Ravens Monday night aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 26, 2015 – 11:42 pm

Tony Jefferson likes his Twitter. And so it wasn’t a surprise to see him sitting in his locker after the game Monday, sweat and eye black still on his face, scrolling through his phone following his game-clinching interception.

“Got to go straight to the Twitter, man,” Jefferson said.

The safety reveled in the fact he was trending, which is par for the course after getting a pick like he did on nationally televised “Monday Night Football.”

“That’s the worst part, sometimes you get on Twitter and they bash you,” Jefferson said (with Patrick Peterson chiming in with a “Yeah they do.”) “But now, they can’t really bash me. I got the game-winning (pick).”

There would be no bashing Monday. Or at least, only a little. You can wonder about the decision to throw the ball late by the Cardinals, a play that provided the Ravens an extra 40 seconds or so. (Bruce Arians said he just wanted to put the game away.) And the mistake that led to the blocked punt, which was the only reason there was a close game in the first place. Then again, people were wondering if the Cardinals would win a close game, and now they have. More importantly, they won a game they were supposed to win, so they stay in front in the division.

“Everyone is going home feeling good,” wide receiver Smokey Brown said.

— Speaking of Smoke, he made an emergency call to his trainer from Miami to come out and help rehab his bad right hamstring this weekend. That, and the work of head athletic trainer Tom Reed and his staff, is what Brown credited for his being able to play against the Ravens.

“I was kind of in doubt,” Brown said. “(Sunday) I was hurting. My trainer came out and did a little work on me … and Tom and his guys did a great job. I actually went out there feeling pretty good. Not 100 percent, but I made it through to help my brothers out.”

You wouldn’t have noticed by watching Brown. He looked fine, he caught four passes for 65 yards and a touchdown, and he looked fast as ever doing it.

— I think it’s fair that Ravens coach John Harbaugh was upset about the Chris Johnson 62-yard run after it looked like he was down. Johnson never touched the ground and the whistle didn’t blow, so he had the right to keep going. But I also understand Harbaugh’s point that had one of his players gone in to finish Johnson off, they likely would have been flagged for a personal foul.

— Again, though: Chris Johnson, quite the free-agent signing. He’s second in the NFL in rushing.

— Speaking of those one-year blue-light specials, tight end Jermaine Gresham had a solid day as receiver with Darren Fells out. And Dwight Freeney had his first sack and a couple of pressures.

— It was a weird red-zone day for the Cardinals. In the end, they scored TDs on two of their four trips, and 50 percent in the red zone usually will win you games. But the two fails finished inside the 5 and you need to finish those off. You don’t want any 21-yard field goals, much less two in one game.

— The hamstring injury to cornerback Jerraud Powers could be a blow, depending on the situation. The bye coming after this coming weekend’s game in Cleveland will be well placed. If Powers has to miss a game, Justin Bethel will have to start opposite Patrick Peterson and the third cornerback (who isn’t used much thanks to safety Tyrann Mathieu) would be undrafted rookie Cariel Brooks. It’s a situation to watch.

— Mathieu, by the way, lit it up on national TV. Seven tackles, three for loss, and a sack when blitzing Joe Flacco. “I’ve been begging for that all year,” Mathieu said.

— Now come the Browns. McCown? Manziel? Either way, the Cardinals walk right back into a need-to-win situation.

Tony Jefferson, Crockett Gillmore

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Ravens Monday night aftermath”

1. By dan on Oct 26, 2015 | Reply

Redzone running is horrible, maybe Ellington or David Johnson are better than CJ…………I’m done with Butler, he sucks and he takes too long to get rid of the ball and the Catman needs to learn how to kick extra points, I know they are a little hard but hey, maybe its time to look for at least a new Punter.

2. By Amir on Oct 26, 2015 | Reply

Relieved that we won. Those last few minutes were bad from my heart.

The defense gave up too many big passing plays with their suspect receivers.

Offense struggled again tonight in the red zone. How many times will be kill the drives by going for chunk play on a 3rd and short??? I believe today was 4th or 5th time if I remember correctly. Pick up the first down with a high percentage play.

Finally, special teams were bad today. Butler is absolutely pathetic and MUST BE replaced. On his blocked punt, he took forever and had it blocked. I said it before and he did almost cost us the game today. Catman has regressed. Aleready to extra points missed. I would have gone for it on 4th down or punted instead of a 55 yarder as I do not trust him making that distance.

3. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Everyone —

RE: Punt block

Everybody who wants to make a change at punter, you have a fair argument.

But go back at look at the punt block. That had zero to do with the punter. The guy came untouched up the middle. Butler had no chance.

4. By Steve on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Great win and a nice job of play calling by Arians mixing the run and pass, loved the final scoring drive as Palmers quick throws neutralized the Ravens blitzing. The only minor negative is Catanzaro’s missed extra point which made it a two score game instead of three and would have made things easier, Chandler seems like he has missed a few of those this season and that’s got to stop.

5. By Marcelof on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Due to clock difference, game here went on up to 2 in the morning, I had to be awaken this late to witness this exciting win – that should not have been exciting.

Nice run by Ellington but.. stay inbounds kid.

Butler had averaged 50 + yards (correct me if I blew it) per kick before the blocked punt, which is not bad considering it’s him. Either way, new punter would be welcome imo.

It’s so beautiful to see the cards have too many weapons on the field and never knonw what’s coming out, can you imagine how scarry and tired may the defenses be?

There’re things – many of – to be addressed yet, but Cards have a shot, they’re a contender, for sure they are. Correct the mistakes and soon we will be treatening Green Bay as the NFC’s most terrifying team.

6. By LadyBird04 on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Great finish. Good game played by the majority. Our kickers on the other hand. Cat missed a very long field goal and again missed the point after which could have cost us the win. Butler is just bad. Is that his 3rd or 4th blocked punt in less than two years? He seemingly takes forever to get the ball off his foot. I’m almost at the point of holding my breath every time he trots out to punt. It’s not like he has a great leg either. Please!! I miss Zasti.

7. By Lee W. Flanagan on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

I tell you what. Cardinals have one heck of a team. It’s time for that punter to be cut. It’s been two years now with him. I find myself scratching my head why BA can’t find a better punter. He was so oblivious on what was going on when his punt was blocked. Start looking SK…I know you can do it.

8. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

After watching Eli Manning give Tony Romo an extra 40 seconds by throwing a ball out of the end zone for no reason, and losing a game because of it, I was worried that we had done the same thing.

I understand wanting to “put the game away,” but what are the odds that the Ravens are going to drive the length of the field in 1:05 or so with no timeouts, which is what they would’ve had if we kept the clock moving and punted. But with nearly two minutes, they were able to throw passes in the middle of the field — which is exactly what they did. Take away an extra 40 seconds, and that last drive changes completely.

Yes, go for the first down, but no reason to do it in the manner we did. I mean, why does Palmer even throw the ball there? He was throwing to nobody. Even without the penalty, it was a bad decision — getting sacked and losing a few yards is not as bad as stopping the clock on an incomplete pass.

Glad we won, and glad we got a few breaks to go our way (the Johnson run on a play where it looked like it was over, the fumble recovery on the punt return where the ball was stripped as the returner was being tackled — that play probably would’ve withstood a challenge either way so the fact that it was called a fumble on the field was huge for us). I was surprised Gruden and Gerry Austin both didn’t like the PI call on a pass to Fitz as it looked to me exactly like it was called on the field — the player hooked Fitz with his right arm. And of course there was the flag on the play where the Ravens’ tackle supposedly didn’t report when you could see right on the replay he was doing exactly that. That was huge — turned a nice gain into 1st and 15, and we held them to a FG. In any case, after getting the short end of the calls vs. Pitt, it was nice to see things go our way.

Of course, the Ravens got a huge break at the end when they got called for an illegal formation on the play they ran with 18 seconds left… we tackled the guy on the 2 or 3 with 13 seconds. Clock would’ve kept running and by the time the Ravens would’ve gotten set, they might have only had time for one more play. Instead the penalty stopped the clock. Moved them back 5 yards but at that point, the seconds were worth more than the yards.

9. By Big Ken on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

So I guess we’re keeping Barkley?

10. By Steve W. on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Whew, I’m not gonna say that was pretty, but it WAS a win. Sloppy sequence at the end, but decent play throughout and a LOT of gems – especially on defense and in the run game. And yeah, a few nifty passes as well.

I know folks seem to enjoy ragging Drew Butler, and even the commentators mentioned how he’s at the bottom of the barrel of the NFL in stats.

But Darren, I’ve got a question about Butler’s stats. Does the success of the Cards in moving the ball upfield have a big influence on those stats? I mean, he makes mistakes sure, but is he has bad as his stats indicate? I seem to recall the ‘old’ cards had really good punt stats. But that’s because that’s all we friggin’ did when we failed to move the ball and had a ton of 3 and outs and/or the inability to even get to the midstripe. Just seems to me that when your punter is trying to pin the ball between the 20 and the goal line, and you’re kicking on a short field, and how often do the Cards punt, anyway? I mean, I think that’s gonna skew your punter’s stats to make it look like he’s just awful. When really, that stat line is exactly what you want your team to have because it mean’s they’ve got a damn successful offense. Or maybe I’m wrong on all counts…

11. By joe Holst on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

The Cards played strong, the Johnson run was legit, Darren do you think they start to look at kickers?

12. By BuckeyeChris on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

You can play to put the game away without losing all concept of situational awareness. A sack is better than grounding. A holding penalty is better than grounding. The three games this year that have gotten tight at the end, Carson has sailed passes, thrown a bad pick, and taken a dumb penalty/stopped the clock. He’s the best QB we’ve had in a while but needs to be better in crunch time.

13. By Chuck 1 on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

I wrote quite a while ago that the over/under for blocked punts by Butler would be three or four. He’s finally on his way to matching that number.
    I would be very surprised if the Cards don’t have a different punter next season.
    Interesting that Gruden didn’t notice and comment on the “twist” that the Ravens ran to block the punt. He did comment on how slow Butler is @ getting the ball out.
    And, the game isn’t in doubt if the Cat man doesn’t miss a field goal (Darren didn’t mention that) and an extra point. What’s going on with that?

14. By triing4wishes on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Did Mathieu also get a PD credit for that breakup around the 5 yard line that Gruden kept blaming on Flacco even though it was headed right to the receivers hands until Mathieu caught up and got his hand there first?

15. By Scott H on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Not a win I am real happy about, but….if ya gotta be involved in one of these games, ya might as well get the win at the end. It goes in the win column, we’re 5-2, and we move on. But….

Geez, did anyone else have visions of BA kicking the podium after the game, saying “The Ravens are who we thought they were and we let ’em off the hook.”??? I sure did. Because that game NEVER felt secure and in that 4th quarter, the Cardinals sure tried to do everything they could to give that game away. And they damn near did. Very frustrating. The missed extra point….the blocked punt….the penalty on the play right before…..the intentional grounding call….the failure of the offense ( AGAIN ) to just put the game away either by just keeping the ball or putting a FG on the board to nail it down. I forget which drive it was but on the play where Ellington picked up that first down, WHY THE HELL DID HE RUN OUT OF BOUNDS??? Stay IN bounds and keep the damn clock moving! Another little thing that almost contributed to us giving the damn game away.

I swear, if we had made the score 27-10, I could have rested easy. But no. We can’t have that. When that kick hit the up-right and it remained a two-score game, a total feeling of dread came over me because I KNEW we were gonna find a way to blow it. And, right on cue, the un-raveling started. EVERY DAMN THING THAT followed was leading us toward a Raven’s come-back. It was the Monday Night game against the Bears all over again. Our offense couldn’t put it away and our defense couldn’t stop the Ravens from moving right down the field for the tying score. And let me ask – IF the Ravens had scored the TD to make it 26-24, does anyone believe there was any way they weren’t gonna convert the 2-pointer to tie it up? I swear, I saw it as inevitable.

Then, the poor throw by Flacco and the INT and….mercifully, nightmare was over. There was not so much relief as there was frustration that it came down to that. Anyone else??

I don’t think the Ravens are a bad team, certainly not as bad as their record. But the Cardinals ARE a better team. And they played down to the Ravens’ level and almost GAVE AWAY a game they should have had no business losing. THAT bothers me. The last month has included two losses to good / solid teams ( one of which started the game with a back-up QB and was reduced to their 3rd string QB during the game ), a game in which we beat up on a hapless opponent who couldn’t do anything right, and a win against a 1-5 team in which we were holding on for dear life at the end and were lucky to escape. Not a whole lot to feel good about through that stretch. And THAT bothers me.

BTW, I have so had it with Drew Butler. He inspires NO confidence at all. NONE. Teams have to know by now they can absolutely get to him to block his kicks. I think he sucks. And I absolutely believe he is going to cost us another game at some point. Cannot believe we can’t do better than him at punter.

16. By Cardinals Chick on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

I panicked more than once during the game….I will take the win, but they absolutely need to play better football. Is it me, or did Peterson seem to have a hard time covering Steve Smith??? I love seeing Chris Johnson shine…especially since so many people were writing him off during preseason. Campbell is straight up a force to be reckoned with…and Palmer is playing gritty, patient football. But if they want to continue winning, especially in the division (Seahawks…and Rams have the potential to be very disruptive) they need to start making some extra plays that result in touchdowns. Browns up next, then a much needed bye… before facing some very strong teams (Bengals, Packers…Rams & Seahawks too I guess)…whew! Go Cardinals!!!

17. By 'ZonaFan89 on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Glad we held on for this win, even though Special Teams (or “Special Ed” Teams?) tried to lose it for us… Freaking Drew Butler stood there for like 10 seconds on that blocked punt. What the heck was he waiting for? Did he need to give the ball a special rub down before kicking it away? In the one situation where even Butler’s usual 25 yard shank punt would’ve worked, we end up getting it blocked, go figure… And what’s with Catanzaro trying to one-up the punt teams crap-show by missing a FG and PAT? Though granted that was a long FG try. Still, there’s going to come times when we need those 50 yarders to be made.

18. By Rick on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Someone needs to call out Bruce Arians for poor time management. In his efforts to “put it away” he almost cost the team the game. 2nd and 10 with 2:37 left should have been a run which takes the clock to 2:00. Lose a couple of yards or not it brings up 3rd down and you run again, let the play clock run down to 1 sec and you punt with at best 1:20 left in the game. To call a pass play was IDIOTIC!!! I am a HUGE BA fan but he needs to be called out for this kind of stuff. Absolutely the WRONG thing to do.

If the Ravens would have come back it would have been a coaching loss NOT on the kicker.

19. By Marlin on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Sure sign that we have a good team…… we win and everybody is still complaining … about what needs to be fixed. Feels like we know we have a good playoff team in town!

20. By joe67 on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

I don’t totally disagree about punter, but old rule of thumb is, if a rusher from end gets block it considered the punters fault for taking too long. If the block comes up the middle its a blocking assignment issue. This block came up the middle. I saw it coming before the ball was snapped. I wish our blockers would have.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought he had a pretty decent nite except for the block. Is there anyone out there right now that would be a big improvement? I have no idea, I’m just asking.

21. By joe Holst on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Everyone keeps looking for perfection and 0 mistakes for the game that s not going to happen, Ya they missed a 55 yard FG that is not a gimme, and an extra point, they are not automatic anymore .. The blocked Punt is a huge issue in my book and I have never been a fan of drew Butler. The bottom line is this team was beating up a good Raven team and Joe fFacco is never out of a game, sorry the guy is one of the best. They won the game and did what was needed to win. Every game is going to be 40-7 mistake free so chill peeps.

22. By clssylssy on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

OMG…that was BARELY a win, and, all things considered, the Ravens outplayed us tough and strong (I would expect nothing less) nearly beating us, with far less manpower. Steve Smith is classic Ravens toughness (unslowed by broken bones in his back!) and looked to have the best of Patrick Peterson most of the night and Joe Flacco is still unflappable despite having few of his supporting players and a turnstyle of OCs over the past few years since the SB. Why is it the Cards can’t find good kickers and they are all in the AFC?
    Chris Johnson and our secondary saved us from being humiliated on the national stage, and while our offense was more balanced, it is still SOOOO predictable. Our defense can be fun to watch because of our amazing secondary but we are still allowing QBs way to much time to find targets and get off those throws that could be the game once again to our dismay. It was so nice to see us finally get a few sacks, however, we still look like we are feeling our way in the dark!
    For a 1-5 team, clearly, they weren’t who we thought they were which should be a lesson (although I’m sure it was missed just like the FG and PAT attempts!)
    The Browns are going to be another physical team from that same division and I hope we’re up to the challenge a little better!

23. By JohnnyBluenose on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

BuckeyeChris, ScottH, Rick and others who have questions and/or concerns about our play calling and clock management…I totally agree with all of you. If Flacco does not over-throw that last pass then we are headed for overtime with no momentum. We are very fortunate that CJ2K had the smarts to keep running after the referees somehow did not blow the whistle after his forward progress was clearly stopped. This game could easily have gone the other way. We need to play better. The Ravens converted way too many third downs and made it look easy. And, where is our punt return game? And our o-line that was supposed to be so much better. I’m not convinced. Troy Niklas is invisible except when he is getting knocked backwards when he tries to block. I thought we looked pretty ordinary out there last night except for Campbell, Mathieu, Floyd, Brown, CJK2 and Larry who is a complete player, catching and blocking. Nice sack by Freeney. He should help us in passing situations. Keep going but get better and smarter.

24. By Richard L on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Call it nepotism or blind loyalty but Butler is here as our punter because his father was a Punter for the Cardinals. All the wrong reasons.

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Richard L —

RE: Butler

Uh, yeah. No.

26. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy —

I understand some criticism of the cards, but … the Ravens “outplayed” us? We had 414 yards to their 276. They were only in the game at the end because of a blocked punt (a fluky play).

Our offense is predictable? You mean the same offense that people are complaining about here for NOT doing the obvious (running the ball with 2:35)? There are legit criticisms — e.g., going for chunk plays when all we need is a yard or two. Being predictable ain’t one of them.

27. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Favorite play of the night was the pass from Palmer to Brown where Palmer just threw it to where Brown was supposed to go. Brown hadn’t looked back yet, nor had he even broken for the spot where the ball was going. Talk about throwing to a spot… that was beautiful.

How many people remember all the INT’s in Palmer’s first 6 or 7 games, and how Arians was saying many of them were not his fault? That’s because he was throwing to a spot. It’s the receiver’s job to be there. If not, then you have an incompletion at best, or, if there happens to be a defender there instead, an INT.

28. By clssylssy on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Kevin…
    What I meant is that the Ravens did a better job with far less talent and nearly beat us, having far too many gains for big yards and hard hits (classic Ravens) that we have been able to get by with against teams like the Lions. Which, is exactly what I said…they nearly beat us will far less man power! When I can sit and predict the play, that “Palmers going to throw it down field to Brown”, I’m sure the professionals have picked up on that too,lol–was thrilled to see him hand off to Chris and mix it up a bit with Floyd and Fitz. And what about those huge gaping holes that Forsett seemed to find so effortlessly? With our talent we should have done better! Yards don’t mean jack when it comes down to the last few minutes of the game and we have allowed them to put us in the position of having to be saved by an interception! We have some really good teams ahead and we simply have to play tougher as most of these teams are better than 1-5 (records also are deceiving!)

29. By TucsonTim on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

There was a lot to be happy about last night’s game. New faces stepping up on offense. BA doesn’t get pass happy and we establish a solid running game. The defensive adjustment at half time was spot on. Everything was flying high until the missed extra point…

Then our football IQ went to zero. False start on a punt, CJ2K allows a Raven to run unblocked right up the middle for a blocked punt, BA can’t tell time, CP throws a ball OOB to stop the clock, Ellington runs OOB to stop the clock, Peterson fair catches a kick off on the 15 with not a Raven in sight…

How many long time Cardinals fans felt that sickening feeling that we are going to out play this team and on the national stage of MMF we are going to beat ourselves again…. WOW

Thank God Flacko saw Golden coming in for a kill shot and even Flacko makes mistakes, although it didn’t look like that TE made much of an effort. Earlier in the game CP threw one out of the back of the end zone and I was thinking why didn’t CP at least give Gresham a shot at it instead of just throwing it away…well I guess that’s why.

LOTs of positives, but we still had that 2 minute lull BA spoke of and it almost cost us. Now let’s go crush Cleveland.

30. By Scott H on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Looking ahead….I gotta say, the last 2 weeks have made it hard to feel confident that we are going to go into Cleveland and win simply because we are the better team. Hasn’t been that simple, has it?

First, the Browns are the worst team in the league against the run right now. THE WORST. They have apparently allowed 100 yards to an opposing RB in every game so far this year. Do we need a slide rule to figure this one out??? I say we dial up a huge dose of the running game and stay with it from start to finish. We give all three RB’s some work in this one. Should be a good opportunity for DJ to stretch his legs. I say we ride CJ until he gets over 130 or so, then we turn Ellington and DJ loose from there.

But back to my on-going concern….if we face McCown, we face a veteran QB who is still playing pretty damn well AND who has weapons at his disposal. He puts up some pretty big numbers consistently.

If we face Manziel…..my lord, can you imagine getting beaten by HIM??? It can’t happen, you say? Well, didn’t we just get smoked by a 3rd string QB no one ever heard of two weeks ago??? Yes, we did. Anyone want to be foolish enough to think it can’t happen in Cleveland? Not me. Not the way the last 2 games have played out.

The thing is, this is yet another game the Cardinals should have NO BUSINESS losing. It shouldn’t even be close. But it will be if we play down to them and leave the door open like we did last night and like we did against the Steelers 2 weeks ago. It is a perfect opportunity for this team to shake off the last 2 weeks and fix some things. It is ALSO an opportunity for them to let another one get away if they haven’t fixed anything.

Damn, these AFC North teams are a pesky bunch, huh? As much as we are finding that you can’t take anyone for granted, I find myself wishing we had Green Bay or Carolina next week so we could see if THAT level of competition would bring out the best in this Cardinals team.

But for now, I think we better give the Browns our full, un-divided attention.

31. By peter in canada on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

We are a much better team than the Ravens and for most of the game it showed. The loss of focus we displayed last night and against the Steelers (another less talented team) is disconcerting. All in all though, it is a problem that can be addressed. It is much better than being a team with less talent which is much harder to fix.

32. By Richard S on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

When I was watching the game and the defense gave up a couple of 8 or 9 yard runs on first down, I was thinking the Cards run defense was overrated, but today I looked at the stats and they actually did a pretty good job overall for the game and what can you say when the broadcasters say its the 4th best defense in the league?

33. By Richard S on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

One more thing in the Bay Area I’ve heard McCown referred to with a rhyming term. He’s really a pretty good Quarterback. I can’t forget the pass that kept Minnesota at home to end the game years ago when he wore a Cardinal uniform. Don’t think he’s not a threat to keep the Cardinals out of the playoffs. I can’t remember the receiver’s name who caught the ball though.

34. By biggest Cards Fan Eva on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

I can’t believe we are getting so lucky winning these games with a fragile QB, a washed up running back, no pass rush, an awful offensive line, an overrated corner like PP, a safety playing linebacker and an old timer head coach. Once the quarterbacks knee fails again, I think everything will get better when Barkley takes the snaps. Getting outplayed by all these teams will probably continue but at least we have somewhere to go and pretend like we know better and act like we know what we are talking about when it comes down to what’s going on in real time on the field. I don’t know about you guys, but I think it’s about time Darren starts to relay our messages to management.

In conclusion: Maybe my Cards will sign Mallet and start to think about the future because this season is basically over as we know it.

Sincerely,
    Biggest Cards Fan Evaaaaaaaaa

35. By Lee W. Flanagan on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Steve W., I kinda understand where your coming from with regards to Butler’s stats. I have been looking at how far he can punt. Lots of times he barely gets a 50 yard punt or barely a 35-40 yard net. Not good when punting from around the end zone. He can boot it 60 but not consistently. Look at the rest of the punters in the NFL WEST.

36. By Lee W. Flanagan on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

Also,Steve W., Butler’s longest punt has been 55 yards. Only 2 punters have less yards per punt at 54. Most punters in the league have longs in the mid 60’s. I stand corrected. He doesn’t have a 60 yard long. I’m not harping on Butler just who chose him.

37. By William Barry on Oct 27, 2015 | Reply

For the most part, the Cards controlled the game through 3 quarters. When the punt was blocked, it was the line, not the punters fault. Good teams win games at the end, and we did with the Jefferson int.

Lets lay it on Cleveland!!!!! Go cards. Good running and Floyd, Smokey, Fitz, Gresham, were good at catching the ball.

38. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 28, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy —

OK, thanks for the explanation. But if our offense was so “predictable,” we wouldn’t be #2 in PPG and #4 in total offense. So even if you think you can predict the Cards’ next play, defensive coordinators cannot.

Scott H —

Re: the Browns and “it shouldn’t be close” — remember, any NFL game on the road is a tough game. Don’t get spoiled by our blowout victories earlier in the year and expect that to be the norm. Vegas has us as a 4 1/2 point favorite the last time I looked — and that sounds about right to me.

39. By Eazy E on Nov 1, 2015 | Reply

Whew! Cardinals should have had a smoother ride, but a win is a win right?

QB:

Carson has yet another great game and is entrenched in the MVP race, but the way Brady and Cam is playing, is probably 3rd at best. 20-29 for 275 yards 2 TDs and NO INTs!

RB:

Chris is continuing his stellar season rushing for 18 carries and 122 yards and a CJ2K type of TD run and a heady, ironically the opposite number of his TD run of 26 yards with a 62 yard scamper almost getting another TD. Ellington added 5 carries for 21 yards.

WR/TE:

Larry had a ”down” game with 3 catches for 39 yards, but John Brown had a nice game with 4 catches for 65 yards and a TD. Gresham had a game with 4 catches for 62 yards. Floyd also had 3 catches, but for 59 yards and a TD. Spreading that ball like a pass first point guard!

OL:

Another solid job by the O-Line only allowing 2 sacks and helping block for 150 rushing yards!

DL:

Our D-Line revved up the pressure pretty good with Rucker collecting a sack and a couple tackles, Freeney having the same stat line and getting his first sack as a Cardinal. Calais had 5 tackles and had an overall dominant game despite no sack(s).

LB:

Freeney being a DE/OLB gets some notoriety here and definitely Minter with his 6 tackles. Deone had 9 tackles.

DB:

Steve Smith Sr. made some plays against Pat, but so did Pat. Powers had 3 tackles and Bethel with 1, but what about those safeties! Rashad with 7 tackles, the Honey Badger with 7 tackles, sack, 3 TFLs, and a pass deflection! Last, but not least, Tony Jefferson had 5 tackles and a game-sealing pick, that was just clutch and what he called his ”LeBron Moment”! He got beat on that lob or jump ball the first time, but not on the second try. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!

ST:

Chandler was 2-3 missing the 55 yarder, but I always love the aggressiveness of Bruce because Chandler can make that. Now, he needs to definitely make that dang extra point because that could’ve come back to bite us in the butt. Drew Butler I agree with most on the blog that it seems like every punt is shaky or a potential mishap! He gotta be smoother in general and Jon Gruden got on him because on the block, he said he has to punt it quicker and stop kind of waiting to punt!

Back in the Win column though…

2. Oct 27, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Keim: Extension meetings with agents upcoming