Goodwin to interview with Bucs

Posted by Darren Urban on January 8, 2016 – 7:52 am

When Bruce Arians hired Todd Bowles and Harold Goodwin as his original coordinators, he said he wanted both to eventually get head coaching jobs. Bowles got his job last year, earning the spot with the Jets. Goodwin is probably still a little further away, but at least his first interview is coming.

ESPN’s Josina Anderson tweeted Friday morning that Goodwin will interview for the vacant Buccaneers job. It makes a ton of sense. Bucs GM Jason Licht worked in the Cardinals front office and was here in 2013 for Goodwin’s first season. Licht knows Arians and GM Steve Keim well and both would endorse Goodwin. And Goodwin is a minority, and his interview would satisfy the Rooney rule. UPDATE: The Buccaneers have confirmed this will take place.

Goodwin would be a longshot to get the job. Current Bucs OC Dirk Koetter is considered the favorite. But you never know who you meet that be able to convince once you have the interview, and if nothing else, it’s a good rep for interviews down the road.

Tags: , ,

34 Responses to “Goodwin to interview with Bucs”

1. By clssylssy on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

This doesn’t surprise me, especially after the firing of Lovie Smith. I figured it was a matter of time before one of these teams would come poaching our staff after the season we had. While I recognize that a HC gig is suppose to be some sort of validation of coaching expertise in the NFL, I would think anyone would rather be tied to a winning and respected franchise (at least until you become an established household name and can dictate your own terms)rather than taking a flier with an organization that is a hot mess.
    As our coaches gain in recognition through our team’s success the good jobs will come pouring in. I guess I’m selfish but I’m hoping Coach G will hold out until he had a few championships on his resume and feels he has the luxery of being choosey. Or, best case scenario, he would mentor behind BA to become his successor (not anytime soon). It would be great if the Cards could start building like the Steelers and everyone would view outside opportunities as just “not the Cards”.

2. By Scott H on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

OK. I think back to when Haley left after the 2008 season. I didn’t want him to go but the offense continued on without missing a beat because Warner and most of his weapons remained in place. I really think that as long as Palmer and his arsenal remain intact….I would expect the same. All the pieces are in place for this offense to remain among the best in the league. BUT I would prefer that our coaches stay here.

Damn…seems like the Cardinals are becoming a favorite place for the rest of the NFL to shop when there are coaching vacancies.

3. By clssylssy on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

Scott…think you better prepare yourself for disappointment as many of our weapons hit free agency and the Cards don’t want to pay them.
    As BA has said numerous times “this won’t be the same team” next season which always gives me a certain respect for organizations who can remain intact and have repeated success year-after-year. I look foward to a time when the Cards are one of those power teams where players AND staff don’t want to move on to “better” things. I HATE this time of year…it really puts dampers on the playoffs and is a HUGE distraction when rather than enjoying the ride, you start stressing about the unknown!

4. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: “Better things”

Every single “power” team loses good players and, often, good coaches. It’s how the league works. This idea that you often put out there that the Cardinals are too cheap or a place where people want to leave more than, say, the Patriots or Seahawks or Steelers is simply wrong.

5. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

Question for Darren (if he knows) or anyone —

I was a season ticket holder before, and then stopped a few years ago (terrible timing) because we were having to get rid of tickets for too many games because of my kids’ schedules. Anyway, I’m considering getting back in the fold.

I don’t really want to sit upstairs anywhere, or in the lower level end zone. My last tickets were in 125 (corner)… which at the time was good enough for me, but I’d prefer better seats than that — ideally main level sideline (I’m guessing Premier is out of the question). But with as good as the team has gotten, I’m wondering if that has zero chance.

Don’t really want to put a deposit down and then find out that the best seats I’m offered are nosebleed. Is there any chance of getting decent tickets? If not, I’ll probably just do what I did this year and buy good seats on the secondary market for 4-5 games.

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

Kevin S —

RE: “Decent” seats

I would call and ask. A ticket representative could probably give you a better idea than I.

7. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

Clssylssy —

What Darren said.

There may have been a time when players wouldn’t want to come to Arizona, or where we’d have a hard time keeping them, but we’re past that. Sure, there might be some guys who are limelight-lovers who’d rather be in, say, New York, but in general, our problems in retaining players are the same as anyone else’s — the salary cap and common sense.

I didn’t like seeing Dansby go after he was SO good in 2013, but Cleveland paid a ton for him. It wasn’t worth it. I was glad we were able to keep Fitz but there would’ve been a point where that wouldn’t have made sense either.

The Patriots and other teams you mention have the same issues we do. They let Wes Welker walk when he was Brady’s favorite receiver. This isn’t baseball. You can’t keep everyone when there’s a hard cap.

8. By Dr H on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

I was afraid of this……our good coaches being poached….I can’t blame them nor Goodwin…..but stay a while Goodwin and get yourself a few SB rings with the Cards first.

9. By steve on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

This is nothing more than the Bucs fulfilling the NFL’s minority interview requirement, just a mere formality and I’m sure Goodwin knows that.

10. By clssylssy on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

Darren…
    I didn’t say that the cards were “too cheap” …dude, your words not mine! What I said was that many player s would become Free Agents and the Cards wouldn’t pay them what they thought they could get elsewhere. I think that is true as we look at history…your Dansbys,Cromarties,Boldins,etc. I do recall recently individuals turning down interviews preferring to stay with the Steelers as did James Harrison last year taking less money to stay a Steeler. More of the older players are willing to accept “team friendly” contracts with teams that are repeat contenders with history because they understand the way the league works & that a big contract with a struggling team doesn’t guarantee career longevity in the bigger picture.
    Everyone has to live within the same Cap and in order to keep a team like the Seahawks together it takes creativity, genius, & compromise.

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Seahawks

I can give you a laundry list of players/coaches the Seahawks have lost the last couple of years. I agree it takes some doing to keep a team together, but you can continue to win even if you lose pieces.

12. By clssylssy on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

Darren…of course you can but You are obviously missing my point. As we continue to have success, it will be easier to keep things as we want them as everybody wants to hang with a winner! I was thinking more about the Steelers than the Seahawks actually…

13. By krehbieo14 on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

The Cardinals will be active in the off season, trying to keep key pieces to the team. I am sure they already have a plan, and are waiting to implement it. A few of our free agents may not be worth keeping, ie Bobby Massie. We have depth and will use the draft to shore up any deficiencies. There is nothing to be disappointed in because most of our core players are already under contract and Keim will do his best to work out deals with other players who still fit our needs. Bidwill has been a very proactive owner, willing to spend the money to build a winning franchise.

14. By Scott H on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

Well, as stated, I am expecting that the team will remain pretty damn good for the next few years. And why my saying THAT elicited as many thumbs downs as thumbs ups….I have no clue. Really. What the hell are people reacting to here???

Anyway, you and I often see things from a similar angle and we have never been afraid to question or criticize when we feel it is warranted. But let me ask you, who exactly are the “many” weapons you expect to be gone next year because the team won’t want to pay them? You sound like you are expecting a mass exodus here…

The harsh reality of the NFL is that you can’t keep everyone. Those of us who love Fitz ( I know you are one ) and never want to see him play anywhere else have gotten our wish. So far. But that comes at the cost of parting ways with Boldin. I never wanted to see that, either, but…Boldin leaves and you draft a guy like Floyd. Now, a decision about HIM looms as well. Meanwhile, John Brown and JJ Nelson have come in the door. And come this time next year? We’ll all be talking about Fitz again. And I will want the team to do whatever it needs to do to keep him then, too. Again! This never ends. It never ends for any team.

But THIS team has won 10, 11, and 13 games in the last 3 regular seasons. I mean….what conclusion can ya take from that other than that this organization knows what it is doing?

But let’s put off our concerns for next year for another time. We have a POST-season to get ready for! And I plan on loving every minute of that! 🙂

15. By Dr. G. on Jan 8, 2016 | Reply

Well, I wish there was some way to meter how good Mr. Goodwin really is in terms of his abilities as a leader and analyst to handle many of these high strung athletes…and also the ability to help a GM construct a competitive team. He does not even get to call the game. We do not hear much about him for fair evaluation.

Some in the league wonder about how much control Licht really has with all the things happening in Tampa. But, the cash is good.

Also, at the risk of being non-PC, I think the teams who cover the Rooney Rule with obvious manipulation should have to pay all Black American coaches who are interviewed something like $50Gs to that man if he is not hired after the process. This is sad to have such a stupid rule, but until something better can be applied, its the best we have.

PLAYOFFS CARDS FANS!!! later…

16. By Eazy E on Jan 9, 2016 | Reply

This is garbage! Coach Goodwin ain’t getting hired! They just fired Lovie wrongly and you think they’re going to replace him with an inexperienced guy as a head coach and that is Black! I could bet anything I have it would never happen in a million years! If I was Coach, I wouldn’t take the interview because Tampa Bay is now a mess and they we’re on the rise with Lovie, Jameis, and crew. Black coaches period as another example persists in the aforementioned Lovie Smith nowadays shouldn’t take interviews, I repeat, they shouldn’t take interviews from crappy, desolate, dilapidated franchises such as Miami, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, San Fran, etc. The only worthy jobs are Philly, New York Giants, and maybe Tennessee, and a BIG maybe on Tennessee! That is sad and depressing, but it’s the truth. Out of 7 now open jobs, 4 are trash for a coach to enter into and especially a Black coach! I mean Lovie got screwed because he took a dumpster fire of a job, sure they had a disappointing first year at 2-14 when they’re talent is better than that, but this year they made a gargantuan leap winning 3 times as many games to 6 and Jameis as I mentioned countless times on this blog being a true franchise QB. They want generally a Black coach to tidy up the mess, and then screw you over and fire you when you get it to respectability! Dirk Koetter is probably getting the job as he is the favorite completely undermining what Lovie was building with the Bucs. The players are livid and that should tell you how shocked and alarmed they we’re about this. Coach Goodwin is just there to fulfill the Rooney Rule because Lord knows the NFL loves to play with it and very few take it seriously which is a damn shame! SMH…

17. By Steven Z. on Jan 9, 2016 | Reply

If Arians doesn’t have enough confidence in Goodwin to allow him to call plays in a regular season game, how do you expect a team to confidently give Goodwin control of a whole team? Goodwin needs to take the first step as a valid OC first, and the HC jobs will follow. Unfortunately, he’ll have to move on to another team to get a real OC job. Or did you all forget Arians’ criticism of another HC who gave up play-calling duties? This ploy was just a Rooney Rule fulfilment.

18. By mitchaz on Jan 9, 2016 | Reply

Easy E—Jason Licht (GM) knows Harold Goodwin. Licht wouldn’t give him a token interview in order to satisfy the Rooney Rule. The fact that Goodwin is black is irrelevant. Hue Jackson is high on a number of team’s lists. David Shaw would be in high demand as well if he ever wanted to make the jump from Stanford to the NFL.

Harold Goodwin has charisma and years of NFL experience. Coaching with BA and having BA’s full endorsement are feathers in Goodwin’s cap—BA was right about Todd Bowles—who, btw, is also black.

Steven Z.—it’s not that BA doesn’t have confidence in Goodwin as a play caller, BA wants to drive the offense himself. BA has said time and time again he wouldn’t even think of giving up play-calling responsibilities because it’s the part of his job he relishes most. Again, Jason Licht wouldn’t disgrace Goodwin or BA by having him interview simply to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

While Goodwin may seem like a long shot right now—so did Todd Bowles two years ago and he got hired the next year. Goodwin is legit. He’s garnered high praise wherever he’s coached. Do you think anyone is taking notice of the fact that the Cardinals suddenly for the first time in ages have a legitimate running game? Do you think anyone has noticed how passionate and tenacious Goodwin is? Goodwin doesn’t need to be an OC to be hired as a head coach. He is going to make a huge impression on owners and GMs—because he has the charisma and he will sell people on his understanding of “the process” and what it takes to win on a consistent basis. With BA as HC and Goodwin as BA’s right hand man on offense they have gone 9-3, 10-6, 11-5 and 13-3 over the past 4 years. Do you think Goodwin knows what it takes?

19. By Dr. G. on Jan 9, 2016 | Reply

Mitch – – How is it that you know so much about Goodwin? To most fans, he is somewhat an enigma. Do you hang with him? His bio is limited…no personal things in it. I only know what Darren puts out.

Arians’ quoted in 2013… “I’ll call plays until I find someone better.” Well, now we know the truth – he just loves being the proxy OC… not looking for anyone.

In 2013, BA stepped in it a bunch with his unbalanced, risky approach. 2014 brought improvement. Both years, the Bowles’ Defense saved his behind. Then comes 2015… Arians’ OJT made him much better. The players on the field have really produced for this team. The Defense is still good, but the Offense gets the notoriety with NOTABLE improvement… all cylinders firing… ((‘cept last week’s mulligan))

Bottom line…Though BA loves him, how can Goodwin enhance the resume much? Solution? If BA retires later on…um…?

Be well, Cards Fans…it’s nice to hang out for the bye…

20. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Goodwin

Here’s a story I did on Goodwin in the offseason.

21. By Daniel Thompson on Jan 9, 2016 | Reply

Steelers, no timeouts………..out of FG range………hmmmm…….30 yards in penalties……..flop by Brown and a cheap flag for good measure on Pacman Jones…….now u know why the Steelers fans wave Yellow Towels (flags) around. Gotta sell that Steeler merchandise.

22. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

Daniel —

RE: Flop by Brown

Seriously?

23. By Dr. G. on Jan 9, 2016 | Reply

We just watched Vontaze Burfict produce a Bengals loss all by himself with his dirty play…the Steelers were beaten. I remember Dennis Erickson benching this idiot a bunch for the same lack of self-control at ASU. Being a really bad actor and lazy in school made him go undrafted despite incredible talent. Marvin Lewis goes home now because of him tonight…really sad for Lewis and his team.

It would be tempting to cut this bad apple despite the cap hit…just bad for the NFL period. When you gamble with a consistently bad character, you roll the dice with your own future sometimes. (((No, no, Tyrann was never as bad as this guy…no comparison))) Most players get emotionally upset occasionally, but this guy has a serious implosion//explosion in his future….later Fans…

Tomorrow is the big day to see who we play…

24. By marlin on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy……your posts are too long. I’d like to read them….but get bored 1/3 of the way in. Respectfully suggest you try to make your point with less words.

25. By Richard S on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

My high school coach told us to not root for or against other teams in a basketball tournament, but I can still visualize the best playoff scenario for the Cardinals. Cards advance to NFC Championship game while the Seahawks play Carolina with Russell Wilson in a non-contact injury pulls a hamstring while doing the victory kneel down making him ineffective for the championship game.

26. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

RE: Steelers / Bengals

Man, what a game. Those last 7-8 minutes….don’t know that I ever saw anything like that. I’m saying what a game but, really, it was remarkable for how far off the rails it was at the end. Players out of control….coaches on the field causing trouble….fans throwing things at an injured player…..wow.

And the hit on Antonio Brown was criminal. That is a defenseless player. And it doesn’t matter if you are using your shoulder. I mean….is that supposed to be a justification when Brown / or any defenseless player is spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair??? Seriously. Burfect should get criminal charges for doing what he did.

GO VIKINGS!!!!! Get it done today. And then come see us next weekend. On a short week. After the Seahawks beat you up. Hee-hee-hee…..

Here’s a question for whoever wants to weigh in – what would you prefer…..playing the Panthers in Carolina for the NFC title or playing the Seahawks here? Gotta be honest, I might prefer the Panthers.

27. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

I swear, does NO ONE know how to stop Russell Wilson??? Just saw a snap go over his head…he has to go back 15 yards to get the ball….he does….he moves around to his right and throws to – what else??????? – a WIDE OPEN receiver. Goes for a first down and a first & goal at the 2. Next play? TD. And the Seahawks are right back in a game that they have been totally shut out of.

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE SEEN WILSON DO THIS??????????????? Wilson’s ability aside, I am FREAKIN’ AMAZED that there is ALWAYS a WIDE OPEN WR or TE down the field for him to go to to turn the broken play into a game changer. I mean….WHERE is the rest of the defense on these plays????? Do the leave the field, or what???????????????????

The team who FINALLY figures out how to stop Wilson from doing THIS is the team that will finally stop Seattle. Doesn’t look like it’s gonna be the Vikings today. AP just fumbled and the Seahawks have the ball again. Un-friggin – believable. The Vikings win the first 3 quarters, but the Seahawks will win the last one. And ( probably ) the game.

Seattle FG and they now lead 10-9.

28. By Dr. G. on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

Thanks Darren for the reminder article. I did read this earlier. At the time, my thought was that college would probably be best for Goody…ya know, with the scholarships as dangling motivators. That stepping stone could add some grooming ((like calling plays)) for later NFL return…gets more press that way.

Your article points to his ability to get along with the players as well as to earn respect in leadership. Thanks again…

P.S. Not liking how the Seattle//Minn. game is turning out… but on the good side, Carolina awaits if Slippery Pete’s team wins.

29. By Dr. G. on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

ScottH…whaaaaat? Home field vs traveling… We won’t lose to either team this time. Gotta keep the faith… I want to hammer Seattle in front of our crowd this time. They may have just promoted the Cards to the #1 seed bye… But, Carolina will pound them very goodly..! The Voodoo will not keep working for Seattle… We shall see next week…be well… This bye stuff is great for arm chair GMs…

30. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

Scott H….you’re kidding, right? As far as next week goes, it should be a good game regardless who comes( washington?) and we should win handily. Whoever we get plays us on a short week which should help us somewhat. Keep going.

31. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

No, I’m not kidding. But ya know what? Shame on me for even looking beyond next week. Looks like the Packers kinda re-discovered themselves a little today. Granted, that was against the Redskins ( who, like the Texans, really didn’t appear to belong in the playoffs this year ), but….if the Packers bring today’s version of themselves out here next week, it figures to be a different game. NOT to say the Cardinals won’t still dominate the game….they are the better team, top to bottom, and I expect them to be ready to roll. After that beat-down by Seattle the last time they played, I would imagine BA is hell-bent on assuring such a performance will not repeat itself.

This game is pretty much over, so…..got another date with the Packers coming up.

CANNOT believe the Vikings blew that game with a missed chip shot FG…..between them and the Bengals, i’m not sure whose loss was worse.

All four road teams won today. Sure hope that trend has run its course!

32. By Dr. G. on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

As I was re-watching the last time we played Green Bay, it seemed like they only got 3 downs and we got 4 every time; we just ran over them…but Rodgers can be tricky. David Johnson looked like Eric Dickerson back when…

We need not worry, but we need to duplicate that effort. Ya think they want a little revenge…? Nothing for granted a la the last game… Get well CJ…
    Go Cards..!

33. By krehbieo14 on Jan 10, 2016 | Reply

Scott H-

In my opinion, when your franchise loses because of the self-defeating behavior of bad actors, it’s much worse.

2. Jan 22, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | WR coach Drake earns award