Barkley finally gets work in Cards’ scheme

Posted by Darren Urban on November 4, 2015 – 2:28 pm

Matt Barkley isn’t going anywhere. The trade that brought him to the Cardinals from the Eagles said he had to be on the Cardinals’ roster for six weeks in order for the Cards to surrender their seventh-round pick and that deadline passed a couple of weeks ago. It only made sense, because the Cardinals hadn’t even had a chance to see Barkley do anything in their own system by that point. In-season, the third-string quarterback works the scout team when everyone is healthy.

Finally, that changed with the Cardinals’ lone practice of the bye week. Bruce Arians worked mostly those players who don’t get much game-time work. That included Barkley at quarterback for the first time in the Cards’ scheme.

“(It) was fun, for the first time to get some real live offensive reps as opposed to just the surface reps we’ve been doing,” Barkley said. “It’ll take some time to get that muscle memory of the footwork and where (the ball) needs to go, but a lot of these concepts are similar to what I did in college. You don’t want to think back to the terminology and what you did in former offenses, but a lot of it does have similarities that I’ve been used to. So I’ve just got to get back trained like that as opposed to being in the gun and doing zone-read all the time (like in Philadelphia).”

The only downside? Most of the vets weren’t going to relish the bye week practices.

“They all want to get out of here,” Barkley said. “They were yelling at me to get the huddle in and out. But no, it was a good day.”

Barkley remains an unknown for the Cardinals, someone whose play in the offseason work likely will determine his future more than what scraps he gets now. But with backup Drew Stanton a free agent after the season and the Cards still looking for what they might do post-Carson Palmer, it’s worth kicking the tires on Barkley.

BarkleyBlog

Tags:

28 Responses to “Barkley finally gets work in Cards’ scheme”

1. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Barkley is not the future for this team. If you doubt that, you heard it here first. Matt Barkley is basically the equivalent of Ryan Lindley. And he might not even be that good. How he plays in practice or running a scout team will tell us very little. And I can only hope we don’t have to find out the hard way.

I can also only hope the Cardinals DO have a plan for their future at QB. Because I do not believe that person is on this roster right now. Or…maybe he is. But it ain’t Barkley. The success this team has had in recent years has been with veteran QB’s that found magic with the Cardinals. And we know Arians favors veteran players. I have to wonder if they have their eye on someone ( Rivers? Brees? Cutler? ) they believe will be available soon OR if they believe Palmer may have a few more years left in him. He sure is playing like it right now!

But the future of this team is not going to be Matt Barkley. Forget it.

2. By JosEPh on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Good to see some info on Barkley and how he is doing. Hopefully he won’t be called upon this season.

But contrary to the previous poster comparing Barkley to Lindley is out right unfair to both young men. Fans like to lay blame on someone and make “statements” that they report to be the facts.

Truth is we know little about the Team’s plans for the young QB we traded a 7th rd pick for. It’s my hope that Barkley can prove his doubter’s wrong, just from the shear fact that all young players deserve a chance to prove themselves from naysayers.

Good Luck Matt Barkley

3. By Dan H on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Well ill say this, when Carson Palmer joined I’m sure you and plenty of others thought the same about him. Give the man a chance. Some thrive some don’t. Carson shut a lot of people up real quick, why can’t Barkley? We have Quarterback whisperers on our team, if he doesn’t fit and get the fundamentals right he will be out of the Bird Cage real quick. He wasn’t drafted so they don’t have to waste the time on him like they did with Thomas. Barkley has potential and they know they can fix whatever is needed.

4. By joe holst on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Hope he works out like the last QB(Palmer) they traded a 7th rounder for…

5. By clssylssy on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Actually, I would compare Barkley more to Matt Leinert.

6. By Dan H on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

How about give him a chance. Everyone doubted Palmer and he shut up people like you leaving this comment. We have quarterback gods on our staff. Whatever the issue they could fix with him. If they do t like what they see with time poof released. We didn’t draft him so the window to get him ready is not needed as Logan Thomas. I guarantee they wanted to let him go earlier but they didn’t due to him being drafted.

7. By shane on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

scott H ?? Palmers 35 and is playing at a very high level.. Brady’s 38…. and is playing at a very high level.. carsons got at least 3 more years in him. & really? brees? hes 36 hes older than palmer.. and his arm is only good in domes.. cutler? no.. hell be on another team buy then.. but i could maybe see Stafford with that arm i think bruce could get the most out of him .

8. By shane on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

scott H Yeah & Barkley is much much better than Ryan lindley .. Barkley was projected to be a top 10 pick if he came out his junior year.. the dude was no scrub .. Ryan Lindy was playing a SD state lol and still wasnt impressive ..

9. By Black on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

Where are the Carson Palmer haters now? Carson and Matt have a lot in common and he’s worth a look.

10. By Charley on Nov 4, 2015 | Reply

What a waste of time on this a seventh rounder for nothing and an article kissing the arse of stupidity

Sent from my iPhone

11. By clssylssy on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

How a player is projected to go in the draft means very little, many college Gods can never make the transition. Matt Leinert was a Heisman Trophy Winner also out of USC but lacked the intangibles to cut it in the NFL. Barkley is another USC product, s system player, who, if he showed any promise, Chip Kelley would surely have hung onto (look what he’s done with Sam Bradford!). Historically, the Cards have not been a good developmental training ground, and while the QB talent pool seems to be getting shallower every year, my guess is that, he’ll just get cut after camp as a camp body with, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

12. By DTL aka Patrick Hoog on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

Where do these small minded Barkley haters come from? I don’t get it. Vent your negativity somewhere else. BA, Tom Moore are not idiots. Your comments indict them. Although not flawless, they get it right on QBs more than anyone in NFL history. Get in the game! Let Barkley’s play determine his destiny. Go Cards.

13. By AzDesertRat53 on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

The way BA and Tom Moore got Carson Palmer working in the offense, plus the other QB’s they have Made; Manning, Big Ben, Luck (would love to have him here with BA), Matt Barkley will be in the best hands in the NFL.
    If he has it in him to play in the NFL the Teachers/Coaches we have will pull it out an show it to all, or we will meet next QB up.

GO CARDS!!!

14. By Duane Spencer on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

Almost every Cardinals board and thread I follow had these opinions…

We got Matt Leinert !! WOW we got our franchise QB
    Kurt Warner, why in the heck did we get another old retread past his prime.
    Carson Palmer? When are we going to get a good qb?

And if BA and Tom Moore have let Mr Barkley stay this long, they must see something in him…

15. By Brandon on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

This may be a bit of a long shot but maybe sometime in the future a trade could happen for Blake Bortles, Pretty sure Arians had said he really liked him at some point after the draft. Plus Bortles looks really good he just doesn’t have any one to throw to over there in Jacksonville.

16. By Dr. G on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

ScottH – – Wow, your opinion is getting hammered on this one. We just do not know yet…He is a good athlete with a good brain; and if we can get the QB gurus to have him fix ((better perhaps “learn”)) some things so he can adapt, he may shine in the end. The proof is yet to be….

clsslssy – – NO WAY !! Barkley cannot be compared in any way with Leinart except attending the same school. Matt had a head problem in the beginning with the Hollywooding and off-field stuff, and Whiz just did not love the attitude. Matt thought he was the man before he was just a kid in the NFL…The love he got in college did not auto-transfer to the NFL. Look at the success he had after the Cards…nada basically. Matt is still pissed at Whiz as proven by his tweet a few days ago…something like…”now, maybe Mariota will have a chance.” …kicking him when he just got fired…real mature…huh?

I wanna give this kid a chance, but just like CBA rules dictate stupidly, the rooks just have to get what they can on their own…not much time in real-time with the 1st team guys. We shall see…let’s give him some time. I am still waiting to see what Logan can do…the press’ word on him is not favorable, but the coaches say they want to give him a chance.

17. By Dr. G on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

On second thought, I’M NOT DONE YET…!

Cards Fans, please point to some “factual” things that indict Barkley as a bust. I just want to read some proof that he will be gone next camp… NONE..? OK…let’s just see what comes out in camp…be well… lovin’ the Cards Fans’ spirit…later…

18. By MikeFlorio on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

Barkley looks good, a real upside….we should see if Leinart would come out of retirement.

19. By Scott h on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

shane –

RE: Barkley is better than Lindley

OK. Well, Lindley – as bad as he is – has done something Barkley has not to this point in his illustrious NFL cateer. He has thrown a TD pass in a regular season game. Let me know when Barkley catches up.

He was projected to be a top 10 pick? Really? Did the Eagles know that? Because that didn’t seem to mean anything to them…and they DID draft him. Don’t you think the Eagles drafted him with some sense of hope he could be their future at QB??? Of course they did. They didn’t draft him to be a camp body. They saw enough of Barkley and decided to part ways. That tells me something.

I’m not hating on the kid, folks. I just believe he is not going to be a good QB in the NFL. I’m entitled to that opinion. Why people take such offense to it is WAAAAY beyond me. And I think any comparisons to his being here now and Palmer coming here two years ago are absolutely absurd. One has NOTHING to do with the other.

20. By clssylssy on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

On a more positive note…midseason “grades” on NFL.com has Carson Palmer ranked #2,of QB starters! That’s ahead of Rogers, Brees, Manning(s), Big Ben…PRETTY COOL, HUH? (even though I don’t puta lot of validity in media rankings).
    LOL, I find it a little extreme the way our fans throw around the term “hater”. Comparing Palmer and Barkley is laughable, as Palmer was a starter by the team who drafted him by his second season, whereas Barkley hasn’t seen a single snap and is now with his second team.
    The idea of him as a backup to Palmer next season lends even a greater sense of urgency for this being a “do or die” season for the Cards, as it appears it will be a rebuilding year for us too!

21. By bigredcards on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

Clssylssy-

A rebuilding year because Matt barkly might be our second string quarterback. That might be the dumbest thing I have read all year thanks for the laugh

22. By truths4all on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

Anyone who tries to sell that Barkley is compa able to Palmer is a totally blind USC basketcase.

When the Cards got Palmer, he had just threw for over 4,000 yards for a very bad team. Palmer had an extensive track record of being able to play and compete in the NFL.

As for Barkley, he has not done squat in his NFL career up to this point. Barkley has the new beginning and chance to learn and try to perform at the NFL level. If he can adapt, if he can improve his accuracy, if he can learn how to read defenses at the NFL level, if he can show he can make those slip-second d cisions and THEN execute those decisions, then he will succeed where thousands of successful college QBs have not.

23. By Brett Colorado on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

The problem that I think is that majority of the college qbs coming out are not pro style qbs they are all pistol package and run first and then pass, I’m not totally impressed with Barkley but maybe the guy can run a pro style offense from I remember from his days at USC and seeing a little bit of him in the NFL. Maybe there is potential there and maybe not who knows.

24. By clssylssy on Nov 5, 2015 | Reply

bigredcard…
    No, ….because of all the talent that we are looking to lose because of contracts and the inference that Barkley could possibly be moving into the backup QB position with Stanton’s contract expiring…geez!

25. By Scott H on Nov 6, 2015 | Reply

Dr G.-

RE: My opinion is getting hammered on this one ( Barkley )

And? Nothing new. I’ve gotten used to that!

True, I have no crystal ball for this or anything else. I’m not saying I know anything for sure. I am saying I do not believe he will be a good QB, nor do I believe that he will be a factor for the Cardinals.

26. By Person on Nov 7, 2015 | Reply

I believe that Matt Barkley Is a lot like Carson Palmer, and BA would not have kept Barkley this long unless he saw something in him. The AZ cards love their USC QBs, but ours have been good, look at Palmer, and Lienart was doing good and Ken Wis ruined him. BA knows what he is doing, so let him keep him, who knows this guy could be our next QB.

27. By C on Nov 7, 2015 | Reply

These comments are hilarious. What equates to a seventh round pick, and what is now the thoroughly inactive, third string quarterback isn’t the future of the franchise? Wow, that’s amazing. Tell me more.

Instead of babbling on making bold, insightful statements like this, why not try to tell me what third string quarterback is considered their team’s future cornerstone QB?

I’ll wait here.

28. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2015 | Reply

C –

Well, instead of being so critical of the insights of others, why don’y you try offering some of your own?

We’ll wait here. Although I’m thinking this might take awhile…..