Fitzgerald at the forefront of jersey swapping?

Posted by Darren Urban on December 31, 2015 – 2:38 pm

Long gone are the days in the NFL when there was little or no personal interaction postgame. Win or lose, many players come together to say hello when the clock hits zero, as former college teammates, teammates at one point in the pros, or just friends they’ve made throughout their time in the league.

And some take the time to swap jerseys, giving each player a memento from the other. Larry Fitzgerald has done this many times. In fact, “I was probably one of the first ones to start doing it,” the wide receiver said Thursday.

The first time was in 2005, when Fitzgerald, at that point coming off his rookie season, asked for and got the cleats of then-Broncos wide receiver Jerry Rice after the preseason finale — a game in which it turned out was the last time Rice stepped on the football field as a player. He did the same thing with Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown, Buccaneers linebacker Derrick Brooks and Giants defensive end Michael Strahan. (And pictured below, swaps with Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and then-Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall.)

“Some of the guys I really looked up to,” Fitzgerald said. “I started collecting some things and it grew from there.”

He’s swapped jerseys with Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, asking him prior to the game they played, but other times, Fitz said he doesn’t know the player and simply asked afterward, telling them he respected the way they played and it would be an honor to have their jersey. It probably helps that Fitz has some name recognition and a jersey worth getting himself. And Fitz understands not all situations postgame are the right situations in which to ask.

“I am respectful,” Fitzgerald said. “I have some couth and some tact. I know when to ask and who to ask.”

FitzJerseyBLOG

Tags:

15 Responses to “Fitzgerald at the forefront of jersey swapping?”

1. By Dr. G. on Dec 31, 2015 | Reply

In days gone bye, this would be an insult to the seriously loyal fans, but now players move around so much that, although we cheer for a single team, the entire league is just terrific entertainment.

So, I don’t care what the players trade as long as they play as hard as Fitz does. He can run over you in the game, and then ask for your jersey…some humor in that… I wish he could be an influence on the player I sometimes critique… Special season CARDS FANS…!

My best to you, Darren, for 2016…

2. By Mark on Dec 31, 2015 | Reply

Speaking of jerseys? Any chance the cardinals wear Red on Red this sunday?

3. By K-Dub on Dec 31, 2015 | Reply

Speaking of jerseys. Darren, What is the jersey combo for this Sunday?

4. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2015 | Reply

All —

RE: Jersey

As far as I know, it’ll be red on white.

5. By Steve on Dec 31, 2015 | Reply

Darren, like the players greet other players before and after games, do you get a chance to hang out a bit with other teams beat writers when on the road?

6. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Beat writers

Depends if I am friends with them or not.

7. By georgiebird on Dec 31, 2015 | Reply

Swapping is only for a guy like Larry who has been with the same team for his entire career. Does Ted Ginn Jr. swap and sign his Dolphin jersey or his Seattle jersey or his Cardinals jersey or his 49er one?? Could just see Peyton Manning offering an opponent his Broncos jersey and having the opponent request the Colts jersey instead- mail order anybody.

8. By syncro9z on Dec 31, 2015 | Reply

When are the cards going to go throwback to the awesome Phoenix Cardinals uniforms… Those were hard days.. And it would be nice to see them win with the current crew for all of us old school fans.. Darren pass this up!! Die hard from Denver.

9. By dan on Jan 1, 2016 | Reply

Shaq Riddick still a cheerleader? I think its safe to say he was a bust……..I know its early but I knew he was bust when they called his name

10. By clssylssy on Jan 1, 2016 | Reply

It doesn’t surprise me that Fitz would be at the forefront of jersey/memorabilia swapping , which,as a fan I love to see, because it shows that there is certain brotherhood and civility among players beyond the field despite the sixty minutes they give it their best to win the game. Fitz is a class act and it makes me proud to have him as “the face of the Arizona Cardinals”. I believe in leading by example and jersey swapping (seen at all levels of football now) demonstrates that people can come together despite differences and perhaps Larry has a future in politics!
    It always makes me feel proud of players like Ted Ginn Jr,DRC, Hightower,Boldin, etc.,who have found success after Cardinal land as I feel we contributed to their success. This is a quality organization that gets represented elsewhere throughout the league! We may see Andre Roberts in the playoffs even as well as Ginn!

11. By Guy on Jan 1, 2016 | Reply

************* BULLETIN ——– THE CARDINALS DON’T PLAY WELL WEARING THE BLACK JERSEY…BESIDES, WHOEVER HEARD OF A BLACK CARDINAL??…THE ALL RED JERSEY AND RED PANTS LOOK GREAT AND THEY TRULY LOOK LIKE MEAN RED CARDINALS !!!!!

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2016 | Reply

Guy —

RE: Uniforms

BULLETIN: WHAT UNIFORM A TEAM WEARS HAS ZERO TO DO WITH HOW A TEAM PLAYS. ZERO.

13. By Mike G on Jan 1, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren–Happy New Year! Interesting how Fitz collects these jerseys. He is a real fan of opposing players as well. Great job by the Card’s against the Packers. They dominated both lines of scrimmage – won the turnover battle thus a one-sided game. Really impressed how the defense played with both Honey Badger & Johnson out. Team continues to show great resolve. Interesting game with Seattle to end the season. I just don’t want to see any injuries – Seattle is physical & are a playoff team so this should be a good game. It will be interesting to see how this game unfolds with the Carolina game being played at the same time. It would not surprise me if these teams meet again in the playoffs if not the NFC Championship Game. Although I think Seattle needs Lynch to do it. Darren–How is Bill Bidwill doing??? Still around the facility at times???

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2016 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Bill Bidwill

I have not had the chance to see Mr. Bidwill of late.

15. By clssylssy on Jan 1, 2016 | Reply

We absolutely need to win this game in the (off)chance Winston and the Bucs upset the Panthers. Imagine the woulda, shoulda,couldas (how bad it would suck) to blow the opportunity for a No.1 seed? The Hawks are in and really don’t have any incentive other nthan the bragging rights they are oh so fond of owning. I am a BIG fan of the sack dance our defense showed Aaron Rogers and hope to see an encore against Russell Wilson! This game will be an excellent opportunity for us to test our metal against the team regarded as the toughest in the league. We Can Do It!