Goodell talks about Daryl Washington

Posted by Darren Urban on November 20, 2015 – 9:05 am

The NFL commissioner was talking Cardinals this morning, during an appearance on “Doug and Wolf” on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. At one point, he was asked about the status of suspended linebacker Daryl Washington, who has not been reinstated from his at-least-a-year suspension that was handed down in late May of 2014.

Goodell didn’t have details, nor was he going to. He did say that he was “aware that his status is unchanged.”

“The substance abuse policy is something that is collectively bargained with the players association as far as the CBA,” Goodell said. “A very strong tenet of that is the fact is the program remains confidential and circumstances surrounding it stay confidential between the various partners. We have professionals that work on it, they make determinations with individuals within the program and they make recommendations back to the NFLPA and NFL.

“I am not directly involved in that but I am aware his status is unchanged and will remain so until the professionals are prepared to move forward.”

While details aren’t forthcoming, it is telling that the NFLPA is looped in to all this and has not publicly said anything — in particular, gone to bat for Washington asking why he is still suspended. Neither has Washington’s agent. That’s probably not a good sign.

— Goodell also said the league “couldn’t be more pleased” with how the Super Bowl went last season and that the league looks forward to coming back. Another Super Bowl seems inevitable. Remember the one caveat to getting a Super Bowl at some point, officially, is that a host team has to give up a home game to play internationally. (That may be inevitable anyway. With the NFL’s international push, I’m guessing every team will eventually be tapped to give up a home game at some point.)

Tags: , ,

45 Responses to “Goodell talks about Daryl Washington”

1. By Travis on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Sounds to me like he surrounds himself with some bad influence. What a shame, true waste of talent.

2. By D on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

My guess is that he is done. If his agent and players union are not making this a huge deal. We all have seen, D. Smith of the Union love to Grandstand in front of any cameras he can find and he has been silent on DWash. He may get re-instated a year or two from now, but he’ll be over 30, probably could still play in the league but not the impact player he once used to be. Doubtful it would be here in AZ.

3. By Dobie on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Other players have done worse and are playing right now I think they know that Washington could help the Cardinals in there defense

4. By LadyBird04 on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

DWash has done all this by himself…he made his choices over and over again. It’s not like he made one or even two mistakes and then figured it out. Can’t and shouldn’t put the onus on anyone but himself. Cant blame outside influences as all he has to do is say “no” and get on with his life. The drugs are not the only issue – if and when he gets that figured out he has to deal with the DV and hopefully he’s in a good place there.

Buc and Minter have taken care of business and hopefully everyone will move on from this issue.

5. By Goodymane17 on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Headline “Goodell talk about Daryl Washington”
    Article “Goodell has nothing to say other then the situation has not changed”

Misleading? I.just think this whole thing is a crock of crap. How can nobody out there know what is going on or why is nobody getting to the bottom of it? Where the heck is he.living? Has anybody seen him? Has he ram off and disappeared and gave up on his career? Somebody has to know, and if so why have the Cardinals not cut bait? Why they waiting around if nobody has a clue? When Adrian Peterson was suspended they covered that story every single day till the day he came back, yet nobody can talk about D Wash cause its confidential!?!? If this was Larry, or Calias, you would be hearing about it every day and everybody would know whats going on. Fans who spend money and buy merchandise deserve to know when or if this guy is every gonna come back. All.this ove se dam weed smh…

6. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    What is Dwash’s contract with the Cards till? 2016? Maybe if he gets reinstated next year Gm Kiem can do his 1 year deals ? I hope he has learned his lesson but just think if he was part of this defense right now? WOW !!! Well like BA said, can worry about him if hes not on the field!

Now on to the Bengals! You got this!

GO CARDS!

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: DWash

Washington’s contract “tolled” the moment he was suspended — as in, froze. Meaning if he ever returned (which seems doubtful) he would have the same number of years remaining as he did when he left.

8. By Shawn on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

I have to believe that the Domestic Violence issue with him is so bad that the NFL would rather keep him buried under the substance abuse issue, than reinstate and let the domestic violence issue surface in the media.

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Shawn —

RE: DWash/DV

This has nothing to do with that case. In fact, that’s something to remember — even if Washington was reinstated, that case still has to be addressed in terms of punishment.

10. By Javier on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Darren

Are the Cardinals still taking a cap hit on Washingtons contract even though he isn’t playing?

11. By Darren Urban on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Javier —

RE: DWash cap

The pro-rated part of his bonus money, yes.

12. By absofquiveringsteel on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

D Washington situation reminds me a lot of the Luis Sharpe story.

13. By matt on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

From what I read he was eligible for reinstatement in June and had to apply for reinstatement. If he applied, the league had to decide within 60 days. The league never ruled on this therefor he never applied for reinstatement. The reason he wouldn’t apply, is that once he applied he could be drug tested again and if he fails another test he is banned for life. I think he is waiting til he can pass a test, which is not good news.

14. By Darren Urban on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Matt —

RE: Testing

Part of the suspension means he is still be tested, even while suspended. You don’t have to apply for reinstatement for that to happen.

15. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

I would be beyond surprised if Washington returns to the NFL. We still do not know what drugs Washington was using but Washington certainly knew the rules and knew the consequences of his actions. Plus, he had ample warnings. Still, the penalty seems too severe if it was only marijuana. It is a lifestyle choice not performance enhancing. It seems very odd to me that Greg Hardy is playing and Washington is not but those are the rules.

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

JohnnyBlueNose —

RE: Drug choice

There are two separate policies for substances of abuse and performance-enhancing substances. Washington is suspended under the former.

17. By Juan----- on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Well, at least someone has shed some light in all of this? I am assuming that the NFLPA quietness on this is that DWASH has not fulfilled all his obligations. We can’t even get a dam answer from the Commish.

18. By Scott H on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

So…we continue to know nothing about Washington. At this point, that just seems ridiculous. It would seem that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE should be able to say SOMETHING about this. This is crazy, that an NFL player has effectively disappeared. He no longer exists. He was there….then, there was a problem….and now he’s gone. There is no indication that he will ever return. But the whole thing continues to be guarded like a state department secret. Crazy.

But should we be concerned about how horrific what he did might actually be if neither Washington or a legal representative for Washington are saying anything on his behalf???

Then again….he’s not in prison. No surveillance camera videos or 911 calls or transcripts are being made public…are they??? So…. in this day and age, how is ANYTHING kept this effectively under wraps? This is like that Malaysia flight that went down….somewhere, but no one could find it. Seemed like it vanished from the face of the earth. So, too, has Daryl Washington, linebacker for the Arizona Cardinals.

In regard to cities being “awarded” a SB, I think it is ridiculous that the team playing in that city has to accept a game over-seas as part of the deal. Wow….some “award”, huh? Not for the fans, it isn’t. Seems more like extortion to me. But as long as the NFL gets what it needs, I guess that is all that matters.

Why can’t Goodell disappear and never be heard from again???

19. By Darren Urban on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Hearing nothing

Again, I think people are overanalyzing this. Tremendously so.

It’s spelled out in the CBA how a player can be reinstated. If he’s not reinstated, it’s not hard to speculate why.

20. By Richard S on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

The 2 year old taped game I was watching the other day of Carolina vs. Arizona had Dansby starring in the first half and Washington starring in the second half getting an interception. Palmer got intercepted 3 times. The Cards won something like 22-6. It was Washington’s first game back following a 4 game suspension. His interception showed really good hands. Newton never saw him and then he jumped and with one hand grabbed the pick. If he ever comes back, I hope he has the quickness I saw in that game. What a waste of a career.

21. By Jon Elder on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

D-Wash situation reminds me a bit of Ricky Williams, a guy who just can’t stop smoking weed even when it costs him everything. The policy is ridiculous, but D-Wash is clearly to blame as well. Too bad, guy could have been great.

22. By Richard S on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Oh yeah, in the Carolina game 2 years ago, Calais got a safety.

23. By faster on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

darren, if i understand this right, does that mean, that he got tested during his suspension, and they found again something? can a player be that stupid?

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

faster —

RE: Tested

We don’t know what happened.

But that is possible.

25. By Brandon Johnson on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Whoever handles these situations suck. Other players like Greg Hardy are still able to play but he isn’t? If you are gonna handle situations like this, handle all of them the same way, Dont be a some timer.

26. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: “Handle”

Again, it seems pretty clear the Washington situation has been “handled.” There are rules when you violate the policy for substances of abuse. Washington has to follow those rules. Clearly he has not.

27. By mal on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

@Scott H and anyone else who just doesnt get it:

It is very simple.

DWash can not piss a jar of clean urine.

Ethically and legally no one can come right out and say that publicly — not Darren or Goodell or any reporter — but if the players’ union wont back him, nor even his own agent who gets paid on a percentage of Darryl’s salary, then its obvious.

He chose drugs over football.

Let it go.

28. By Tucsontim on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

I don’t condone Washington’s behavior but I just can’t help but feel that if he played for the Cowboys he’d be out on the playing field and that really p***s me off.

29. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

Look at the DWash situation this way…. He isn’t coming back nor does anyone involved- The Cards, NFL, Players Assoc or his agent aren’t pushing for him to come back. He is done and it is time to forget about him and move on…..
    The only thing further I will say…. Is…. what a waste of talent….

30. By Dr. G. on Nov 20, 2015 | Reply

After reading just a few comments, it is still obvious some fans just don’t savvy the process. Again, Washington has the ball; it is up to him to apply for reinstatement. Until then, the NFL’s hands are legally tied and are bound by the agreed rules to provide no commentary…even though they know there is no action by the player; they can’t say. PERIOD!!

My posted opinion based on inaction for 2 years now is this: DWash IS STILL TOKIN’ UP AND//OR HE FEARS THE ADDITIONAL SANCTIONS COMING FROM HIS ASSAULT “”ADMISSION.”” No mas, no mas…please.

I wish media people would respect the Cincy team enough to pronounce their name correctly…thusly: “”Ben – gals”” not “Bing – gals”” …especially now that our Cards will kick their posterior big time on Sunday…!! Later, Cards Fans..

31. By Dan on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

Lets forget a DWashed-Up……he’s done………what a loser. I can’t even find the right words to describe this idiot. I’m done, he’s crapped on everybody and could care less. Hope the Cardinals get a chunk of THEIR money back.

32. By Eazy E on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

The NFL can really be full of it at times! Give us a damn update Goodell you’re the damn commissioner, not some ”professionals”… No Leadership Skills in my opinion! #Free D-Wash

33. By G on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

This sounds like another “Richard Dumas” situation. He was the Suns player with great talent that ruined a bright future with substance abuse. Hopefully the NFL will let the Cardinals move on soon without impacting the salary cap.

34. By Scott H on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

mal –

Interesting perspective but with all due respect, I don’t know that your opinion means that you “get it” any more than the rest of us.

Darren –

You say over-analyzing……and maybe I really DON’T get it, but what are we OVER-analyzing here? Here’s my question at this point – Ray Rice….Greg Hardy…..Adrian Peterson….Aaron Hernandez…..others……they also fall under the same rules / regulation / protections / standards / requirements of the CBA as Washington, do they not? Yet, the public knows what all of those players did and what penalties sanctions they received from either the legal system and / or the NFL. For any of those players, the public knows what they did and what they got. There is understanding. Meanwhile, Washington is in his 2nd full season away from football and – unless I missed it – we know / understand very little about why at this point.

Really, I don’t feel like I’m analyzing as much as I am speculating at this point. But, what else can I do??? Because no one has really filled in the blanks for us as far as Daryl Washington is concerned. Until that happens, Cardinals fans are not likely to just “let it go.”

35. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: CBA

As a matter of fact, they do not.

Of Rice/Peterson/Hardy/Hernandez, none violated the league’s policy on substances of abuse.

Washington did.

36. By Black on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

He failed another drug test! That’s what happened Goodall can’t come out and say it because of privacy issues but if you read between the lines that’s what it is.

37. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

Darren….I understand that. I think if a player is using performance enhancing drugs then he should be punished. I do not think a player who uses marijuana should be suspended by the NFL. I know the rules I just disagree with them. It should be up to the team to monitor the player’s behavior and or habits and decide if he should be on the team or not. And I’m not advocating in favour of marijuana. I could care less. I just think it’s an invasion of one’s privacy. I have not been made aware of any criminal charges against Washington for drug use so most of us would not even know he was using drugs if not for the NFL’s policy. Why is it okay for players to get drunk on a regular basis? Unless they are stupid enough to get caught driving drunk or get into fights there are no penalties for being drunk. Why is the NFL so hard on pot smokers? Especially when no charges have been laid. But I don’t expect Washington back. I’m just sorry that Mr. Bidwill gave him so much money. Washington cheated him. That’s the issue for me. That and a somewhat wasted second round draft pick. And, I want to salute Adam Jones for cleaning up his act. Good for him. If anyone was on a wrong path it was surely him. Keep going Cardinals.

38. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2015 | Reply

JohnnyBlue —

RE: Marijuana

Why is it OK? We can argue the ethical merits, but in the end, these rules were collectively bargained. The players agreed to them. Sorry, but if you — through your union — agree to a set of rules, I don’t feel sorry for you when you get into trouble by breaking those rules.

39. By faster on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

@brandon, if a player disagree with the NFL policy about marihuana, then he should sue them, i would give him at least a small chance to win and end this policy (i would applaud, i do not understandm why tabacco and alcohol are treated different then marihuana).

but if he thinks, he must take it nonetheless, and then get caught, i have no sympathies for him. thats simple stupid.

once again, if he would have sued the NFL to change their policy, and i bet, at least some companies who deal with medical marihuana would have sponsored him, i would applaud him, but to think he is above the law, i can only shake my head and wish him a nice future without football in the NFL.

40. By 70sCardfan on Nov 21, 2015 | Reply

Its a shame. Imo the best MLB in the league. There,s got to be something going on we,re not being told. For my 2 cents he wants to play elsewhere & is dictating the situation. Alot of these guys smoke weed & get caught either by testing or like the 2 steelers Bell & Blount passing the doob sitting in a car. Being wealthy they can afford masking products to avoid another positive test that can be taken 24 hrs before a test. I,m sure they get at least that much of a warning before a test. To think DWash cant pass a drug test after all this time is a bit far fetched.

41. By Scott H on Nov 22, 2015 | Reply

Darren –

OK. I don’t get it. But it’s game day, so….I don’t need to get it right now.

42. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 22, 2015 | Reply

Darren….I don’t feel sorry for Washington. I think the rule/policy that allows the NFL to suspend someone for smoking marijuana is stupid and something the players should try to have changed. Until then, the rules are what they are.

43. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2015 | Reply

JohnnyBlue —

RE: Rules

Well, it’s still against the law in most of the country, so I don’t see it as a rule that’s out of whack.

44. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 23, 2015 | Reply

Darren…..this is not the place to debate this but I will just say this and then you can have the final say if you want to. I think the NFL is wrong to suspend players for using recreational drugs and I think the Players Association is wrong to go along with this rule/policy. I am all in favour of lengthy suspensions for using performance enhancing drugs. Kick repeat offenders out of the league. Smoking pot is against the law in most states but really, how many people are arrested let alone convicted for smoking pot? Here in Canada we have elected a new government and one of its pre-election promises was to de-criminalize the use of marijuana. Already people and provincial governments are getting ready to start businesses to sell and tax marijuana, just like any other product. For example, beer and alcohol whose consumption were once against the law in your country. As I said, I understand the rules and I am not feeling sorry for Washington. He made a choice and he is obviously happier living with marijuana than he is without it. And he is fortunate that he has the money to live the way he wants to. At least for now. I just think he should be able to smoke pot and play football if he is good enough to play and if he is not an unwelcome distraction to his team. But I do not expect the NFL to change its rules any time soon. Image is everything in the NFL.

2. Nov 22, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Report: “Violations” for Daryl Washington