Divisional playoff date sells out

Posted by Darren Urban on January 11, 2016 – 11:43 am

It didn’t take long — officially less than an hour, and anecdotally, even less time than that — but the Cardinals’ game Saturday against the Packers is sold out. There are definitely tickets out there on the secondary market, from what fans are telling me, but the team has no more.

What that means for the crowd makeup at University of Phoenix Stadium is yet to be seen, but I don’t see how there will be as many Packers fans this time around as there were for the last meeting. In that game, Green Bay fans had months to plan for the trip and line up tickets. That game was also Christmas weekend, a time when it was easy for people to be off from work and make the flight out to Arizona.

Yes, I know there are Packers fans around everywhere. And I still expect to see some green. But as quickly as the tickets were sold out, I think the crowd will be very much red come Saturday night.

The game, by the way, will be the 104th straight sellout at University of Phoenix Stadium — every game the Cardinals have ever played in the building.

SelloutBlog

Tags: , ,

44 Responses to “Divisional playoff date sells out”

1. By Rick on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Thats great news cant wait to see the RED SEA in FULL EFFECT. Lets try and set a noise record this Saturday night. Lets go BIRD GANG!!!

2. By 'ZonaFan89 on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

For crying out loud, you clowns that bought up all these tickets better not go sell them to freakin’ Pack fans on the secondary market!! Make UOP the RED SEA on Saturday night!! GO CARDINALS!!!

– Fan from out of state

3. By CC#93 on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

I feel lucky that I got 4 club level seats for $235 each and I see they are selling for $1,200 now. Decisions, decisions? I only need 2 but if I sell other 2 it definitely will not be to a Packers fan and this I can assure. They will be vetted for Cardinal knowledge from the DARK DAYS not just since 2008.

4. By DTL on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Cards earned the right:
    1. to not play in zero degree weather;
    2. to rest and heal for an extra week;
    3. to play an inferior opponent at home.
    Git er done, Cards….you are capable, ready.

5. By drblogubc on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

A few thoughts:
    1. Yesterday there were over 9,000 tickets for sale on StubHub. As of now, after the sellout, there are about 11,500. Some season ticket holders no doubt waited until the opponent was known before posting for sale. Some who bought this morning perhaps posted for re-sale to make a profit.

2. I am not sure it makes much difference if those tickets go to Packers fans. Seattle fans were in abundance at the week 17 game but there was still a sea of red, very loud and supportive into the second quarter. But the Seahawks took the crowd out of the game by half time and it was evident to everybody that our team didn’t come to play. We lost home field advantage very quickly, though at least we didn’t boo our team off the field at the half like the Texan fans did on Saturday.

3. I think home field advantage might be somewhat overrated. All four home teams lost on Wild Card weekend and there were some pretty enthusiastic fans who ended up going home disappointed. What counts far more is how prepared the team is and whether or not they come to the game with “energy and passion”, something they did not do in Week 17. I know, the team felt like they had nothing to play for (no point in rehashing that discussion). I just don’t know how easy it is to turn it on and off with the flip of a switch especially against a team that was revitalized by a big win 6 days earlier. Packers seem to be back in their groove. Let’s hope Carson and crew get out of the gate quickly and knock them back out of it. Go Cards!!!

6. By Eric G on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Better not see much green and yellow at the stadium Saturday. Will be cheering loudly in Ft. Lauderdale!

7. By WA52LZ on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Tickets arnt selling for $1200, they are listed for $1200. Lower level tickets are selling for around $300 on ticket exchange, actual sales price

8. By Cliff Wagner on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Any word on how our season ticket holder parking will be effected by Coyotes home game at noon?

9. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Cliff —

RE: Parking

I’m hearing it shouldn’t be an issue. Any crossover would only be blue, purple, purple garage or yellow anyway. If you have further questions, call 602-379-0102.

10. By Dr. G on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

I tried to get this in on the chat…thanks

Hi Darren… Please pass on to Iupati and Veldheer to knock CMatthews on his behind a few times for trying to insult Palmer by pulling his hand quickly back after a big hit and an offer of help to get him up…not too classy.

And, I am sure you notice that when the Packers are in “no huddle,” Rodgers likes to “quick start” to get the 12-men on the field penalty. He is very good at it.

I have seen this happen in our last game and yesterday as well multiple times…. Please pass in on to Boetcher, and I would like to know your thoughts if we should employ this tactic…much grass…

11. By Marlin on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

For all of our out-of-state brothers and sisters…..we’ll be loud for ya !!!!!!!!!!

12. By vsancards on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

@drblogubc,

I agree with you it has to do with how much energy the crowd and players bring to the game. The difference between this weekend and last was the QBs for the home teams had the least amount of playoff experience. It will be different in the divisional round.

The Cards need to play hard and execute the game plan. If we do that I like our chances. Rodgers will bring it as he has MVP experience.

I’m really looking forward to the game!

13. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Now, THIS is what I measure Cardinals fans by! Not seeing a bunch of Packers fans here ( during X-mas ) or Seahawks fans here ( during New Year’s Eve ). To me, that is….crap. Is it our fault that the winter weather is so God-awful miserable in those cities that those people are probably trying to be ANYWHERE else during those times??? No. Shoot, I’d want to be in Phoenix, too, if I were stuck there.

Come playoff time and the tickets go on sale, our fans answer the bell. Big time. And that place will be a LOUD sea of RED come Saturday night.

Good job, folks! Way to represent.

14. By Richard S on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

The Pack obviously to beat the Cards need to pull off some trick play out of the hat. Trick plays usually happen around the 50 yard line, from fake punts to end around to flea flicker. I sometimes wonder if on the initial kickoff the kicker doesn’t intentionally boot the ball toward the front of the endzone to get the returner to attempt a return figuring the returner very seldom reaches a whole lot of yards past the 20 and often comes up short with a penalty for an illegal block tacked on. I hate to see Palmer dropping into his endzone to start the game although he has had some big plays from just that spot.

15. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G….I agree with you. Rodgers is very good at this and we need to hustle on and off the field. I will be surprised if he does not catch us at least once. Why don’t we turn the tables and catch them too? While on this topic, I know what the rule is but I think it should be changed. If a player is running off the field with his back to the play he will have absolutely no impact on the play so there really should be no penalty. No harm, no foul. This is a rule that needs to be looked at. You see this happen all the time in hockey when players change while the game is in progress. As long as the player leaving the ice is within a few feet of the boards and has no contact with the puck there is no penalty even when his replacement comes onto the ice before he leaves..Another thing, I would like to see us in a “hurry up’ offense and try to catch the defense unawares. There could be opportunities for some big plays. I hope BA uses a trick play or two. I remember Larry catching a TD pass from Warner on a flea-flicker during the 2008 play-offs (against Philly, I think). That was a big play and did a lot to energize our guys and the fans and demoralize the opposition. Keep going.

16. By Marlin on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

News is the Cards are trying out veteran outside linebackers (Shaughnessy, Babin). Should we be more concerned about Marcus Golden’s injury?

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Golden

I think Golden will play.

18. By texascard on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

@marlin
    We will be coming to help with your effort. Rise up Red Sea

Darren. I have several friends who support the packers. Going into the first meeting they were quite vocal and some even traveled to the desert. They all have their head down and admit the season is over for them saturday night. Maybe it is “the bruises on their asses” which has quieted them.

19. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Dr.G. / Johhny –

RE: Rodgers

Yes, Rodgers is as smart and smooth as they come and he IS very good at that business of catching defenses with 12 men on the field. But that is not going to win him a game against the Cardinals on Saturday, even if he does pull it off once or twice.

BUT if there is a blue-print for beating Rodgers, the Cardinals executed it to absolute perfection a few weeks ago, right here at UoP. And I saw the Broncos do it earlier in the season with equal effectiveness. And that is by getting to Rodgers and laying plenty of hits on him. You saw him a few weeks ago – he was DONE long before he was pulled from the game in a move of total surrender by the Packers. He was getting hit all over the place and you could see it was getting to him. You could see that he wanted no part of the Cardinals anymore.

And the way the Cardinals were getting to him as effectively as they were was by the DB’s giving Rodgers NO PLACE to go with the ball. He kept dropping back and looking….looking….looking….and by the time he realized he had no one open, he was being swallowed by the pass rush.

Doesn’t hurt that we also snuffed out their run game from the word go. Our offense helped by putting the Packers in a hole early and making it less viable for them TO run the ball.

In short, it ALL came to together in one of the most dominant displays I have seen from the Cardinals. EVER.

Now, two things – one, the Cardinals may not be that perfect across the board on Sat night. And two, we can expect the Packers to come in here with more confidence, more motivation, and probably a different approach on offense than they did a few weeks ago. They have to. They can’t possibly come in here with the same exact game plan.

I have great respect for Rodgers. He is a tremendous QB. But we know that there is a way to rattle him and get him out of his game. So, we gotta make that happen. And on both sides of the ball, the Cardinals are well-suited to make it happen.

20. By drblogubc on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

@vsancards, you make a good point about the home team QBs’ lack of playoff experience this past weekend. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that of the 8 QBs playing this coming weekend, Carson Palmer has the least amount of playoff experience and is the only one with no playoff wins. In contrast, Aaron Rogers has 7 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring. This scares me more than a little. Let’s hope Palmer comes out hot and gets his first post-season victory!

21. By Dr. G. on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Darren – – Every little advantage at this point in the 2nd season can be big? Will you please pass on my “”12 men” post to the coaches? We do not want to see any free 1st downs or 5 yard freebies the rest of the way… Thank again for what you do…

JBluenose – – Agreed on your 12-men commentary is sometimes nit-picking. Have you seen a no-huddle like this? – – a guy stands by the sidelines, just inches on the field facing the Line just before the no-huddle snap, or maybe have his back to the Line with his arms crossed, and then comes out for a wide open pass play. This trickery happens a lot in high school and even in college. We did it..!! Naive coaches/players fell for that a lot.

We like to think everyone on the field, to include the refs really know all the things that can happen, but you remember the Cam Chancellor swat out of bounds that made a difference in the game…We can name many more…but you get it… I think the players/coaches need to be tested on paper to help them clarify the rules…later

22. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

Johnny Blue –

In 2008, they used a flea flicker for a TD to Fitz against the Falcons. Against the Eagles, the play they used was more dazzle-dazzle and they nailed it to perfection. I forget how the play started, but JJ Arrington threw back across the field to Warner and Warner launched it down field for ( guess who?🙂 ) Fitz, who came back to get it, then scored. It was a thing of beauty. A thing of beauty with a bonus – the Eagles were called for a VERY late hit on Warner ( poor babies….they were obviously frustrated ) and that 15 yards was enforced on the ensuing kickoff.

Man, what a day that was!!!

Darren – do you remember, was it after this score or Fitz’ 3rd TD against them in the first half that day when the Cardinals pulled that pooch kick that DID stay in bounds, WAS touched by an Eagle, WAS recovered by the Cardinals…but was given to the Eagles by the refs?

BTW, the NFL DID comment on that play a day or two later and DID confirm that the refs blew that call, it should have been the Cardinals ball. And if we got the ball, I’ll bet we would have seen a FOURTH TD from Fitz!

23. By Dr. G. on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

JBluenose – – I just re-read your comment and have to clarify. I am not talking about hustling off the field ((as they should))… But, Rodgers looks for this only in no-huddle situations; he and his team are very good at this and he will audible this as a play to hike the ball “now” if he sees the opportunity… When there is a huddle, it never matters. But Rodgers looks for it…. It’s not only a call against the Defense. It turns into an Offense strategy to make them pay…be well…

24. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 11, 2016 | Reply

And this just in….Cincinatti’s Vontage Burfict has been suspended by the NFL for repeatedly seriously injuring opposing players. And he has the nerve to appeal. If the NFL really wanted to send the proper message they would get the Bengals to release him and then conspire with the other teams to not sign him. I know, will not happen. But I’m sure that his driver’s license would be forever revoked if he was continually and purposely driving in such a way that the public was at risk. So, why not here? And yet, DWash has been suspended for 32 games (and counting) for using some kind of drug(s). As far as I know DWash never tried to purposely injure anyone on the football field and yet he is likely never going to play again and Burfict will be back by late September. Those are the rules. Most of you think that’s okay but I don’t get it. And Kerry Rhodes has not played since 2012. He was 30 years old when he last played. That year he was rated the 4th best safety in the league by Pro Football Focus (whoever they are). Rhodes was released by the Cardinals during the 2013 off-season because he refused to accept a salary cut. Rhodes apparently still wanted to play but never signed another NFL contract. There has been some speculation that he may have been black-listed by the NFL but nothing more than that. And, who would admit to that anyway. So DWash sits and Kerry Rhodes sits and Burfict will be back playing his usual game before you know it. I hope the next player he deliberately injures sues his ass off and the NFL too.

25. By jeffcardinalfan on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

the cards will win this game provided they dont have more than 1 turnover and pressure rogers-they cant let him make big plays down the ioeld.

26. By joe 67 on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

Marlin, I sure hope so. Gonna need lot of support in this one.

27. By joe c on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

Longtime, devoted Cardinals fan here, all the way from Rhode Island…trust me it’s tough living in Patriots country but I represent the Cardinals well over here…Go Cardinals! Got an extra voice on the East Coast!

28. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

Scott H….am always impressed by your ability to remember plays that happened in the distant past.

29. By Steve W. on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

I’ll be watching from Virginia, rooting for the Cards as always! Hope to see a giant sea of Red and only the occasional ‘blip’ of cheesehead green and yellow.

Lets go Cards!!!

Steve W

30. By clssylssy on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

I see where Cory Redding & Alex Okafor were placed on IR and non football related reserve??? Don’t recall hearing BA mention anything previously about them not being healthy for this divisional game & am a bit concerned about late changes in the roster especially after the contributions of these players. Matt Shaunassey was on the roster previously and wondered if this is an effort to “beef up” the defense?
    As far as Carson having the least playoff experience , we can look at the wealth of players and coaches with playoff and SB experience around him and feel pretty good.

31. By MikeFlorio on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

Pennywise Bro’s hymn – should be our teams anthem after the past two seasons we have had! OOOOHHHHH OHHH OHHHH OHHHHHH!! Tyrann my brother this ones for you!!

32. By Scott H on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

We are now without Okafor and Redding for the rest of the season??? OMG, are you kidding me????? This is no small thing.

33. By joeyk on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

Just bought nosebleeds for 200 a piece! lets go red sea! cant wait!!

34. By OhBoy! on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G — “Will you please pass on my “”12 men” post to the coaches?”

You can’t be serious. Do you really believe you have just discovered inside information, that somehow everybody in the Cardinals organization down to the janitor doesn’t already know this? And, do you really think that Darren Urban is going to walk up to one of the coaches to offer this steaming pile of golden knowledge?

He’d get laughed out of the room.

35. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G….I have seen a few plays like that in my day. One in particular comes to mind. It happened in a play-off game in the Canadian Football League around 1960. I would have been eleven years old at the time but I was watching it on tv. Late in the game Bobby Simpson, a receiver for the Ottawa RoughRiders went down the far sideline for a deep pass that was incomplete. He took his time getting up and rather than return to the huddle he sauntered back along the sideline. Both benches were on the other side of field which were 65 yards away because the field is wider in the Canadian League. It was a bit foggy and no one noticed him. Somehow his quarterback saw him standing out there all by himself and they quickly broke the huddle, threw him the ball and he scored a touchdown. After that, they put in a rule that made it mandatory that everyone had to huddle up. Another play I saw at a college game about 30 years ago was also interesting. The quarterback was under centre and the ball was snapped or so everyone thought. the centre held the ball against his leg while the quarterback went through a bunch of fake handoffs and running around. The defense paid no attention to the centre until he took off running with the ball and he picked up about thirty yards. They may have banned that type of play afterwards too but it sure had everyone scratching their heads and no one really understood what had happened until it was later shown on the tv news. Isn’t football a great game?

36. By Scott H on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

Yeah, I hear ya. Four days away from a divisional playoff game and suddenly, we are without 2 defenders we’ve been counting on all year. This is NOT the time to be hearing the words Next Man up….

Regarding Palmer, I didn’t even realize it until recently that he has never won a playoff game. I really didn’t know that. Not the greatest thing to hear about your QB, but Palmer should be about the last thing we are worried about. I worry about him getting hurt ( I’ve worried about it every time he has taken a snap this year and I will continue to do so🙂 ), but….that’s all. Remember, he had the horrible knee injury in his first playoff game against Pittsburgh that ended his day before he had a chance to maybe win that one. I remember watching that game. Never would I have imagined that, what seems like 20 years later, Carson Palmer would be the most important man on the planet ( where football is concerned ). The man is playing his best football ever, MVP-caliber football, at 36 and he’s got the best team around him he’s ever had. Looking at it that way, he’s never been in a better position to win a playoff game than he is now. He doesn’t have to do anything other than play as well as he has all year to get it done.

37. By rod on Jan 12, 2016 | Reply

Go Arizona Kernel’s !!!

38. By DTL on Jan 13, 2016 | Reply

OhBoy! Lol, solid post. Dr. G meant well, (dont mean to condescend) but man did I get a good laugh from yer post…wow…laughter breaks the tnesion of 2 weeks off, bottom line: Cards have never been more ready, so tee it up

39. By Chris G. on Jan 13, 2016 | Reply

The problem with opponent’s fans in our stadium will go away as The Cardinals continue to win. You look at teams like the Cowboys, they were a winning team for many years and gained a fan base from all over the country. Now they suck, but they still make the headlines and have the fans. I know Cowboy’s fans that have never been to Texas. When teams win, the bandwagon fans jump on board, and the team’s games get televised nationally. The Cardinals had a few nationally televised games this season so that’s a start. Don’t forget that Snowbirds with enough money to buy second homes in the desert, wont blink at the cost of a ticket. My former neighbors in Tucson are from Wisconsin, they are huge Green bay fans, and they are proud owners of Cardinals season tickets. There will always be the opposing team’s fans in our stadium, but the red sea will continue to grow. The next time you see a Seahawk fan at a Cardinals game, ask them why the like Seattle. The answer will most likely be… I like Russell Wilson’s commercials for insurance, razors, headphones or whatever else. Maybe it’s the team colors, or they also like to chew gum with their mouth open like Pete Carroll. I doubt they will give you an answer related to football. If they do, enjoy having someone of football knowledge to cheer against. How much fun would it be if there was no opponent fans to yell “you suck” at?

40. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 13, 2016 | Reply

Chris G — Winning helps, but Arizona is at a disadvantage because (a) we have so many transplants who keep their allegiances to other teams, and (b) it’s a great place to visit, especially during the latter half of football season. Would you want to travel from Phoenix to Green Bay to see a game in December? Probably not, but plenty of Packer fans wanted to come here.

Cardinals fans need to get over this… There are always opposing fans in the stands at NFL stadiums. We will almost certainly always have more because of the two factors I just mentioned — but, as Chris says, if the team keeps winning, it will become less of a problem.

41. By Scott H on Jan 13, 2016 | Reply

Kevin –

Good points, and you are right on. This will always be an “issue” to some extent here in Phoenix because of the great destination that it is and because it is / always has been a place where the whole country comes to retire.

Really – do you think Seahawk fans are flocking to late December games in Cleveland? No. They are not. Some? Yes. NOT like you see here. So, let’s not give them and their 12th Man mystique more credit than they deserve. When I see thousands of them flocking to Buffalo in Week 17, I’ll think about it.

Also, I considered this more recently….has anyone paid attention to the crowds when the Dolphins / Jaguars / Buccs visit?? As those areas have good year-round climates and they are also good / great destinations….I wonder if you see those fans showing up here.

But I agree, it’s not an issue to lose sleep over. I thought it was AWESOME to see all those Packers fans looking in shock and dis-belief when their team was getting run out of the building. As long as the home team wins, who cares who is there to see it??

42. By bill on Jan 13, 2016 | Reply

cards fans are at it again 14,000+ tickets on stubhub right now some people will b eating some money because flights from gb & milw too expensive it may be a sell out but cheap tix will b available sat

43. By Chris on Jan 14, 2016 | Reply

Packers will win by 10. I am not a Packers fan but the Packers were one of the best teams in the NFL for the first 4 weeks of the season and Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady were already being called the MVP front runners. They fell apart for a while and needed that one game to get them going. They got that last week. They are the last team I would want to face right now just saying.

2. Jan 24, 2016: Divisional playoff date sells out - NewHomeAz