For Christmas, Peterson and Fitz talk bikes

Posted by Darren Urban on December 24, 2015 – 7:00 pm

It was a tale of two Christmas experiences, all about the bike.

Both Patrick Peterson and Larry Fitzgerald said their favorite gifts growing up were bicycles. Their stories are slightly different.

“My favorite gift as a child definitely was a bike,” Fitzgerald said. “The only thing that sucked was, growing up in Minnesota, I couldn’t ride my bike until April. So it sat in the basement, and I would sit on it all the time. I’d set it up on the Yellow Pages so the back wheels could go but I wasn’t going anywhere. It was the best I could do in the basement.”

Fortunately for Peterson, he grew up in Florida.

“I was a bicycle guy,” Peterson said. “I used to get a Mongoose or a Huffy every other year. I loved being outdoors. I wasn’t really a gamer, so I always wanted a bike.”

Wait — a new bike every other year?

“My Grandma would spoil me,” Peterson said. If Peterson wanted a new bike, he got it, and the old one would either be donated to Goodwill or given to another kid in the neighborhood.

Of course, that was when they were kids. Now, Fitz said, he’s still getting great Christmas gifts.

“This is definitely the best gift my teammates could have ever given me,” Fitzgerald said. “To win 12 games in a season, that’s something money can’t buy.”

BikesBlog

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “For Christmas, Peterson and Fitz talk bikes”

1. By dynosoar on Dec 24, 2015 | Reply

I was looking at the above photo and thinking, how many players in today’s league stay on one team their entire career? Fitzgerald will, Wilson tried. How special if this team could stay together for a few years.

I remember my first bike at Christmas, a black Schwinn, my brother got a red one and we rode them in the snow. Yes, we did fall… a lot.

So what do ya’ll think of my submission for a David Johnson nickname. David the Goliath.

Certainly better than Dumpster Dan. (He was known as Big Dan while at Tennessee. That was better.)

Merry Christmas – 12 wins IS a great gift.

2. By Jimbowan on Dec 24, 2015 | Reply

Hey Dyno–
    How bout just Goliath. Seems to fit. Although the young man seems to be David as well given the heatships he’s endourded. A fine young man and he’s a really good athlete to boot. Merry Christmas to all and GO CARDS!

3. By Andy Kw on Dec 25, 2015 | Reply

In 2014, I kept doing mock drafts and begging for the Cardinals to draft SS/LB Deone Bucannon. In 2015, the RB I wanted the most in the 2015 NFL Draft was David Johnson. I am so grateful that the Cardinals got these talented players!

4. By Scott H on Dec 25, 2015 | Reply

Great stories about the bikes! Love stories about favorite Christmas gifts as a child. I really relate to that. That is what makes A Christmas Story such a great movie and timeless classic. I watch it 2,3, 4 times every year and it never gets old. It captures everything about what was SO great about being a kid. But at this point, I’m also relating to how that movie also captures the experience of the parents as well.

Great stories. Not un-like the great story we have unfolding right here with our football team! The 12 wins are great but I want at least one more. Heck, I want them to go hard after the last game against Seattle as well – regardless of circumstances – but we really do kinda NEED 13 to get that first round bye. The team that needs to lose for us to get that is the team we play on Sunday, so…we got work to do. This game means everything for the Packers, so we know they’re comin’ to play.

I recently ran across some interesting stats that I was clearly not aware of. Or, clearly, I did not remember. Such as –

– the fact that the previous record point total for the Cardinals was 427 from 2007. I would not have guessed that. But I do remember that once Warner took over for Leinart that year, this offense started to cook. BTW, the 2015 team has already shattered that record with TWO GAMES YET TO PLAY! 445 points and counting.

– the fact that the record number of total yards in a season for the Cardinals is 6,348, set by the 1984 team. Again, I would not have thought of a mid-80’s Cardinals team as being that dynamic. Not like they were a great TEAM….but at 5,920, the current team is only 428 yards off that mark. I’m thinking that record will fall on Sunday.

With a season-record number of wins already in the bag, these are definitely some great days we are living right now. Not just great – HISTORICAL.

We are also currently witness to the greatest Cardinals coach ever….the greatest Cardinals WR ever….and what is becoming the greatest Cardinals QB ever.

Lord, PLEASE let it all lead us to the greatest SEASON we’ve ever had. A Super season, if you will. 🙂

5. By Richard S on Dec 25, 2015 | Reply

Living in a town of 250 people, the last time my sister and I counted them, my friend hopped on my bicycle and I chased after him being a full block behind him going to the ball park to play catch. The next thing I saw was my friend going sideways being pushed by a car on State Highway 100. He survived and became a Phantom pilot for the Air Force. The guy who hit him bought him a new bicycle. It was my bicycle.

6. By dynosoar on Dec 25, 2015 | Reply

Jimbowan,

yeah, I read his story a few weeks ago on this site and his mother instilled in David the same humble, I can conquer anything or anyone with God by my side attitude David had ALONG with the irresistible force (unless a slung stone is involved) and confident ability of Goliath.

That and I love a good/bad pun and/or play on words.

Not that he needs one. Carson Palmer, Larry Fitzgerald, Kurt Warner, none of them have a nickname, so David Johnson works very well. (I just don’t want Beast Mode 2.)

7. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 26, 2015 | Reply

Larry says winning twelve games in a season is “something money can’t buy”. Michael Bidwill may disagree. He won’t complain but he may disagree.

8. By Scott H on Dec 27, 2015 | Reply

Dyno –

I agree with ya all over the place. DJ doesn’t need a nickname. And if we were going to consider any for him, I want no part of the words “Beast Mode” being used. Those words are already clearly associated with the enemy. And, frankly, I never liked that name anyway. No thanks.

Heck, just referring to him as DJ is more than fine with me. The media does their own thing, but I don’t care about that. All he NEEDS is to keep looking good playing RB for the Arizona Cardinals. And holding onto the ball.