Motivating Calais

Posted by Darren Urban on November 3, 2015 – 10:12 am

Bruce Arians was asked about the play of defensive tackle Calais Campbell Monday, and Arians was (as he is wont to do) blunt on the subject.

“He needs to be dominating the game,” Arians said. “He got very close, but he loses his technique sometimes and doesn’t use his hands. He should have had a four-sack day (in Cleveland). His stats were minimal. Frostee (Rucker) had a great day.”

It was interesting to see later in the day profootballfocus.com, in their highlighted analysis of the Cardinals-Browns game, praise Campbell as the best player on the Cards’ defense Sunday.

“Calais Campbell again led the way for the defense at +3.3 (as a grade), including four QB hurries and three defensive stops” was the chatter line.

This isn’t new for Campbell. The coaches have pushed him constantly, and truth be told, Campbell in turn has been pushing himself. He had a great game in the loss to the Rams, and he wasn’t necessarily happy. I asked him then if there was a game after which he was satisfied and he said no. “I guess if there was a game where I was like, I made every play I could, I mean, maybe. But I haven’t done it yet. I haven’t done it yet. I’m hoping for it. I’m chasing it.”

That’s where Arians is with Campbell. The coach never says Campbell is playing poorly. He only says Campbell could be playing better. It’s that quest for perfection all the players and Arians keep bringing up. Campbell is the Cards’ best defensive lineman (although Rucker indeed played very well in Cleveland.) He is playing that way. Arians just wants more.

“He’s got the talent,” Arians said. “He’s got the talent and he’s shown he can. He needs to do it all the time.”

CampBlog

Tags: , ,

35 Responses to “Motivating Calais”

1. By Scott H on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Not related to this, but….damn, those Browns uniforms are ugly! Aren’t they?? WHO looked at those things and thought they were a good idea?? NFL uniforms are not supposed to be “busy.” They should be simple. The Pats have uniforms that are kinda busy but they are cool. The Seahawks and Browns are too busy and they are ugly as hell.

Also not related to this, but….things have just not gone well for Ken Whisenhunt since Kurt Warner left town after 2009. Shame. But someone will be happy to have him as their OC.

2. By D on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Bold= showing an ability to take risks; confident and courageous

Moving E. Watford to Right Tackle.
    Trading B. Massie to SD for J. Attaochu (OLB) and a 6th round pick.

Then I work up.

3. By CC#93 on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Lets go #93, will need you to dominate the second half of the season.

Darren what are you thoughts on B-Trains comments on Whisenhunt today. Sounds like he thought he was a complete jerk. Retired over playing for him. Sounds like he was not well liked by the organization as well.

4. By Darren Urban on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

CC —

RE: Berry on Whiz

I did not hear them, to be honest.

5. By DTL P. Hoog on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

And, C. Palmer this am on 98.7:

Says O still has not exploited the blitz, they can do so much more, will work on;
    His apparent mobility attributed to bigger pocket this year for him to slide, scoot;

So impressed with CP’s relentless, methodical, calm effort to improve…man, we got a good one after so long w/o a QB.

If Brady can play to 40 (he’s 38), why can’t CP? Manning is 39, fwiw, his poor start maybe more aobut new systme thatn the fading skills, but some of both. Maybe CP gets one more contract after this, or year to year? Pair him up with CJ for awhile, lol😉

Too bad for Whiz, got a QB and fired b4 could gin him up…maybe he’s an OC?

6. By Big Ken on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

When Whiz came to AZ he inherited a fine team that Dennis Green put together. With BA/SK running the show they have clearly built this squad themselves. Nothing against Ken Wisenhunt, but he needs to remain an OC where ever he lands.

7. By Steve on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Whisenhunt, I think, is a good guy but his firing illustrates how difficult it is to win in the NFL if you don’t have a good QB. I would have thought given that Marcus Mariota is a rookie, that Whiz would have been given more time to develop him but in his last 35 games as a head coach, Ken was 4-31. He is probably better suited to be an OC.

8. By Dr H on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Have you seen the Steelers “bumble bee” uniform – talk about butt ugly.

CP is playing his best football in his career (not only my opinion per many analysts) and I definitely think he can play another 4 – 5 years without much decline. He is so calm and mature in his plays, and boy can he scramble. His throws are just as good a la Rodgers when he’s running to avoid the sac as he is standing in the pocket. As Keim stated, he’s a god send.

9. By Dr. G. on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Dear BA:: Bah Humbug for your take on Campbell…He saves your ass on ‘D’ a lot.

The Whiz needs to be a TEs’ coach. My observations for years points to his inability to lead the “leaders” (coaches)… With the players, they like him. But he basically had to let Warner run the game prep meetings… Fired by the chick in TN today! He will find something next 2016 camp… No pity please; he has made some good coin…later Cards Fans on the bye…

Sunday – Sunday…!!! BA, get someone to help you with the cerebral stuff for the players…they need help with the rules and finishing…. BA, you are the Man… We do not miss the Whiz…

10. By D on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

I think if I remember, the main reason why D. Lebeau joined Whiz in TN was location…guessing he wishes he was on the golf course now..

11. By georgiebird on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Let’s be honest about Whiz. Warner carried him to the SB.

12. By georgiebird on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

very foolish to think Whiz had that much to do with the Cards getting to the SB. Whiz was in the right place at the right time- thanks to Kurt Warner

13. By Scott H on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Just as Wade Phillips and some other guys are clearly better suited to be a coordinator, Whiz may be one of those guys. There’s little denying that few coaches ( if any ) succeed without a QB, but….yeah, I think Whiz had the benefit of coming into a situation in Arizona where a pretty good foundation was already in place. I’m not sure why he gets so much credit for making Warner the starter when – with a struggling Matt Leinart as the alternative – it was clear and obvious Warner was the better QB. But…whatever. Bottom line, he was at the helm when this team went to its only SB in its history. He deserves SOME credit for that.

But that is the past. The immediate future is Seattle and that is all that matters right now. This is the team that has turned us away – with some authority – since the arrival of Russel Wilson. But it is a fact that the Seahawks never had to play the Cardinals at anywhere neat full strength last year. And the last time they faced Carson Palmer, it was the last time the Cards beat them. In Seattle. Even with 4 INT’s by Palmer.

Frankly, I hope we can make it a little easier on ourselves this time around. We just saw how hard 4 T/O’s were to over-come against a BAD team. Whether or not we could over-come that against a team like Seattle isn’t the point. The point is, why should we have to over-come so may T/O’s against anyone? We better stop making the mistakes that hold us back and the time to cut the crap is NOW.

I am glad we have teams like Seattle and Cincy and St Loo coming up. You want to be one of the big dogs, then you need to start running with the big dogs. The 2nd half of this schedule requires a that we start playing on a different level – the level we are clearly capable of. We will go a LOOOOONG way toward getting there by doing nothing more than cutting way down on the penalties and ( especially ) the turnovers.

Our toughest opponent at this point is ourselves.

14. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Darren- Do you think Whiz will ever be a NFL coach again, after this dismal record?

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Whiz

He’ll get a coordinator job, I’d guess. I’ll be surprised if he gets another HC gig.

16. By dan on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Maybe Calais isn’t that good? He been doing the disappearing act his whole career. I remember in his early years he missed sacks all the time, now he can’t even get to the QB. He faces more double teams but not all the time plus he shouldn’t he gets more breathing time…….no excuses, honestly I think he’s average at best.

17. By Dr. G. on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren, Try putting up a “free-for-all” post for the bye week and see what happens from the posting fans…now particular subject…

I guess some posters are random anyway, huh? Thanks for your efforts…be well

18. By Dobie on Nov 3, 2015 | Reply

There is do we in team. It is we are the fans and they are the team. So it is good luck to the Cardinals they have it hard from here on in

19. By Eazy E on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Calais is a great player, but sometimes he can do even more and it’s because of his immense talent! To B.A.’s point though, you really can’t dominate ALL THE TIME!

20. By Eazy E on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Scott H-

The heck you talking about? The Cleveland Uniforms are nice!

21. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

dan –

RE: Campbell

You say he gets more breathing time??? Really? You do realize Calais plays on special teams as well, don’t you?

22. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Eazy E –

RE: The Cleveland uniforms are nice!

I’m not sure whether to take you seriously or not….

Those Browns uniforms are maybe one step above the Steelers throwbacks. Maybe.

23. By David Chaeney on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

I always thought whiz was a nice guy and after going to the Super Bowl my hopes he would continue the trend were high. Unfortunately, as is so typical in the NFL, when you don’t have a franchise QB, your odds of having a great team fall drastically practically all the time. Good luck to him and I’m sure some team needs a qualified OC which he is.
    On a more positive note, this old senior can’t begin to tell you how proud I am to root for the Cards and make all the people who dissed them for so many years eat crow or their words for you folks who don’t know that old school expression. It is such a great testimony to Steve Keim, BA and all the coaching staff to see the guys pushing themselves week after week to get better. Some rest this week will help since the second half holds a brutal schedule for the team. Good luck to all, let’s stay injury free and GO CARDS!

24. By Dynosoar on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G.,

that was a pretty random post.

Haha!

25. By Dynosoar on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

I’m not too worried about Seattle this year. I’m also glad we have three teams that are currently playoff bound on our schedule. At the end of last season we were thinking, based on last seasons playoffs that this years schedule was going to be brutal.

Not our fault teams made poor offseason decisions while Keim and Arians made brilliant and bold offseason moves.

I do like that the easier part of our schedule is at the beginning of the season for us to be able to win While we’re finding our groove AND the harder part of the schedule is towards the end so we can be best prepared for the Payoffs.

Peaking at the right time.

The Browns uniforms are classy. The Steelers, Broncos and Packers throwbacks – hideous.

26. By Jessica on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Hi Darren,

What are you hearing about Fitzy’s ankle? Haven’t heard much, and it seems they have downplayed his injuries over the last couple of years…@ProFootballDoc said he thought mild high ankle sprain and return would depend on overnight swelling. Any news on that swelling?

Thank you!

27. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Jessica —

RE: Fitz

Fitz should be fine for the Seattle game. Was walking fine today in flip-flops.

28. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Dynosaur –

RE: I’m not too worried about Seattle this year

I would pump the brakes on that. The Seahawks are – personnel wise – pretty much the same team that has gone to the last two SB’s, BOTH of which they should have won. And we have seen how they tend to start slow, then start to roll in the 2nd half of the season.

29. By Dr. G. on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Historically, Whiz was an upgrade from guys like Bubba Ryan, ((you gotta weiner in town)), Dennis Green ((they are who we thought they were!!!)), and McGinnis…

And, now, Cool Uncle Bruce has proven to have the 2nd best win % in history @675% in multiple seasons since 1948’s Jimmy Conzelman. Regardless of the staff and players, one cannot argue this success. This is not an upgrade from Whiz; it is an exponential change with towering historical results. Some of us critique his play calling on occasion…he is not even as good as he can and perhaps will be…!! He may not admit that he is improving right alongside his guys on the field.

Now, for Rod Graves, he was generous to a fault with his contracts to performance ratio and draft picks. I will not offer anything critical of him, but I can conclude that Steve Keim was the genius-in-waiting and has been probably better than BA at his area of the business. THAT SAYS LOTS… Any coach should hug him breathless.

This is one helluva a team when compared to history…totally stoked Cards Fans. No, I have not been imbibing on anything today…just looking at some stats.

30. By D on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Darren- the photographer sure likes getting you in those locker room background shots.

Way too early draft talk.

I think it all depends on who Mr. Keim can re-sign. I am guessing Bethel, Chris Johnson ,Powers and R. Johnson will be priority, of course not all of these guys will be resigned. I am not sure T. Jefferson can provide the leader/QB of the secondary like R. Johnson has provided. Although Tony is a good depth player.

But if Mr. Keim can sign Bethel, Powers and R. Johnson and since the Cards will be drafting low in the draft, I would think Center will be a target.

Lyle is Unrestricted. I would guess if drafting in the 28-32 range, rather than take the 5-6 best pass rusher, or 4-5 best corner, they could draft the 1-2 top rated Center. Cards need a young Center to take over for the next several years.

Floyd if he plays well the rest of the team, will get a higher offer from another team, and with the depth on this team, I think he will be gone.

31. By clssylssy on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Some people who are really smart and good at what they are just aren’t politicians and are better “hands on” assets. I think Coach Whiz falls into this category and just doesn’t do the corporate hoop dancing, media suck up, and paper pushing BS that goes with the HC job title. In the NFL it doesn’t matter so much how competent you are with the subject matter or your players(as BA found in Pittsburg), there has to be a “holy trinity” of Owner/HC/GM in order to have a smooth operating and successful franchise. Whiz was the best thing to happen in Arizona in years, he made it possible for Kurt Warner to have a resurrection of his career(overriding the franchise Hollywood pretty boy) took us to the SB as well as winning the Division two years (a first, that we haven’t yet accomplished since). Michael was new in the big chair and still had the Senior Mr. B’s gatekeeper, Graves, that prevented the HC from having the freedom and support BA now enjoys. The Tennessee franchise was a dumpster fire when Whiz arrived and with all the injuries and an impatient fan base, he was swimming against the current in a sea of sharks… So, perhaps this was a blessing in disguise and he’ll get to go back to doing what he enjoys and does best, working directly with the players. I wish him the best and will always cherish those magical years that started us on the road to being relevent!

32. By William Barry on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

1. I did see Darren and Kyle in the background during post game interviews….great job…
    2. Whiz is good, but he should remain a OC for now….
    3. Carson has been playing fabulous, due to the fact, if anybody ever noticed, he is stepping up in the pocket, and releasing the ball within 3 seconds-a quick decision maker….that is why he is playing so well.
    4. I think we can beat Seattle.
    5. We cant have 4 turnovers a game
    6. We must continue to GET TURNOVERS…
    7. Defense shows it can shut out teams in the second half.

33. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Dr G –

Oh, it’s not even a question with Ryan and McGinnis ( as much as I liked him ). Whiz was ABSOLUTELY an up-grade over them. Not even close. Green? Hmmm….not so sure. I think Whiz was a better coach, but….only by a slight margin. And Whiz did take over a team that Green / the previous regime had started to put together. Bringing Warner here was maybe the most fateful move this team ever made. Warner and Haley were GREAT together and they had the weapons at WR to play to Warner’s strengths. Throw in that glove Warner started wearing, and….there ya have it! Take Haley and then Warner out of the picture, and….there it went.

Buddy Ryan was a buffoon. He was an embarrassment. He could build a great defense. But his total disdain for the offensive side of the ball was tragic. And, unfortunately, his teams had a tendency to take on his personality. Trouble was….he’s an idiot.

I am glad to see his sons faring well in their careers so far. I like Rex Ryan. He has enough of his dad’s edge that it is a good thing. But he has shown much more maturity that his dad ever did. And he is much better suited to be a head coach.

34. By Dr. G. on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

ScottH…Yeah, agreed on Bubba… One of the worst decisions was to give him the GM spot as well as HC. He came in and cut some very good players on what appeared vendetta motivated. Players and coaches had no say…Emperor Bubba.

I tried to buy in, but he lost my respect when one of our media guys asked him about players who may not be available or injured…his response verbatim- “”nobody that matters.”” …no names or even the numbers.

And he used to look at players and call them by their number ((hey,42)) long after he had been here…same thing in post game talks…not very classy to say the least. That is the area where Arians is one of the best…later

35. By Scott H on Nov 6, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G –

Yeah, I remember that. And one of those players who “didn’t matter” was Luis Sharpe. That was a horrific way to refer to a long-time Cardinal and perennial Pro Bowler. But that was Buddy Ryan. No one who played on the offensive side of the ball ever mattered to him.