WR Brittan Golden gives DB a shot

Posted by Darren Urban on December 2, 2015 – 10:07 am

Wide receiver Brittan Golden admitted he was surprised when he was told on the airplane ride home from San Francisco he was going to be moving to defensive back.

“I was … ‘OK, whatever. Whatever happens, I’m ready,’ ” Golden said.

It’s not as if Golden has never played defensive back. He played cornerback and safety all through high school, and even a little bit as a freshman at West Texas A&M on the scout team. But he’s a wide receiver. It’s just unfortunate he’s on a team with a lot of wide receivers ahead of him. Playing defensive back — Bruce Arians said Golden would get work at nickel — is a nod toward the thin secondary, with Jerraud Powers nursing a calf strain. It left only Patrick Peterson and Justin Bethel as true cornerbacks, although Tyrann Mathieu can play corner if need be.

So the Cards moved Golden. His use became less likely when the Cards signed veteran cornerback Corey White, who replaced the cut Robert Nelson Jr. (It says something that Nelson, despite being active, got zero snaps even after Powers got hurt Sunday.) Still, Arians is looking for a reason to keep Golden active on game days because Golden is so good on special teams — and the reality is there is no place to play wide receiver behind Larry Fitzgerald, Smokey Brown, Michael Floyd, Jaron Brown and J.J. Nelson.

As for defensive snaps, “it’ll really depend on what they see at practice and if they think I’m ready to be out there,” Golden said. “Of course, I’m going to miss running routes. I’ve been doing that forever and it’s my favorite thing in the world. But it’s another opportunity.”

The Cards have done this before, moving Teddy Williams to cornerback from receiver (Williams, however, had started as a defensive back.) Golden said he just had to work on technique — although Smokey Brown was giving him grief about how many mental errors could pop up.

“It isn’t as bad as, I don’t know what I’m doing,” Golden said.

“In this league, it’s the more you can do and I’m just going to try and see it as an opportunity and a blessing and another chance to get on the field.”

Brittan Golden

Tags:

27 Responses to “WR Brittan Golden gives DB a shot”

1. By D on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

Doesn’t give a Card fan a good feeling knowing both Bethel and Powers (along with R. Johnson) are all UFA at the end of the season. I would think if neither are re-signed then the top priority of the 2016 draft will be taking a CB in the bottom of the first round. Since Bethel is an Pro Bowel Special Teamer, I would make him my main priority to pay.

If a CB get’s released by Dallas with the issues that they have had in the secondary, it should give one pause..

2. By DTL on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

Nothing to do except let this week and the next few play out. I have no doubts on this squad, that said a hiccup along the way always possible…its a crooked ball, afterall.

Like the creativity/resourcefulness of coaches to project Golden like this. Was wondering if AQ Shipley might, hohoho, get some carries if KW had not been activated… lol, couldn’t even get it out of the typewriter before laughing. oh my…How cool it would be to go bowling and get CJ back for it. Never say never. Go Cards.

3. By Creditcard on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

I know Cariel Brooks was released — but why? Preseason is stock was high, the Cards liked his speed and play making abilities. I know the Cards like a taller CB, but seems to me if a player knows the system, can learn, has the raw skill set etc…

another topic, bummer for Chris Johnson and the Cards. Chris Johnson definitely knows how to read holes, catch a ball in the flats and block. Hoping he has a full and speedy recovery.

I expect a very tough game in St. Louis this coming Sunday. The Rams are strong where the Cards are weak. Plus, the Rams are fighting for their coach, their primary QB is returning, and it would make their season to go 2-0 against the Cards.

4. By Darren Urban on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

Creditcard —

RE: Cariel Brooks

Brooks is on IR.

5. By clssylssy on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

Can’t say this comes as a surprise! BG has the toughness and speed but not the experience but yet I’m sure BA would only use him on specialty plays with DJ as the #1 and Stephan Taylor in the mix along with KW. Still, pretty great that we have such talent in the house! Nonetheless, our run game has kept us in the competition this season and so it will be important that these newbies also know how to block and carry the load in helping the offense by being able to be mean.
    Now that things are getting real and it’s getting down to the wire, we are going to need a group of real warriors out there ready to play every minute like the season is depending on it. We need to sweep the Division as a warm up and focus on getting that second seed. I’m sure we’ll meet Seattle more than once if we make it down the road.
    I don’t want the distraction of worrying about all the places our coaches/GM might go next year before we’ve even finished our season! One thing at a time please!
    (I can’t imagine anyone actually choosing to live in Philly over the Valley…or wanting to take on a hot mess like the Eagles after starting something pretty great..stick with the winner!)

6. By rod on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

We are still going undefeated the rest of the way.

7. By Louis Callegari on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

go cards.

8. By Dynosoar on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

One of the Cardinals all time greats was Roy Green and he began as a CB and became a WR. So why not go the other direction?

Three bodies and many a few decades ago I played both sides of the ball. It was because I could run routes and follow receivers on their routes AND I played for the ball on every play.

If receiver the goal was catch the ball and get yards (score) after the catch. If defending the goal was always an interception and then go for a tackle.

Never was big, but I scored a lot.

Brittain Golden is a receiver, if he plays CB like a receiver, Matthieu may have to pick up the pace to keep the interception battle in his favor.

Someone said it, I hope this team plays with the goal of Chris Johnson being able to score a touchdown in a win in one last game this season.

9. By Cody Zarr on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

I’m sure Arians sees something there, or he wouldn’t have made the switch even with all the extra receivers. The man is obviously talented if he’s hung around this long behind what I’d call the best depth in the league at WR.

It’s got to be harder to transition from WR to CB than from CB to WR. Obviously I’m no expert but it seems to be there would be a much higher degree of mental difficulty to the CB position. It’s not just about picking up hots, running a designated route and catching; it’s about dissecting your opponent’s intentions and all the while having the physical prowess to shadow him. It’s going to take a special individual to play both at a high level. Julian Edelman couldn’t even pull it off very well a few years ago.

I hope Mr. Golden succeeds in breaking the mold. It would be awesome to have a dual threat swiss army knife on the team.

10. By Chuck 1 on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy,

I’m trying to find where anyone, other than you, wrote about “the places our coaches/GM might go next year”.

11. By Richard S on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

Brittan Golden is becoming a valuable commodity, one of a small number of Cardinal two way players. My favorite looking back in history was Roy Green.

12. By Marlin on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

Good for him. Golden is being a team player. In the long run, it will benefit him.

13. By Scott H on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

I hear ya, sister! I would hope it wouldn’t take any longer than about 3 seconds for Keim to realize how good he has it here. Really, I wouldn’t imagine he would think about being anywhere else right now. He’s got a great president above him. The Cardinals have one of THE best coaches in the NFL on the sidelines. And under his watch, one of THE best AND deepest teams in the league has been assembled. And this team looks like it will be a serious competitor for years to come. Why would you not want to stick around and see the fruition of your own efforts???

Dream on, Philly! Your organization sucks right now – thanks to the failed Chip Kelly experiment – and you can find your own GM to fix it. Not ours.

14. By Big Ken on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

I like the Corey White signing. A young vet corner. I think this team is a good place for him.

15. By georgiebird on Dec 2, 2015 | Reply

Cards still about the healthiest team in the NFL. Injuries are especially bad when no one can step up to fill the void. The DB situation wouldn’t be so scary if guys like Okafer and Campbell were playing at a higher level.
    It’s ridiculous to think that the Cardinals can do well in the last five games if there are no stars on this team.
    And remember that last week Palmer threw two passes that 49er defenders dropped but a 10 year old would have caught.
    So it’s time for everyone to pick up their game.

16. By Alex on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

OFFtopic a bit…Replacing the injured Jonathan Cooper, RG Ted Larsen (-6.9) struggled for the second game in a row. Larsen was responsible for five total pressures, and earned a -3.3 run blocking grade. He now has a -10.9 overall grade over the past two games. From PFF…Larsen was the worst OG last week according to PFF. So A) pff is bull B) we have the 2 worst OG in the league C) Cooper is better, but the coaches are blind D) No one knows nothing, just trust in Arians.

17. By Crow on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

good for him i like a guy that knows offense and defense……….. let’s bring back the iron man players…. great guy to have on the team!!!!

18. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

This is right out of the Bill Billichek playbook.

Anyone remember Troy Brown, when he was converted to play DB for the Patriot run ? It worked for them.

As for Cooper’s being benched.

First, I wonder if it is because Cooper was beat so easily last year and allowed Stanton to get hurt. Now we play Aaron Donald and the rams again and cooper is benched. Interesting.

But, This guy is not strong at the point of attack and misses assignments way too much. Especially for a 3rd year guy. I have argued with many of you over this pick. It was a mistake from the beginning. Looks like BA has finally decided enough is enough also.

My only question is, why Larsen over Watford? It would seem logical to move Watford back to his original position. That seems disappointing for him also.

Then, I think most would agree that Massie has his ups and downs. Watford or our first round pick Humphries seem to be guys who should be pushing him. But I have heard nothing of Humphries at all.

A few disappointments along the line.

19. By DTL on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

Interesting: Larsen new RG, Coop to bench. Larsen got criticized sorely by nat’l pundits for extremely poor play vs 49ers. How bad is Coop? mental mistakes?? What about Watford? Wow, disturbing, wish I knew more…

20. By Richard L on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

White is Golden!

21. By richard L on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

At some point in time you have to start questioning Keim’s OL first round picks. Coop and Humphries are both bench warmers.

22. By MikeFlorio on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

I just can’t get over that Pass Rush by Freeney!!! That spin moooove oooooooohhhhhh !!! i keep replaying it over and over!

Urb- I will be at the Thursday Night game in the Club section, perhaps we can get a chance to talk about football!

23. By sbrown on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

IMO, they have already moved Watford from back up guard to swing tackle so I don’t think they would try to move him back inside. Watford could be the right tackle starter next season ( Massie would be gone ). Then Humphries becomes the swing tackle as the back up to both starting tackles.

Would not surprise me if the Cards draft another interior lineman in the next draft, just to restock the roster.

Also Cards will need to look at the center position, and the health of Sendlein going forward for next season.

For all the strength the Cards had at the start of the season in the O-line, team needs to find some of that to get through these next 6 – 8 games.

24. By rod on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

On a side note, Honey badger gonna get paid when his time comes!

25. By clssylssy on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

Chuck…
    Actually there was an article on NFL.com speculating that Harold Goodwin would be a likely sought after candidate for a Head Coaching job almost at the same time that Scott H. mentioned that the buzz in Philly was that the fans were REALLY wanting to poach Steve Keim from us, having tired of the Chip Kelly era already.
    But, I am ROTFL at myself for misreading this article (time to put on the readers and put aside the wine) as I thought it was suggesting Brittain Golden be used as a RB rather than a DB…which had a certain kind of logic as he is a WR and I was expecting BA to get creative and shake things up with a few surprises, LOL! As talented and athletic as many of our players are, we are in a unique position to almost expect to see almost anyone playing any position!
    I just want to savor the season and enjoy the ride before having to worry about the “Black Monday” that is inevitable!

26. By krehbieo14 on Dec 3, 2015 | Reply

Alex-
    I agree. If you look at the analytics, benching Cooper makes no sense. To say that Larsen has played better is not comprehensible to me. As I recall, last year after Cooper had a minor injury and was ready, the same thing happened.

2. Dec 4, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Friday before the Rams, and Fitz’s 1,000