Keim: “I saw it as an outlier”

Posted by Darren Urban on January 4, 2016 – 8:10 am

The Cardinals were overrun Sunday by the Seahawks. And General Manager Steve Keim said he is … “actually encouraged”?

“I know what kind of team we have,” Keim said during his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. “To jump off the ship because of one game … I saw it as an outlier.”

Keim said he’s looking forward to the playoff run. Yes, he had concerns the Cardinals were handled pretty easily up front on both sides of the ball. Yes, it bothered him with the talk the Cardinals had nothing to play for, especially when the Cards then played like they had nothing to play for. “Seattle outplayed us in every facet.”

But Keim also said it’s been a rewarding season, with a franchise-record 13 wins. The last game didn’t go well, but he noted how the Seahawks were the red-hot team just a couple weeks ago, then lost at home to the Rams, who then lost to the 49ers this weekend. The Cardinals were everyone’s darlings last week, and getting beat up Sunday has already changed the thought process. “It’s a week-to-week league,” Keim said.

He added he has no doubt the Cardinals will take these two weeks to bounce back, and, like Bruce Arians, believes the Cardinals have learned a lesson. “Our name hasn’t been printed on any Super Bowl ticket yet,” Keim said.

— Keim’s highlights this season? Carson Palmer’s return from ACL surgery to have an MVP-type season, the impact of many of the one-year vets who signed, like Dwight Freeney, and Larry Fitzgerald rallying for a big season after some down statistical years.

— Keim said he thought the defense missed the energy of rookie linebacker Markus Golden, who sat out with a knee bruise. Golden is expected to be back for the playoffs.

— Finally, Keim was asked if he wants the Cardinals to play the Seahawks again. “Absolutely,” he said, noting the bad taste Sunday left. “As a competitor, I’d love to see the Seahawks again.”

It probably doesn’t hurt that Keim knows, another game against the Seahawks means the Cardinals are hosting the NFC Championship game.

Tags: , ,

50 Responses to “Keim: “I saw it as an outlier””

1. By georgiebird on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Rams beat Seattle because the front 4 does the work and the LBs can cover the flats. The Cards 3 man front is not as good as the Rams resulting in less coverage in the flats. Yesterday, the Cards guessed wrong quite a bit. When they thought Wilson had the ball he had handed it off- and when Wilson had the ball, we chased the RB.
    I realize the Cards play a 4 man front at times- the difference is the 4th guy is usually a LB. Yesterday, I saw CC get tripled on a couple of plays and wondered why someone couldn’t get home. Next game Buc has to shadow Wilson.
    And don’t punt to Lockett.
    The offense played small and slow. If Cooper was the player he should be by now-he could have been the main guy in the running game.

2. By Andy Kw on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

I feel more pumped up than ever but there is a flaw in the offense. When we run the ball, we always tell Fitzgerald to move in the inside to block. That pretty much gives away what the Cardinals plan to do. There has to be more run packages where we don’t tell Fitz to run back near to OL to block such that we don’t give away our plan of attack to the opponents.
    -The OL needs to do a better job protecting Palmer. We are a resilient team that fights until the end. The loss does not hurt us but only makes us better. We take that, correct our mistakes, and we will be back at our best in two weeks.

3. By drblogubc on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

As Cardinals fans, we have been treated to an amazing season! The team had a record setting 13 wins, many of those earned in exciting fashion. While this is an excellent football team, it is not, in my opinion, an elite team and probably will not go to the Super Bowl. I appreciate Keim’s optimism in seeing yesterday’s game as an outlier. But he is no doubt deeply worried, knowing the deficiencies that cannot be fixed at this point in the season. In contrast to Keim, I saw the game
    against Green Bay as an “outlier”. That was one of the few games where the defence really shut down the running and passing game of their opponent. The total net yards put up by the Seahawks yesterday was more in line with what we have seen all year (even less, for example, than the big yards put up by Philadelphia). The big difference was that all other aspects of the Cardinals game completely collapsed. To watch the play of the special teams was alarming. Perhaps even more worrisome was to see Palmer play like Ryan Lindley, then watch Stanton do the same. The Seahawks, by the way, also had nothing to play for. One might have expected the Cardinals to at least make an effort for their home fans.

With our defence as it is, the only way the Cardinals could win the first playoff game is in a shoutout. For that to happen, Palmer has to be razor sharp, the offensive line has to show up and the receivers have to hang on to the ball. If they are lucky and get as far as playing Carolina or Seattle in the Conference final, they will face a much better team and I can’t see them beating either. I despise Seattle immensely but will begrudgingly admit that they solved their problems in the last third of the season and seem to be in a good position for another Super Bowl appearance. That would hard to take. If not the Cardinals, I would much prefer to see the Panthers take the prize.

4. By 'ZonaFan89 on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

It was absolutely an outlier. The Seahawks flat out played harder than us, that’s why we got dominated. You think we’d play like that in a game that actually mattered? Yeah right. We’ll kill them if they come to our house for the NFC Championship. We only lost because we had nothing to play for, and it showed.

5. By joe holst on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

I am worried about the secondary with tyrann Matihiau out.

6. By Marlin on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Nothing to play for except staying healthy…..so it got away from us a little bit. No Worries. Bring on the Playoffs !!!!!!!!!!

7. By D on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

At least the Cards get a warm up game to get the mistakes fixed against the Redskins. (Redskins will beat GB)

If Seattle gets back here, they would have traveled to MN then to NC and fly down to the desert, that’s a lot of traveling. One thing is for sure, after 7 weeks not playing Lynch will be rusty, most likely only used in goal line situations.

I am not worried, although J. Bethel will be targeted more, so he’ll have to improve his coverage.

8. By Chuck 1 on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Keim still has work to do on the O-Line: Need a better Center, Right Guard (Cooper is a Bust & Larsen isn’t much better) and a better Right Tackle (Massie is marginal).

9. By CreditCard on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Funky looking ball, weird calls by the refs … anything can go in an NFL game. All players in the NFL have immense talent, with good coaching. Getting players to be on the same page separates the winners from the losers.

The Cards played a very vanilla game yesterday. Meaning they didn’t put any new wrinkles in the offense or defense game plans (or appeared that way).

Seattle had more to play for. That is, they wanted to send a message that they were the “real” division champs and the team to beat.

Whether the Cards face Minnesota or Washington or Green Bay in two weeks — they game will be close.

This next week the Cards need to work upon: Special teams (every facet of special teams), O-line run blocking, and D-line penetration and better tackling. Mathieu needs to teach the defense on open field tackling the far leg not going for the front leg. (Much easier said than done.)

Cards will be Ok for the play-offs. I’m sure the coaches have reserved plays / tendencies just for the playoffs for several weeks now.

10. By CreditCard on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

BTW, I’m wondering if the Cardinal staff read our posts — and get a roar of laughter.

Easy to be an expert behind a computer and fantasizing on how or what the team should do etc… I played years ago. The game has changed immensely as well as the talent level. I am amazed on how massive the players are, and how quickly they move. And how precise each play needs to be in order to be successful.

Nevertheless, it is good of the organization to allow this means of communication and be connected so to speak with our favorite team.

11. By DTL on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Couple quick hitters:

1. As painful as it was, 20-20 vision dicatated a let down ( I never saw it coming, proving again the adage “what do I know”);
    2. BA said we wouldn’t take game off, yet Q if his plan to sit CP 2nd half tipped off the team…can’t have it both ways BA, all share the limited blame;
    3. That we got beat all 3 phases proves it was letdown, disappointing but not who we are, despite the poisonous Seattle player comments…
    (now taking my face out of rear view mirror…for good);

Our family/neighbors (who are St. Louis transplants) having ceremonial toast tonite to the best season ever, God our Cardinals were good! Praying for Seattle return, this one I’ll predict, with Carson at the helm, we’ll sock ’em in the mouth.

SB50 or nothing at all…Viva la Cardinals!

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Palmer plan

Arians said the players, including Palmer, didn’t know of his plan.

13. By TroyBoy on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

drblogubc; Are you a CARDS fan? Reading your post kills me as a die hard Cardinal fan for my entire life. If you want to jump onto a Seahawk or Panther bandwagon, go right ahead. If you want to be a CARDS fan, then don’t come on here and say things like we can’t beat either of those teams. Which we have beat one of them. It seriously, bothers the daylights out of me to see people come on here and grope onto negativity and useless wise stuff that makes no sense. We, the Cardinal Nation, are on the best, EVER year that we have ever had. Let’s all enjoy it for goodness sakes. I am loving this team. CP and Fitz, they won’t lose this locker room nor the fact that they all have possibly their last chance to be SB Champs. ALL the way with the RED SEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. By whiteshark17 on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

@drblogubc This game was absolutely an outlier and Seattle absolutely had something to play for. They had a lot to play for in fact. Here are the reasons:
    1) Avenge last years Super Bowl loss in the stadium (which the media hyped up).
    2) Avoid going 2-4 in the division and being swept by both the Cards and Rams.
    3) A win coupled with a Green Bay win would have gotten them the 5 seed (much more likely that Carolina losing).

4) Avoid a 2 game losing streak going into the playoffs. They wanted to get the bad taste of last week out of their mouth. From the opening whistle it looked like half our guys didn’t care. Seattle literally played that game like it was a Super Bowl. They unleashed trick plays they haven’t shown before and then celebrated on the field (and Twitter) like they won something. If anything this game plays right into our hands. If they come back here (and I hope they do) they will be overconfident and we will be HUNGRY.

15. By georgiebird on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Now wait a minute on the Seahawks destroying the Vikings:
    1) Like the Rams, the Vikings play a 4-3
    2) like the Rams, the Vikings have very active LBs
    3) easy for the Vikings to develop a defensive game plan looking at the Rams game
    Vikings have a mobile QB who can improvise and expose some ‘hawks shortfalls.
    I think this will be a competitive game because of the matchup. And the Vikes have AP. And the Vikings have the cold. More I think of it- this game will surprise many.

16. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Seahawks/Vikings

1) Not sure why you are saying “Wait a minute” to me, I never wrote the Seahawks would destroy the Vikings.
    2) We’ll see on the matchup, but the Seahawks did already go to Minnesota and, well, destroyed the Vikings. So the matchup didn’t go so well a few weeks ago.

17. By shane on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

im not sure if you gave any thought to this or not .. but do you possibly think that the cards did not want to win this game? Because if they won & somehow the panthers lost they would have had that number 1 seed .. that would have still made the hawks the 6 seed and the Vikings the 3rd with there win. My point is yes they would have had home filed but they would have had to play either the vikings or seahawks again in the divisional & considering how difficult winning 3 in a row against a team like Seattle or playing the vikings who played us tight would be. Do you think they thought or at least the players thought why even win ? win the road to the Superbowl is actually easier with a loss. Because i think it turned out really well considering the cards will now have to face either the redskins in AZ with kurt cousins at Qb or the packers again who the cards just dismantled… & now only can play either the hawks or Carolina once to get to the superbowl. Just a thought… but even if they didn’t think of that, if your a cards fan you have to like the set up now.

18. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Shane —

RE: Want to win

I see what you are saying, and it’s clear now afterward with Arians saying he was always going to take guys out regardless that there was never going to be this huge push originally talked about. But no, I don’t think they wanted to lose. And certainly not like that.

19. By drblogubc on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

TroyBoy, yes I am a Cards fan. I have only been a season ticket holder for 3 years but cheered them on long before that. I record the home games so I can watch them again when I get home from the Stadium. Not sure how you can say I am on another team’s bandwagon. Just stating the facts and pointing out what needs to happen in order for Cards to be successful. If the facts I reference are inaccurate, please point that out and I will gladly stand to be corrected. I cheer for any team the Seahawks play against but I do acknowledge what a good team they have become – again. There is no point in living in denial. Sorry if I sound negative but yesterday it was as frustrating as it gets, sitting in those stands. And I stayed to the bitter end, unlike most fans. Three years in a row of being humbled in a home game against a team I really dislike. That doesn’t undo what has otherwise been a fantastic season. But going forward, the offence has to put up big numbers to stay ahead of other high octane teams. Go Cardinals!

20. By shane on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

as i just told darren i believe this loss made the road to the Superbowl easier .. the cards now only have to either face the redskins or the packers in AZ.. & now can only face the hawks or panthers once to get the the superbowl .. i really like thos odds .. plus people that have watched the nfl for any amount of time should know that it would have been extremely difficult for the cards to win 3 in a row vs seattle .. if in fact they face or faced again in the playoffs. Now this loss even tho (i believe cards didn’t even want to win) should only add fuel to the fire if in fact they did face again in a nfc championship game . Bottom line i like the cards chances much better with this loss & the fact they didn’t show much.. than if they won this game & had to face them for a third time .

21. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Georgie and Darren,

Seahawks vs Vikings;

Got to agree with Darren on this one. The Vikings have to get something from AP or they will struggle. The Hawks are one of the tops against the run. I cant see Bridgewater and his receivers shaking off the seahawk secondary. I really would like to see an upset and will be rooting for the Vikings but I can’t see any way they win except Seattle is looking ahead.

Packers at Redskins;
    I think this is an easy one too. The packers passing game has gotten so bad, Rodgers is scrambling before he needs too. Mainly because he needs too most of the time.

In two weeks
    Redskins at Cardinals
    Seattle at Carolina

In 3 weeks
    Cards at Carolina

Now they AFC is much more difficult to pick in my opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Wild Card Chiefs end up in the Super bowl.

22. By georgiebird on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Sorry. I did send the email to you but was throwing it out for the group. Minn is in the same shoes as the Cards as it relates to Seattle and getting even. Like the Cards, I feel Minn will be better off for the lopsided loss. They will be ready to physically take on the ‘hawks.
    When Seattle is playing well, it’s imperative that a team matches them physically.
    Case in point- on one of the early Seattle TDs, PP was blindsided near the goal line-it was a totally unnecessary block. The Cards said nothing and the Cards did nothing. It reminded me of Rob Housler getting manhandled by a db last year and there was no retaliation.
    Can’t play that way.
    As a matter of fact, I would play Jaron Brown in place of Smokey next time around and use Smokey for certain packages. Marcus Golden will be a huge upgrade if he can play. Basically, can’t get pushed around like yesterday.

23. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Cards vs Seahawks;

Tough game to watch. I hate the seahawks, so if we had to play poorly, I wish it could have been someone else.

I think the cards rebound and still head to the Superbowl.

But I do have concerns;

Two of the 3 loses were division teams that know the cards. Are they finding chinks in the armor?

Cards defense is built for the lead. The smaller, quicker players, with essentially 6 DBs on the field have a much harder time if the game is close or the cards are behind. Two loses happened in the 4th quarter in close games, the other was a game we fell behind.

The offensive line has produced a running game and set records for passing/receiving. But, as they step up in competition (playoff football) , are they good enough to keep Palmer clean?

There is a difference with the Honey Badger on the field. No one can deny that.

I am not sure Bethel can withstand the constant testing he will get throughout the playoffs.

But there is one moment that we, as cards fans can point at, and say, this team is good. That drive Palmer had up in Seattle. The cards had just fallen apart, giving up two TDs off Palmer fumbles. The seahawk fans were into it. The hawk defense was charged. It did not look good. And Palmer and crew drove down the field to put up 6 like it was taking candy from a baby.

If there was a moment you can point at and say, this is why the cards win the superbowl, it was that moment. Because of that, and many other great moments, I still believe this card team will win the superbowl.

24. By georgiebird on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

If Cards stay in it, there’s a down and dirty for all Cards’ fans.
    Do we want Carolina on the road or Seattle at home? This is a tough choice not that we have any say in the matter.
    Give me a physical Cardinals’ team at home.

25. By Mike G on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is cool! I don’t put too much into yesterdays game–Cards had really nothing to play for. The main thing is not to have any big injuries–Looks like Redding is the only player impacted. Interesting that the last 4 times the Cards clinched either a playoff spot or a bye(2008-NE,2009-GB,2014-SEA,
    2015-SEA) they were soundly beaten the following week. Great year by the team going 13-3. I’m sure they will play with more physicality and emotion once the playoffs start. They caught a break in that they won’t have to play both Car & Sea along the way. They have been a good Home Team over the years and just have to continue that trend & they will be fine. They accomplished everything they wanted at this point. Three more games to go win with the possibility of having two at home. You could not ask for more. With this Seattle loss I’m sure the coaching staff will have this team ready to play with fire given the extra week off.
    Darren–How is Kenny Demens doing in his rehab with that torn ACL???? See him around???

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Demens

I have seen him here and there. Have not talked to him, however.

27. By Dr. G. on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Well, Cards Fans, there is fair critique here and elsewhere on the Cards effort/results. We did not expect an ass whipping. But for all the reasons, and probably watching Carolina beginning to dominate the Bucs, there was absolutely nada to play for ‘cept pride, and none arose. We just laid there during the colonoscopy while sedated in a lackluster coma.

We all heard many players and staff say, “We know we are a good team.”

Winners produce regardless of circumstances. It’s called housecleaning. I believe, as posted prior, that our guys, players and staff are embarrassed… wouldn’t want to be their next opponent. Their pride should shine with retaliation to try to dispel this humiliation.

I felt badly for Todd Bowles; he again knows how it feels to go 10-6 and pack your bags again as in 2013. He proved he can be a big league coach. Congrats!!

jtdg – – yes, I can see the Chiefs as major contenders, perhaps better that Darren will concede. They are on a roll.

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Chiefs

I never said they weren’t contenders. I said it did not matter because if the Cardinals play them it will be in the Super Bowl. In that context, everyone the Cardinals will play from the AFC will be contenders. They will be in the Super Bowl. Otherwise, who cares?

29. By Dr. G. on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Commentary: One concept that always comes to mind after a game like this:::

Some Fans can only afford to see 1 game because of cash or work or whatever.

They come to see a good game regardless of the playoff circumstances or opponent. They deserve the best effort, win or lose, for coming out to see the team in exchange for coughing up their hard-earned money….

I could not console my sis yesterday that this game was an anomaly. …later Fans

30. By Dr. G. on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

drblogubc – – Your observation that Seattle had nothing to play for either is notable. They had motivation that Arians needs to identify and tap into…not a legit excuse…later

P.S. No more loyal Fan than I…. to clarify…

31. By Dr. G. on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

georgiebird – – agreed, the Vikings will not be a gimme for Seattle, esp. at home… wth…they just beat GB!!

whiteshark17 – – agree also, but all the things you list about Seattle can be summed in 1 word, “pride”…the results were moot.

shane – – the point of being the #1 seed is that you sleep in your own bed until the Super Bowl…no travel…

jtdg – – love your analytic confidence… yeah, we miss ((won’t quit)) Tyrann big time… Palmer will not rattle going forward, but yesterday was not his finest half hour… ((actually 23.33 minutes! includes Stanton))…ugh..

Darren – – Thanks again for generating the stew pot that we can stir….Please keep the updates on the players’ health the next 2 weeks…be well

32. By Richard S on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

27 INDY(3) 86.01
    28 TAMPA(29) 83.8
    29 JAX(30) 83.64
    30 SANFRAN(25) 83.47
    31 CLEVELAND(27) 83.28
    32 TENNESEE(31) 79.69
    8/16 correct in wk 17 Bad week for picking game winners.
    After week 17, 163/256 63.67%
    Initial ESPN power rank in parenthesis after team name.
    Inside the NFL correct picks after wk 16 B. Esiason 151/240,
    Phil Sims 151/224; the system above 155 correct out of 240 games
    Cardinals wkly. rating 13/12/7/5/5/3/3/3/3/4/2/3/4/3/6/3/1/3

Final regular season rating.

33. By Richard S on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

On the bright side, statistically it is easier to win 3 games in a row than 13 games in a row. I’ve only been this excited about a possible championship twice, SuperBowl XLIII and when my high school basketball team lost only one game in two years with the difference in that game being the guy who took my position away fouled out 5 minutes before John Brown (who later played for the Atlanta Hawks fouled out. Slow ball vs. a run and gun a team that averaged over 100 points a game. Next year they won the state championship taking only 4 shots from the field in the second half. That was a game to see and hearing the comments from the other teams fans – “Yeah they haven’t lost a game this year, but they haven’t played any big schools” followed up with “This isn’t basketball.” I loved that slow ball.

34. By Cactusjeff on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

The game was strange. Seattle is strange. They play like they drank out of the left pot of coffee against the Cardinals and the right pot against the Rams. Totally different speed. Only team that comes out all “dilated” like that is the patriots when they play a big game. Average players one game look like pro bowlers the next. I’m not making any accusations, I’m sure Pete inspires them with his pre game speech.

35. By PACards fan on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Darren, Sorry if you already wrote on this, but I haven’t seen any news on Cory Redding. I was not able to watch the game but saw that he left the game hurt. Any word on how he is doing and if he will be ready for the game in two weeks? He has become a good part of the D. Hate to loss him

36. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

PACards —

RE: Redding

It was updated in my story yesterday: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Bye-Week-Work-Gets-Cardinals-Attention/e02d1f13-4484-4e28-be66-ac6164f8ba4a

37. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Georgiebird —

Since you asked, I, personally, like our chances better going to Carolina than playing Seattle again, even if at home. So I’ll be rooting for Carolina in that game, even though it means we only get one home playoff game.

38. By dynosoar on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Cactusjeff,

so you’ve listened to Pete’s pre game speeches as well. I think he must’ve let someone else deliver the speech before the Rams game.

Good speeches from that one.

We got this. All we need is for this team to play like they have this season, to win. Whether ahead in the game or behind, they’ve one 13 games, second best in the league. I’m good with that and am looking forward to watching us win decisively against whoever comes to our house on the 16th.

SB50 or nothing at all!

39. By CARDS62 on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Lot of good posts. Enjoyed reading them all.

Long time Cardinal fan so I am a realist, but this is the best Cardinal team I have seen in 44 years.

drblogubc – You said I believe our team is not elite. I agree with you, but would use the term not perfect or not without flaws. Just remember there is not a team in the NFL that is perfect or one that does not have flaws. Salary Cap, free agency, and injuries take care of that. Carolina scares me with their defense and Cam as I know we can not tackle that beast, but their # 1 receiver is Ted Ginn, you remember Ted, our # 4 receiver or even # 5 on this team, and no great running back. Seattle is good, they know how to win, oh how I hate them and that weasel Pete Carroll, but are you taking Richard S. over Patrick P. this season? Their other corner is not special. Which receiving corps will you select, Cardinals or Seahawks? Me, Cardinals receivers all the way. Wilson is good, but if we are playing for just 1 season right now I want Palmer running the show over Wilson.
    I have concerns, special teams, OL, pass rush, and I believe it was JTDG that made a very good point that our defense is built to play with leads and not from behind. Finally I love Carson Palmer and I have followed him his entire career as I grew up near Cincinnati and the Bengals are my second team but Carson will throw 40 passes a game and 38 or 39 of them are brilliant, but one or two will just leave you scratching your head. I just hope we can get away with this.He has done this his entire professional career.

I think we all have concerns but I think we get to the Super Bowl for the following reasons.

1) Most important – We have never had ownership, general manager, and coaching staff working as well and as intelligently as we do now. I think BA and the staff can coach and we will see some surprises in the playoffs.

2) I think Palmer, Fitz., Campbell, Peterson, Freeney, and many others are really hungry to be Super Bowl Champions and will sell out to be champions.

3) I think our receiving corps will put on a show especially Floyd and Fitz. I question Floyd’s desire, but never his talent. I think he knows this is his big chance to shine, and this of course will open up our running game.

4) Shane has mentioned several times the favorable playoff seeding for us, and I could not agree more. Washington or Green Bay I do not know who will win, but in our house we should beat either of them by at least 14 points. Seattle beats Minnesota no problem, and fans I do not know who wins Seattle – Carolina but I do know it will be the most hyped game of the weekend and the most physical. These guys are going to beat each other up, and then play us just 7 days later and it matters after playing 17 or 18 games. Their minds will be willing, but some of their bodies will not answer.

Well this is all I have for now. Very exciting times and I feel better about our chances this year in the playoffs than I did last year. How about you????

Go Cards – All the way!

40. By Daniel Thompson on Jan 4, 2016 | Reply

Hate to say it but Russel Wilson is one bad dude………gonna be a thorn in our side for the next 10-12 years……..one way to beat him is a fast defense, he has trouble with the Rams speeds…….throws off his timing, in his head, feels like he has to get rid of the ball……….thats the recipe.

41. By shannon robinson on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

After an exhaustive study I was able to determine that every team that won the super bowl also won their first playoff game.

42. By faster on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

first, the regular season is over, and this season was the best since i watch the NFL. and, i owe gresham a apology. he, together with rucker, sendlein and d.johnson was one of the players who overperformed (humphries was the underperformer, from the expectations before the season).

and now lets play the what if game, first a assumption, my power ranking in the nfl is 1. cards 2. seahawks 3. panthers 4. and 5. green bay and vikings 6. redskins

i expect the packers and the seahawks to win the wildcardgames, then i expect us to beat the packers (it will not be the big difference from last game, much closer) and the seahawks beat the panthers.

and then the rematch at home against the seahawks.

the situation in the afl is much more muddier, if the patriots would be healthy, they would be the clear favorits, bengals without a QB, steelers without a defense, denver and houston without a offense. but with half of the patriots injured, the best team at the moment could be the chiefs.

a additional complication, the NFL will do anything to get rid of pee manning, to send him into the sunshine with a second ring.

so a prediction is very difficult, my favorit as a adversary would be the patriots, a superbowlwin against the best counts twice, and i hope its not the broncos, this could get ugly.

43. By Owen Mayotte on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

You totally remind me of a parent of teenagers trying to calm everyone down before they get to the laser tag park. “Relax everyone! It’ll be fun, we’re almost there!!” RELAX CARDS NATION!! TOO MUCH FLAPPING WILL MAKE YOU FALL OUT OF THE NEST!!
    Arians and Keim have got this under control. Arians reminds me of that smooth poker player that is always 5 steps ahead of you, and wins by bluffing. “I’m a pretty good liar” – Arians
    We beat Seattle in Seattle when it mattered most, and we didn’t show our hand and give Carrol & co. film to study for the playoffs. We have been an aggressive and gutsy team all year long except for week 17. I am convinced it was by design and not the Cards slipping.
    Aside from us destroying Seattle, losing was the best outcome overall. It will kick our butts into practice and prep and motivate us through the playoffs. Our last loss was 9 games ago. Relax everyone. It’ll be fun. We’re almost there:-)

44. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

I haven’t had a chance to weigh in until now. Not gonna dwell TOO much on a game that was ultimately meaningless, but….I will say, I am not without some concerns. It WAS disturbing to see our starting offense looking that inept against Seattle. And it WAS disturbing to see that their offense AND special teams just looked so much faster than we did.

The Seahawks are alive and well. And they just let us know that. In OUR house. It left a sense of a demon that has NOT been conquered. At all. Our win against them earlier in the season, I thought, sent a message. A message that WITH Palmer on the field and our team healthy, we could handle Seattle. And to be fair, Palmer is 2-1 in his last 3 games against Seattle.

But I felt like Sunday’s game erased that message, just wiped it right off the board. And it SENT the message that the Seahawks can still beat this team…and make it look easy.

What I take from this is the sobering realization that any team can have that “off” week where they are just out of synch and not sharp. And if that coincides with the other team being very ON their game that same week…..it can look like it did on Sunday. Ugly. Just like it did the week before when we beat the Packers by the same 30-point margin.

Are the Cardinals really 30 points better than the Packers? No. They are not.

Are the Seahawks really 30 points better than the Cardinals? No. They are not.

But it CAN all come down to which version of which teams shows on any given Sunday. During the regular season, you get a chance to come back the next week and make it go away. During the playoffs, you don’t.

This team has responded well to “off” weeks. No reason to think they won’t do the same in 2 weeks.

45. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

I had done another entry on the “aftermath” blog, which never got included ( not sure why…I didn’t use any profanity ) and I said the same thing Keim is saying – that loss Sunday left me feeling pretty pissed and it made me want to see the Seahawks again. REAL bad. NFC conference game or not. I just hate that team like no other and I can’t sleep on a beat dowm like that. Not from them.

Frankly, I think the Vikings can take them out because the Vikings have a score of their own to settle with Seattle. But revenge aside, the Vikings are a damn good team and I am quite confident they will show Seattle a different side this time around.

But if not? Bring them Seahawks back here again.

46. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Comment

I’ve approved every one you’ve put in. You sure it was put in?

47. By DTL on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

D’Urb:

Thanks. Yep, saw that too. BA told us other things that were “slightly” misleading for apparent “tactical” reasons. He might have leaked intent with “body language”. Suspect he did not send Stanton out there with only scout team or minimum backup reps, but who knows. Just incidental conjecture. Not a BA criticism; best we’ve ever had, best in league. Undeniable team was not ready…

Undeniable team will be ready 1/16. Go Cards.

48. By TroyHJ51 on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

MVP is Lyle Sendlein
    One of three players left from superbowl team
    Consistent starter and was Undrafted
    On top of that was cut and still made it back and started for the team
    He is the MVP/Comeback player on top of all of that center is a hard position

49. By DTL on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

JTDG, et al:

Keen observes re Bethel/Mathieu, re SB win…me too.

Noticed lots of discussion here, like it. I signed up a couple times for Cards discussion boards, too much work, too many rules. Here, D’Urb either bounces you, or not. Like it simple….

Was in Team shop before last game, wow, the cash registers were churning, lol…priced several items, Cards marked up each above their own online prices, even above Nike’s and NFL web sites prices. The Season ticket 20% discount makes the price a bit better than those. E.g. New Era Gold hats were $37 or so, wow… decided to wait for SB50 commemoration hat;)

50. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2016 | Reply

Darren –

First, I was just being facetious! I THOUGHT I submitted the comment….then it didn’t show up. I did submit it from a strange computer ( from the resort In Phoenix where I was staying!! ), so…maybe that was it. Who knows? But I’m sure it was not an over-sight on your part. No biggie.