Cardinals getting better in primetime

Posted by Darren Urban on November 18, 2015 – 12:09 pm

The Cardinals will play their second straight game on “Sunday Night Football” this weekend and have their third primetime appearance in their last four games. They have at least one more primetime game coming this season when they host Minnesota Dec. 10 on “Thursday Night Football.” Thus far, they are 2-0 in those headliner games.

The primetime games have become much more prevalent for the Cardinals since 2006, when University of Phoenix Stadium opened (the Bengals game, by the way, is the 100th game at UoP, including preseason and postseason. Cards have sold out each one.) The willingness to try and put more teams on those games — including the choice to give every team at least one Thursday game — helps, as does the fact the Cards have been more competitive.

Before the last two games, there were some concerned about the Cardinals on primetime. “They don’t do very well” was the worry. True or false? True. At least in the past. This team is proving different.

The Cardinals have played in 17 regular-season primetime games since 2006. Their record? It’s only 7-10, and that’s with the two wins this season. However, they have under Arians won 4 of 6. (Another note: 10 of those primetime games have been against NFC West opponents, including a “Monday Night Football” stretch of five in a row.)

On the other hand, the Bengals are 4-8 in primetime games with Andy Dalton as starting quarterback, and 8-16 in primetime games under coach Marvin Lewis. Most of those, like the Cardinals, were different teams in different years and don’t have much to do with this week. Take it for what it’s worth.

ACvsCB

Tags: , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Cardinals getting better in primetime”

1. By Cardinal on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Darren as a fan for 41 seasons now , since a kid in St Louis, I think this is our best, most complete team ever . Would you agree? Want more than anything to FINALLY get a bye !!!! Go CARDINALS.

2. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Cardinal —

RE: Complete team

I haven’t been watching the team as long as you. I do think this is the deepest and complete team since the team came to Arizona, however.

3. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Aloha Darren

Will they use their black jerseys one more time this year or was the Rams game the only time they could use it?

Just love seeing them on Prime time and the best part winning!!!

GO CARDS !!!!

4. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Black jerseys

I do not believe there will be another black jersey game.

5. By D on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Bengals defense is good by AFC standards, but not as good as Seattle. If the Cards Off Tackles can hold up to Cincy’s DE then Palmer should be able to Carve Up that secondary. I think CJ’s speed will give Burfict and Maualuga problems…the BB gun will have problems with AZ
    Secondary…

6. By Marlin on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

If you had to guess (guessing you won’t answer this directly)…….
    if the Cards were to sign 2 of the 3 primary defensive back unrestricted free agents (RJohnson, JPowers, JBethel)….who would you guess the 2 would be?

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Signings

So many variables. How much are they being offered? And what do they truly feel about the future of Bethel as CB? Is Deone a future safety, or LB?

8. By jaime on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Hello Darren, what about the all red uniforms? I dont remember them wearing those but I might be wrong. Love the Big Red look. Goooo Big Red!!!

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Jaime —

RE: All red

They haven’t worn them yet.

10. By Brian C. on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Being healthy makes all the difference. The hamstring dilemma continues! Other than rest and stretching, there is no way to avoid it. I assume all teams deal with it equally but it is just a frustration that the Cardinals don’t need right now. It affects the potency of our high powered receiving core.

11. By joe holst on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

I didn’t like Drew Stanton Dance as the Cards were still in position to lose the game. If Seattle would have recovered the onside kick, tied the game it would have looked terrible. I am all for celebrations nut after the game. If also looked like he almost interfered with Andre Ellington touchdown, what if that would have had to come back. But yes they are doing great on Prime time. ARZ 34-Cin 17

12. By DTL aka Patrick Hoog on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Primetime Ready: Agree, best AZ Cards team. Complete thru 63 guys, + C. Palmer playing like a #1 overall draft pick. CP = $$. Think about that. We have an overall #1 QB who is reaching his potential, and he could be around awhile…wow.

That SI article may explain why Logan didn’t make it? The off field prep and study C. Palmer does is immense, like a lawyer prep for trial, like a brain surgeon for surgery… wow2.

13. By Credit Card on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

Cards are becoming a national favorite type team. Think of it, the Cards have:

A head coach that speaks plain talk, not fancy well respected with a wry sense of humor.
    A comeback player of the year and MVP candidate in Carson Palmer
    Another comeback player of the year in what was considered a washed up running back in Chris Johnson.
    An overlooked DB that had off field issues, that the Cards took a chance on him and he has become a good civic leader.
    A smooth and ageless wide receiver, who happens to say all the right things.
    A savvy GM that used to play offensive line.
    A winning record with awesome highlight reel plays
    and of course a new team dance!

No kidding aside, the Cards are becoming an organization that provides second chances to athletes — that truly deserved a second chance. As a w-2 working tax paying thug — I sure am thankful that others have given me second chances. Right or wrong, sports tends to represent our society — refreshing to know this team has a no frills leadership with second chance athletes doing good things. Add in the new team dance … the Cards are America’s team.

14. By mitchaz on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

The Cardinals’ poise has been put to the test in recent games and the coaches and players have been passing this test with flying colors. It feels as if BA, his staff and the players have mentally conditioned themselves to embrace adversity, to recognize the challenges each adversity presents and then to impose their tenacity, their sheer will to succeed and their situational preparedness in order to climb over each hurdle.

As a Cardinals’ fan since 1963, who is normally prone to panic attacks and profanity laced tantrums when the Cardinals squander a command of the game—I am noticing that I too am feeling a certain calmness within the mindset of, “Hey, this is a good test to see how we handle it. No one ever said it was going to be easy. In being aggressive, at times we are going at to make mistakes, mistakes that can swing the momentum very quickly the other way. But, do we have what it to rise up to each challenge and to find a way to prevail anyway?”

In short—-this season thus far has been a revelation of sorts—because it is so much fun watching this team compete—that the fun trumps the anxiety.

Are you noticing a change in how you are watching the games?

15. By Robert on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

I am SOOO proud to be AZ CARDINAL fan never as much as i was this Sunday night. This game was so vital to put the cardinals front and center.

16. By dynosoar on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

“RE: Black jerseys
    I do not believe there will be another black jersey game.”

Yeah!

Unless, they wear red pants with the black jerseys. Otherwise, no black jerseys please.

17. By Scott H on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

jamie –

I’m with you, bro – let’s see the all red look on Sunday night. Always seems like they play nasty in those uniforms. And this game – against the team that gave Palmer a raw deal a few years ago – is gonna be a good time to bring the nasty.

I think the offensive side of the ball is going to ready to run through brick walls for Palmer on Sunday night. Head first. And they’re gonna like it!

Waiting for good news on Iupati. Floyd, too, but we already know that the OTHER J Brown is ready to step in and get the job done if we need him. And Smoky has been kinda quiet the last few weeks. Seems like he’s due for a big one, ala the 75-yarder he dropped on the Eagles last year. If the hammy is good, let’s turn him loose.

18. By georgiebird on Nov 18, 2015 | Reply

One of the low point on prime time for the Cardinals was a 20-20 overtime tie with the woeful Giants on MNF in October 1983. The infamous Cards’ field goal kicker , the 6′-6″ Neil O’Donoughue missed 3 field goals in overtime including a very easy 19 yarder.

19. By Dr H on Nov 19, 2015 | Reply

It’s so nice to be able to watch the Cards without constantly being at the edge of my seat, biting my nails or covering my eyes terrified that someone will blow a play. With Carson, I can relax, munch on my chips and be completely confident that he and the rest of this great team will find a way to win – watching them play is sooooooo fun now!!! He’s a god send.

Let’s never let BA leave Arizona – can’t believe he never had a chance to be head coach till now (and thank the Bears for whiffing on him……thank God Bidwell had the good sense to snatch him up before any one else did).

Let’s go get the Bengals for Carson!

20. By Scott H on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Dr H –

I still tend to be on the edge of my seat during any Cards game I get to watch! That is just me. I hear ya. But don’t tell me you weren’t on the edge of wherever you were sitting on Sunday night when Seattle took a 29-25 lead in the 4th! Or when they were lining up for the on-side kick.

Or, at the end of the Ravens game with the Ravens at the 4 yard line with time for a few more plays. They don’t always make it easy, do they?

Isn’t it amazing that we were one of several teams looking for a HC a few years back, that we were the last team to hire one, and that BA was still available at that point??? I’d say that has worked out pretty well for both sides!

21. By William Barry on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

I’ve been watching the Cards, since 1965, (50 years) and I can say this team is the most complete. We are aggressive on offense and defense. And yes, (Georgiebird) I do remember the 1983 game with Neil O’Donoghue. We have come so far from that point.

And, the “Stanton Dance” was great!!!!