Fewer practice throws for Palmer

Posted by Darren Urban on November 27, 2015 – 9:29 am

It’s that time of year. You can tell from the injury report — it’s the longest it’s been all season this week, and that addition of safety Deone Bucannon on Thanksgiving with a concussion makes you pause — and Bruce Arians said earlier this week the Cardinals were going without pads heading into the 49ers game. It only makes sense, as banged up as they are.

There are other places where they are going to be careful. That includes the passes thrown by Carson Palmer in practice. You don’t want to have the quarterback’s arm fade when you conceivably could still have as many as nine or 10 games left to play. Palmer only played six games last season, so he’s already thrown well beyond what he did last year (224 attempts in 2014, 339 attempts this season), although he is in great shape — and that includes his arm.

Nevertheless, Palmer acknowledged there will be fewer throws during the week.

“That’s something completely not in my wheelhouse,” Palmer said. “(Strength and conditioning coach) Buddy Morris is as smart of a guy in that department. He’s been studying it a long time. He understands mechanics. He understands the velocity of throws. He uses all these big words that I’m not even going to get into. He’s a researcher and he’s done a ton of research. Your age, your number of years, how many throws you have typically thrown this time of year or that time of year; whatever it is. There’s an equation he’s drawn out and there’s a certain number of throws we’ll hit, but I don’t get into that. I just do whatever he tells me.”

The Cardinals have been careful at practice in multiple areas. Morris had already put in place a harness system that measures the steps of each skill guy, as to make sure they aren’t running too much in practice. This is just another example of what Bruce Arians likes to call “sports science,” and Palmer isn’t going to argue.

“I’m trusting a professional,” Palmer said. “Buddy is as good as they get. He’s as good as they come in this league. I’ve been around a bunch of great strength coaches, but Buddy is hands down the best. He’s very focused. He’s very concerned with it. It takes up a lot of his day because he’s always talking about it, but I love having a guy like that on our side.”

Palmerthrow

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Fewer practice throws for Palmer”

1. By LadyBird04 on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

Re: D. Bucannon’s concussion, how did it happen, when, what’s severity, prognosis for return to field etc.? Hope the young man is fine and will be able to play at least when we go to Rams.

Injuries are starting to pile up as Daren reports…hope they continue to be mostly minor/short term. Get well guys!

2. By Darren Urban on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

Lady —

RE: Bucannon concussion

We don’t have any details yet.

3. By Big Ken on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

Good stuff on Buddy Morris. Upgrade coach Lott, a bit of a clown.

4. By Tyler on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

Darren:

If Deone Bucannon is sidelined for this weekend’s matchup against the 49ers (which seems all but likely given his concussion), Sean Weatherspoon would be the sensible substitute to start in his place, correct?

Harrowing circumstances — no doubt, but it’ll be nice to see Spoon with actual snaps on defense for the first time this season.

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

Tyler —

RE: Bucannon

If Buc is sidelined, yes, I’d expect Spoon in there.

6. By DTL on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

“… I love having a guy like that on our side.” said C. Palmer

Sports Science, Virtual Reality headsets, finest sports stadium in the world, safest, fastest grass, one of largest, oldest coaching staffs (read SB experience), top young GM …Young Bidwill killing it. Top notch.

PS: Not to mention vision in trading for former #1 overall draft pick at QB, for 2 hammers and a wooden bench…

Merry Christmas.

7. By Dr H on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

Probably a good time for the injured to get some rest given that we’re playing the forty whiners and let the rookies get some reps. More worried about the Rams game and protecting Carson.

8. By Richard S on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

I just read the Pasch article on Bucannon. I see he went to Vanden High School over by Travis Air Force Base. I wonder if he came from an Air Force family or if he’s local I guess he’ll have some hometown fans in the stands for the Niner game.

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

Richard S —

RE: Bucannon

Both Deone’s parents are military.

10. By Robert on Nov 27, 2015 | Reply

Bruce, I am not an expert but smart enugh to see that if Buchanan 215 lbs plays every snap he was going to get hurt. I have not idea why this guys never came out or for that matter Minter. These guys are banging for 70-80 plays. Darren, please see why BA is leaving these guys in 100% of the plays. Stupid in my oprinion