No trash talk for Fitz — just “professional”

Posted by Darren Urban on January 13, 2016 – 2:46 pm

There was a good story in the Wall Street Journal today talking to defensive backs who have battled Larry Fitzgerald over the years. Many like to trash talk. None trash talk Fitz, because, frankly, Fitz is too nice. “He’s asking how you’re doing, how your family is,” said former Panther and current Viking Captain Munnerlyn.

Fitzgerald wasn’t quoted in the story, but he was asked about it today.

“I’m just one of the guys, honestly,” Fitzgerald said. “Guys talk crazy to me, I usually don’t say anything, but if you are just talking regular … I’m not trying to lure anybody to sleep. He’s got a job to do, I’ve got a job to do. I’m just professional about my job. I’m not trying to hurt anybody or do anything malicious. At the end of the day, I’ve got a family to feed just like he does and we’re going to go out there and do our best, and the best man is going to win.

“I think there is a professionalism you can take to it. I just try to be respectful to the game, respectful of players who play it, because this game was great before I got here and it’s going to be great after I leave.”

KindFitz

Tags:

13 Responses to “No trash talk for Fitz — just “professional””

1. By 'ZonaFan89 on Jan 13, 2016 | Reply

Couldn’t ask for a better, classier guy as the face of our franchise. Fitz is worth every single penny we’ve ever paid him. It’s impossible to give a guy like Larry a good contract. When people think of the Arizona Cardinals, they think of Larry Fitzgerald. I dread the day he’s no longer part of the team…

2. By Richard S on Jan 13, 2016 | Reply

You can’t teach hands and Fitz has the best hands around.

3. By Eric G on Jan 13, 2016 | Reply

Don’t worry ‘ZonaFan89, with Keim and Michael Bidwill at the helm, I think the day that Larry is “no longer a Cardinal” will be the day he retires. I have some doubt that Michael would let him suit up for another team before he retires.

4. By dynosoar on Jan 13, 2016 | Reply

It’s been noted before that Larry always gives the ball to the refs after a play or touchdown. It’s also been noted that over the last couple years, most of the Cardinals players have adopted this practice.

Huge respect for Larry. He gets excited and it shows, probably more when someone else scores even than when he does. Huge respect.

5. By Eazy E on Jan 14, 2016 | Reply

It is hard to trash-talk somebody asking genuinely about your family for goodness sakes! My favorite player of all-time!

6. By Scott H on Jan 14, 2016 | Reply

ZonaFan89 –

Well said, sir. That says it all. In a time where pro atheletes are so often in the news for reasons ranging from bad to horrific, how great is it to have a guy like Fitz playing for your team? He is one of THE best face-of-the-franchise players the NFL has had in recent memory. And, yes, he HAS been worth every penny. He is a guy you could point out to your kids and say that is an example to follow, both on and off the field.

7. By clssylssy on Jan 14, 2016 | Reply

Nobody does it better! Larry Fitzgerald has elevated this Franchise to a new level through his amazing all-around skills as a player, his leadership and commitment to winning as a team, but moreover for his outstanding sportsmanship and respect shown towards his fellow players,coaches, fans ,and the game. In a day when many players, while loving the life of a celebrity but not wanting to be held up as a role model, Fitz has embraceded the role and been someone any mother would choose to have her child model themselves after. Fans of other teams are cheering for the Cards because they love watching Fitz and want to see him win a ring.
    Hopefully Carson will remember who his most reliable and consistent go-to guy is and will use Fitz’s experience in playoff games/SB as well as his exceptional skills to get us to the next level!
    This organization should be proud to have Larry Fitzgerald as the face of the franchise as there is only one!

8. By Michael S on Jan 14, 2016 | Reply

I pray this is the year! We need to get that man a ring!

9. By Scott H on Jan 14, 2016 | Reply

Just continuing my thought…when you see players ( idiots ) like Burfict and Adam Jones cost their team a playoff game, how great is it to have guys like Fitz? When you watch players like Dez Bryant and Greg Hardy ( one idiot, one absolute criminal ) have their sideline tantrums and slapping clipboards out of their coaches hands, how great is it to have players like Fitz?

But, really, it goes beyond Fitz. This organization has done a good job ( comparatively speaking ) of building a team of good character guys. That includes the coaches.

10. By Dr H on Jan 14, 2016 | Reply

Fitz is a class act and the younger guys on this team seem to look up to him and follow his lead. But class seems to permeate this team starting with Fitz and Palmer. You can’t help but love them more. Now let’s get these guys a ring!

11. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 14, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

That’s why, whenever anyone’s asked about “what’s up with Daryl Washington” for the past year-plus, I’ve said, I don’t care — I don’t want him back.

Tyrann Mathieu had issues in college, but I believe in second chances and redemption, and he’s been a great example for people who might want to see how you can turn your life around.

But I don’t want thugs, I don’t want players who beat their wives/girlfriends, I don’t want headhunters, I don’t want drug problems on this team.

Character counts. Just one more thing that makes it great to be a fan of this team at this point in its history.

12. By Scott H on Jan 14, 2016 | Reply

Kevin –

I hear ya. Agreed. From Warner to Matthieu to Palmer, this team has had so many great stories over the last few years.

And where Washington is concerned…..whether anyone wants him back or not, it doesn’t seem to matter. Because it looks like it’s never going to happen.

13. By Jake on Jan 15, 2016 | Reply