little differently.

The Cards needed to score a TD. On that drive up to that point, Palmer was 4-5 passing, with 3 of the passes being 10 yards or more. We had run the ball 3 times, with David Johnson getting 3 yards on the first play of the drive, and then Chris Johnson running for 4 and -2 yards on the set of downs immediately before the INT.

So by running the ball on those two plays in the previous set of downs, the Cards had to make a play on 3rd and 8 just to avoid facing a 4th down on the 40. Which they did — a nice completion to Brown — but my point is, we were moving the ball fine by passing, not so well by running. And I guess I’m not as much a believer as some people are in the whole “don’t leave the other team with enough time to score” theory. If all we needed was a FG to go ahead, then maybe I could see milking the clock. But we needed a TD, and a TD is never a given, so I don’t think you play conservatively there. If Johnson had been gaining 5 yards a carry yesterday, different story… but he wasn’t. Also, the flip side of not leaving time for the other team to score is that you WANT to leave time on the clock if you don’t score so you can get the ball back. We actually still had an OK shot, even after the INT, considering we had timeouts to use up plus the 2 minute warning. We could’ve forced a Steelers’ punt with 2 minutes to go and had the ball at around our 30 or so needing a TD.

I agree, at the end of the day, it’s not about the fact they were throwing; it’s that Palmer made a bad throw.

28. By T Stone on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

B.A. has said he will let someone else call plays when he finds someone else better than him. Gotta be someone else better that that b s game play calling on his staff. Time to give it up. He can still approve calls but give it to a OC already old man.

29. By TucsonTim on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

45 passes/ 18 runs. I think the penalties and “non” Steeler penalties caused BA to lose focus.

30. By cards62 on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Read all comments for last 3 articles and I believe we Cardinal fans should listen to the words of Aaron Rodgers last year, relax and do not overreact. Remember our Super Bowl run and how our team looked after 6 games that season? Relax and enjoy fellow fans. I have followed this team for over 40 years and I will take 4-2 every year even if the 4 wins are against Tampa Bay. Bruce is the best coach we have had since Don C. and hopefully Bruce will go down as the greatest when he retires, but fellow fans ever year is a little different and he still needs to learn some things about this year team. One I hope he learns is run the ball a little more for less turnovers and hopefully less wear and tear on Carson over this year.

Our defensive coordinator is new and I want him and Bruce to learn these lessons now and not in the playoffs.

I wanted Carson Palmer when the Raiders over paid for him, but not at that price and I will be very happy if Carson is our QB thru the 2018 or 2019 season. I watch Carson his entire professional career and I mentioned years ago that even when he is playing great for some reason he will just throw some really really stupid passes under no pressure. Just hoping he does not do this in the playoffs.

I have concerns about our team, pass rush, run defense, punter, but also see a lot to like in our team. I am just positive if we stay healthy that we can make a Super Bowl run this year.
    I think our OL is better than our Super Bowl year.
    I think our RBs are much better.
    I think our WRs are better if Michael Floyd will play like he is capable. To me the best player on the field yesterday was Bryant WR of Pittsburgh who by the way was a 4th round pick in 2014 out of Clemson who did not do that much in college. Bryant yesterday is what I hope we were getting when we drafted Floyd few years ago and Floyd was a lot better in college. Wish we could find someone to motivate that guy as I think Floyd could be better and more productive than both Brown and Fitz at this point in their careers.

I think our secondary is light years better than our secondary our Super Bowl year.

I think our ownership, front office, coaches and players especially Palmer and Fitz, are really hungry for a ring and hoping Dwight F. will instill this in our defense over the weeks ahead. These are the reasons I am still positive on our Cardinals this season.

(As you guys know Fitz. is my favorite Cardinal of all time and even I have to say he was so wrong for playing around with Haley during the game I can not believe he did this, but I can not ever recall him ever doing anything in a game like this before. Focus Larry focus.

Now lets go Cardinals beat the Ravens on MNF!

31. By Mandy Sierra on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

In my opinion, the biggest mistake was at the beginning…….Johnson wasnt a starter…….Ellington from the get go……….Why fix something thats not broken ? Sometimes, toooooo much of something isnt good (Good RB’s)….CJ2K is the main guy…Ellington #2……….Rookie Johnson the main man next year………..Why is this so hard to understand ?

32. By Mandy Sierra on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Did you see the Steelers rotating 3 Rb’s ? OF COURSE NOT……………

33. By T Stone on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Cards62. You are channeling someone I think. No matter how long and dumb your posts are you will not get a job here. Get to the point about the article or shut up.

34. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Staying at Greenbrier was absolutely the right decision. The only decision. Greenbrier had nothing to do with losing the game. Who in their right mind would prefer the team to fly back and forth, lose practice time and adjust to a different time zone?

35. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Georgiebird;

You missed the meaning.

I thought in that game he made some amazing throws. He back shouldered John Brown twice deep. He threaded the needle on the one Niklas caught while being held. Heck with 421 yards, he made some great throws.

I am disappointed with a few throws he has made this year. More than any other game, he missed some wide open players. His throw at the end was terrible. (and Palmer would admit that). The throws he made to end the rams game were not on target either.

But overall, we are 4-2, and he has had a great year. If you think McCown or Hoyer are better options, you have no idea what you are watching.

36. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Tucson Tim

You might have a point.
    The lack of calls was unsettling. Not sure 100% that it got to Bruce, but it had to be in the back of his mind.

37. By robert on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

we got picked apart by a third stringer.remember our production with our 3rd stringer last year? I would have blitzed the you know what out of this guy. How many reps does a third stringer even get? I mean we fell asleep and NO not all losses are the same. This was a joke and reminded me of the OLD Cardinals.

BTW, the OT’s only played OK? The LT and LG get paid 75 million,,They are not playing worth a crap..

38. By John on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Darren I gotta ask the 800lb gorilla in the room question? Did the cardinals question the referees in this game to the league? Seriously a Steeler went jet skiing on Floyds jersey in the end zone and nothing. They also called a offensive pass interference . That never gets called. To me it looked like the refs did anything they could to victimize the cardinals. The second half was a pure embarrassment. The Steelers were the better team hands down. A 3rd string Qb looked like Dan Marino out there. I for the life of me cannot understand why anyone can put Super Bowl and cardinals after this game. Sure lets chalk it up as a bad game. We’ll get this fixed. Time will tell if this was a a bump in the road or an exposure. Would be nice if we could expose some crooked refs.

39. By georgiebird on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

@JTDG
    McCown is a tough kid- not as good as Palmer but close. Palmer is the reincarnation of Jim Hart. Hart threw a great pass but had no mobility. Good defenses would tighten the screws against Hart and throw him off his game with strong, blitzing defenses. Hart finished his career with 7,000 more yards than Namath but Hart had no (or very, very few) signature wins.
    I liken Palmer very much to Hart.

40. By TucsonTim on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Steve-

You forgot Lindley. In addition to the HOF Fitz should be inducted to the sainthood for never once going crazy diva on the Cardinals. Imagine what Fitz’s stats would be if he got to play his career with a Montana and Young!

41. By Richard S on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

RANK TEAM* RATING Win margin on neutral field Homefield 3 point advantage Won by
    1 NE(5) 101.84 10.09 13.09
    28 CHICAGO(26) 83.88
    29 OAK(32) 83.34 -4.34 -7.34
    30 TENNESEE(31) 81.76 -10.2 -7.2
    31 TAMPA(29) 81.65 -3.8 -6.8
    32 JAX(30) 81 -10.14 -7.14
    Week 7 byes: Chicago, Cincy, Denver, Green Bay
    9/14 correct picks in week 6. Cards rating drops 1.2 points Week 7 picks 14 games
    After week 6, 62/91 68.13%
    Initial ESPN power rank in parenthesis after team name.

I have to take extra care now as printer went out so I have no hard copy to compare inadvertent data changes with now. Printer says to replace ink. Son whose into computers says that’s not needed and it’s a ploy by HP to rake in more cash and we’ve been ignoring the warning now for like 5 years. My son will give me his printer when he gets back from vacation to Stockholm, Berlin and Prague.

42. By dan on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

Well……at least we’re competitive.

43. By Matt g on Oct 19, 2015 | Reply

When BA made the mind boggling decision to take Butler over Zastadil, Darren was saying Butler did great last year except for the playoff game. It made me smack my head in disbelief. Suddenly Darren has nothing to say at all about Butler.

44. By Darren Urban on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Matt G —

RE: Butler

I never said that. I said Arians said that.

45. By Red Dead Redemption on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

BA: “We aren’t going to force the ball to Fitzgerald. We throw to the open guy.”

Carson Palmer: “Agreed. We need to spread the ball around.”

BA: “Unless of course it is John Brown. Force that damn ball in there Carson! If that doesn’t work? Force it again! Need to take our shots all with John Brown. Throwing the ball to Larry a future hall of famer in critical situations doesn’t make sense.”

Carson Palmer: “I agree and I would know because I have won a lot of playoff games. Just ask the Raiders and Bengals.”

46. By faster on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

cheering for the panthers? sucks

47. By Marcelof on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

a) Floyd should’ve stepped in bounds on that TD. I’ve seen worst throwns in which worst receivers did a better job;

b) Final Int. Fitz was not wide open, however it would have been a better option, single coverage in a simple route; TD would’ve come, there was no need to rush the things;

c) put the entire US army on L. Jones, force him to err, don’t give him a change to succeed, look at what he did;

d) do cards have a punter?

e) the good thing, we’re pilling up yards, which seems nice once there’s little things to be fixed. Still believe, however, the pressure is upon Cards next Monday Night, can they handle it as “well” as they did behind on the board twice this year?

48. By Tucsontim on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Question – was the offensive PI against Floyd correct or was it defensive holding or was it nothing because they were engaged close enough to the line of scrimmage? Just curious.

49. By Darren Urban on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: OPI

Honestly, I still have not seen the play. I had someone around me at the time say Floyd did indeed push off, but I haven’t had a chance to look.

50. By Scott H on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

I, too, am surprised at the shots being taken at Palmer in the last few days. OK, he made a bad throw at a critical point on Sunday and it probably cost us any chance we had of winning. But some of the comments I’m hearing……wow. Really?

Some people have clearly forgotten the days of Kevin Kolb…John Skelton….Derek Anderson…..and they weren’t that long ago, folks.

Carson Palmer is – literally – what stands between the Cardinals as a legit contender and the Cardinals as what they were for a few years after Kurt retired. And ya know what? If you’re able to see that, then….what the hell are you complaining about???

Oh, and I didn’t mention Josh McCown above, even though we were obviously a better team with him, right?

Yes, what I said about McCown was 100% sarcasm.

51. By Scott H on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

I AM mad about the loss on Sunday because of all that the Cardinals failed to do in a game that should have been there for the taking. But I will say that the Seahawks losing ( again ) does take some of the edge off. And that has its limits as well. Come later in the season, I want to feel good about the Cardinals based on how THEY are playing – not based on other teams not being as good as they were supposed to be.

This loss could yet be a game we will be kicking ourselves for later. Because ya gotta figure the Seahawks will get it together at some point. They always seem to start slow. They were 3-3 last year, clearly didn’t seem like the same team at that point. Then, the train started to roll and it rolled right over us AND the rest of the NFC. Losses like the one we had on Sunday CANNOT be repeated.

I am VERY anxious to see how this team bounces back from Sunday. Monday Night will tell us a lot. The Ravens should not stand a chance against the Cardinals at home IF the Cardinals are playing to their capability. But the Ravens are certainly good enough to take advantage of the Cardinals if they are killing themselves with penalties and turnovers.

Focus IS the key word because WITH it, the Cardinals will hang with anyone. WITHOUT it, they can be had by pretty much any team that makes fewer mistakes than they do. Sounds real simple. Harder to do on the field for 60 minutes.

52. By William Barry on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

–staying at the Greenbrier did not cause us to lose the game.
    –Carson could have thrown to Larry F. right before the Interception, rather than thread the needle.
    –we had plenty of time, so we did not need to rush anything
    –Penalties and bad, atrocious calls by the refs did not help

Home field will help this week. We are still 4-2, and I have confidence in Palmer to get us to the Super Bowl in a win!!!!!GO CARDS!!!!

53. By William Barry on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Michael Floyd held over 5 seconds, and jersey tugged the whole time in the endzone, what it wasn’t called????

We dominated the whole first half, its too bad, we lost….we could have won!!!!

54. By Jimbowan on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

To all you rats jumping ship, “F YOU!” The Cards played a lousy game, but your the reason this organization doesn’t get the credit they’re due. Quit crying! We are first in the NFC west. All you so called “Fans” of my life long team make me sick! Grow a pair.

55. By dan on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

We should have smoked the Steelers……PERIOD! Should of went after William Gay, that guy sucks wind not to mention their secondary is WEAK. Our running game lets us down, but still should have done a better job………Carson Palmer blew chunks with some easy throws.

56. By dkerry5242 on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Both of our losses came when we had a chance to make the final drive and win the game. There was plenty of time left and no need to worry. Both times we seemed to panic and try for the home runs, rather than methodically move the ball down the field mixing run and pass That’s on the Coaches and the QB. Both lost their cool and composure or we would have been undefeated now.

57. By Chuck 1 on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Did Keim say “Losing is unacceptable”?
    I didn’t think so.

Paraphrasing Wolf: “The Cards are a good team, but not an elite team” He put his finger right on the situation.

Unless Bettcher and BA get their act together, I see 9-7.

58. By DAVID T. on Oct 24, 2015 | Reply

Look; Every defensive coordinator in the NFL knows BA likes too stretch the Field with are receivers. It’s almost bet in the Cardinals first offensive series that Palmer will go “DOWN TOWN TOO BROWN”. !!! , and that’s all right; even if it doesn’t work. WAY! because being predictable is your best weapon to be Un-predictable. The tactic is simple, look, and (more importantly) : act (RUN), when you (PASS).and act (PASS) when you (RUN).. “NOTE” The QB must ( sell the play fake).!!! Pushing the ball left or right while backing up and immediately looking down field for your receivers, works about as good as a IND. COLTS gadget play. it fools no one.!!!!!
    My point is this RUN! RUN! RUN! RUN! the ball On (1st down and 3rd and short) or 1st and 2nd but RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN the ball. until they truly believe your QB AND all his Backup’s must have broken arms. THEN BE UN PREDICTABLE!!!!