Keim: Palmer “as tough as they come”

Posted by Darren Urban on December 28, 2015 – 8:12 am

GM Steve Keim said he knew some were concerned about quarterback Carson Palmer after he hurt his right index finger in Philadelphia, and acknowledged Palmer did have to adjust a bit to account for the finger against the Packers. But he said he wasn’t surprised Palmer went out and played well despite being nicked up — Palmer “is like a machine,” Keim said during his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7 Monday — and Keim never saw anything watching the video that made him think Palmer was impacted by the injury.

“He’s as tough as they come,” Keim said.

Mostly, Keim had nothing but praise for a team that slapped around the Packers Sunday.

— Keim said that was the closest the Cardinals had come to playing a complete game this season. The Cards have won nine straight. It’s amazing to think the Cards, at 6-2, were considering such a daunting second-half schedule. Thus far, they are 7-0 in that stretch.

— Keim noted the intelligence of defensive coordinator James Bettcher, saying that one of the things he likes of all the coaches is that they cater to players’ strengths. As for Bettcher, he liked the fact he took some things from former boss/former defensive coordinator Todd Bowles but “at the same time, he’s true to himself.”

— The discussions between Keim and coach Bruce Arians about whether to rest players in the regular-season finale will go on the next day or two.

— The third-round pick of running back David Johnson continues to look incredibly smart. “Every week he continues to amaze me,” Keim said. “Some of the things he does athletically for a big man … he makes things look so easy.”

— Another good game for safety D.J. Swearinger, highlighted by his forced fumble to start the second half. Keim liked the performance, and it again looks like a smart pickup for Keim.

— Keim, a man who loves his men in the trenches, said he thought the offensive line played “excellent” and the defensive line rotation showed exactly why the Cardinals brought in so many guys, in order to stay fresh.

Tags: , , , ,

39 Responses to “Keim: Palmer “as tough as they come””

1. By joe holst on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Looks like Kareem Martin is in the mix and played extremely well. Here are the teams in order that they want to avoid in the playoffs although they will wup up on all of them. (1) Seattle (2) Minnesota (3) Carolina (4) Washington (5) Green Bay

2. By Eric G on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Play the starters in the first half. It’s highly improbable that Carolina loses to Tampa Bay at home. Carolina may have the game locked by half time, so make the judgment call then. If its close, play the starters the entire game.

Go Buccaneers!!!!

3. By Jon on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Shouldn’t they play their starters since Carolina game is now flexed?

4. By Dynosoar on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Two thoughts,

I watched a graphic across the screen last night after David Johnson made either a great play or his TD, I don’t remember which. It flashed for five or six seconds “Beast Mode JR.”

how can we stop this before the media keeps it going? (Unless David likes the mantra.) I just feel it’s disrespectful to Marshawn Lynch saying in affect you’re through and here’s your replacement AND it also puts David Johnson, who is his own man in the shadows of Lynch for the rest of his career and is therefore unfair and disrespectful to David as well.

Maybe DJ stands for Darth Johnson (except he’s a Cardinals player, so he isn’t on the dark side.)

Second thought, I’m fine with fans of other teams being in the stadium. If everyone liked our Cardinals all other teams would fold and then who would we play? And if we play our game, our opponent has to recognize their fan base in our stadium quieting down which should take the wind out of their sails and make a victory that much more profound.

We should dominate the stands, but let others enjoy watching their team, they allow the league to exist so we have someone to play.

My thoughts are over. Thanks.

5. By Dynosoar on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

I don’t want to avoid anyone in the playoffs, bring them all on. We have to face anyone and everyone for three playoff games if we want more than just t-shirts and hats.

I loved watching Redding’s Flair!

6. By D on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

As Cards fans, we only get to see them blow out an opponent every 5-8 yrs, except for this year. Normally we see them spank a bad QB, but yesterday’s beat down was the first one I can remember where the Cards actually beat a top 5 QB in his prime. Yes, they beat Rodgers in 2009, but this game was a domination, the GB line looks like the Cards Oline in years past..

I think BA and Mr. Keim will need to have someone watch the Panther game during the Card game and as soon as it appears that the Panthers will win, to pull C. Palmer. Although the Oline played great yesterday, all it takes is one Seattle defender to get through and hit Palmer a little bit more nasty than needed and this dream season may end before we get to raise the trophy in Santa Clara..

That may have been C. Campbell’s best game as a Card.

7. By Steve on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

When will we know what day/time we will play in the divisional round? Are the dates announced after week 17 or do we have to wait until after the wild card round to know when?

Thanks,

Steve

8. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Playoff date

Likely will have to wait until after the Wild Card round. TV dictates dates, and matchups matter for TV.

9. By Marlin on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Cardinals Season Ticket holders should NEVER show up to a game in the opponent team’s colors. Period.

10. By Dynosoar on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Marlin,

serious question.

Background scenario first: Let’s say I’ve been a Cardinals fan since ’77 and have never lived in a city with an NFL stadium. I move to… Oh, Chicago and can now go to games. I purchase season tickets, not because I like the Bears, but because I like football and enjoy the stadium experience.

What jersey am I going to wear to a game. Certainly not a Bears jersey.

Yeah, I’m going to wear one of my Cardinals jerseys to every game I attend AND definitely to a game featuring our Cardinals.

My serious question, according to some I should NEVER do that. How am I in the wrong?

(I will respect BA, Fitz and everyone else their beliefs, I just don’t see how it’s wrong to wear my team’s jersey to a game, regardless of who’s on the field. Perhaps it is in poor taste or inflammatory and it’s certainly bordering on unwise, but wrong???)

How is it wrong? I understand others feel it’s wrong, I just don’t understand this feeling myself, so please help me understand your point of view.

Thanks.

11. By Dr H on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Todd Bowles taught Bettcher well but I think Bettcher is more imaginative and creative with his play calling….excellent job……hate to have another team snatch him up…..hopefully he wants to learn from the genius Arians and stick around for a long time.

12. By CC#93 on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Darren, any word on when playoff tickets will go on sale. Also, that 15yd penalty on BA was hilarious. I love when he goes off on the refs like that. I bet you have heard some funny stuff around the facility out of BA.

13. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

CC#93 —

RE: Playoff tix

Still no official word on when tix will go on sale. Season ticket holders are being contacted first.

14. By Scott H on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

RE: Games being flexed

Wait….is there actually a Sunday Night game in Week 17?? I thought ALL games the last week of the season were played in the day / afternoon to prevent short weeks for anyone going into the Wild Card round weekend. Yes?

Darren, can you clarify?

If not, I heard from someone today that the Vikings / Packers game was the one that was being flexed….

Regardless, I’m thinking we will know the outcome of Panthers / Buccs before our game starts. And expecting that the Panthers will re-group and win that game, I say rest everybody. Heck, I wouldn’t even mind seeing Barkley play for a half or so. Because I don’t want to see an injury to Stanton during a meaningless game, either.

If there any milestones that anyone can reach with a catch or two, or anything else that can be reached quickly, then give those guys a chance to wrap it up.

Other than that….rest everyone. It WOULD be pretty damn cool to have a 14-win season, though….hey, I don’t think Seattle can accomplish anything at this point, so let’s play to win no matter who is on the field.

But if the Buccs pull the up-set??? Load the guns! Get that 14th win AND the top seed!!

Regardless, I will be in the house, sitting among you on Sunday! 🙂

15. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Week 17

No Monday game. Always a Sunday night game.

Also, TB-CAR was already flexed to a 4:25 ET start to coincide with AZ start so there is still something up in the air.

16. By Dobie on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

It is called cram Matthews it bit you in the ass

17. By Pat on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Darren – this is completely irrelevant, but if BA and SK do decide to sit some of our starters, or even backups this week, do you think they’d give Shaq Riddick some snaps? I’d be curious to see how well he can play, especially if we end up needing to activate him sometime during the playoffs.

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Pat —

RE: Riddick

Arians said he won’t sit guys.

19. By Robert on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Lots of “packer fans” at the game..very loud and obnoxious until they started to lose..then they were pathetic just like the Steeler fans when the cardinals took the leed in the super bowel ion the 4th quarter. My buddies and i really let those pathetic cardinal fans..NOT i mean packer fans let them have it. A bunch of us were calling them out to sell their tickets to real cardinal fans and NOT to show up as cardinal fans next home game. How embarrassing that we needed or were prepared for a silent count at a home game. After half time no need for that since they all left which tells me that they were not cardinal fans but just bought the tickets from pathetic cardinal fans who sold their tickets. Makes me want to throw up or punch a few packer fans. I recall growing up in Ny if you showed up with another teams jersey, then it was going to a LONg day for you..win or lose. The careidnal fans need to step it up and give this GREAT team 100% of our support.

20. By DTL on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Playoff tix: got an email noting a charge to my credit card from Cards ticket office last night. Cards front office doesn’t mess around!

Cards stoned the Pack: Pack fans were silent, and in awe😉 Best way to shut them up, stone ’em, early and often. Wow. 10 sacks (JP penalty was dubious call). (Watched game replay, Aaron was talking to himself, lip quivering).

“Savage Season” energy: Honey Badger infused. What a game, what a season, what a team. “we haven’t done anything yet”. Lol.

21. By GG on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Scott H.
    Quick thought, Seattle could very well compete cause a win or a loss dictates whether they end up playing vikes, pack, or Washington. I certainly wouldn’t want to go into freezing Minn or Wisc.

I was at the game, tons of packers fans but you could definitely tell it was the cardinals stadium. Home crowd was way louder than the visitors from the first drive on.

22. By jeff ford on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

2 quik opinions:

plz dont refer to david johnson as beast mode jr-he is way more classy than lynch

i guess u cant keep fans from wearing other teams jerseys-at least in arizona- but i would not allow any signs or posters for other teams. i have to think that if 200 card fans showed up in the cowboys stadium that we wud not b allowed to bring in signs. i have been cards fan since 1970…i lived near st louis from 2000 to 2009 and was politely informed that i wud not b allowed to wear a plummer jersey into the stadium nor was i allowed to bring in a sign which had no profanity or disrespectful stuff on it

i personally would never sell a ticket to another teams fan. in fact i think that its pitiful that aws many of other fans show up at our games..cards stadium is.by far the worst in nfl for this.

23. By Richard S on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Darren, I think I saw a couple of instances in the game where the Cardinals had too many men on the field on defense. I’m not sure who were the extra people. Was this related to the rotation due to the Tyrann injury or was it say linemen being replaced? Oh it looks like the system will have the Cardinals #1 for the first time since I started updating it going back well before 1997 when I first got a computer and could use a spreadsheet to update it. Before that I updated the system by hand. It’s great to see a winner after enduring moments like watching Joe Montana saying things like “Well it’s only the Cardinals” after being praised for a victory.

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Richard S —

RE: 12 men

They did have a couple of those penalties later in the game. I do not know why it happened or with whom.

25. By Scott H on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks. By the time I got your reply, I was already aware that the Buccs / Panthers had been flexed to a late game ( same time as ours ).

So, we will NOT know exactly where we stand. OK. Hmmm….ABOVE ALL ELSE, I want to be healthy for the post-season. Period. If that is the priority, I am OK with how ever we decide to play Sunday. We already have the first round bye and the only road game we would have to play would be in Charlotte. That does not concern me. This team can play with the Panthers anywhere. Really? This team can play with ANYONE anywhere ( although I really wouldn’t want to have to play in a cold weather city in January ).

Not that I wouldn’t want home-field throughout, but….having our key guys healthy has GOT to be priority one.

It occurs to me that IF we ended up playing in Charlotte for the NFC title game….and we won….the celebration would take place there instead of in our house. OK. Not the ideal. But ya know what? We HAVE had a title game celebration in our house. And it was awesome. But we have NOT had a Super Bowl celebration and THAT is the party I want to have.

I’m being simple about this, I know. But I think about a choice between us being as healthy as we can possibly be ( not risking injuries next week ) and being home throughout the playoffs. And I choose being healthy. Because if we are healthy, it doesn’t matter where we play.

All that being said….I’m pretty sure we will take the field fully loaded and playing to win. Where it will go as the game goes ( and with whatever the scoreboard says )….I have no idea. But the coaches will have a plan, the players will know the plan, and it will be OK.

26. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Playing Sunday

Arians made it pretty clear today how he’s leaning: All in. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cardinals%E2%80%99-No-1-Decision-No-Rest-No-Rust/3aa7a376-c190-485a-9805-91ecbaf9c736

27. By Richard S on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

29 MIA(11) 84.29 -13.89 -10.89
    30 CLEVELAND(27) 83.81 -13.69 -10.69
    31 SANFRAN(25) 82.92 -5.54 -2.54
    32 TENNESEE(31) 79.27 -7.15 -10.15
    9/16 correct in week 16
    After week 16, 155/240 64.58%
    Initial ESPN power rank in parenthesis after team name.
    Inside the NFL correct picks after wk 15 B. Esiason 142/224,
    Phil Sims 141/224; the system above 146 correct out of 224 games
    Cards move #1 spot for first time ever!! Since system start circa 1992
    when it was started for office pool.
    Cardinals wkly. rating 13/12/7/5/5/3/3/3/3/4/2/3/4/3/6/3/1

Actually after seeing Minnesota and Green Bay the last few weeks, I doubt that the system is calling that game right, but the numbers are what they are. They don’t take into account injuries to a right and left tackle like Green Bay had. The Cards jumped up because other teams around them stumbled while the Cards stomped the opposition.

28. By CARDS62 on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Keim – Freeney what a pickup and Swearinger is flying around the field.

Any talk about this game has to start and end with the defense. C Campbell dominated. 9 sacks do you believe it 9 sacks???? and we were only bringing 4 or 5. Freeney, K Martin, and others were also coming. I like 44 Golden rushing the QB, but sometimes he crashes in too far and leaves the outside open so will be interesting to see how Golden and our defense plays against Wilson. P. Peterson awesome again, Bethel great interception at a critical time and played well all game. Entire defense just great. Won this game and the first 49ers game by themselves. Just great defense and our coordinator doing a great job.

Offense quickly Johnson is so impressive and fans he carried the ball so much in college that he will be fresh for us all the way to the Super Bowl.

Tackles Veldheer and Massie both had their best game of the year. Clay Matthews never got near Palmer when Palmer was in the pocket.
    Can not wait to see how they play against Seattle speed rushers next week.

I hear the talk about all the packer fans at the game but from watching it on TV the background was always a sea of red and when they panned the stadium you would see pockets of Packer fans but they were always surrounded by a sea of red, and I definitely heard our fans at the right times.

I know we want home field all during the playoffs, but part of me really want to see our defense play Cam Newton this year and I just do not see the Bucs beating Carolina. Never been a huge Cam fan but he is playing great this year with his best WR being Ted Ginn so I like our chances and think it will be a great game plus we have already played Seahawks, Vikings, and Packers.

What a dream season. Go Cards beat those Seahawks. Oh and those Rams are the strangest team in the NFL.

29. By Anish on Dec 28, 2015 | Reply

Everyone – Any word on the dates and times of the Playoff games. I live in LA but if tickets are available on time, I would love to travel back to Phoenix. Thanks in advance!

30. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

Anish —

RE: Playoff dates/time

The game will be on Jan. 16 or 17, but it likely won’t be determined until after the Wild Card games. Matchups matter in scheduling.

31. By Marlin on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Its not about the team. Its about the community. I moved here from San Francisco. Had season tix for the 49er’s for years. When I bought Cards season tix I became a Cards fan. Period. Because this is the community that I live in now. Its about community pride. Its not about a business franchise. You may be too young to “feel it”…… But franchises move. Cities don’t. I can see a fan from another team coming to a game and wearing their colors. But NOT a season ticket holder. Once you buy that season ticket…..you are controlling that seat for the year! You should respect the community.

32. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

Weird… after all the jockeying for position, I’m not sure I’d want the #1 seed at this point.

To be honest, none of GB, Minnesota or Washington scare me, but Seattle still does (notwithstanding their loss this week). I think they are the only team that could beat us in our first playoff game.

I expect GB to beat Minnesota, which means Seattle is the #5 seed unless we beat them. And if we beat them, then that means they are #6, and we might be #1 if Carolina loses… which means we (and not Carolina) would face Seattle in our first game if they advance.

Even weirder, look at the situation for the Packers. If they win, that means they are division champs… which means a date with Seattle if we beat Seattle. Or, if they lose, it means they are the #5 seed and go to Washington. Sure, a home game at Lambeau in January seems attractive, but I think I’d take my chances going on the road to Washington over home vs. Seattle. It’s almost like being a higher seed can penalize a team this year.

33. By JBeecham on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

Marlin,

There are so many factors that affect what fans are in the stands.

1) Ticket brokers own a lot of the season tickets… I would estimate around 5-10K & they sell to whomever is going to pay the most money (usually visiting fans). This alone could’ve accounted for the # of GB fans in the stands. If I was in GB, I would love to come to AZ & get out of the weather there.

2) The Packers fans always travel well…. everywhere.

3) AZ is a melting pot of transplants escaping cold weather places like GB, Minnesota, Chicago, etc so those fans will always show up… it might be the only game they go to this season.

4) This game happened during the holidays when a lot of people are out of town. Plus, it was a big game so re-sale prices were high & some people could use the extra money around Christmas. As much as I hate to see a lot of opposing fans in the stands, I don’t blame anyone for selling this game.

5) The Cardinals have had a few great seasons in the last decade (2008, 2009, 2013-15), but they haven’t had the sustained success to really create 60K+ die-hard fans (with wait lists for season tickets) that will never sell their tickets. That kind of following usually only comes with teams that have been perennial playoff contenders & have won superbowls. I think Keim & Michael Bidwell are on the right track, but it takes time. Obviously they need a QB of the future in 2-3 years to take over for Palmer to maintain that success (or to pick up another Carson Palmer level veteran for another 5-6 years). I’m hoping their sights are set on Andrew Luck since it seems like things aren’t going well in Indy & he might have a good relationship with Arians.

34. By Dynosoar on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

Marlin,

thanks for your insights and thoughts. As to being “too young to feel it,” I became a Cardinals fan in ’77, they were in St. Louis. I have St. Louis memorabilia, I have Phoenix Cardinals memorabilia and now Arizona (although, the move from Phoenix to Arizona was not really a move).

I’ve seen plenty of franchises move, even our Cardinals.

35. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: E-mail

I sent you an e-mail.

36. By Bill Lehman on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

What is happening here in Bird Land is really special and winning the Super Bowl would be a dream finish. Not all fans get to support a team comprised of so many team players who make you feel good to support. #32 is just one of many inspiring players who even as he goes through a tough injury he is all in for the Team’s success.

RED SEA still RISING!

37. By Richard S on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

Sometimes fans of other teams keep the team from moving. I know years ago being a St. Louis Cardinal baseball and football fan I attended many San Francisco Giants games at Candlestick because they were having trouble drawing fans and I was afraid I wouldn’t get to see my Cardinals if they moved. They only drew about 480,000 fans that year and I attended so many games that I actually won Sunday season tickets to watch them. I bought a pencil from a guy selling scorecards so I could fill out a chance to win and when I sat down the guy next to me asked to borrow the pencil. I said “Sure, but I’ve already filled out the winning ticket.” When the 7th inning came up my name was on the scoreboard in letters 7 feet high. He didn’t believe it was me, so I showed him my driver’s license and then I joked that “These things are rigged you know.”

38. By mike in mesa on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

Keim and Arians forgot to say he finally gets it. He now understands their system. Its the excuse they seem to use when the better player finally gets to play.

39. By Scott H on Dec 29, 2015 | Reply

Kevin –
    I hear ya about Seattle. They don’t SCARE me, really….it’s more about knowing full well how the Seahawks can play and knowing how many times they have beaten us in recent years.. Albeit, not as often with Palmer under center! Wilson has been on fire as of late and HE does scare me. It’s like the Seahawks are a completely different team all of the sudden – an offensive juggernaut with a QB throwing 4 TD’s every week and a defense that is suddenly, well….pretty ordinary. And if Lynch is up to playing like his usual self when he returns, they are only better. BUT I question how physically capable he is at this point. Hopefully, whoever they play first will beat him up a little.

Honestly – and I mean this – I would NOT be surprised if Seattle went to DC and lost to the Redskins. The Redskins have played VERY well at home and they have truly found a groove with Cousins. They’re playing solid D as well.

I can also see GB taking Seattle out as well. The Packers are NOT as bad as they looked last Sunday and I would think they would want to make amends for that tragic collapse against Seattle last year in the playoffs. The Packers will probably be glad to actually get the Seahawks in THEIR house, for once.

Frankly, I think the Vikings can take Seattle out as well. Lord knows they would have revenge on their minds after that beat-down the Seahawks hung on them a few weeks ago.

I think anyone Seattle plays in the wild-card round could dispose of them, and seeing them out of the picture would be just fine with me. The Cardinal are more capable of taking Seattle down than anyone. But why not let someone else have the pleasure? 🙂

And I’ll be honest – the LAST team I want to lose to come playoff time is the friggin Seahawks.