Fitzgerald’s love letter to Arizona

Posted by Darren Urban on January 19, 2016 – 3:25 pm

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald penned an article for The Player’s Tribune Tuesday, talking about his love for Arizona, the fans and his career as a Cardinal.

It’s a relationship that, at times, wasn’t always a lock to work out, given where the team was and Fitz’s salary was at certain times in his career. But if there ever was uncertainty that this marriage wouldn’t last forever, that was taken care of last February when Fitzgerald got a new contract that cut his overall pay but raised his guarantees, paying him $22 million for 2015 and 2016. After that, we’ll see. A new deal? Retirement? The latter seems nuts after a season in which Fitz had 109 catches, but you never say never. Calvin Johnson is talking about retirement himself. If Fitz does keep playing, I can’t see him doing it anywhere but Arizona.

His article, tracing his feelings of coming to the desert back in 2004, the emotional ride (and loss) in the Super Bowl season of 2008 and his feelings about this current team, is heartfelt. An excerpt:

Not many people realize that Phoenix is now the sixth-largest city in the United States. As this place grows (and grows, and grows), I think it’s important for there to be something that unites everybody, from the recent transplants to the native Arizonans who have lived here their entire lives.

I want the Cardinals to be that thing.

I want the Cardinals to be a team that you’re proud to root for and can’t wait to watch play. I want the entire state to always be itching for gameday to arrive.

There’s still work to be done — but we’re getting there. In fact, I think there’s only one, large, final box left for us to check off:

Win a Super Bowl.

Nothing less.

FitzAZBlog

Tags:

122 Responses to “Fitzgerald’s love letter to Arizona”

1. By BirdsSTC on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

God bless you Larry Fitzgerald

2. By DTL on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

“Larry, Larry, Larry” … Legend.

3. By Jim Happ on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

NOBODY has ever been a better citizen or more valuable asset to a team and a community than Larry.

4. By E Paul Lian on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

PROUD to be an Arizona,Cardinal fan. All the way in 2016…

5. By Dr H on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

I already can’t wait for Sunday to come around to watch my Cardinals.
    Thanks Larry, and stay a Cardinal for a long time yet!

6. By Black on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Whats so great about Larry Fitzgerald? All he does is catch touchdowns.🙂

7. By Scott H on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

So said Larry to his teammates on Saturday night – Climb upon my back, all of you, and I shall carry you across the finish line.

He is still carrying us. Palmer made such a great play to escape the pass rush ( and his own O-lineman ) and get the ball to Fitz on that play. But from the point of the catch, all the way to the 4-yard line, it was ALL Fitz. That was just a man on a mission….a man who wants this real bad and will put this team on his back if he needs to.

LARRY – LARRY – LARRY!!!!

Man, we NEED to do this while he is still here.

8. By CreditCard on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Key to the Carolina game …. Sendlein and both guards vs. Carolina’s DTs. As well as Gunter, Mauro, and Stinson vs. the interior three O-lineman for Carolina.

If the Cards win those battles …. they will win the game.

9. By Don on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

No matter how much you love Arizona, the team and the fans, we love you more. Thank you Larry

10. By Jackie Rueda on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

I love you Larry!

11. By KKO on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry, You COMPLETE ARIZONA. Nobody does it better and can’t wait to see you and the Cards shine in Carolina and onto the most deserving prize of all.

12. By Patti Dale on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

The Arizona Cardinals are not just a Team…They are FAMILY to all who love them!!

13. By Bertha M on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald, you the man. 😍

14. By Tania on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Very proud!!! I love every game day we play!

15. By T. Barnes on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry thanks for all the years of awesome football been a fan since 98 and let me tell you when we landed you I have seen so many more awesome fans thanks for staying all this time now let’s get a super bowl

16. By GT on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Mr. Classy

17. By Holli Muth on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

I have been a Cardinals fan since I was a teenager!! Sunday, as sick as I was with bronchitis and laryngitis, I was SCREAMING, or trying too, GO LARRY GO LARRY!! Just so much class and athleticism streams from him!! He is truly a Gentleman! Super Bowl Champs 2016!! Let’s GEAUX CARDS!!

18. By Rudy Reyes on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry you’re the best most influential athlete, professional, I’ve ever seen on TV you’re a class act! me and all my boys and Arizona family love you to death!!!! we have your back and support 110,000 %!!! love you with all our hearts, couldn’t be more proud to have you as a Arizona Cardinal you are so humble and such a great example to our youth and our elders here in Arizona and everywhere else !no one deserve a Super Bowl more than you and a ring!!!! let’s kick some butt next Sunday and get the Super Bowl win!!!!!

19. By Nancy Gernand on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

My 12 yer old grandson has made me a Cardinal fan. He loves you and always wears his number 11 shirt on game day. Thank you!

20. By Chris on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Classiest guy in pro sports!!!!! Young athletes should use him as an example!

21. By Chas reilly on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

How incredibly lucky we are in the desert to have Larry, Shane , Goldie ,,,, there is much to be grateful for with not just talented players , but class….

22. By Sandra Ramos on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Fantastic letter, we will be cheering the CARDS on.

23. By Hilda Ice on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

First of all my congratulations to the team for a great team work that makes the Cards keep rising. It’s an honor to have you Larry Fitz in the team. You are such a down to earth person and you humbly represent a great person and a team player. Wish you all the best and here’s a fan dreaming of going to watch you and the team play one day in the stadium.. Always take care.

24. By Lee Moffett on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry ! When I was younger my dad use to say to me why cheer for the cardinals ? I would always respond with one day you’ll see why. Bring that Super Bowl trophy to Arizona where it belongs !! #beredseared #birdgang #fitz

25. By Mirielle on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Proud of my team!! God Bless all of you!!
    Love you Larry!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️🏈🏈🏈🏈

26. By Dan Newton on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry, I’m sure I am speaking for an untold amount of people when I say how appreciative of your multi faceted, steadfast and loyalty to your commitments. Not to mention the amount of energy you produce and conduct to all that surround you. As a Cardinals fan, #11 has always been my favorite. I’ll be one of those at home on my couch watching you guys do your thing, play ball, however understated that may sound, it all means the same, play ball and most importantly, play to win.Have a great game and go Cardinals

27. By Ronald Finnell on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry, you are a shining star on and off the field. As a Arizona native we are so blessed to have you as a cardinal player. Know go get us the big prize.

28. By Jose Soto on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Well said brother…Good luck this weekend..

29. By TucsonTim on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Well, read my Keim post. There is one Hall of Fame player on this team who is not lazy..

Urban criticized my lack of practice posts, but I bet Fitz doesn’t have a practice problem; and I bet he would…or does practice 24/7/365, I bet he travels around the world just to clear his mind so he can focus on his practice more. PRACTICE is what differentiates the good from the great. Talent is just a ticket to practice. There’s a lot of talent in the NFL, but there are very few Fitzgeralds.

Seeing Fitz literally put this team on his back and take them to the NFC championship was amazing. A life lesson. Thanks Mr. Fitzgerald.. Thanks for not giving up when you were given Leinart, Max Hall, Anderson, Skelton, Lindley,Stanton, Kolb, and a coach who changed your position. Could Rice have done all that?? I don’t know but I do know if Fitz had had a Montana and a Young for 90+% of his carreer he would already be the #1 receiver of all time…which in my mind he will always be

I hope CP and BA figure out a way for Fitz to take this team to Santa Clara

30. By Daniel Thompson on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Michael Floyd show this weekend…..gonna need a huge game.

31. By sergio c on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

A statue of larry Fitzgerald should stand one day next to Pat Tilman’s.

32. By Diana valdez on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

I lobe you larry, you are an amazing human being and you most definitely deserve that ring so come sunday i believe you guys will defeat carolina, your ring is waiting for you larry and it has your name on it…..when the cardinals bring home the trophy i will be balling my eyes out along with thousands of other cardinal fans .sending with love for everyone on the team…..go cardinals

33. By Tomeya on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

I moved to Phoenix in Oct. 2008. That year I became a Cardinals fan and have never wavered since. Larry is an absolute gem to not only the organization but to the NFL and society as a whole. He is honorable, invaluable, and the heart of the team in my opinion. I love my team! All the way in Dallas now and I only scream louder to block out the whimpers of the Cowboy’s fans. I will always and forever be a part of #BirdGang! #BeRedSeeRed #ProtectTheNest all the way to the Super Bowl! Go Cardinals!!

34. By Joe Newby on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Your a class act Larry!!! Proud to be a Cardinals fan!!

35. By Frank b on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

There has not been another player since Walter Payton left this game that showed so much enthusaism as you do. In an age where all that matters is money, it is nice to see someone looking at the bigger picture. That picture is leaving a Legacy. This has to be the season you deserve it! Arizona deserveds it! I am transplant from IL that has followed the Cardinals since 2000. Its nice to see what you and the tean has done.

36. By Rod Goebel on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

I had known Jesse Owens in the mid 70’s, I can tell you that Larry has reminded me of Jesse Owens for many years now. His being a role model… his modesty, and athletic talent very much like Owens through the years!

37. By DTL on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Just saw the banner ad on right side. As much as I love the Legend of Larry, I am not getting the Larry Card! Haha.

38. By Andrew W on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Between Larry and Shane Doan the valley has been blessed with two the best humans (and captains) we could have ever asked for.

39. By Lynn Arthur on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald you are a Great role model and an inspiration to a lot of people.
    I watched the game where you went up to an old retired veteran shook his hand and said thanks for your service.you are the reason I am proud to be a Cardinal fan.
    David Robinson from the San Antonio Spurs. Has a work ethic and well mannered just like yourself.
    you are two professional athletes that know how athlete should behave.
    Now let’s bring it home.

40. By Linda Schanbacher on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

We love you, too, Larry! You are a classy guy and a tremendous asset to all of us and, of course, to our favorite team! I want the Redbirds to win the 2016 Super Bowl, and I know you can make it happen. CARDINALS CAN DO!!!

41. By Andrew W on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Between Larry Fitzgerald and Shane Doan the valley has two of the best humans (and captains) we could ever ask for. Keep it going gentlemen!

42. By Steve Gerhart on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry, all of Arizona appreciates you beyond what you do on the field. Thank you for everything. I don’t like when people say you are such a classy sports figure. It’s true, but you’re just a good person period. Sports figure or not. You’re a motivator. An inspiration. An all around great man. That just happens to have velcro hands and an ability to block and make plays happen.🙂 Thanks for being Larry. Go Cards!

43. By Curtis on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Thank you Larry! AZ is getting to be one of the best states to live in but don’t tell anybody. You are an Arizonan and we are proud of that fact!

44. By Alan Erickson on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Phoenix and Arizona are the most fortunate NFL city and state to have Larry Fitzgerald and a rising super power Cardinals.

45. By Bonnie Small on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry you have given us so much pleasure ! In fact this is one of the longest weeks so far waiting to watch you and the team again! But this is it so go for that Gold! I am from New England but have lived in Arizona since 1971 ! I want so bad for our guys to play that final game against my old Patriots team and WIN the Super bowl! Play smart and safe and stay sharp! We all love you Larry! Thank you for the great ride!

46. By Camilo on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

You sir, are among the classiest players in the game today. I was just commenting, during last Saturday’s game, how much your opponents respect you… both as a player and as an individual. So glad you stayed with the Cardinals.

47. By MastrP on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

This guys like no other!

48. By Valerie Enoch on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Super Bowl win or no Super Bowl win, Cardinals is already that team for me and always has been! Although a Super Bowl win would be beyond freakn awesome! 😊 I Love You Larry, I LOVE YOU ALL CARDINALS! YOU ALL ARE AMAZING! 💕

49. By Julie sasseen on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

We are already there Larry- at least I am. NOTHING gets in my way to see a game- I even streamed it at 2am in Amsterdam last season. I look forward to my season tickets showing up and I even drive all the way from Lake Havasu to every home game! We love you Larry and we love the Arizona Cardinals!!!!!

50. By Nathan Vick on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry,
    I’ve had faith in you from day one. You are the most amazing football player in the world. I’m so grateful you play for our team. Not only you but every other player on the Cardinals team. My name is Nathan, I’ve watched the Cardinals since I was in diapers. I will always love what you’ve done not only for the Cardinals but changing history in football. I’ll be rooting for you and our team Sunday night. You’re a true man. Thank you for being a Cardinal.

51. By Joe on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald is a role model ALL of us can emulate. He is truly a class act, on and off the field…GO CARDS!

52. By Barbara B on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry, you are the epitome of class, grace and humility. I admire and respect how you carry yourself and represent the best side of decency in the human race. Thank you for making so many people happy

53. By Alexis Ortega on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

God bless you Larry Fitzgerald you do so much for Arizona and not just football you are an inspiration to the youth and to the seniors of Arizona for example my lil brother that is a football player loves you for who you are and how hard you work he’s always cheering you on and has a big smile every time the Cardinals win in for the senior my grandfather is the biggest Cardinals fan I never knew and the same for him every time you catch the ball they make the biggest play of the games he always Cheers you on I never misses a cardinal game one of my wishes is him to meet you and he take him to a game . You inspire everybody to be a good person that you are. And all I can say go Cardinals and let’s get the Super bowl come on Larry we can do it Arizona all the way!!!

54. By Flams on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

I am so proud that Larry Fitzgerald is an Arizona Cardinal. This man is not only the face of our beloved franchise. But an ambassador to the entire NFL. He is an incredible human being on and off of the field. Would not trade Larry for ANY other receiver in the NFL.

55. By Juanvargas on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Fitz if you permit me to call you that I would like to say I started watching football because of you so if you leave i and many others will be sad and miss you but I understand you have to do what you have to do. I just hope and pray that you and our cards will accomplish your and their goal and get that ring. I’m sorry kurt couldn’t be in this run with you but at least he already has one. No matter what you do at least with me you have more than proven yourself. There are other players who play great but don’t have that heart which gives it all for the team.

56. By 70sCardFan on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Very few players get paid like that & still play hungry like Fitz does. Patrick Peterson is also one & will also make CardinalNation proud when the baton is passed to him.

57. By John Brown on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Arizona native….love seeing John Brown catching passes (my namesake), but nothing like seeing you, Larry, destroying the opponent. Live long AZ Cardinals!

58. By P kosecki on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

It is not just Larry but the whole team. I love to watch Larry play, and the rest of the tram. I think the team can go all the way, and Larry can get his ring. I will be watching the game from beginning to end.

59. By Valerie Collins on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

I love that I was born in Arizona and have lived here most of my life. It’s amazing to see what the Cardinals have brought to our state. We really have something to be proud of and look forward to. I can’t wait for football every Sunday. I think Larry Fitzgerald is an amazing player and person. I was happy to buy my son an official #11 jersey for my son. Our entire family comes together in person or social media to celebrate the game..win or lose. Thank you!

60. By Dianna on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry I wanted to thank you for what you are to Arizona and to this entire city and beyond. I’m so proud of our Arizona Cardinals team… you and the Arizona Cardinals have become the pulse of what makes this city beat….people are finally beginning to take us seriously. We have you to thank along with your teammates. you reflect PRIDE in what you do. You do what you do for the love of the sport. We so appreciate and love you for all that you are, the person Larry Fitzgerald is inside. This is our time, this is our year, it’s finally our turn. So PROUD of My Arizona Cardinals. My heart is so full, tears of joy and a love for my team overwhelms me, I’m so happy, I’m so excited to watch you play and, hear all the talk everywhere of MY ARIZONA CARDINALS…THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart. THANK YOU for being a CARDINAL.

61. By Cindy Macdonald on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

What a class act with so much talent. Gotta love Larry!!!!
    Such a great example of an athlete. Wish there were more Larry’s I’m the NFL.
    If he retires he will truly be missed!###

62. By Morty Chinnock on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry, it has been a joy to watch how you and the team have grown (especially since BA became coach.) It is always a pleasure to watch you guys! Go Cards! #noflyzone #angrybirds

63. By Jim Darling on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

ARIZONA LARRYS!!!

64. By Tony G on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Fitz…superbowl…hall of fame..thanks for the memories

65. By Queta Di Santo on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

So proud to live in Arizona and be a Cardinals fan and wear a jersey with “Larry’s number”

66. By JoeMoe on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

There you go Larry get the rest of the bandwagon fans on board! Cardinal fans always have been and always will be bandwagon fans! I live in AZ and only time you hear or see anything about them is when they are winning! That’s why they will never be Arizona’s team Phoenix can keep them!

67. By georgiebird on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry was exceptional. Rivals his SB performance.
    On another subject- Did Swearinger play much against GB?. Thought he was one of the better defenders at the end of the regular season.

68. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Swearinger

Swearinger did not play a defensive snap against the Packers.

69. By Maggie Reef on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald is a fine young man. A man that shows pride in the life he leads! We really enjoy watching Larry and every other #ArizonaCardinals! Thank you!

70. By Jeff on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Every team should have a “Larry” I live in Phila, take lots of grief, travel to watch You, Pittsburgh, Phoenix where ever when ever I can. You are a truly good person , I look at you and when I walk in my office each morning.
    Proud to be a Cardinals fan. BRING IT HOME!

71. By Claytonk79 on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Been a fan since i was 9 years old. Love Larry and that this City is comming around and following their team

72. By Todd on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

In league full of many good players but also many self centered, cocky, ultra rich, ungrateful players. Larry takes class of the NFL or any business out there for that matter to a new level. Never showboats, never talks trash, always respects his opponents, gives every play 110%. We all are having the honor of being able to witness then someday tell our grandchildren that I saw Larry Fitgerald play NFL football, whose legendary talent on the field was only exceeded by his character as a person. It already hurts to think of that day that he plays his last game. Larry is Babe Ruth. Larry is Walter Payton. Larry is Larry Bird or Michael Jordan. He is that special.

73. By Rusty Oakes on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Faith, Focus, Finish! Thank you ! #FFF

74. By Eydie Fernandez on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

As a native of AZ and whose family is mostly still here in the Valley, there is no better person who can unite Arizona’s citizens to the game of football, than you Mr. Fitzgerald! Always have been and always will remain a loyal Red Bird rooting for my home team, the AZ Cardinals! Thank you for sticking with us!!!

75. By Stephanie on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

My mother passed away on Christmas Eve after battling stage 4 breast cancer for 15 months. The last handful of months my mom was so weak that all she could do was be on the couch or in bed watching TV. One of her most favorite things to watch was the Cardinals and we would plan our whole schedule around the games. Laying there very weak she would still yell as loud as possible “go Cardinals”. She loved the game, she loved supporting her home team and she especially loved Larry. I know she was counting on the Cards going to the Super Bowl and when Larry made that last play…my sister an I looked at each other and got a tear…she would have been so happy!
    I can’t agree more with Larry’s sentiments…the Cards have the ability bring us together as a community but on an individual level they can provide so many other gifts! We will all be tuned in Sunday…GO CARDINALS!!!!! Love you Fitz, thank you.

76. By Kari H. on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Fitz! You are the man! Saturdays game had more ups and downs than I have ever seen. You were our saving grace! A pleasure to watch! I am an Arizonian….born and raised Thank you for your amazing performance! Looking forward to the next game! Bring it home for us! We need a Super Bowl win!

77. By Ivy Clay on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

👪Agreed!💪

78. By Dr. G. on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Mr. 🏈… destination H-O-F… 🌠

79. By ApacheJoe on Jan 19, 2016 | Reply

Been living in AZ all my life and the Arizona Cardinals is one of the only teams that unite the Tribe I live in, in more ways then one. This excerpt brought a tear to my eye and got me chocked up a bit but to Larry and the Cardinals this is one Apache that will always have your backs.

80. By meganmaz4 on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

I’m with The Cardinals big time! Larry, you seem like quite a HUMBLE type of guy! Keep up the great work!
    🙂

81. By dynosoar on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

With a response like this(71 comments and counting), we need more articles on Larry Fitzgerald.

I watched in the locker room after BA’s speech, the team chanted “Larry! Larry! Larry!” and he quieted them and said, we’ve got work to do. He had to have been smiling inside, but he just said. “We’ve got work to do. On Three.”

Then he walked to the side and Michael Bidwill hugged him and said something that sounded congratulatory and Fitz responded with, “Yes sir. Thank you sir. We’ve got work to do. Thank you sir.”

Even in a moment when most would be basking in the glory of their part in the win (That 75 yard run was a highlight for the ages and it was fitting Fitzgerald was targeted for the next to plays and scored.) even in that moment he was focused and respectful.

The Lombardi Trophy or Nothing at All!

(Or in the words of Larry Fitzgerald. “Win the Super Bowl. Nothing Else.” We should see his clarion call on a poster in the stadium.)

82. By OhBoy! on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

I wonder if Larry puts his pants on one leg at a time? Nah, he probably has a better way of doing it.

83. By RP on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Larry, you are the spearhead of a courageous team that has so much heart and belief in themselves. And thank God for coach Ariens – he’s is the perfect match for you guys. We are all proud to have every one of you players representing as this state’s NFL team. We love you a lot. Thanks for giving us something real in the sports world to believe in and support. All the best to you Cardinals! Rise Up Red Sea – take it to ’em you badasses!!!!!😉 GO!!!

84. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Andrew W….I have been reading Darren’s blog for many years and I have never before seen anything written about Shane Doan or any of the Coyotes. And never expected to. But I am a Shane Doan fan and you are absolutely right. Shane Doan is a class act. Thanks for writing about him.

85. By Lee W. Flanagan on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

I know that Larry is considered one of the most classiest player in the league. What really amazes me is how classy the rest of the leaders on the team are equally as classy.OMG. Don’t know to start. I’ll throw some names out there. Callais Campbell. Rashad Johnson. ..Dwight Freeney. ..Carson Palmer…Patrick Peterson . I could go on and on with the rest of the team. Praise to Michael Bidwell. Steve Keim, and Bruce Arians for getting these players we have now from top to bottom. ..CLASS ACTS.

86. By Debra taraba on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Love you Larry

87. By Az Brittany Guy on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Proud to have you part of our Arizona family. Win or loose your a great person.

88. By Claudia Ramey on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Larry, you are just winderful!! I was never into football until I met my husband 8 yrs ago and he start to explain the game. So I chose the Cardinals as my team because I am if course a native of Az. Long story short, we have been to a game every year as a treat to ourselves and every year we have gone we have won!!!
    I have become your biggest fan and will stay your biggest fan always. Thankyou for being you, A CLASS ACT!

89. By Andy Kw on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

LARRY! LARRY! LARRY!

90. By Sean McCreary on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Larry you embody the best in humanity, are a role model on and off the field, and a true ambassador for Phoenix and Arizona. Thank you for showing the world how a man takes care of business on and off the field. God bless you and your family and kick some ass in Charlotte.

91. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

JoeMoe –

Speaking of bandwagon fans….where have YOU been these last several years while most of the people here are blogging on a daily basis?? Your comments are just ignorant, man. They meet the true criteria for ignorance – thinking you know something about what you know little or nothing about. I’ve been a fan of this team since the mid 1970’s, and I know that many of the regulars here have been on board just as long or longer. And whether they have been fans for 4 years or 40, what matters is that they love this team.

You may live in Arizona but I don’t think you really see anything at all.

92. By Crow on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

i’ve been a cardinals fan for my whole young life and can’t stand people that jump on board the cardinals “fan”wagon just because they are winning. Most of us true fans sat their and watched part of our future thrown away with the trade for kevin kolb. Then had the whole kolb, skelton controversy, and fitz sat through all of it and made the best of every situation. He’s a class act and the best possibly ever. Hats off to you Mr. Fitzgerald!

93. By clssylssy on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Fitz is the model the NFL has needed for what a true professional embodies…ethical,talented,goal-directed,leader, & uncompromising in attaining his dreams while remaining humble,loyal and respectful to all.
    Arizona can be proud to Larry Fitzgerald for choosing to call this his home (and also to BA for recognizing he was in possession of the X factor all along).NOBODY DOES IT BETTER!!! Now, let’s finish this thing STRONG!

94. By Chris on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald is one of the world’s last true sports heroes, on and off the field he has continuously showed his love and support for his fans and our community, he is greatly respected here in AZ and will go down in history as one the greats and we will always be proud of our cardinals.

95. By Ruth siegel on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Such a class act!!!!

96. By Gabriel Trujillo on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Its been an Honor and privilege to watch you play Larry. For me an my family your success has translated into my fathers success and i couldn’t be more thankful ! GO CARDINALS FOR LIFE!

97. By Tyars Media Videography on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Amen brotha!

98. By Cindy Valdez on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

I always say we gotta represent our state no matter where we go! Being in the military we get to go many places and people always make it very clear that the cardinals still have a long way to prove them selves as a team. Well I know we will and I will remain a proud Cardinal fan forever. Let’s beat the panthers Sunday Larry! (Note that I live in NC right now so I NEED Y’ALL TO WIN) AND THANKS SO MUCH FOR LOVING OUR STATE AS MUCH AS WE DO AND FOR THAT WE LOVE YOU!

99. By Jorge Ortiz on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Amen!

Your one of the best Larry!! Arizona deserves a ring.

100. By Dee on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Heartfelt love and excitement to be a part of the Cardinals community. Best of Luck to the entire Cardinals team! Feel the LOVE guys, for each other and from your devoted fans and play your hearts outs!!!! 😃 😗 You’re so close!!!
    (PS: channel your inner Honey Badger!)

101. By Eazy E on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

The reason I am a Cardinals fan is because we drafted Fitz! I read one of his many pre-draft interviews and was moved to be a Cardinals fan!

102. By Larry Wagner on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Larry, a class act all the way. We sure hope when you & your body say
    the playing carrier is over that you & the Cards stay together. IMHO
    You are to big of an asset to the team & players, both young & old.
    Larry, you are the greatest. Larry & Lisa.

103. By Arnol on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

I’m French but I love Cardinals, I love Larry, I love Phoenix! Allez les Cards!!!

104. By dave on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

What a class act! love the guy, & the Team!

105. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Obviously, I expressed my opinions about Larry a couple blogs back that Larry is the greatest of all time up to his age of 32. If he stayed at this pace and keeps playing, he will reach a place where everyone will believe that.

Larry, Larry, Larry.

Now, revisit last offseason. According to several reports and radio guys, Larry was a forth option (behind John Brown, Floyd and Ellington) and the team (Keim and BA) were not going to redo his contract.

I, for one, thought Larry would never re-sign with az and was ready to move on. It was sad, but, a trade looked like what the future held. Darren thought a 3rd or 4th pick was about right. Many, including myself, thought give Larry a chance to be the main guy again and trade him.

But, as the story goes, Michael Bidwill stepped in, invited Larry to dinner at his house, and within 3-4 min, an agreement was made, as Michael said I’ll give you what you need.

This year we saw an emergence of Larry. It was said that Larry was finally healthy, but I am thinking it had a lot to do with the dinner with Michael Bidwill.

Darren, True or not.

If true, maybe we should be chanting Michael, Michael, Michael also.

106. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Dinner

There was always a desire from everybody involved to re-do the contract.

Let’s just say compromises had to be made. It helps when the owner wants to get something done.

107. By Charles Passmore ( Buddy ) on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Larry you are the reason I started watching Cards again was because, you showed us your dedication to Arizona, and any one that happy playing for AZ, is A ok in my book, plus everyone else that has chosen to play for AZ, is just as great.

108. By Lee W. Flanagan on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Get used to it CROW. All teams have the band wagon fans, fair weathered fans, and devoted fans. We should welcome them all. Get a Cardinals tattoo and you can always back your loyalty.

109. By Lee W. Flanagan on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Gabriel Trujillo- Love what you do. Sure do like the excitement you put into play by play. Sure would like an autographed picture for my Cardinal room.

110. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Crow,

Hey winning brings fans in. That is a good thing.

I welcome all our new fans. In fact, when the other teams fans have their heads hanging after losing to the cards, I remind them the team shop is still open on your way out.

But, if you really need to know, there is easy test to see who has been a loyal long time fan Arizona Cardinal fan;

Sure the stadium is rocking with chants of Larry, but there was a time when the chants for Larry was for a different cardinal.

I would say, if you are a long time loyal Arizona fan, you will know who they were chanting for, why they were chanting for him , and were part of that 25k fan base at sun devil stadium that endured 110 degree weather chanting for the other Larry.

If you were with me in those early days, did you ever think you would see a day when the cards would be in the super bowl, in the playoffs 4 of the last 8 years, and looking for another super bowl ?

Yeah , me neither.

111. By Raydon on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

We stand proud of our Legend and our Arizona Cardinals. Go and neuter a Newton Larry Legend !!!

112. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

JTDG…I wrote several times last year and the two years before that that Larry was having a difficult time getting separation from the defense and that his yards after the catch were not much. That has changed this year. It was certainly evident on Saturday night. I think being healthier has a lot to do with it. He is certainly a beast right now and if we win two more games this year I think Larry will have a lot to do with it. I do worry about the condition of the field on Sunday but it is the same for both teams. I hope no one gets hurt. I think we win easily if the Honey Badger is out there. Our secondary is a bit suspect without him. Hoping for the best as always but it won’t be easy.

113. By Jeff on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Larry,
    Regardless of your hall of fame talent, you are a great role model and represent the nfl and the Cardinals in the most admirable manner. You are a class act and your shout out to Mortenson after the game was a glowing example. Thank you for being such a quality human being and making our society a better place. With all of the nfl crazies that seem to get too much attention you are a breath of fresh air!
    All the Best!

114. By Diane & Richard Saine on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

You truly are the face of the “Arizona Cardinals”! Thank you

115. By MIKE G on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Hey Larry, I just spoke to GOD. He said that he will carry the team for you on his shoulders into that end zone. You just put the football where your teammates were and get to that end zone. No one man is meant to carry that much wait. It’s easy as MEN to point up “glorifying GOD”, after each touch down. It’s not so easy however to point up ” glorifying GOD” after a fumble. Yet we are to give him equal thanks for both! I think you are a man of great character on and off the field. God will love you or the team any less on Sunday if you lose. Neither will I. God I sure hope you kick there asses though. Just remember it’ easy to say ” JESUS, is all I need”, until JESUS is all I have”. God bless, hope to meet you sometime.

116. By jtahbo on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

We love you too Larry! Very proud of everything you represent as a human being and my all time Cardinal/Arizonan hero! God Bless and wishing you a Superbowl Championship that you deserve🙂

117. By Janis Gagner on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

It is so wonderful to have a class act overall great guy on our team. Larry is so humble and appreciative of all he has and works so hard. Of course a terrific player and a team player. The winers,complainers and trash talkers have to be heard less often and guys like Larry given more attention. I am proud to be a fan of such a class act team. Truly enjoying this as I was a season ticket holder at Sun Devil Stadium also. Thank you Larry for the great plays and for being a great role model to our kidds out there.Also such an overall great team! Go Cards

118. By Laura on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Proud to be an ARIZONAN …,even more proud of our Arizona Cardinals. I wish my grandfather was here to see how far the cardinals have come. We love you Larry. Your such an inspiration.

119. By Cameron on Jan 20, 2016 | Reply

Fitz is the man! I don’t know what I will do with myself when he ends his career with the Cards.

120. By Scott H on Jan 22, 2016 | Reply

Amazing…I am just taking note of how many names here I don’t think I have seen before. That is really cool. And it is no surprise that it is Fitz that brings it out of people.

I am just glad that my time as a fan took place during his time as a player. Because, really, there may never be another quite like him.

2. Jan 20, 2016: Fitzgerald's love letter to Arizona - AZCardinals.com (blog) - Love Status
  3. Jan 20, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | The biggest Big Red Rage coming Thursday