Chunk plays for every pass catcher

Posted by Darren Urban on October 20, 2015 – 11:26 am

So looking over some statistics this morning while mining for information, I started looking at the receiving numbers for the Cardinals through six games. It’s amazing that both Larry Fitzgerald and John Brown are now on pace for more than 1,300 yards each. But that wasn’t the main thing that caught my eye.

Again, we’ve only played six games and this likely will change. But the Cardinals have had 10 players catch passes so far this season — and every single one of them is averaging at least 10 yards per reception (actually, at least 10.2, technically.) That’s crazy. There is no running back with a couple of dump-offs and that’s all. All the tight ends are gaining double-digits. For all the talk about Fitzgerald in the slot, not only is he putting up catches but he’s averaging 13.6 yards a catch, which is on par for the averages he used to have in his routes-outside-the-numbers days.

Here’s the full list:

• Larry Fitzgerald 43-583-13.6
  • John Brown 33-497-15.1
  • Michael Floyd 13-154-11.8
  • David Johnson 10-145-14.5
  • Darren Fells 9-146-16.2
  • Chris Johnson 5-56-11.2
  • Jermaine Gresham 5-51-10.2
  • Jaron Brown 4-48-12.0
  • Andre Ellington 3-54-18.0
  • Troy Niklas 1-13-13.0

It says something about the yards the Cardinals have been able to generate through the air. It should’ve been more too, after some misses Sunday. (I finally watched a couple of replays; I can see why Bruce Arians was upset after an offensive pass interference flag thrown on Floyd negated a 14-yard TD pass. And the play before John Brown was wide-open for a 14-yard TD pass and Carson Palmer just missed him.)

Floyd10yardsLOG

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Chunk plays for every pass catcher”

1. By shane on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

just shows this teams potential i believe they will bonce back .

2. By jaime on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

4-2 sitting at 2 games up in the west, all our numbers are top 5 some top 10, I see no problems only up-side. Saying it right here cards are going to be unstoppable rest of the season. I dont think their first loss got thru to them but i’m sure this one (the second loss) did it!!! GOOOOOOOOO BIG RED!!!

3. By TucsonTim on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Is there a web site to track NFL fines? I was wondering if Harrison is going to be fined for that hit on John Brown which knocked his helmet off…and led to the fumble.

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Tucson Tim —

RE: Fines

I will check. We hear on Fridays.

5. By Ryan on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

I seem to remember a rule that if the ball carrier has his helmet knocked off the play is instantly dead. Is that not the case? I have to say it looked really dangerous to me seeing guying diving on John Brown without his helmet on, made me nervous for him.

6. By Darren Urban on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Ryan —

RE: Helmet off

I believe that only applies to the ballcarrier. By the time his helmet came off, he no longer had the ball.

7. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

I can’t get out of my mind Cards running from the 2 yard line, several times to get OUT to 30 or so, then abandonning the run… Heard coach talk about 2nd and 20s after 3 penalties, point taken, but still… we had plenty of chances to run and beef up play action. CP off target on several receivers, or didn’t see, b/c too much prerssure. Steelers did not honor run risk.

8. By mal on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

These 2 losses in games we should have won could likely mean we have to play at Lambeau in January. Good luck with that.

These games always come back to bite you in the ass come playoff time.

9. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Lol, Chuck Pagaon “I dont regret play call” on fake punt flag football formation. Lol. Thank God we got BA and not him.

10. By Corgon on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Re: Helmet off

Shouldn’t be that hit a flag? It really looked like a hit to the head. I’m just not sure about the rule,which is about the head and neck area.
    Thanks.

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Corgon —

RE: Penalty

He was a runner at that point, and runners do not have the same protection as receivers/QBs.

12. By JosEPh on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Back to the hit on Smokey, didn’t think it mattered if you are runner, WR,QB, or lineman, a forearm to the throat/jaw area is still an illegal hit unless they just changed the rules. Did they?

13. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

JosEPH —

RE: Hit

I’ll have to check.

14. By Lee W. Flanagan on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

I’d hate to see what total yards Smoke would have if he caught all those balls that he should have caught or if he wouldn’t fall down every time he catches a long pass.

15. By Scott H on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

mal –

Well, look, the Cardinals have a lot of their own business to take care of before they / we have to worry about where they will be playing in January. For that matter, so do the Packers. They’re not invincible. They could lose Rodgers for a few games at some point. That has happened in each of the last few seasons, hasn’t it? And look at how THEY imploded in January last year. Granted, it was in Seattle.

Can’t worry about January right now. Gotta take care of October so January will, hopefully, have meaning.

But I hear ya. It’s never too early in any season to lose a game that could cost you later on.

Nothing matters right now but the Ravens. Got to play good enough for 60 minutes against the Ravens to get to 5-2.

Um….anyone rooting for the 49ers on Thurs?? WHERE is that game?

16. By georgiebird on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

the productivity for any team will drop as the quality of the opposition gets better. The drop off in the Cards’ productivity scares me.

17. By Steve on Oct 20, 2015 | Reply

Darren: After Cards losses do you ever feel like a part time psychologist trying to reason with and calm the angry masses of fans (like me) who often deluge your blog bitching and moaning, demanding answers after a tough loss?!! Seriously, thanks for your patience with us.

18. By Joseph Ratti on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

After watching the low-lights of the Steeler game,I cant figure out how a seasoned veteran like C.Palmer makes that throw which sealed the loss.A little over 2 minutes left in game (all the time in world) a well covered John B.(only receiver in end-zone I could see) to force that throw in there is inexcusable,and just plain stupid and Carson continues to do this stuff on a pretty regular basis.Take our time in that spot,remove time off so they have less if we score and get the ball in the end -zone.Im sure BA is the one who called the play,but he is not the one who threw the pass.

19. By Scott H on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

Answering my own question, I see the Thurs night game is in San Fran. Can only help. San Fran showed some signs of life last week and would probably love to keep the momentum going. Seattle isn’t playing well ANYWHERE right now but they are far more mortal on the road.

An up-set SEEMS like too much to hope for but since hope doesn’t cost anything, I’m investing plenty of it in this one! I want Seattle as far behind us as possible. Ultimately, I want to achieve that by the Cardinals winning their games. But we don’t play tomorrow night, Seattle does. So, I’ll gladly take another Seattle loss.

Looking at the way Seattle is struggling on one coast and Atlanta is playing as well as they are on the other, you wonder if the loss of Quinn is what is really affecting the Seahawks right now. They are playing with the same guys on defense and they seem healthy. But they bare little resemblance to the Seahawks we have come to know.

20. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

Scott H…..agree that Seattle seems to be missing Dan Quinn and I think the Niners can win at home tomorrow. But I don’t think the Falcons (5-1) are as good as their record indicates. They could easily be 3-3.

21. By coach K on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

Have you noticed that Carson gets tight in close ball games and makes more bad throws because of it?

Last week as the pressure mounted after missing on previous Red Zone scoring opportunities, I noticed Carson looked tight and his throws were off target.

22. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: Close games

He was fine in close games last year. And the Saints game was close too.

Also, in Pittsburgh, I thought his throws were a little off all game, not just at the end.

23. By Scott H on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

Johnny –

I agree with you about Atlanta. I was not as sold on them as many in the media were. I’m also not entirely convinced about Carolina, either, to be honest. I mean, when you look at the Panthers, who do they really have that they are winning these games with??? They have no WR’s of note, with Benjamin out. None of their RB’s is doing anything. So…they have Cam Newton ( who is nothing exceptional, IMHO ) and a STUD TE in Olsen. And their D is solid. But, when ya put all that on the scale….I just don’t get it! But 5-0 is 5-0.

Carolina has had it pretty easy. They have beaten 4 below average teams but the the win IN SEATTLE was pretty impressive.

Falcons, same thing. They have yet to play anyone worth a damn. And they were pretty flat against the Saints.

Bottom line, it’s hard to know who anyone really is yet. The Pats and Packers have looked pretty for real. Especially the Pats. The Packers are 6-0 but got there against 3 good teams and 3 bad teams. Still….they won them all.

Outside the Pats and Packers, everyone else has shown flaws.

24. By grabling on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

Darren, do you know something about D. Washington case?

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2015 | Reply

Grabling —

RE: DWash

He’s still suspended.

26. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

Scott H….you are right about GB and NE. When you have the top two quarterbacks in the world on your teams you are going to win a lot of games. I know it’s early and ridiculous to even think about this but could we have two teams this year who end the regular season with records of 16-0?

27. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 21, 2015 | Reply

Re: Palmer’s bad throw:

Come on people, the announcers said it, and Palmer confirmed it in interviews later. He just didn’t see the safety was there. Brown actually had the guy beat by a step and so based on the information Palmer was processing, it was a smart throw to make.

This is not a matter of Palmer making a decision to “force” the ball. Based on what he saw, Brown was open. Now, that doesn’t excuse him for not realizing the safety was there for an easy pick, but let’s call it for what it is — a failure to read the defense — and not what it wasn’t, a forced throw. Palmer doesn’t try to make that throw if he sees the safety.

28. By cardsbaby on Oct 22, 2015 | Reply

What is going on with Troy Niklas? He seemed to have so much potential coming out of college, but he hasn’t done a damn thing since we drafted him. Is he just so injury prone he can’t get on the field?

29. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2015 | Reply

cardsbaby —

RE: Niklas

He’s been playing. He is the third tight end at the moment, however. With Fells injury, he’ll play more the next couple of weeks.

Working on a story about Niklas today in fact.

30. By Jason Wolfe on Oct 22, 2015 | Reply

MusT have been the trying to sleep w/the lites on all week @ the Greenbriar…when i heard that,i knew it would have an effect on cognition & reaction…

31. By Eazy E on Oct 23, 2015 | Reply

Explosiveness… Bird Coop!

32. By Paul Russo AZ#85fan on Oct 24, 2015 | Reply

Darren

How is Fells doing in rehab? I’m a bit concerned with him out for a few games
    He left the game last week and protection went to hell. Shows how important Fells is in blocking and receivng

33. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2015 | Reply

Paul —

RE: Fells

I don’t expect him to play this week.