Considering another flex for Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on November 24, 2015 – 10:53 am

The Cardinals have made it through their “Sunday Night Football” gauntlet of two weeks running. They have at least one more primetime game — their next home game is on “Thursday Night Football” against the Minnesota Vikings. But that might not be the only one. Their games down the stretch might mean something. Whether those games will be free to flex is another story.

As of right now, the game that would make the most sense to flex to “Sunday Night Football” would be the Dec. 27 home game against the Green Bay Packers. Two good teams, likely with something on the line as the Packers battle the Vikings for the NFC North title and with both teams possibly fighting for a first-round bye. Meanwhile, the scheduled “Sunday Night Football” game is Pittsburgh at Baltimore, normally a lock to stay there with such a great rivalry. But the Ravens have lost quarterback Joe Flacco, running back Justin Forsett, wide receiver Steve Smith and linebacker Terrell Suggs all with season-ending injuries. They are struggling anyway. It’s not going to be the same.

Even if Cardinals-Packers makes sense, though, it’s far from a guarantee, because Fox has the ability to protect a game that week and Cards-Pack would seem a natural one to keep. It has national interest, and it’s a good game. The Panthers play the Falcons that week, so it might be worthy of Fox’s protection too — in fact, whichever one Fox doesn’t protect becomes a strong candidate to be flexed. (The Patriots play the Jets that week, but the Jets are fading fast.)

As for Week 17, which doesn’t have a named “Sunday Night Football” matchup — NBC gets to pick a game with playoff implications — the Cardinals and Seahawks is possible, but I’m guessing the NFC West will have been determined by then and there will be other games that mean more (Washington-Dallas? Minnesota-Green Bay? Philly-Giants?)

Flex

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Considering another flex for Cardinals”

1. By lhcflagfootball on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

Great to see the Cardinals getting the recognition. Not playing perfect ball, which is scary to think about. They still are making a lot of mistakes. The good news is, they are fixable. Go Cardinals!!!

2. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    I have never enjoyed a Cardinals season as I have this year ( of course the year we went to the Superbowl is tops ) but what are the Cards Prime time record under BA? I know the networks must love the ratings from their games right now!!!
    STAY HUMBLE BUT HUNGRY!!! Not done till we have that SB Trophy!!!!
    GO CARDS ! TAKE IT ALL THE WAY!!!

3. By JohnnyV on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

Great stuff Darren. Hard to fathom that much national exposure, but certainly overdue and well deserved. Man, this franchise has come a looooooong way.

-Johnny V

4. By D on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

I really don’t think after watching 10 weeks of the NFL that there really are no more than 9 good teams in the NFL right now. My power rankings:

1–Patriots
    2- Panthers
    3- Cardinals
    4- Bengals
    5- Broncos
    6- Packers
    7- Vikings
    8- Steelers
    9- Seahawks (Seattle is still a better team than Atl, Giants, Chiefs and any team in the AFC South)

Cards need to take care of business against all NFC West teams and the home games with MN and GB. First round bye is the goal.

5. By Scott H on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

I certainly could not blame the Sunday Night football network for tabbing the Cardinals again. Because, really – with the Pats now stumbling a bit on offense and Peyton standing on the sidelines, is there a better show in the NFL right now than the Arizona Cardinals? NO! There is not.

OK, some would argue for the Panthers, but….I honestly believe that if I were not a fan of either team, I would rather watch Carson Palmer / Larry Fitzgerald and this passing game than Cam Newton and Greg Olsen. Can’t argue with how efficient the panthers have been. But between efficient and exciting, I’ll take exciting any day.

6. By DTL on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

Mentioned earlier…Cards could run the table rest of year. 14-2? Maybe. 12-4 even 13-3, likely. Nice, huh.

For sure, toughest part of schedule now in rear view mirror; rest tough but none daunting, intimidating…

What we learned Sunday night? SNF, MNF and TNF hard on little kids at game, goes too late! Lol, we’ll deal with it.

What will most likley derail us, in any given game? TOs. Lucky we’re so good we can overcome, and overcame vs. SEA and CIN, but that could catch up wit’ us. More worried about fumbles and strips than INTs.

GO Cards. DTL

7. By faster on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

@D, i disagree, the patriots would be the clear nr.1, if, and a big IF, if they are healthy. now, with edelman, amendola and the half oline out, i would place them at a tied 3.

1 tied panthers and our team
    3. tied patriots and bengals
    5. steelers, i hate them, on my personal like list of the last 15 years they count always last, classless and some cheap, seedy owner (for darren, if you are tempt to censor, look at the washington mutual trail, where a federal judge found colorable claims for insidertrading against teppers company), but they are playing good at the moment.
    6. tied broncos, seahawks, packers
    9. tied vikings, chiefs and the jets, maybe i`m overrating bowles, but i don`t count him out right now.

8. By George on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

I am surprised there has not been a mention or acknowledgement of Larry Fitzgerald surpassing 13,000 career receiving yards. He is also closing in on 1000 career receptions. Do the Cardinals plan to do something if he achieves it at a home game? There is a good possibility it may happen against the Vikings.

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

George —

RE: Fitz

I am sure there would be a mention.

10. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

December 27th, the cards will be only playing for home field. If that is decided, (Panthers keep rollin and Pack/Vikes stumbles) that game could be meaningless too.

3 game lead, with 6 to go and a win over seattle, it would take a cubs kind of collapse. Don’t see that happening with BA.

11. By chango666 on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

@DTL . . . “For sure, toughest part of schedule now in rear view mirror” . . .
    R U serious??? @Rams (always tough), Vikings, Packers and Seahawks still to go . . .

12. By Blake on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

Does anyone realize the patriots record??? I know they’ve been winning and are good but not number 1… Best team they’ve playea is the Giants… Best team they will play is Houston/jets… Neither have a top rated QB along side with a QB… It’s actually humorous when you look back and see why their undefeated… I think Panthers and or steelers are the best teams besides my cardinals!!! And we all know cardinals HATE steelers!!!

13. By Brandon on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

Unrelated to this blog. What’s the deal with Sean Weatherspoon? Maybe I missed an injury update on him but last I checked he wasn’t on IR and he isn’t showing up in the injury reports. I’m assuming he’s still injured since I couldn’t see him benched especially with a safety at LB. Is he really behind both Minter and Buc?

Thanks,
    Brandon.

14. By Darren Urban on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Weatherspoon

No, he is not injured. Yes, he is behind both.

15. By Scott H on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

DTL –

Man, I love your optimism, but…I wouldn’t get too crazy yet in thinking that the toughest past of our schedule is behind us. Not with Green Bay and Seattle ( again ) still looming. Green Bay is going to wake up, mark my words. They have a damn good defense and, well….haven’t we seen first hand what Aaron Rodgers can do??? They are never out of a game with him. I like that that game is here but the indoor setting plays to THEIR passing game as well. If PP is not back and healthy by then…we could have our hands full that day.

And are you really gonna go to sleep on Seattle already??? Wow…not me! I’d love to, but…they ain’t dead yet. They just went toe-to-toe with us last week. And, yes, the better team did win. But that COULD have been a loss and we all know that.

I don’t even want to think about 14-2 right now. I just want a win in San Fran and to be 9-2 after this week! That’s enough for me. I just want to enjoy this ride one week at a time! 🙂

16. By DTL on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

Chango, Scott:

Glad I stirred the pot. Yep, I’m serious…of course, I also could be a badly wrong idiot. But many (including me) think this is the best Cards team ever, top to bottom, that we have a top 3 QB, and if those 2 are true…its reasonalbe to expect these kind of results. Call me crazy😉

PS: Toughest part of sched, imo, was the last 5… we get all of Vikes, Pack and Seahawks at home. Vikes have a dubious QB, Pack now exposed, on Off and Def, and we know what we should do with Seattle. All tough, but all “should” wins… Will we slip along the way? Sure, but not crack, imo. 13-3 reasonble, 12-4 probable, 14-2 possible. Will gentleman’s bet all takers a small donation to Pat Tillman Foundation if I win or lose. Pat Tillman = American Hero.

GO Cards!!

17. By rod on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

ESPN is the only site I can find that has the Cardinals below 3 in the power rankings.

Now nobody can say “win” and ESPN will not be biased because they clearly are.

18. By muderboy on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

With the Cards acing their mid season test, the rest looks extremely doable. Rather not play the Rams because they hurt people, and they probably can’t beat us again with that hot mess they got going on. Our schedule the rest of the way is great with all the really tough games at home. The Vikes, Packers and Hawks will be tough but I see us winning at least two of three, while winning the three remaining road games. this gets us 13-3, and the number two seed. Good enough, and if the Panthers stumble, we’ll be there. We have a tradition here in AZ of ALWAYS getting to the Super Bowl the year after we host it. It’s a fact!

19. By Big Ken on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

Is it me? Can we win out? Run the table?

20. By scott on Nov 24, 2015 | Reply

thought we got screwed when they announced schedule !!!glad we got our 4th well deserved primetime last Sunday!!!

21. By rod on Nov 25, 2015 | Reply

@Big Ken

No it’s not just you, I said we would go un-defeated the rest of the season 4 games ago. I really think it’s possible.

22. By clssylssy on Nov 25, 2015 | Reply

From the looks of things we SHOULD be able to finish strong but I could see us falling for some trap games….like against the 9ers, who we have never had an easy time with in their house, and, who I still consider our chief nemesis in the division. St. Louis is always bothersome, not because of their game, but for their style for taking out their opponents with serious injury. Don’t want to see a repeat of last year where we have a great season, are going into the playoffs looking hopeful only to get kneecapped and effectively eliminated! And,anybody who sleeps on Seattle deserves to lose for sheer arrogance. A lot of teams are much better than their records and when it comes to Division games, records are out the window and it’s ground and pound time to play like it were the Superbowl. The Cards are starting to have some injuries and I just hope that BA doesn’t decide this game with the 9ers would be a good time to “rest” some of our starters. It’s hard to lose but when it’s a Division opponent it’s that much worse and especially if it’s a team who analysts have put a fork in already. Sometimes it’s the little dogs that are the most vicious!
    Love riding the wave of success but have years of unhappy experiences when getting too comfy! We may have shown some of the country we’re for real but we still have doubters to be silenced in the NFC West! Go Cards! Start Strong, Stay Consistent, and Finish Victorious!