Peterson continues to be shutdown corner

Posted by Darren Urban on December 11, 2015 – 11:42 am

Stefon Diggs is having a pretty good rookie season for the Vikings. But he couldn’t do much of anything against Patrick Peterson Thursday night. Diggs finished with just two catches for a scant 12 yards with Peterson covering him most of the game. (Full disclosure — Peterson was flagged twice for defensive holding. Both were declined.)

Tyrann Mathieu has been fantastic this season, and he was again Thursday night. He deserves the national publicity he has received. But with the way Peterson has turned into the lockdown cornerback everyone had been waiting for since he was drafted — this is definitely is best season as a pro — and how much this team would be hurting if he wasn’t out there, Peterson would seem to have the edge as this team’s defensive MVP.

Profootballfocus.com has Peterson targeted just seven times against the Vikings, and he gave up one completion — and that was a seven-yard screen pass to Diggs. Given the play scheme, it would’ve been almost impossible for Peterson to stop the pass. For the season, PFF has Peterson targeted only 55 times in 13 games, and he’s only given up 24 catches. He’s only allowed 309 yards and one touchdown.

By comparison, (in one fewer game) Denver’s Chris Harris is at 53-37-338-0, Carolina’s Josh Norman is at 70-33-296-1, the Jets’ Darrelle Revis is 59-28-281-2 and Seattle’s Richard Sherman is at 51-26-346-1.

The debate of who the best cornerback in the league seems to have died down from where it once was, mostly because Peterson and Sherman have apparently decided not to talk about it as much anymore. Peterson is letting his play do the talking. He’s making a strong point.

PetersonGreatBlog

Tags: , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Peterson continues to be shutdown corner”

1. By Dynosoar on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

Given that Norman’s been targeted at least ten times more and given up comparable catches, yardage and TD’s. I’d give him the edge.

Then again, if other teams are afraid to throw to the other four, maybe that’s an intangible in the debate.

Interceptions would be a good metric to add to the list of data.

2. By Dynosoar on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

Certainly these five are comparable. How can one say any of these men are better than the other. Incredible how crazy good they are.

3. By 'ZonaFan89 on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

Dude somebody hasn’t been watching Richard Sherman this year… there’s no way he’s given up only 1 TD. He was repeatedly beat by the Cards a few weeks ago, and I’ve seen him burned several times this year.

Pat P. is definitely best CB in the game, no contest.

4. By D on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

To me, this 2015 team is better than the 2008, let’s see if they can finish the job. One thing that should help is they will be tested by time playoffs arrive:

Beat Cincy
    Beat Minn
    Beat Seattle (twice)
    Beat GB

If the team can get healthy the next 7 days, get Powers, Rucker, Gresham back maybe Ellington for the final 3, I see great things. I think they match up well for a Revenge game in Pantherland for a trip to SB.

5. By Kev on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

Is this the start of PP’s run to the HOF down the road?

6. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

Kev —

RE: Peterson

This has been a great season. So far. And it’s one. He’s got a long, long way to go for that talk to even start.

7. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

D….I’m a big Mathieu fan and he is a great player and teammate. But from what I saw on tv last night he missed at least two tackles and the Vikings didn’t have much trouble throwing the ball. We won but it could easily have gone the other way. The real season begins next month and we cannot afford to play the way we did last night…..not if we want to win the Super Bowl.

8. By shane on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

im surprised you haven’t brought up the fact that the cards have a chance at 3 1000 WR again this year.. even tho i think it might be hard for Floyd too get there with just 3 games left.

9. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2015 | Reply

Shane —

RE: 1000

Mostly because I don’t think Floyd has a chance. We’ll see.

10. By Dr. G. on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

Darren… PP looked speedier than usual last night. Your quote here, “”Peterson has turned into the corner back everyone had been waiting for since he was drafted…his best season as a pro.”” A nicer way to say he has not been the shut down corner we thought with the preposterous contract as I wrote last week. He is beginning to earn a good portion of what he promised all along, and with some maturity.

I will cheer on all our players and usually follow Arian’s critique. We have other players who earn perhaps more than what they get and still demo great work ethic without the self promo…like Tyrann, Fitz, Calais, Palmer, and many more…

We have a tough schedule ahead; Arians is not taking it lightly. It will be fantastic to take a week off if we can get the bye.

You have been over the top with all your work for the Cards Fans as usual. A Merry Christmas to you and yours…be well.

11. By Perry matherne on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

I love this man,he’s priceless

12. By Dr. G. on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

Oh, I forgot to mention…recently we saw a movie with Sandra Bullock who adopted a young man ((Michael Oher)) who became a good college//pro player. She told him to protect the QB like a family member…short story:: he blocked the opponent all the way into and over the perimeter wall.

When I saw that block by Fitz just continuing to put his opponent on his back and running over him while chasing Floyd to the end zone, all I could do was stand up and LMAO for a long time…just hilarious….good job Fitz…!!!

13. By Scott H on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

D –

Better than the 2008 team? Yes. They are. I would not have agreed with that as of a month or two ago. But I have heard people ( media, analysts, everywhere these days ) that this is THE BEST Cardinals team ever. Gotta say…I have to agree. They have not been that every week, but….over the course of the season, with everything on the scale….how can ya say they’re not?

A great topic for discussion / debate ( pretty heated debate, I would imagine ) would be which players would you combine from the 2008 and 2015 teams to make the ULTIMATE Cardinals team. Right off the bat, think about QB. Who would you pick to be the QB of the ULTIMATE Cardinals team – Warner or Palmer???

At least Fitz would be an easy choice! He spans both teams.

Sendlein would make it by default.

Imagine a defensive backfield made up of PP, the Honey Badger, A-Dub, and….DRC? As long as it’s the DRC of 2008, maybe. Can we reach back to last year and include Cromartie?? Wow!! Cro, PP, Honey Badger, and A-Dub would be a defensive backfield for the ages.

Feel free to chime in, folks.

WR’s? Mine would be Fitz, Floyd, Q, and Smoky. And there would be enough of them left over to have one helluva B-team!

Imagine CC and DD on the same D-line???

Know who is definitely NOT making this team? Butler.

I’d take Catanzaro over Rackers.

14. By georgiebird on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

PP has been saved on several occasions by errant QB throws. But what an improvement over last year. Glad he got the diabetes under control (something we knew nothing about last year)

15. By Piti on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

Sherman was beaten by Olson of the panthers and by Floyd of the cards for TD’s. So he has at least 2 on the season if not more. Those stats on not accurate.

16. By JBLAZE on Dec 11, 2015 | Reply

Mr.MATHIEU is ballin out!!! Mr.PETERSON is ballin out!!! BIRDGANG IS BALLIN OUT!!!!😀

DARREN URBAN? Who does David Johnson remind u of?
    I think a young Adrian Peterson. Or a Marshall Faulk

17. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 12, 2015 | Reply

@ D …. I don’t think it’s a lock that the NFC title game is played in Pantherland. I think that game is played in Glendale.

18. By GMAN on Dec 12, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,I don’t know about you or any other Cardinal fan,but I cried after watching BA’s Football Life.It was emotional for me because I have been a loyal fan for 49 years and elated that BA,Steve,and Michael have made the Cardinals a winner

19. By dynosoar on Dec 12, 2015 | Reply

GMAN,

I choked up several times as well. Especially when his mother choked up.

My favorite Football Life’s so far – Warner, Lombardi and BA. (I haven’t watched them all, waiting for one on Fitz.)

20. By Richard S on Dec 12, 2015 | Reply

You have to hear the placekicker for the Baltimore Ravens let it all out. I wonder if our placekicker has any hidden talents?

21. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2015 | Reply

Did people watch the Football Life program last night?? OMG, I got chills. I swear, no joke, I had chills watching that thing. What a story….I think it speaks volumes about the appeal of Bruce Arians, that he is not even 3 full seasons into his head-coaching career and there is already a Football Life program about him. He is truly a rare bird among pro sports coaches. I think that is why so many people love the guy.

Didn’t realize he he talked to the Bears and they passed on him because he was adamant about bringing Bowles with him as his D coordinator. The Bears liked the defensive scheme they were using and didn’t want to change anything. They passed. BA interviewed with the Cardinals the next day. And the rest, as they say, is history. History in the making…and maybe the best is yet to come.

With Bowles now having his own success as a head coach, it looks like there is already a Bruce Arians coaching tree.

Speaking of Bruce Arians trees, look at the QB’s he has helped develop – Manning, Rothelisberger, Luck, and now Carson Palmer, playing the best football of his career in his mid-30’s under Arians. He CLEARLY knows how to bring the best out of a QB.

Wow…what a story.

22. By mitchaz on Dec 13, 2015 | Reply

I felt very emotional throughout the whole documentary myself, GMAN. Sweet was the segment where Michael Bidwill explains what he was looking for in a head coach. He said (paraphrased): “I was looking for a coach with extensive NFL experience, someone who was very good with quarterbacks and someone who would hold the players accountable.”

Arians:

Extensive NFL Experience: A+

Very Good with QBs: A+

Holds Players Accountable: A+

Michael Bidwill’s Vision: A+

23. By slanidrac16 on Dec 13, 2015 | Reply

Darren , is it possible to get an autographed photo of Bruce Arians?

Thanks.

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2015 | Reply

slanidrac —

RE: Arians

You can send a request to the team’s Tempe facility.

25. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 14, 2015 | Reply

JBlaze,

David Johnson;

I think that early in the year, he was compared to Matt Forte. I think that is very accurate. The gliding way they run, can lower pads or run by you and can catch out of the back field.

For some reason, when talking about great backs, Forte is not mentioned, even though in 8 years he has put up 8400 rushing yards along with 4000 receiving yards off 475 catches and 62 TDs.

I mean that is 1500 yards from scrimmage and 50 catches 8 tds a yr average.

I could see DJ putting up the same type of numbers.

26. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 14, 2015 | Reply

Scott H,

I did not realize that Bowles and his 3-4 was what prevented BA from landing in Chicago.
    Funny thing is, they have now switched to a 3-4, which Jared Allen did not fit and was sent packing to the 13-0 Panthers.

Seems the Bears keep making the wrong decisions.

27. By DieHardCatz on Dec 16, 2015 | Reply

Norman has the edge. He’s got 4/5 ints, 2 for TD, check the tackles#, and he’s forced 6 other ints with his coverage. All that, n he rarely gets thrown at. Plus we’re 13-0.
    Yeah I’m biased. But the #s n points allowed speak for themselves. #KeepPounding #NFLdefensivePOY