Packers aftermath, heading to NFC title game

Posted by Darren Urban on January 17, 2016 – 1:09 am

Where to begin.

Let’s start here: I can’t recall a crazier ending for the Cardinals. Ever. That playoff win against the Packers back in the 2009 season was back-and-forth too, wild swings of emotion, but that was simply offensive football played at an incredibly high level. I’m not sure exactly what Saturday night was.

There was one guy playing at a high level. It was Larry Fitzgerald, and that’s the best place to start. I think Fitz had already made a strong Hall of Fame case. But what he did Saturday, basically jump-starting a moribund Cardinals offense by himself, and then making that play in overtime to race 75 yards and set up the (well, his) game-winning touchdown. I know there isn’t much more to be said about Fitz that hasn’t already been said, but Saturday night? That’s how legends are made. They are made with epic playoff performances like Fitz had in the 2008 Super Bowl run, and they are made with 176 yards on eight catches in a dramatic overtime win against the Packers to put your team in the NFC Championship.

— Next, Carson Palmer. It wasn’t Palmer’s best game. During the game there were plenty in the Twitterverse that blamed Palmer’s issues with his Bengals background. There is no question Palmer was off at times and that end zone interception was, in a word, terrible. You can’t do that in that situation.

But Palmer bounced back as Bruce Arians always says he does. He was under more pressure than the Cardinals can afford to let him be under – the Packers had the better pass rush this time around. And the way Palmer miraculously spun out of what should have been a sack and somehow found Fitz on the 75-yard play was as critical and clutch as Fitzgerald’s effort on the other end.

— Palmer gets his first playoff win. It wasn’t perfect, but who cares? Not Palmer, that’s for sure.

— The first person in the end zone after Fitz’s TD to congratulate Fitz was former teammate-turned-scout Adrian Wilson. A great moment.

— Speaking of Wilson, he stood next to Justin Bethel tucked in Bethel’s locker after the game, quietly talking to the cornerback for a long time. I would guess it was words of encouragement after some tough moments for Bethel, not the least of which being Jeff Janis getting behind him to convert that fourth-and-20 play at the end of the game.

— The game was so nuts that the touchdown pass to Michael Floyd that was intended for Fitz, deflected high into the air and toward the back of the end zone, over the head of another Packer and Jaron Brown, is a footnote.

— Floyd, about that play: “I think God was on our side on that one.”

— Here’s a new one: Patrick Peterson was sitting on the floor in the locker room having athletic trainer Michael Blankenship remove tape off his ankle, when a reporter wandered over to ask him a question. Soon, Peterson was surrounded by media – so he sat on the floor, outstretched legs in front of him, propped up by his arms, doing his entire media session.

— Linebacker Kevin Minter, on watching Fitz tonight: “That’s that guy I watched growing up.”

— The Cardinals blitzed Aaron Rodgers on the Hail Mary. They did it from his right so he couldn’t roll into his power. And he still escaped and flung a great pass so his guy would have a chance. Sometimes, you have to tip your cap to the other guy. I’m guessing the Packers – after the hurt wears off – will do that with Fitz. And you have to do it to Rodgers.

— Sure, the Cardinals could have run the ball on second down, right before the two-minute warning and their final field goal. They could’ve burned up another 35 or 40 seconds. But Arians went for the kill. “I play to win,” Arians said. No risk it, no biscuit. I’m sure there are those who have issues with the call, but folks, if you are following/rooting for this team, this is what you signed up for.

— I could write more, but it’s time to go home. Got to get some sleep so that I’m up in time for Seattle-Carolina. It’s on to the NFC Championship.

FoitzBlog

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

63 Responses to “Packers aftermath, heading to NFC title game”

1. By Mike on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

What a great game! Carson Palmer, Michael Floyd, John Brown and of course Larry Fitzgerald played with the heart of champions! I kept hoping that David Johnson would have a break out play but the Packers defense looked a lot tougher against our run game this time. The great thing about the Cardinals is you never know who is going to have the great plays. We have so much talent on this team someone always steps up and carries the team. This game was defiantly Larry’s game but let’s not for get Michael Floyd’s fantastic contribution. Our defense did such a great job keeping the Packers out of the end zone. The defense gave 110% the entire game and looked fresh throughout the game. A few more sacks would have warmed my heart! How about the Red Sea? When the Packers drew the false start on their first play I new the fans weren’t going to let the Packers forget who’s house they were in! The fans never gave up on our Cardinals and our Cardinals never gave up on their fans! What a great game. One more win and we are in!!

2. By Jon on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren is the game going to be on Sunday at 4:40pm our time correct?

3. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Jon —

RE: NFC Championship time

Correct. 4:40 p.m. AZ time, 6:40 p.m. EST.

4. By Steve on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

So happy the Cards won the damn game despite not playing well, Carson once again overcame a shaky game and found some magic in the end with Larry. Congrats to the team for advancing past a tough Packer squad and into the NFC Championship game! And thanks again Larry Fitzgerald!!!!!

5. By Garry Dunne on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Was on the edge of my seat in the last QTR with both my boys (wife went shopping), cant wait for next week. Go cards.
    Fans here in Brisbane Australia.

6. By AlltherightCards on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

WOW, Cardiac Cards of old got nothing on these guys! I think I had better start on some blood pressure meds for our run to the Super Bowl. What a game! Not sure my heart can take any more? Michael Floyd is on to something, even God is an AZ Cardinals fan with his comment about his circus TD catch, “I think God was on our side on that one”. Who else could have scripted such an unlikely yet profoundly amazing game? How does a coin not flip? Football “gods” nothing, the BIG MAN Upstairs loves HIM some AZ Cardinal Football!

God willing, Cards all the way to Super Bowl #50 “#FiddieBowl” 50 years in the making!

7. By jeffcardinalfan on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

1-would someone please tell carson that if he feels that he has to throw into double coverage to JUST THROW IT TO LARRY-flashback to 2008!!

2-i sincerely hope that as great as PP played that BA chews his tail off for taunting on the int return that was called back

3-anybody wana bet that there is some practice time spent on Hail mary coverage?

4-WOW, GREAT WIN AGAINST A TEAM THAT WAS EXTRA MOTIVATED AFTER GETTING THEIR TAILS WHUPPED A FEW WEEKS AGO!!

8. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

The game speaks for itself….one for the ages when your team wins. And as much as I am impressed with Larry Fitzgerald I am equally impressed with Adrian Wilson. Thanks for sharing that. Keep going.

9. By Perry matherne on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

I’d like to say Darren,an overall great game with an awesome ending.Great ending!

10. By Corgon on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Please, Darren please, put on the Fitz run and TD in spanish.🙂

11. By Sean Hamilton on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

#BIRDGANG

12. By Dr H on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Darren’s right, we signed up for a team that has the guts to throw the long ball – Arians doesn’t crawl to the end zone, but sprints and it makes for an exciting game.

Well, Larry is just the best and what a class act to send his well wishes to Chris after they just won the game!

Carson got us there once again! Without his spin move, and great eyes down the field, we may not be here today. What a godsend he is!

Great kicks by the Catman to keep us in the game and what stops our defense made to hold them to field goals.

Glad to see the Badger with Bidwell enjoying the game. Hope he can be on the sidelines for the next 2 games so he can climb up on the podium when we win the SB!

Congrats Cards, the best team in the NFL!!!!!!!!

13. By robert on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

BA….what a horrible call right before 2 minute warning to pass the ball and stop the clock..a terrible defense that let that 4th and 20 completion. Bethel had a terrible game..looked completely lost on several completions. Stupid play by PP for taunting…what the heck..he is our leader doing something a punk would do.
    I guarantee that if we don’t play better next week we will not only lose but get blown out.Plus Palmer’s throws don’t look the same as they did before the injury.

14. By Marlin on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

From our seats I can tell you…..props to the Red Sea. Our crowd was loud and resilient and dominant and sincere. It was a great community feeling.

15. By Marlin on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Fitz is among the most special professional athletes in any sport in any era. We witnessed him basically saying…….everybody get out of the way, I’m taking us on my back and bringing us to the championship game.

16. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Darren –

Great summary. You covered everything I was going to comment on, and I was wondering who that was that mobbed Fitz in the end zone.

So, who do you think Fitz will choose to introduce him to the Hall of Fame crowd the night he is enshrined in Canton? Warner? Arians? Will Larry’s bust have his trademark dreadlocks?🙂

17. By joe holst on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

the offense is going to have to clean up a lot of mistakes to make it the whole way,I think the BYE week made them rusty.

18. By Richard on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Fitzgerald in the end showed that the Will To Win can make up for some very bad plays. I am glad he had the chance to shine again in the national spotlight in playoff game after two years of injury and doubts.

A few takes on the game. I think Patrick Peterson had two major faults. The first was the ridiculous taunting on the interception return, which had it been the only penalty would have had just as bad an effect. The second, while he shut down his side for most of the night, how do you not play to keep the ball from being caught rather than go up like you were gifted an interception.

That being said, the defense kept them in the game until the offense could get it together and make the fourth quarter score.

The next game will be interesting. Bethel is sure to be targeted as much if not more. Carson needs to get a good start and rhythm,and hopefully that finger is not quite an issue. Larry, just be Larry. Heart and soul of this team.

19. By jetstreamgreen81! on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

What a game! Fitz once again shows he is the GOAT WR in the playoffs. 8 games 53 receptions 912 yards and 10 td’s. The #’s speak for themselves. Bad officiating all game both ways. I was sure they were going to call holding when Calais got tackled on the Hail Mary but sure enough, nothing and they didn’t even show it on replay. All they could talk about was the throw and catch which were great. Good win but a lot to fix if they even want to have a chance against either team next week. I think one of if not the worst games played this year and to win says something. Peterson also cam up huge and if he isn’t the best cover CB in the league he is top 3. I really want to face the Seahawks again to beat them to get to the Super Bowl. Go Cards and let’s get to 50!!!!!

20. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Well, we can say it was a great game now that it is over!! We move on and that was the goal. But…man, do ya think the Packers are calling it a great game??? It was as exciting and dramatic as an NFL game can be. It was a great game to watch if neither of your teams was playing. But for me? It was definitely a Maalox night. WOW.

BTW, Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy must be feeling like they can’t BUY a win in UoP stadium.

Larry Fitzgerald was off the charts last night. With that fist catch along the sidelines in the 2nd half, he made it clear – he was putting the offense on his back and he wasn’t gonna be denied. You can SEE how bad he wants this. Man, he just LOVES to dance on the post-season stage.

Carson Palmer….something is clearly NOT right. He got it together a little bit in the 2nd half, but….sorry to say, it almost felt like they were gonna have to win that game in spite of him. And they almost did. The INT to Floyd?? WTH was that??? There are bad decisons and there are bad throws. That was both. Never mind that his finger may be affecting some of his throws. His finger didn’t make the decision to make that throw. First and goal in the 4th quarter of a divisional playoff game and you make THAT throw??? I honestly thought we gave it away right there. He almost threw another INT trying to get it to Floyd again. Only a Sam Shields drop prevented it. And the fluke TD catch by Floyd??? Nothing short of a miracle. SHOULD have been intercepted. That was when it truly felt like we might have to win in spite of Palmer.

I know his finger is an issue. His throws are sailing on him. Fine. But he just….does not look right. And I am concerned. This offense led the NFL in yards per game with 408 and they had 75 yards of offense in the first half???? Then again….kinda hard for your offense to do anything when they can’t get on the field. I swear, when we got the ball with about a minute left in the half, I felt like we hadn’t seen them the offense in over an hour. And the Packers ain’t exactly the 85 Bears, ya know?

Our pass rush was not getting there last night and I have to wonder how much Okafor’s loss really matters. But the defense struggled last night, too. I mean, they lost Cobb early in the game and that left them with James Jones and NOBODY else that you’ve ever heard of. And, yet, they continued to move the ball and continued to make plays. Rodgers had entirely too much time most of the night.

The Packers came in here VERY well prepared to play a different game than they did a few weeks ago. And they were getting it done on both sides of the ball. When that started to become more apparent as the first half went on….the horror was setting in.

But….enough. I really didn’t intend to rant about all that was wrong. Bottom line, better teams find a way to win even when it looks a little ugly. I think our O-line and our QB need to play better going forward. Can’t rely on finishes like last night every week. Maalox ain’t cheap. 🙂

One more thing….my gosh, how irrelevant has Andre Ellington become??? My lord. How many plays was he even on the field for last night….3? 4? That comes as a surprise.

But it was awesome at the end, watching Fitz bring this one home. Just gonna kick back today and enjoy. Looking forward to the next step!

21. By dynosoar on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

My son and I were there. It’s never heard on television – after every catch by Fitgerald the stadium erupted in the chant “Larry! Larry! Larry!” That was Awesome!

I didn’t get to meet any of my friends from this site, but my son who wore his Reggie White Green & Gold jersey at halftime wanted a foam claw.

I asked him, “what would you do with that? Your a Packers fan.” He responded, “The cardinals are now my second team.” He was loving the experience and enjoying watching us play.

I don’t want him to just change his team, but there was power in that stadium that despite people saying we played flat in the first half, the team and the crowd changed a Packers only fan to having the Cards his second team.

Now for the world to see us and build a whole new generation of fans.

The Lombardi Trophy or Nothing at All!

22. By dynosoar on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Is there anyone who sees what I see? Larry Fitzgerald wants this and he’s hungry and capable.

Time to get him his ring.

23. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

When they said this referee crew is known for letting guys play, they weren’t kidding. A lot of no-calls — Rodgers often had enough time to make a sandwich back there… and I know their OL had some guys back, but they aren’t THAT good to give him that kind of time without some holding here and there.

The Rucker penalty negating PP’s INT return was one of the few times a call WAS made, especially one that didn’t really impact the play (he wasn’t getting to the QB anyway). Plus he was being blatantly held by Buloga — probably jammed him in the face ‘cuz he was ticked about being held. Still a dumb play by Rucker, and the worst possible timing for that. Complete game-changer.

I didn’t like the decision on the Hail Mary to have so few guys in the end zone. Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but I almost never see a Hail Mary succeed on those plays where there are 4-5 defenders jumping for the ball. Still, to think we wouldn’t have been there without a 50-plus yard bomb on 4th and 20… And of course I’m one of those who doesn’t like the decision to pass on 2nd down on our final drive, but yes, I understand, that’s part of what we get with Arians.

What a game. If you told me we’d have 2 Palmer INT’s and rush for 40 yards, I would have given us very little chance.

Speaking of Palmer, I love having him, but he does seem to make the occasionally boneheaded decision or throw more often than other elite guys. The first INT? No problem… it was 3rd and 11, you’re near midfield, and you gave your guy a chance to make a play… Have no problem with just heaving that one up there and seeing what happens… the INT gave GB the ball on their own 18, and an incompletion or sack probably does about the same (since you’d be punting). But to throw a pass where you aren’t properly planted on 1st and goal and watch it die like a duck falling from the sky… that’s another matter. The other seasoned QB that I see do this from time to time is Eli Manning. Just completely inexplicable throws — a guy trying to do too much in the moment.

We’re actually very lucky Palmer didn’t have 4 INT’s because it easily could have been that…

The good news is, we won a game where we clearly underperfomed. Hopefully we will put it all together for next week, ‘cuz we will need to.

24. By mal on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Darren-

Could you please (please please) have the video guys post the Spanish language version of Larry’s 75 yard catch and run in OT?

I love those — that one must be a classic!

25. By faster on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

when fitzgerald was catched 4 yards shy of a touchdown in overtime, i got Cardiac arrhythmias. with a happy ending two plays later.

and no, i have no problems with the playcalling, i`m cappable of suffering. and it`s not the problem, the problem were the 40 rushing yards. let`s hope, we win the next game in a simmilar fashion (well, maybe a bit earlier) and then can insert chris johnson again.

26. By georgiebird on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

WOW! What a game. Larry won the game almost by himself- what a performance. The Cards won a playoff game where everyone played hard but (except for Larry and maybe Floyd) no one else played a good game.
    We don’t have a lot of pro bowl players and that was evident yesterday. But we have a great team and (save the time clock flub) the best coach in football.

27. By voltron on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Palmer looked a bit nervous in first half…out of sync maybe; but much better i second half; floyd and firzgerald fantantic; our defense with the exception of the call where they caught Frosty did a great job…cant give those big yard catches in the final seconds!! But hey at the end cards won!!!

28. By georgiebird on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Everyone played hard on the defense- but the best player was the oldest guy-Freeney. (where was he on the last def play?)
    On offense- the oldest guys Larry and CP got us the win.
    C’mon younger guys- time to step up.

29. By Victor Leal on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Im glad BA went for it on fourth down early in the game instead of settling for the FG like he typically did throughout the season, being that close to the end zone. I think next week there should be a commitment to a QUARTERBACK SPY scheme…two cents well spent

30. By Big Ken on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

On the game tying score, I’m not so sure he had control when he was down. But in the end we prevailed. Epic

31. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

I saw a flashback:: 2009 Super Bowl where Fitz caught a pass seeking the end zone not to be denied. That game ended differently. I think Fitz saw that flash too… Fitz, you are simlpy the cerebral leader of this team who can dig down and pull what seems magical effort and results when a dire situation presents… And then point to “”a team win”” Pure class…pure class.

What can we say about Floyd? He’s a tremendous athlete “”who always pays attention!”” Oops, look what I got..! He deserves max praise as usual.

Palmer wants to appear rattle-proof for his team, but some jitters creeped in there. But, “”no-quit”” Palmer grits his teeth and hangs in “”for the team.”” A solid, classy humble leader…good on ya bud..!

32. By dmoore3399 on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

What a crazy game. Not going to say great because we didn’t play great. Had some great plays. Defense held Packers to 6 points in the first half which was outstanding. I’ve been a Cardinals fan since 1960. Went to games at Sportsmans Park in St. Louis, Bush Stadium, The Coliseum in L.A. so happy when they came to Arizona. This was one of the craziest.

33. By Dr H on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

I think Carson put a lot of pressure on himself. He’s that solid leader that probably takes on too much of the responsibility than he needs to. Not having won a playoff game and probably remembering what happened to him when he was in a playoff game – he tore his ACL the 1st time. The 2 weeks off probably got him thinking too much. I think he was trying to do too much and wanting to get us the win – I think when he let others take some of the load (i.e. Larry), he got looser. Did you see that spin move he made to avoid the sack? That’s our Carson. I think know that the monkey’s off his back, he’ll do just fine and lead us to SB victory!!!

No worries. CP always gets us a win.

34. By georgiebird on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Charlotte weather on Sunday January 24, 2016.

54 degrees and sunny

35. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks Patrick Peterson needs an attitude adjustment. This has been evident for awhile now. I think Justin Bethel is not the only one who would benefit from listening to Adrian Wilson. Play and play hard and get rid of the theatrics.

36. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Sunday AM after viewing many post-game interviews…. I know, here we go raggin’ on Patrick Peterson. He was ultimately disappointed that he could not be a hero in his own mind when an errant pass led to an easy INT. So, in ESPN interviews, he was quick to criticize Frostee Rucker when the play was called back. I could not believe my ears. No class PP. A team player, or a sad egoist? Trying to make it sound funny…not… Please engage brain before opening mouth.

Then PP blew off the question about being called for “”unsportsmanlike conduct”” and pivoted to how he got hosed by Frostee. This guy embarrasses our team with his self-centered posture. For those fans who wear #21, please consider wearing #11, 15, 3, 93 or anything else… I am prepared to take any heat…be well, Cards fans

37. By Joanne Archibald on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

I want to know “what’s up with Chris Collingsworth ?”…. Why do we have to put up with him??? He is so anti-Cardinals I think we should refuse to play if he is the color analyst😤

38. By Dr H on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Joanne, I noticed that too. All the stats etc were about the GB or Rodgers. I don’t think they talked about the Cards for a total of 1 minute in terms of interesting stats etc. It sounded like the Rodgers and GB show last night. Well, who cares, we won because we’re the better team. Sick and tired of Aaron worship…..The ESPN highlights had the hail mary throw and then never showed the winning TD of the Cards. Yeah, remember, the Cards WON, GB didn’t.

39. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Archi… yes, it seemed both announcers were rooting for Green Bay…ad nauseam.

And, Cards Fans, yesterday turns out to be the final game here for 2015-2016 …what a barn burner for the finale! Our team was awesome at home this season. I am already getting withdrawal symptoms…. This entire Cards’ crew & organization can be proud to having put lots of things in the record books. Now, on the road to spook the Black Cats.

It’s only a game?? Well, the NFL league is an awesome experience…!

JeffCardinal..yeah, we need some practice on the Hail Mary…PP got beat on that play…just sat there in the end zone after the play a few seconds thinking how he just gave up 6 points, then trashes Rucker after the game. Nada…I was peeved.

And…props to the Packers for bringin’ it…still not a Clay Matthews fan though.

C’mon, c’mon guys, I wanna play…just 1 more win and I can.!! Sincerely, CJohnson

40. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Darren, much grass for providing the medium for fans to vent and share the fun. You’re the man..!!

41. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Hard to criticize PP for anything, but….could he have played the Hail Mary pass the the end-zone any worse than he did??? I am still shaking my head over that one. How did that happen??? Did anyone else see it that way?? The Cardinals had 2 defenders deep in the endzone, just sitting on that throw. PP was one of them. They were right in position to make the play. I thought for sure it would be intercepted or at least knocked away. Then here comes the GB WR down the field and he goes up RIGHT IN FRONT of our two defenders, and comes down with the ball. HOW DID THEY LET THAT HAPPEN WITH THE POSITION THEY INITIALLY HAD ON THAT BALL?? That was bad.

42. By CreditCard on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Cards / Panthers for NFC Championship. I actually think this is a good match-up for the Cards. It will be a tight physical game. Both teams have excellent players, coaches, GMs, and good community support. Again, s/b an excellent game.

My opinion (whatever it is worth) Carson Palmer looked fairly similar in passing performance in the 1st half as he did against Cincy. He may have been overly pumped up or excited etc… I think with now one play-off game under his belt — he will do much better.

As early posts suggested … please have Fitzgerald’s 75-yard catch and run along with the shuffle pass TD in Spanish.

43. By Richard S on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

It was nice of Larry after the Hail Larry theatrics in one of the interviews to let Craig Mortenson know he was thinking of him. What a humble guy.

44. By Derek DeVore on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Last night was Epic in Cardinal History! It was a roller coaster ride for sure. But, in the End 2 future Hall of Famers made Amazing play’s. First the insane hail Mary by Rodgers! I was shocked that he was able to loft it and the catch was made. Then it was Fitz! The Play that will always live in Cardinal History! An amazing effort by Palmer to get free from rush. Then hitting Fitz who made a fantastic run all the way to the 5 yard line. I paid $200 to go to game and Cards came through for me and our City!!!

45. By robert on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Peppers beat our LT a half dozen times and our LG Lutui, man he is not playing well. the whole left side??? Thats the problem with Palmer..he is not getting the time…Where is 14? Where are our Tight ends? That will open up the deep ball, just what BA wants? Then somebody ask BA what is going on? I’m telling you Palmer is not throwing with the same zip..no way in Hell we beat Carolina unless or D line and O Line pick it up

46. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

So, it’s on to Carolina for us. I really do not mind that it played out the way it did today. I am not afraid of the Seahawks. But the fact is, the Seahawks have beaten the Cardinals every time they have come to UoP during the Russell Wilson era. He has played us better there than he has in Seattle. And if ya saw the BA interview at half-time of the game today, you heard him say it ( facetious or not ) – he’d rather play the Seahawks in Seattle. But the Seahawks no longer matter. It’s the two best teams in the NFC next Sunday. The Cardinals are one of them, the Seahawks are not.

But today’s game was interesting. First half? Panthers 31, Seahawks 0. Second half? Seahawks 24, Panthers 0. NEVER saw anyone dominate Seattle like the Panthers did for the first 30 minutes. And it was NO surprise that by the last few minutes of the 4th, the Seahawks were only one score away. Makes ya wonder if the Panthers just tried to run and hide in the 2nd half, thinking they had it won. Not sure what we take from that, but….the Panthers are the real deal.

Going to Carolina does not concern me. The weather today was a bit of a surprise, but….that was not the norm for that area. And it ain’t like the Panthers are a seasoned cold weather team.

We need the O-line and Palmer to be better next week to play the game we need to play to bring this one home. I don’t see our defense winning it, nor do I think we can beat the Panthers by running the ball. Obviously, balance on offense is the ideal. But we have gotten where we are on the arm of Carson Palmer. And he is the engine that needs to drive next week to beat this team.

47. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Kevin –

I am with you, I was NOT happy with the play call to THROW when I thought running the clock down as much as possible was THE best course of action. But, yes, I understand, that is what we do. Live by the sword, die by the sword. And we live much more often than we die. That said, if we had gone on to lose that game…..how forgiving would we be this morning?

Since we are talking about it, what did you think of the throw on that play? I mean, Fitz has no shot, the ball was so overthrown. Do you think the over-throw was another throw that sailed on Palmer, OR was that Palmer throwing high intentionally because of the coverage / no chance he was going to it ti Fitz?

Bottom line, that scenario bought Rodgers and the Packers 30-40 more seconds. And the sword almost got us.

48. By CARDS62 on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

On to Carolina and I think the only way we win is Carson Palmer has to play a great game with no turnovers. Hope he can have a few nice runs and slides for us. I think this was Carson’s worse game of the year and we still won the game. Understand fans being upset about the out of bounds pass to Fitz around 2 minute mark, but I also put this one on Carson. He is a veteran and if the play is not there you tuck it and run based upon the game situation. Carson head was not right so hopefully Carson will relax and play like Warner against Carolina. I say like Warner because he is going to have to get rid of the ball quickly against Carolina’s defense.

Our o line as a group was awful in the first half and awful all game trying to run the ball. So many times our running back was met in the backfield by a defensive lineman and Carolina is better than Green Bay. I give much credit to our front office for trying to improve our o line and Iupati was my favorite off season move before the season started, and I know he made the pro bowl this year, but Iupati has not impressed me much this year. Front office please keep working on improving our o line. I am also not a Bobbie Massie fan, but he seemed to play his best two games of the year against Green Bay. Think he was our best lineman against Packers. What do you think?

I think our defense has lost too much this year Honey Badger, Okafor, Cory Redding, Corey Peters, to stop Carolina and Cam Newton this game. Carolina WR did not scare me, but then I see no name Packers WRs having big games against our Friendly Skies Defense, and watch Carolina O line do a great job against Seattle’s defense and I just do not think we can stop Cam or Tom Brady.

So it is all on our offense now to get us our Championship, and we win or lose based upon Carson Palmer in my opinion..
    Q Do you play Peterson on Olson or Ginn or just his side? If it is me I do not put Peterson on Ginn as I want Peterson around the ball more this game.
    Q Do you think Carolina will put Norman on Larry Fitzgerald? If I am Carolina I put Norman on Fitz to try and stop the greatest Cardinal of all time.

Great comments by one and all on the Packer game. I will just share that I thought the officials were not very good. Green Bay first 3rd down I watched two of our guys held and nothing was called. I Watched few other plays with our guys held and once C. Campbell had a guy wrapped around his neck and C. Campbell was held and taken down on the hail mary play. Also watched a few of our linemen hold Packers that were not called.
    Proud of David Johnson as nothing good happened in first half or most of the game, but he kept his head in the game and gave great effort and made some plays for us late. Watch # 52 Matthews for Green Bay on Larry’s catch and 75 yard run. He rushes pass Carson and then chases after Larry all the way down the field to the end zone. He did not tackle Larry, but you have to appreciate his hustle.

Go Cards beat Carolina

49. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

robert –

Did you mean Iupati?? Lutui has not been on the roster for several years….pretty similar names, though.

50. By Dr H on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Enough already about Palmer playing better…..if anyone knows that it’s Carson himself. I think getting that first playoff win off his back will help him play looser like he did toward the end of the GB game. He’ll be fine.

51. By DrH on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

Remember that even if he didn’t play as well as usual, HE STILL GOT US THE WIN.

52. By TucsonTim on Jan 17, 2016 | Reply

The OT coin toss was a metaphor for the whole night…

Blakeman was making up and enforcing rules as he saw fit

I mean there are rules for offensive holding but the rules for offensive mugging are just not clear…so let the guys play and no matter how many times the Packers O-line grabbed and tackled it just couldn’t be called. I’m sure Rodgers and the league didn’t want a repeat of the 9 sack destruction on a Saturday night in the family hour.
    In a football league that can’t coherently define what it means to actually catch a football, is anyone surprised that a referee can just pick up the coin and toss it again, WTF why not 2 out of 3 next time…well I guess that was 2 out of 3 wan’t it. Better yet lets just do rock paper scissors…2 out of 3?

53. By Eazy E on Jan 18, 2016 | Reply

Amazing game from both teams! WOW!!!

QB:

Carson is something else for better or worse! He was off, discombobulated, made bad decisions, and then was better when he just got the ball to Larry Fitzgerald! He ended with a terrific game going 25-41, 349 yards, 3 TDs, but 2 Poor picks! The first one Mike could’ve helped him by knocking the ball down, but why the heck did he throw that with Ha-Ha coming over quickly. The 2nd was arguably worst with Damarious right underneath and in perfect coverage with Larry reasonably open with Ha-Ha coming over on the left, but I think Larry would’ve still got it. I think Larry was reasonably open on both picks. The first TD to Floyd was a beautiful throw, the 2nd was pure luck honestly, and the 3rd was the game-winner on the shovel pass to Larry!

RB:

Running game whether it’s David, Andre, etc. was non-effective because of the penetration of their front 7! David had 15 carries for 35 yards, but did catch 6 passes for 43 yards and big 1st downs.

WR/TE:

What else can we say about this young man named Larry Fitzgerald?! He just took over the game when he finally started getting targets and ate up any DB on the Packers with 8 catches for 176 yards and a TD! Carson got loose and spun on a defender and found a WIDE OPEN Larry Fitzgerald and he did the rest with the cuts, stiff-arm, and that speed people ‘claim’ he don’t have anymore! It was poetic justice for him to get that TD on the shovel pass that he said they have been working on for like 18 weeks, what a time to pull that out! Floyd had a modest game reception and receiving yards wise with 3 catches and 26 yards, but had those 2 big touchdowns! John Brown had some important grabs too finishing with 5 catches for 82 yards.

OL:

They got it handed to them last night honestly! No running game and they got at Carson and knocked his game off a lot! Give the Packers credit though, their defense is legit, but they outplayed us in the trenches! Peppers gave Veldheer problems, Daniels had a sack, and Perry collected one, and they had just consistent pressure!

DL:

Their O-Line held up very well against us this time because our pass rush was inconsistent and they ran for a total of 135 yards! Eddie Lacy especially had a game and that run wasn’t a good look. Freeney had our only sack and seemed to have the only legit pressure while he was in there.

LB:

Bucannon, Minter, Golden, and Martin I thought played fine, but overall no glaring weak games from any of them.

DB:

Patrick blanketed a good receiver, even very good receiver in James Jones with only 2 Targets and 0 Catches!! I hate that that pick six was called back, but Frostee’s hands we’re in the facemask, but that didn’t affect the play because Aaron was moving to his left anyways and the taunting penalty was garbage and ‘classic’ NO FUN LEAGUE BS!!! These are Grown Men, they should be allowed to celebrate as long as it’s not really disparaging, but pointing at the guy was innocuous! Powers played well, but Bethel better get his game right quick because Cam and the Panthers are next! The pass rush or lack thereof too many times hurt him. He has to stay with Janis and I was yelling at the TV, ”just keep running, just keep running”. He got away with a pass interference on the 3rd down before the infamous 4th down. The safeties though played very well which was no shocker with Rashad having another nice game with 4 total tackles and a pick off a Calais Campbell deflection! Tony Jefferson led our team with 9 tackles and I loved his blitzing! My man Swearinger and Clemons only played on special teams.

ST:

They had a solid game overall.

On to Carolina and the NFC Championship Game…

54. By Daniel Thompson on Jan 18, 2016 | Reply

Recipe to beat Carolina……….gameplan to stop the run and force Cam to throw the ball so the Panthers can’t run the ball and the clock out so our offense can have more chances to score………..we need to run a hurry up offense and just come out firing ALL DAY………let Palmer just wing it all day……if we lose, we lose but we lose with our holster empty and play to our strength.

55. By Daniel Thompson on Jan 18, 2016 | Reply

Calais Campbell should just stand in one spot during the entire play and stop wasting his energy because he never goes anywhere anyway. Gameplan for Campbell against Panthers, stand and jump and maybe knock a Cam Newton pass up in the air, I know Cam throws a lot of slants to his left.

56. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 18, 2016 | Reply

Kevin and Scott H….Agree with both of you that that was not the correct call. Sometimes I think Arians puts himself ahead of the team with his play-calling by wanting to enhance his gunslinger reputation. But ultimately Palmer has the final say and I don’t think that play had much of a chance and should have been changed.

57. By Dr H on Jan 18, 2016 | Reply

It’s easy to criticize Palmer on his bad throws but how many QBs can say that they’ve got us to the playoffs 2 of the 3 years he’s been QB? We should have gotten in the 1st year despite having won 10 games. He had won enough games so that we could get to the playoffs last year even without him. We’ve won at least 10 games each year Carson’s been our QB.When did we do that last before Carson? Remember the agonizing years between Warner and Carson? How many QBs have won 10+ games 3 years in a row? Not many. How many QBs can overcome a mistake and get us a win anyway? In fact, the very thing that some one of you are complaining about is the BEST thing about Carson. THAT HE CAN OVERCOME A BAD THROW AND GET US A WIN ANYWAY. ISN’T THAT ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITIES IN A QB? IN FACT, ISN’T THAT EXACTLY WHAT MAKES A QB GREAT?

58. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 18, 2016 | Reply

EasyE….agree with you on Bethel. He looks lost out there, especially when the quarterback is given enough time to survey the field and throw it down the field. Bethel always seems to have his back to the play and does not get his head turned around to knock down or intercept passes. And, I like Swearinger too and I hope he gets a chance to play more.

59. By Dr. G. on Jan 18, 2016 | Reply

J-T-D-G – – – You must be holding your breath until after the Carolina Game. There has been just too much crazy stuff to offer rational perspective. We just roll the dice or “”flip a coin” huh?

This team wants to prove its long-term mettle; January 24th will be the measure of how we can go on the road and prove it. We know that Arians wants to formulate a “solid” game plan without all the heart-pausing antics…and then execute that plan… Win or lose, we need to see solid effort. That is all we can ask…GO CARDS…!!

P.S. And PP will have a nice post-game interview…like… “I got nuthin’ for ya”…

60. By Dr. G. on Jan 18, 2016 | Reply

ScottH – – For saying it’s hard to criticize Peterson for anything, you did a fair job of it here on the end zone blunder. I covered that also. Truth is truth…

Tucson – – wtf on Rho Sham Bo, 2 out of 3…that’s rich….lol

JBluenose – – The Gunslinger? Yep; It’s called “”Arians it out.”” It’s in his DNA.!

I’m re-watching the game. The refs could have called the Rucker face mask both ways on that play. Refs? They let the boys play pretty much…not an easy game to call…later Fans

61. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 18, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

Re: the 2nd down throw to Fitz —

I guess I’m glad Palmer put it in a position where it had no chance of being intercepted. But in doing so, he also gave Fitz no chance to catch it, which makes it seem like a wasted play. And a wasted play that also stops the clock in that situation makes no sense. Love BA, and I understand “no risk it, no biscuit” most of the time, but there, the risk/reward ratio is too high IMO.

If Palmer were a running QB, I could see calling the play, seeing if the guy was clearly open, and if not, taking off to try to get back to the line of scrimmage (or better) so that the clock keeps running and the FG doesn’t get any tougher (assuming you don’t get a miraculous run on 3rd down). But with Palmer, we can’t really do that, and we weren’t THAT close to make it a gimme FG, so I wouldn’t want him taking a sack either.

Our 1st down play from the 5 in OT was kinda similar — Fitz was way overthrown… which, again, I didn’t mind (no chance of an INT), but seemed like kind of a wasted down.

62. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

As a follow-up, I heard Doug and Wolf on the radio this morning say that Arians had said that play was supposed to be a run, but the Panthers stacked 10 guys in the box. Larry was one-on-one and Palmer has the discretion to throw it to him. I didn’t hear the actual interview but the radio guys said that Arians said something like, well, it was going to be a run for a loss, so he decided to throw it.

I didn’t go back to watch the play (I’m at work now) but I can understand changing the play in that scenario. Personally, I’d probably still run it, but we weren’t THAT close to make it a chip-shot FG so a 2 or 3 yard loss could have been significant.

2. May 10, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | NBC Emmy after Cardinals-Packers