Mathieu to IR, Clemons comes back

Posted by Darren Urban on December 22, 2015 – 1:24 pm

The fact Tyrann Mathieu was headed to injured reserve was set Monday when the world found out he had torn his ACL. So to fill the roster spot once Mathieu was officially put on IR Tuesday, the Cardinals re-signed veteran safety Chris Clemons.

Clemons played the first five games of the season for the Cards before hurting his hamstring against Detroit Oct. 11. In need of roster spots at that point, Clemons was first put on IR himself and then given an injury settlement. In short, an injury settlement allows a player to be released from IR and sign anywhere else, and it allows a team to avoid having a player on IR all season (and get paid for sitting out). The settlement is an agreement on both sides on how long whatever the injury might be will take to heal — and then the player is paid as if he remained on the roster that many weeks.

The released player is free to sign anywhere immediately — except back with his own team. In that case, the player can’t return to the original team until the length of the injury settlement has passed, plus six weeks. So you figure Clemons was given a settlement of three or four weeks max, because 10 weeks have passed since he was let go. In any case, he never signed anywhere else, and now he returns to the Cardinals — for whom Clemons had played well on special teams before his injury.

Clemins

Tags: ,

42 Responses to “Mathieu to IR, Clemons comes back”

1. By Scott H on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

OK. Gotta a roster spot that needed to be filled. Might as well fill it with someone who has been here AND can be counted on for solid ST’s play. I mean…heck, if we were gonna even try to REPLACE Matthieu with someone who can do what Matthieu can? We’d have to sign Troy Polamalu. From about 8 years ago!

2. By D on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

Hopefully Honey Badger will still get his Pro Bowl invite for his great season.

3 top plays

3- Fells carrying that defender 10 yrds on his back
    2- Floyd’s one arm catch.

My favorite, D. Johnson’s Walter Payton type TD run. Kid is impressive.

3. By Dynosoar on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

I watched as he made the interception and was excited, then saw his leg hit jarringly, then he fell and his ankle was pointing the wrong way.

Then the replays were in slow motion and I saw it again, but noticed something else. As he was going down Mathieu looked at his knee AND secured a better grip on the ball as he was falling.

What kind of man has the pain he must have experienced and is conscious of the potential injury AND ball control? Tyrann Mathieu showed who he is in that one play as much as any other play all season.

Then I watched a segment on NFL network and all four of the men speaking had mad respect for our HB.

Win for 32. I like it.

The Lombardi Trophy or Nothing at All!

4. By DTL on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

Clemons had looked good. Unreal how Keim, Cards work the end of the roster.

So, Swearinger, White, Clemons…and Golden, to back up DBs. Pretty solid. Can White get it done? Any word on his role, progress? Seemed to get juked a few times (all do, but his seemed early and often). Heard they like White’s as a CB size. Btw, Sweariger plays bigger than 5’10” 210#.

So, 75% chance we play round 1, among 1 of Vikes, Pack or Seahawks … again.

5. By CreditCard on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

First of all happy Holidays to you and family.

Weird question: Does the Cardinals or other NFL teams look at the physical make-up of a player, when it comes to the physiology of a player’s gate, Q angle etc… does the team perform non-invasive arthroscopic surgery to ensure ACL is totally intact?

The reason for the question, if Mathieu tore his left ACL and LCL in 2013, and now his right ACL in 2015 (similar occurrence with Palmer). This tells me the player is more susceptible to this type of injury. I’m not a doctor, but my son is an orthopedic surgeon and we’ve had conversations about this. He does believe some body types are more susceptible to this type of injury. For instance, a person with a very muscular and heavy upper body with thin legs upto the knee would be top heavy causing excessive twisting upon the knee over time.

To me, if a player is construed as being a “keeper” so to speak and is under contract for a lengthy period of time, it stands to reason the team would require non-invasive procedures for those that have high characteristics of injuring an ACL. More specifically, require players to perform certain stretching and strengthening exercises around the knee joints and ligaments.

6. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Physical makeup

Extensive physicals are part of the pre-draft process. They most certainly do not do any surgery to check, however.

7. By Robert on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

my biggest concern this week is Rogers. He is a great QB..we haven’t faced anything like him in many weeks. Plus, i wonder how the team can put this injury behind them, heck, i am having a hard time sleeping let alone putting this behind me. I went to the SB in Tampa and recalling after we lost that i am never going to see the Cards back in the SB…after all the years on those metal benches in Sun Devel stadium, it is unreal…I mean the HB was the man but it can be possible that the team will use that as the final push to the SB

8. By Dynosoar on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

DTL,

according to “PlayoffStatus.com” which takes into account record and strength of schedule of games played AND games to be played, our Cardinals have a 93% chance of a first round bye as the second seed.

All that would change with a loss to the Packers AND Seahawks, but as of now we need one more win for that bye, Packers need two and they have us to play.

We’ve got this.

I am curious your source for the 75% chance we are third seed instead of second. But that’s the scientist in me, trying to see a bigger picture.

9. By 70sCardFan on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

Darren. I,ve heard more than one media person ask the question “Why was Badger still in the game?” Maybe its just the usual Cardinal bashing. Imo this type of thing could happen in practice.

10. By alex red bird on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

I like the idea of Swearinger filling in (based off his performance against the eagles) for the honey badger, more than the idea of someone who was injured, out for a while (sitting on the couch) this whole time…

11. By drblogubc on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

D, you said “The offense in Philly, amassing almost 500 yrds is what we as fans have been waiting for, total domination.” I agree that it was great to see so much offence, especially given the balance between rushing and passing. It was beautiful! I don’t want to put a damper on things but in checking the stats, Cards had 493 net yards but the Eagles had 424. And that was with Mathieu still in there. So other than those first three turnovers, it might have been a much closer game. It is the success that other teams have in passing against our defence that has me worried. In three of the last four games the opponent’s QB has passed for more yards that Carson Palmer. So while all those turnovers have been fantastic, I am not sure we can count on them to win games against teams like the Packers and Seahawks. We need to find ways of getting to Wilson, Rogers etc. or else our offence will have to score at least 30 to 35 points every game to pull out the victories. Looking for Palmer, Johnson and the rest of that offence to keep firing on all cylinders!

12. By Eazy E on Dec 22, 2015 | Reply

I predicted that Clemons would get signed back and I’m glad he did because I like him both on special teams and defense. It is a blessing for Chris, but it really reeks for the Honey Badger! He needs to talk to the outstanding linebacker Thomas Davis of the Carolina Panthers about these ACL injuries and how to conquer them I guess! He’ll come back even better knowing him.

13. By Matt on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Dyno,

I think DTL was saying that there’s a 75% chance that we will play one of those three in our first game. Most likely our first game will be in the 2nd round, but, barring a surprising NFC East upset in the playoffs, and the #6 seed beating the #3 seed, we will play Green Bay, Minnesota, or Seattle again. The math isn’t quite perfect, but I think that’s what he was going for.

14. By faster on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

it`s now wednesday, and i`m still mad with anger. and no, it did not happen in practice, it happened in the last minutes of the dummy bowl in philly. a vital win? or meaningless for both teams? the eagles at least were clever enough not to risk anything, they contrary to our team understand that the next game against the redskins is important for them. but hey, the game against the packers at home is not really important, if we loose we loose only homefieldadvantage and confidence, so what.

and now against the packers without mathieu, and palmers finger.

by the way, how is palmer doing, i have seen the picktures of the finger during the game, and it doesn`t look good. darren, can he play 100%?

johnsons injury looked not serious, is there a confirmation?

15. By faster on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

and i wish mathieu a quick and perfect recovery, sorry he can`t play por bowl.

and i miss rucker and bucannon in the pro bowl selection.

16. By Juan Flamenco on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

David Johnson is the Beast Mode V. 2.0.

No doubts…

17. By Chuck 1 on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Does the Eagles field have natural or artificial grass?

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Eagles field

It is a natural grass hybrid, which means there is some turf weaved into real grass. I don’t think that was the issue.

19. By DTL on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Dyno:

Matt, my consiglierre has it right, right down to the % nuance. I assumed we weren’t playing a Wild card round and I also did a shorthand calc on the 75% estimation [assumed REDSKINS (love that they won their trademark case, btw) would not survive the wild card game]. Lol, thanks Matt, thx Dyno.

Any word on Sunday night flex? Anyone know the deadline (D Urb)? Heard waqs unlikley (think BA said it too) but if NBC has contract right, in their shoes I’d TAKE this game to SNF.

20. By DTL on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Eddie Lacy is a fumbler…so…

21. By Eric G on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

No to calling DJ any thing remotely related to another player, let alone a player on the seahawks. If you want to give him a nickname, fine, but not beast mode v2.

22. By georgiebird on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Once again- the Cards defense even with HB playing is not to be mistaken with the Bears and Giants defense of the 80s. Our rival QBs (like Bridgewater and Bradford the past two weeks) have had their best games against the Cards.
    HB is a great player because he has a feel for the game and HB can anticipate plays well -he’s a bit of a gambler. HB plays the game a lot like DRC and Antrel Rolle, When they gamble right, they look like the best of the best. But there are also the wrong guesses and the bad plays.
    We will miss HB’s anticipation of plays (that is mostly right) but the replacement guys have a good group to keep the party going.

23. By M Hunsdon on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

May the inspired and driving force that is with Ty Also be with you. Out of one (TY) Comes many {Team}

24. By georgiebird on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Not to get way ahead of ourselves BUT an interesting dynamic developing for the playoffs.
    Seattle’s second game will either be in Green Bay in January or Arizona.
    Might that influence how Seattle plays the final game against AZ, if the 2nd bye goes down to that final game.
    Just wondering-

25. By Dr. G. on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

The CARDS just need to get to 13 wins to get so the team can CHILL for the extra week. When I study the playoffs, I’m thinking that it will be a challenge, but we can knock off the Panthers if that match-up comes to the NFC title game. The Panthers have had a “”Cake”” schedule compared to the Cards this year…!!! Check it out…

I see a reasonable situation where Washington loses that awful Division. The Packers//Vikings can swap positions ((unlikely))… And I just don’t see how Seattle moves from #5 reasonably. Also, based upon the Panthers cake schedule this year, it is not outside reason for Seattle, Green Bay, or the NFC EAST winner to knock them out…They all have a good QB… All these teams are beginning to play hard. The Giants should have beaten the Panthers week #15…sick..they got away!!

Well, all the combinations are interesting, but it will be good to get week #16 results in so that we can see where we are…Depending upon those results, there may still be a bunch of unknowns…Later Cards Fans…. What a year…Merry Christmas y Feliz Navidad…!!! Jose Feliciano’s song for the ages….

26. By dynosoar on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

DTL and Matt,

thanks. I was thinking I might be missing something, so I asked and ya’ll answered. The cool thing, our posts complimented each other. Cool!

One of my favorites is that the Washington Redskins are going to change their offensive name, They’ll be the Maryland Redskins since Washington is offensive.

Eric G.,

I agree, give him his own nickname (unless we call him “Beast Mode Who?”)
    (How about David is Goliath or David – The Goliath.)

The Lombardi Trophy or Nothing at All.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Eric G,

Beastmode V 2.0 –
    I completely agree with you. Im all for a nickname but not one already used.

28. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

I thought losing Chris Johnson would really hurt us. Then, DJ stepped up his game and has really become a star for the team.

So, When Honey Badger went down, my first thoughts were, this is going to really hurt this defense. I mean, how do you replace 89 tackles, a sack and 5 ints? Not only that, he is just a flat out playmaker.

Here is to hoping someone steps up and fills the role.

BTW, man did JJ Abrams kill the new star wars movie. That movie sucked. Sorry, had to throw that in.

29. By Scott H on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G.-

I agree. In terms of the REGULAR season, THIS is the week they can bring it to a close and FINISH. Don’t leave it out there to NEED the win against Seattle in Week 17. Finish it NOW. Not that I am afraid of the Seahawks but they certainly do look more alive right now than GB does. But it’s not about that, really. It’s just about whatever the next game on the schedule is and knowing that you lock up the 2 seed and a first round bye by winning THAT game. You lock up YOUR spot in the post-season by winning THIS game. So, go out and get it done.

You put yourself in a position for this by playing at an un-precedented level ( for this organization ) since Week 1. OK. You are in a position for this for a reason. Now, finish it. You’re better than the Green Bay Packers. Play better for 60 minutes and win this game because you can.

Looks like this game has drawn the FOX A-team broadcasters, so I guess it is on TV. Yet another aspect of this season that just feels special….they’ve been on national TV so much. Sweet! It’s about time America got to know this team! Sure beats watching the sorry-ass Cowboys or the fading Saints or the totally over-rated Eagles or the suddenly not-so-special Broncos without Peyton Manning. The Cardinals are now one of THE best-show-in-town teams. And the extent to which they are being pushed into the national spot-light is a BIG TIME show of respect.

But ya know what? To hell with national respect. Give me a SB win!

30. By Tony on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Darren, as the LCL wasn’t torn this time will that impact on whether he wears a knee brace next season? Everyone said he wasn’t back till he was brace free last time, so are we facing the prospect that we won’t see the Mathieu we know until September 2017? That’s the most devastating thought for me. Guys like AP came back from their ACL tears without a brace with no issue.

31. By Darren Urban on Dec 24, 2015 | Reply

Tony —

RE: Knee brace

I would assume he’d wear one, but we’ll see.

32. By georgiebird on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

If Cards beat GB, then BA will definitely rest the regular guys as much as possible.
    Reason is- under those circumstances Seattle will be back to play us two weeks hence.
    Seattle could have something to lay for in the Wildcard- they lost to GB but beat Minn.
    Week 17 could be interesting for everyone. Even if the Cards clinch against GB, the fact that Seattle’s wildcard spot will depend on the outcome of the GB vs Minn game and then possibly Seattle’s game with AZ- this could force the Cards to play the game straight up for the integrity of the league.
    This would happen-I believe- if Minn wins the division.

33. By Red bird of love!!! on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

I’m so stoked about where we are right now as a team and organization,Haven’t commented in a long time. Please can we ditch the away candy cane unis for the old away look. The away Uni is terrible we are killing it right now and our guys deserve waaaaay better.

34. By georgiebird on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

An easy way to look at the Packers’ game. We don’t have HB and they don’t have Jordy Nelson- that’s a wash.

35. By georgiebird on Dec 23, 2015 | Reply

Just watched a great, old football game Cards vs Redskins from 1984 on You Tube, Back then teams did not spike the ball to stop the clock but threw a pass out of bounds that ended up taking a few extra seconds.
    Here’s my question. “why isn’t today’s spiking the ball considered intentional grounding?”
    Thanks

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 24, 2015 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Spike

The NFL changed the rule at some point in the 1990s so that spiking the ball to stop the clock wasn’t a penalty.

37. By Andy Kw on Dec 24, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Is there any chance Kareem Martin could move back to the Defensive End position after the 2015 season?

38. By Darren Urban on Dec 24, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: kareem martin

I don’t see it, but I’d never say never.

39. By DTL on Dec 24, 2015 | Reply

Dyno

Brilliant. I’m going to borrow that Maryland Redskins, lol…Merry Christmas!

40. By Scott H on Dec 24, 2015 | Reply

georgiebird –

RE: We don’t have the HB…

I have a different view, looking more down the road. Hate to do that, but think about not having the HB against the Panthers with Newton or the Seahawks with Wilson. He is THE kind of player you could use to shadow those guys and / or hunt them down.

And I would think that if Nelson WERE playing, he would be covered mostly by Peterson.

Regardless, we don’t have the Honey Badger and we’re playing all these teams anyway, so…we gotta get it done without him.

41. By DTL on Dec 24, 2015 | Reply

Dyno… u r en fuego : :David is Goliath” wow, love dat

2. Dec 22, 2015: Mathieu to IR, Clemons comes back – AZCardinals.com (blog) | Healtyqu