Keim on Palmer: “He will bounce back”

Posted by Darren Urban on January 25, 2016 – 8:16 am

There wasn’t a lot of time for reflection — Steve Keim did his radio spot just about five hours after the Cardinals landed on their return trip from Carolina — and the Cardinals General Manager was not surprisingly muted after his team lost in Sunday’s NFC Championship. But Keim made clear that despite Carson Palmer’s bad game, Palmer was the man who would lead the Cards into 2016.

“There is nobody I respect and appreciate more than Carson Palmer,” Keim said during his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. “In a league full of teams who are looking for a quarterback, I’m certainly proud he’s our guy.”

Keim was asked directly if Palmer choked.

“I don’t think he performed particularly well but I would say that goes for a lot of our players,” Keim said. “You look at the big picture and some of our stars had a rough night. But make no mistake, we wouldn’t have been in the position we were in without Carson Palmer and his play this year.”

Keim was asked again if Palmer’s finger was a problem. “He would be the only one who can tell you that,” Keim said (and Palmer has insisted every time it has come up that it was not an issue, including again last night.)

Going forward, Keim remains bullish on his QB: “I feel strongly he will bounce back and be ready in 2016.”

— Keim’s take on the NFC Championship overall: “It’s a bitter ending and the harsh reality of the NFL … 2015 was a special year for all of us, yet at the end of the day there are 31  teams that end the season in disappointment and unfortunately we are one of them.”

— “Experiences like this only fuel me,” Keim said, noting that this game will be a lot like the 58-0 loss in Seattle did a couple of months before Keim became GM. Keim said he is flying out to Mobile soon to do work at the Senior Bowl. “I couldn’t be more excited to put this team back together.”

— Asked what the first thing is on his priority list, Keim didn’t hesitate: “Create a pass rush.” The Cardinals didn’t do that enough, either last night or most of the season, and Keim noted that when a team has to blitz a lot to do so, problems can easily happen. He acknowledged the secondary did not play well in Carolina, but added part of that was because Cam Newton had too much time to throw.

— The offseason has already started. Keim said he and coach Bruce Arians were already discussing various offseason moves on the plane ride back from Charlotte.

— Keim’s final thoughts were simply that he and the team appreciate the fan support all season, including more fans coming to road games than Keim could remember. “I apologize we let them down at the end.”

Tags: , ,

75 Responses to “Keim on Palmer: “He will bounce back””

1. By 'ZonaFan89 on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

We will be back. Too much good leadership in this organization to not fix things and get better. We’ve had improvement each year under BA and I expect no different in 2016.

Just as the 58-0 Seattle loss fueled Keim to build a competitive roster, the 49-15 NFC title loss will fuel him to take us to the next level, and finalize a Super Bowl championship roster.

GO CARDINALS!!!

2. By Lyn on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Gonna be a busy man. Create a pass-rush? Of course but after making sure your QB is protected enough to achieve 95%+ of his passes without pressure? Love CP but we all know his limitations and that losing him to injury wipes out a season. Without a viable back up (it’s not DS) QB performance is the KPI for winning games (nothing new there) only then can you address strategies to pass-rush. Another thing, how much did did SK expect Freeney to earn in sack-bonus. Strikes me he exceeded expectations. So other than finding a younger (and cheaper) replacement I would have thought this years stats were acceptable (give or take).

3. By Rob Robinson on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

That’s why some QB’s are backup QB’s like Carson Palmer they choke.

4. By D on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

I just cancelled my hotel reservation in the Bay area. After watching that game I felt dumb reserving one many months ago.

I don’t think I have seen a game where all of the leaders and captains played so poorly. (Palmer, Fitz, Campbell Peterson)

Time to file holes. The Cards appear to be in decent shape Cap wise. Here are my first thoughts for the offseason.

I would plan on keeping the following players who are RFA on the team for several years. T. Jefferson, Jaron Brown, D. Fells and D.J. Swearinger.

Resign J. Powers and M. Leach. Both Freeney and C. Johnson to be determined as the offseason plays out.

Free agency: I don’t see Keim being able to sign a big time pass rusher along with filling other holes. V. Miller will be franchised. Although I would keep an eye out for Malik Jackson, DE in Denver.

1) T. Johnson CB Rams. (I see Bethel being moved to FS, maybe to replace R. Johnson who will get money whipped in free agency)
    T. Johnson can play man coverage very well and along with Peterson would give the Cards more options for blitzes.

2) S. Wisniewski Center. One of the biggest issues was the push the DLine players were getting against Lyle. I like Lyle S but it’s time for him to retire.

3) M. Schwartz or Bell at RT. I would sign a Vet Right Tackle who could play RG if needed. We all know Massie will be gone and the 1st round draft pick will be the hopeful starter next year, but it’s good to have a Vet backup who could push the kid. I would either start Watford or Cooper at RG. Larsen get’s over matched way to often to start next year and would let him go.

4) T. Hall OLB Chiefs. I don’t see Woodley back and Freeney is also 50/50, this team needs more Pass Rushers.

5) Sign a better Punter. Has to be better options in free agency.

Draft:

Drafting at #29.

This is the year to find a future replacement of Palmer. Unless TB changes their mind about not trading Glennon, appears the draft is the only option.

Draft C. Wentz QB have him sit a year behind Palmer and whoever we have as backup next year. I would think cheaper options than Stanton are available.
    If the Cards do find a future QB outside the draft or beyond the first round, then I would take K. Dodd DE from Clemson.
    (although this draft appears to be weak for QB’s outside the top 2)

Round 2- B. Kaufusi DE. Cards have too many older players at DE.

Round 3– M. Canady CB Virginia. If Powers leaves in free agency, I see AZ needing 2 CB’s. (one in the draft and one signed in free agency)

rest of draft: TBD.

5. By joe holst on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

depressing- We need to get rid of right side of o-line

6. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

So proud of this team! GM Kiem and BA will fix this! But yeah Cam had all day to throw! Now all of this team knows what it takes to take it to the next level. I think Carolina felt it last year and did what they needed to do! Carson knows he cannot force throws now and should just throw it away ( I hope?)
    41 years of being a Cards fan, saw the through the worst! This was a magical season thats why it hurts more!
    Like the saying goes, its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up!
    CARDS FOR LIFE!!!
    IMUA OHANA ( Go forward family !!!)

7. By Tony M on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Story dreaming Carson hasn’t won anything and he will never win time for a you g mobile QB Carson was embarrashing to this State Maybe you should go also

8. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Tony M —

RE: “go also”

If by “you should go also” you mean me … nope.

9. By Oszz on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Considering the monstrous front 7 of Carolina, I believe Palmer was play decent, Our defense put us in a whole, PP doomed us with the muff punt, even though his INT was clutch by that time the flow of the game was too much to overcome. The reality is we need Elite pass rushers and D Wash is missed immensely, the Top 2 defenses are advancing and that’s were we need to focus. Hoping for a DL/LB with our 1st two picks,

10. By Chuck 1 on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, Girls and Boys, that was an old fashioned Ass Whuppin’.
    A few takeaways (pun intended) from that dominating performance by the Panthers:
    • Palmer can’t and won’t take the Cards to the Super Bowl at any time. He might have been bothered by a finger problem over the last few weeks. However, his decision-making has noticeably been terrible as the season wound down and the pressure mounted, throwing into double coverage, overthrowing receivers and throwing interceptions.
    • I wrote several blogs ago that “Keim still has work to do on the O-Line”, citing the inadequacies of Sendlein, Larsen and Massie. For my opinion, I received numerous Thumbs Down. Well, how well did they protect Palmer and block for Johnson???
    • The Cards’ fans, posting before the game, wrote that Palmer should have a field day (providing he was protected) picking apart the Panthers’ secondary. That group was like Velcro on the Cards’ receivers.
    • The Cards’ defense is OK against Average teams. However, against excellent and elite teams, it’s exposed. Even blitzing five, six or seven,Newton still had time to eat a Grande Burrito and drink a Big Gulp as he casually picked apart the Cards’ secondary. Matheau and Okafor wouldn’t have made s significant difference. Whereas, the Panthers’ defense was able to be in Palmer’s face almost every time he dropped back to pass.
    • Oh, was that Ted Ginn, who wasn’t good enough to play WR or the Cards, but caught several passes, scored on an “end around”, returned a punt for about 40 yards and distinguished him self? And, most Cards’ fans thought that he’d play like he did for the Cards despite his good season.
    • Was that Fitz who dropped at least three passes? What was that about?
    • In the late 90s and early 2000s, Alan Greenspan was the Chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve. The stock market was going up and up and up. Mr. Greenspan said that there was “Irrational Exuberance” by investors. I think that too many Cards’ fan showed the same “Irrational Exuberance” prior to the game.
    • There’s a new “bully”, the Panthers, on the schoolyard (the NFL). Unless the Panthers suffer several key significant injuries and FA departures, the Cards will be unable to beat them unless Keim significantly upgrades the roster.

11. By DTL on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

“I apologize we let them down at the end.” Balderdash. Apology not accpeted.

NO apology needed or expected. The Cards in 2015-2016 were almost magical. No style points; we win or we lose. We got the L, get back on the horse, get inside DL pocket crusher, outside LB pass rusher, another CB, one dominate OL and we’re good to go to war…again. I’m ready for the combine.

PS: You will never hear CP refer to his finger. Stats dont lie: passer rating preinjury 108, post injury 78. Some poor judgments, but the finger was not right.

PSS: My deepest thanks to C. Palmer, Larry Legend, The Team, BA, S. Keim and M. Bidwill for the greatest modern era Cardinals regular season and 2nd best post season.

12. By Corgon on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

I was a proud Cardinals fan, I’m and will be!
    Go Cardinals!!!!! More than ever!

13. By Mike on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Disappointing end to a great season. Tired of the negative comments from these so called fans. We were 13-3 and one playoff win from the Super Bowl. There are some weaknesses that need to be corrected, but I have faith that Keim has the talent to do so. Did I mention we were 13-3 and our QB had the best rating in the entire NFL and will probably finish second in MVP voting? Did he have a bad game yesterday? Yes he did but so did nearly everyone else on the team. I am already looking forward to next year and another opportunity to compete for a Super Bowl victory. Not many other teams in the NFL even have a chance.

14. By Austen on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

People who say we should cut Palmer are obviously not thinking clearly. Now I think this loss actually will help him because next year in the playoffs he has to realize he can’t play any worse. I do think that the Cardinals need to draft a QB whether thats in the 3rd or later but the focus is the need to draft a pass rusher. We shouldn’t be drafting Offensive linemen with the first pick who are going to be “groomed”, that should be left for QBs and other skill positions. Drew Stanton is not the future. Now is the time to draft and build a QB under Arians and Palmer. Whats more of a need in the first couple of picks, drafting pass rushers or someone who can be nice complement to PP?

15. By texascard on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

To pretend that was a successful season is dooming these cards to be “the same ol cardinals”. Real fans will hold coach and Keim to higher expectations. That was not an acceptable performance by Palmer. Palmer = romo. Now it is for Keim to decide if cardinals = cowboys. Get to work

16. By Rock on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

No apology necessary Mr. Keim – we had a great season. 14-4. Would the fans have accepted that record and playing for the NFC championship before the season started? Hell yeah!

Darren, a question for you. Palmer to Brown worked great when defense was cover 0. Why do you think Carson threw to a 5’10” Brown when he was double covered? If he’s going to throw into double coverage, it has to be to Mike or Larry – both can go up and get the ball.

17. By Marlin on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

During the game, I was a little surprised to see our defense arguing on the sidelines. Any idea what that was about? Go Cardinals………….

18. By 'ZonaFan89 on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

P.S. on my earlier note – attention Panthers: we will remember that 2 point conversion attempt late in the game, when you guys scored to go up 40-15… With a 25 point lead already and only 5 minutes left, the only reason you do that is out of disrespect. Hey I get it, we’ve dropped 40+ a few times this year too, you were the better team last night. But we’ll remember what happened last night when we see you next season, better believe that!

19. By whoknowsnothing on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Thanks for 2015 Cardinals!!!! Carson Palmer is going to be the Cardinals QB next year and I’ll be there rooting for him!!! BeRedSeeRed

20. By clssylssy on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

I think Dwight Freeney gave one of the best interviews and gave some of the most profound insights about losses in these big games. Does it hurt, of course it does, and I think we can use this loss going forward to tap into next year when we are knocking at the door of the playoffs, to remind us the energy and passion needed to move on with success.
    As an O-line man himself, I’m really surprised that SK hasn’t made killer linemen a major priority and I think we saw how valuable these guys are to the overall functioning of the rest of the team. Our guys may be fast but they are small and if we are to be successful against these better teams we are going to need some sizeable linebackers to match up.
    This was probably the most talented team in the NFL and we have much to be proud of being the number 1 or 2 team throughout the year. CJ,Freeney, Redding,Swearinger…all were found gold and I wish we had been able to have them all on deck for that game as they added intensity . The sad thing to me is that some guys will lose their jobs as a result of that game.
    And while James B has done a good job as a DC,I think he was operating at a huge disadvantage because of his lack of experience;I’m afraid our. Defense would have looked even worse against a Wade Phillips or Bilichick D –that I put on Keim.
    I, for one, am glad we are in the NFC West as I think having to play tough teams twice a year makes us tougher and next year looks to test us further. We had success when we trusted the process and we’re winning one game at a time that seemed to be forgotten once we knew we were in the playoffs. Hopefully, we’ll be able to keep the team fairly intact and pick up where we left off. Next year WILL be our year! TEAM IS WHAT IT TAKES…BAD BOYS FOR LIFE!🏈

21. By shane on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

darren,

I hoped i was wrong but … ofcousre i had to be right & yes i believe if this game was played in az that it would have been a much different game as lopsided as it was. But im proud of this team & am glad to have carson as our Qb people are having so much fun bashing him on every website or twitter feed i see.. its sad i belive he will bounce back.

22. By shane on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

i also belive if this team wants to lift the Lombardy trophy next year or any year ,, they need to get the number 1 seed . The panthers had it got to the superbowl the broncos had it got to the super bowl .. the hawks had it the last 2 years got to the super bowl .. the saints & colts had it there Superbowl year on & on .. home field advantage in big games like that is a major major advantage. & if the cards can get the number 1 seed next year then they have a good shot at going to super bowl 51

23. By Scott H on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

I continue to appreciate Keim’s view of things. I think he takes a very real view of things. Speaking publicly, he let’s you know that there are problems and areas that have to be addressed but he does so in a diplomatic way.

I have every reason to believe he has the utmost respect / appreciation for Palmer and believes in him going forward. Palmer has earned and justified that, no doubt about it.

To be fair, I don’t know that any better option than Palmer exists for this team right now. So….they kinda have to believe in him.

I am glad to hear him identify the pass rush as a top priority for this team right now. Hell, yeah, it is. The days of sending a blitz on just about every play and still getting so little pressure on the QB have to be over. We can’t move forward with this approach. This team needs a true, bona-fide pass rusher. Without the Honey Badger, the secondary was very ill-equipped to hold up. We can’t move forward with the philosophy that the secondary will hold-up if the pass rush isn’t getting there. The adage it-all-starts-up-front came to be for a reason. We need the front 7 to HELP the secondary going forward.

I am glad to hear that he feels the pain just as we do. And that he intends to let it fuel him going forward. We have an excellent ownership / management / coaching structure in place. No reason to believe they will expect any less than to get right back to where we ended this year.

24. By OhBoy! on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Keim — “I apologize we let them down at the end.”

Eh, we’re Cardinals fans. We’ve been through much worse than this.

25. By Jacob on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

I hate Carson Palmer Realy bad he is the second worst QB ever he should be fired I hate Palmer so Much the worst QB Carson Palmer in the draft they need Jake Locker he is better than Palmer

26. By The Gman on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Did you see Calais talking to Ed Stinson on the side line and also kind of pushing him? Ed mouthed the words Don’t Push Me. Was the team’s love for each other unravelling under the pressure? I also saw Markus Golden upset on the sideline too.Fox cameras don’t miss much. The Cardinals shouldn’t be ashamed. The Panthers are 17-1 for a reason.I just don’t like how Cam Newton celebrates on first downs and touchdowns.I like the way Larry shows his class on the field.I’m not watching this Super Bowl because of Cam Newton.I’m going to wait for the 2016 Cardinals to play,since I am a loyal fan since 1966.Thanks for your hardwork Darren!

27. By Sherree on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

I’m so proud of our guys. They all have big hearts and the team is united win or lose. I am proud to wear my Cardinals wear and have believed in our team since they were the Phoenix Cardinals. Go Cards. We will do it next year.

28. By Robert on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

What did everyone expect? We couldn’t replace Honey Badger, we are too small and not physical enough when it gets right down to it with a 210 lb IL. Only a matter of time. I called it…we got blown out by Seattly and almost beat Carolina and if the game went another 5 minutes they would have won. WHAT THE HELL happened to our TE’s? That is what Seattly was doing throwing down the seams and getting the ball out much quicker than we did, plus Wilson scrambled for many great plays..that is the future…QB’s that can make a play or 5 just like Palmer did against GB in OT..One final note again, our left side played like crap..our LT was beaten in the last 3 weeks 5-10 times and our LG never looked the same after neck injury..well what a bummer..we were never in the game..i already bought my airfare..non refundable and had hotel reservations so what a drag..one more thought,,Keims drafts are not that great..see Cooper and Humphries..these first rounders need to play right away..we need bigger LB’s, faster stronger..

29. By Dr. G. on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Palmer needs sturdy countenance for a return bounce. He needs to vomit that dastardly fiend and clear his head…it can take some time. He has proven his ability to return from a bad injury. Now, as a physical issue needs doctors, it may be advantageous to spend a little time with a good sports’ psychologist. This should be routine for all the players, ((maybe coaches too!))

Matt Barkley may or may not be the heir apparent, but the time-lines and the logistics indicate that the QB draft surely needs attention. G’day Cards’ Fans…

30. By Tradersbrain on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Darren, As a long-time Cardinals fan I can remember the dark days following Kurt Warner’s retirement, so I am not going to deride my team and its players for losing an NFC Championship game. My question is: What caused this team to fall apart so quickly? It appears that the level and quality of play dropped dramatically starting with the season finale against the Seahawks, especially at the quarterback position. Any insight would be appreciated.

31. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Traders —

RE: Insight

Your guess is as good as mine. I don’t have any answers.

32. By Ginger on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you team and staff of our Arizona Cardinals! I had such a wonderful football season with you guys as MY team. The electricity I felt at all of our home games was absolutely thrilling! I was glued to the TV for all away games. I will use the off season to try and repair my vocal chords from my efforts to MAKE NOISE! Please don’t beat yourselves up over yesterday’s game. My heart breaks for every one of you, and I wish I could give each of you a big ol’ bear hug. You are still, without a doubt, the best Class Act team in the NFL. My prayers are with you and your families, and I love you all. GO CARDINALS FOREVER!

33. By drblogubc on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

I appreciate Keim’s response to yesterday’s embarrassing loss. What else can he say though? He also said a few weeks ago that he thought the Week 17 beating given by the Seahawks was an “outlier”. I said in my blog comment back then that I thought the Week 16 game against Green Bay was actually an outlier, a stronger than usual defensive performance, though against a wounded Packer offence. Everyone said the match against Seattle was a nothing game, that the Cards had nothing to play for. I disagreed at the time, believing it was a very important game to keep the momentum going. As it turned out it was a portent of the Conference final. They were exposed in the Seattle game just as they were last night. They seemed to react a little too nonchalantly to that first humiliating performance. And now they have repeated that on a national stage. Maybe the coaches focused a little too much on swagger and not enough on skill. Who knows? As fans we can only speculate.

Many players botched plays last night (Notably PP with his fumble and penalty that I believe resulted in a huge shift in momentum). But even with 12 minutes to go, I said to my wife, “if they score one more touchdown they are still in the game … ” Then a turnover by Palmer. Then another. Lights out. We needed an Aaron Rogers or a Russell Wilson. Palmer just can not handle that kind of pressure.

I feel badly for Keim. He has put all his eggs in the Carson Palmer basket. And Palmer has proven that, despite great play in many regular season games, he can’t go the distance even when healthy. Under pressure, he becomes a turnover machine. He is not in the same category as Cam Newton or Russell Wilson or Aaron Rogers. Few quarterbacks are, so there is no disrespect meant. It is just the reality the Cardinals must live with. And Keim must know it, despite his loyalty to Carson. But what else is he supposed to do?

As Keim says, elite quarterbacks are few and far between. Fortunate are those teams who have one. They are the ones who will be back in the playoffs year after year. And so I think it will be the Seahawks, the Panthers and the Packers who will take turns representing the NFC in the Super Bowl for the next several years. Cards might get a Wild Card position occasionally but are not likely to go any further.

That said, we have been treated to some thrilling games this year and some fabulous football. That’s what we must remember after the bitterness of Carolina fades away.

34. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Well, 28 teams’ fans were already thinking about next year before yesterday. Now we join them.

Of all the things that suck about yesterday’s loss, that has to be the biggest. Over 7 months ’til games that count again. Sure, there’ll be things to get excited about in the meantime, like the draft and training camp, but when you have a good team, you can’t wait for next year to start.

Especially painful for AZ sports fans that this ride is over, because the Suns are terrible, the Coyotes are meh and baseball is still a couple months away.

35. By georgiebird on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Palmer had a great year
    Palmer will bounce back as SK said but to what level?
    1) CP is not a championship QB- never has been
    2) CP can beat the majority of teams in the NFL
    3) CP can pad his stats with outstanding receivers
    4) CP should start in 2016 but he’s definitely not the answer.

A few weeks ago, I posted that you can’t compare CP to Warner. My post was met with about a 0-30 response. Try that response today. Palmer can be compared to two previous Cards QBs- Jim Hart and Neil Lomax. They were both very good QBs who couldn’t crack into the championship level-but not many can..

36. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Georgiebird —

Was is the basis for the statement that CP is not a “championship” QB? Simply the fact that he’s never won one?

So, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, Warren Moon weren’t “championship” QB’s either, but Trent Dilfer is. Karl Malone and John Stockton weren’t championship level players? Neither was Ernie Banks?

Huh?

The man has only played in 3 playoff games (well, four, but one he got hurt throwing his very first pass (a 66 yard completion)). He’s 1-2. Do you think Joe Flacco (career rating 84.7) is a “championship” QB, but Palmer (88.1) is not? Hey, if our defense held Carolina to 13 points in the conference championship the way Flacco’s Ravens’ team did in 2012, we’d probably be going to the Super Bowl too.

You’re the guy who’s always here talking about the defense. What kind of performance would it have taken from CP to win this game, given the fact that our D let up 3 straight scoring drives to start the game, another TD after Peterson’s fumble, and 2 more scores (on drives that ate up almost the entire 3rd quarter) to start the 2nd half? A good game by CP, and we probably still lose by 14, given how the D played.

I’m as disappointed as anyone that we lost, but we’re 34-14 in three years with Palmer, and he’s had one — ONE — chance in the playoffs as a Cardinal. With a dislocated finger. And he’s 1-1, with the loss against a very tough 15-1 team.

I do wonder if anything would be different if he hadn’t gotten hurt last year. If so, we probably win the West (we were 9-1 when Seattle was 6-4) and the #1 seed… who knows what would’ve happened then.

37. By krehbieo14 on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

drb, georgebird-

It’seems amazing how prophetic fans are when their team loses!

38. By Dr.G. on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

I am wagering that few Cars Fans will be cheering for Carolina; am I right? The Show Boat eventually sinks and collects barnacles. Not a fan of it.
    I need about 30+ ups on this one…later

39. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

Maybe you should instill a 24hr rule for posters after games. Let the anger and alcohol wear off. A lot of crazy comments.

Get rid of Carson??? And get who? RG3? Johnny Football? Maybe get one of the McCowns?

Really folks, Palmer is our best chance to get to the next level. Each of the last 3 years we have improved. 10 wins with no playoffs, then the crazy year with Palmer going down and making the playoffs but getting bounced to Winning the West,winning 14 games, winning a playoff game.
    You want your team to upward trend as they are.

Sundays game was very disappointing.Yes, Palmer, and many others played poorly. Not sure why the last 3 games, they played bad except maybe they were not ready for the step up to playoff ball. Next year, they will be.

I will say, I am not ready to crown them next year either though. They must hit with their offseason and draft much better( Ill touch on that later) Seattle is no joke and will come back better than ever. The battle for 2016-17 starts now.

40. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: 24 hours

You are probably right. On Twitter I had fans who wanted to dump Palmer from the roster in the first quarter.

Then again, seeing some of the crazy things put out there by professional writers *cough*profootballtalk*cough* fans aren’t the only ones.

41. By georgiebird on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

The gravity of yesterdays’ loss to the Panther’s will not be fully felt until after the SB.
    1) If Carolina should win big then the loss will be a bad loss to the super team of 2015 on the road.
    2) If Carolina wins or loses a tight game then the Cards loss becomes more of a downer.
    3) Should Carolina get beat by 10 or more then the Cards will have that humiliating loss to end the season.

After watching the Cards and Seattle play against the Panthers, I’m betting that the 2nd half of the Panthers/Seattle game is the true indicator of how the SB will go. I know the Panthers may have been cruising but maybe not. Unless Cam has a great game with his legs, the Broncs win by 10+ (and they’re getting 4). Denver’s defensive speed is at another level.

42. By Patrick on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

I think a bum Phillips quote is fitting.

“One year ago, we knocked on the door. This year, we beat on the door. Next year, we’re going to kick the son of a bitch in.”

43. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

As for Keim’s comment;

Comments like, we need a pass rush drive me crazy. Steve, we have been begging every draft for a pass rusher and yet, you have not drafted one.

Why? Don’t say there hasn’t been any, because there have. You must draft better.
    2 of you 3 first rounders didn’t play Sunday. Funny, the Broncos traded up to land Shane Ray, while having Ware and Miller. I watched the chiefs take Dee Ford while having Hali and Houston. You need several pass rushers. We watched guys like Ray, Dupree, and Gregery go to other teams this year and guys like Ford and Lawrence go to teams in 2014 while you took a Tackle who never dressed out and a safety you converted to a LB (kind of).

Then you say, boy we could use a pass rush? UUGGHH.

Keim has been great for Arizona. He is a good GM. Seriously, he has done an awesome job overall. He hired BA, Traded for Palmer, brought in guys who helped this team win. We are moving in the right direction.

But comments like we need pass rush just, I dont understand. Keim, you are the guy the last 3 years. You can draft one. I just wish he would stop taking bad offensive lineman in the first round (Cooper, Humphries) and draft a pass rusher.

Or better yet, overpay for one if you must (Not that I can see any way to get Von Miller-who is a FA) . But if he hit the open market, find a way to land him. Then, draft another one.

44. By georgiebird on Jan 25, 2016 | Reply

on a positive note,
    Considering the opposition, I thought the Cardinals defensive line had some pretty good penetration although unable to finish. And the OL played ok. In summation, Newton played an excellent game and we had 7 turnovers.
    Some observations from the game:
    1) David Johnson is our most valuable commodity going into 2016
    2) Markus Golden never came on-no speed to beat OT (an ILB?)
    3) The dbs esp Powers & Johnson are way overrated
    4) Against top teams, Buc would be ok as ILB- IF the other LBs were top-flite
    5) Smokey too small to start and he doesn’t separate that well
    6) TE needs to be used more in passing game
    7) Cards should look again at the 4-3
    8) All Cards speed never showed up much this year
    9) HBs talent &enthusiasm definitely missing
    10) Time once again to look for big, fast LBs (an annual affair)

45. By Dr H on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

We’ll be back better than ever. Every team has not one stunning loss – remember the thrashing we gave the so called elite QB Rodgers? Or that game with the SF, Kaepernick who was supposed to be the next coming? Well, unfortunately it happened to us in the Divisional game. But this team has gotten better every season so no worries for me. Love the Cards!

46. By Jeff A on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Darren, are you doing your annual “Breaking down the Birds” report? If so, when?

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Jeff A —

RE: Breakdown

Wednesday.

48. By clssylssy on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Darren…I notice Fitz has dropped out of the Probowl and also Chris Johnson , who was voted an alternate is not playing. While I know that many people don’t see the point of the ProBowl or other exhibition games, I was looking forward to seeing our organization well represented. I know that Tyrann and Carson have injuries but what’s up with Fitz?

49. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Fitz

I don’t know the official reason, but I am guessing he just doesn’t want to play after the way the season ended.

50. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

What a terrible game if you are a Cardinals’ fan. Tedd Ginn played a great game catching the ball, running the ball, returning kicks and tackling Patrick Peterson. He was better on Sunday than any of our Cardinals with the possible exception of David Johnson. Michael Floyd was almost invisible. Once again Andre Ellington was a non-factor and you have to wonder what the future holds for him. Same for Troy Nicklas and Jonathan Cooper. High draft picks who have contributed next to nothing. The Honey Badger was our MVP this year. Justin Bethel is a ProBowl special teams player (I guess) but he is not much of a corner back. Our kickers both did ok this year. And I too noticed some dissension between players and coaches on the sideline on Sunday. I guess this happens when you are losing an elimination game. It was a very good season. We have a lot to look forward to but we have a lot of holes to fill too. I wish Arians would let someone else call the plays but that is likely not going to happen. No biscuit on Sunday. Not even a crumb. Thanks for all your good work, Darren. See you in September.

51. By clssylssy on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Thanks Darren…kinda thought that might be the case but it was being reported that he was “hurt” which could certainly be something we all can relate to. What about Chris? I was really hoping to see him get to play again this season as he was the spark we needed to get our run game firing until David could step in.
    I am really hoping SK can find a way to keep him and use the pick we normally use to take another RB on beefing up our defense. Now that we have joined the ranks of the “Big Dogs” we need to build for physical football so we can stay on top.

52. By Mike G on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is cool! Rough game for the Card’s on Sunday. The team certainly had a very good year. Arians getting his first playoff win & also 3 straight years with double figure wins– something the organization should be proud of. I think Keim will continue to improve the team with another solid draft and some key free agent signings. I still feel the team needs to improve its physical play. I think they have improved in this area but need to take it to the next level. Carolina and Seattle are the most physical teams in the NFC & the Cards have to match them if they want to win a road playoff game against those teams at this point. I’m hoping Cooper and Humphries can contribute on the line –they are first round picks & need to be good players based on their draft position. Darren–I think Palmer certainly had a very good year – I know fans are talking about his finger but this was Palmer’s first playoff road game in a hostile environment against a very good team where the speed of the game is that much faster!!!
    Don’t you think that is the reason he struggled so much in this game–this was his first experience in this situation????????

53. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: First experience

I would hope after all these years playing it wouldn’t have made that big of a difference.

54. By Skodly on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

I have been a Cardinal fan since Charley Johnson was quarterback,and old #8 Larry Wilson was perfecting the safety blitz.I love this team and everything about them,and the Bidwell family.The 13 wins were great,the west crown was great too.If your season ends without a SuperBowl title some say its a failure.I wont go that far to say that,but last Sunday I sat down to watch my team compete for the NFC title.I have to say I was never more embarrassed or humiliated in my life.Watching the entire team implode especially Carson Palmer killed me.I think Cam Newton is a great player but our cagy old veteran Palmer who continues to make the dumbest decisions with the ball just biggles my mind.Are you kidding me,even my wife who knows nothing about football asked me so many times who is he even throwing to.The Peterson fumble just killed us but just under 2 minutes till half time 2 timeouts Palmer throws a pick in the end zone,unbelievable veterans are not supposed to do that,take your time which we had plenty of.It was just so,so,sad for this season to end this way.If they were competing in this game and lose fine no big deal,but they wouldnt have beat a good high school team the way they played.NFC title game Super Bowl berth on the line all I can say is sad,sad,sad.

55. By skodly on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

I almost forgot to mention our offensive line,thats a good word offensive.By the way where was our #1 draft choice from last year,remember a #1 pick is supposed to be a impact player this guy couldnt even get on the field.Sad,Sad,Sad there is a lot more work to be done here than meets the eye,a lot more.The only player I felt bad for was Fitz,the rest never showed up to play!!!!!!!!

56. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

I see someone above is already talking about how the Panthers are the new bully and will be impossible for the Cards to beat without significant roster upgrades on our part or major injuries on their part.

People forget how quickly the narratives in the NFL change. After two straight SB appearances, some people (including certain posters on this blog) were saying that Seattle was markedly better than us and we were still also-rans in the division, destined for a wild card berth at best. Well, we won the division by 3 games over them.

In December, people were saying, oh, the Panthers — yeah, that 15-1 is a mirage because they had an easy schedule. And after our 38-8 shellacking of Green Bay and Carolina’s loss to Atlanta, we were on top of many “power rankings” — the best team in the NFL. Now, in January, the Panthers are way ahead of us and we can’t catch them without major upgrades?

Come on, folks. We played a bad game. Teams lay an egg sometimes. But let’s not start talking like there is a giant gap between us and the Panthers.

57. By erik on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

I am disappointed they lost, but as a fan I am always looking forward to how they will improve in the offseason. A couple things off of the top of my head if I were GM ( I realize I am a delusional fan, don’t worry):

1) Tell Bucannon to start eating and hitting those weights because he needs to come into next season weighing at least 220 lbs. He does not have the cover skills from what I have seen to play safety. He is a great player and I really think he is perfect in the LB position, except for his weight. He is too small to deal with those big men up front.

2) Figure out what the hell is going on with the two OL that cost two first round picks. Maybe I’m impatient, but if you draft an OL in the first round, they better be able to start from day 1. I guess I mean figure out what you have in Humphries, because I have basically given up on Cooper at this point.

3) Spend your first three or four draft picks on a pass rusher!!!!!!! I’m half serious with this suggestion. The Cards have no pass rush. At all. It hurts. If you pick a few of those guys in the draft, you will hit on at least one, right?

4) Find Darryl Washington and hypnotize him or something so that he has a desire to play football again. Work into a new contract that if he just gives us five more years of top level play, that the Cards will buy a certain % of his weed for the rest of his life (😉 joking) I know I shouldn’t even bring D. Wash up, but I couldn’t help thinking all year that if he was still around, that defense would be unbelievable. He was that good of a player.

Anyways, get to it Keim! You have a lot of work to do, but I know you are more than capable!

58. By drblogubc on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa, I appreciate your positive perspective, observing how quickly the narrative changes in the NFL, and that it can change again just as quickly. As such, we should be careful about making “pronouncements” concerning the sinking of one team and the elevation of another. That is really a good way to look at the unknown future.

I think many of us are so deeply frustrated, even angry, because the narrative changed in such breathtaking fashion in January. And it wasn’t just one bad game on Sunday, in my opinion. It started in the Week 17 game against Seattle. The Cardinals apparently had nothing to play for and the resulting embarrassment was viewed as a “learning experience”. The playoff game against Green Bay was not much better in many respects, especially the play of Carson Palmer. Cardinals won largely due to a fluke TD to Michael Floyd but mostly because the Packers were a fair to middlin team who the Cardinals should have beaten easily. Another “learning experience” and with the first playoff victory, Palmer and others had apparently thrown the playoff monkey off their backs. Then the Carolina disaster with no explanation as to how it could possibly have happened.

We heard many times that this year’s edition of the Cardinals was perhaps the best ever assembled. Is it possible that they could be as good or even better next year? Who knows? If so, I have no idea what will keep them playing at a high level right to the finish line.

59. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Eric,

You had me with the first 3. But I think we all should forget the name Daryl Washington. He is done.

Unfortunately, he counts as 7.5 million against the cap. Cutting him give 2million in cap relief but still counts as 5.5 in dead money.

He hurts us by not playing then hurts us by the cap hits. DW needs to be cut, take the 2 mil in relief and move on.

60. By erik on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

JTDG,

I hear you about D-Wash, I almost didn’t mention him, but I just wanted to make the pot joke. It is undeniable though how good he was. I do not think for even a second that he is coming back, but I was not aware of the cap figures you presented. That speaks to the skill of the player that the Cards organization continued to pay him even through all the BS. They seemed to have a bit of hope that he would get it together, and I don’t blame them for that.

61. By Al on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Darren. Someone sent our song “I’m gonna whoop somebodys ass” to wrong locker room….

62. By Scott H on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

JTDG –

Ya know, all along, I wasn’t even thinking about the cap hit that the Cards were taking from Washington. Ugh. Man, that just makes a really lousy situation worse, doesn’t it?

I do wonder what could have been if he had been here the last two seasons. This defense was good but it REALLY could have used him. Watching the last few games, I found myself thinking back to 2008 and noting that the 2015 Cardinals team didn’t have a Karlos Dansby….didn’t have a Darnell Dockett at his most disruptive….didn’t have an Adrian Wilson. Well, at least not after we lost Matthieu. On the defensive side, we missed guys like that. Washington might have given us that, ya know? He was a beast and he is in his prime years right now.

What a damn waste…..and what a blow to this team.

63. By Chuck 1 on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Keim: (After a beat down by the ‘Hawks): “The Seattle game was an outlier”

No, Steve. It was not. It showed what a team, the “Hawks (and the Panthers) could do to the Cards with their stout defenses, higher scoring offenses and better QBs.

Unless you draft better (see FIRST ROUNDERS Cooper and Humphries etc.) and sign more dominating FA O-Linemen, you’re going to see more “outliers” when you get to the playoffs.

BTW, when are you going to draft a Franchise QB to eventually replace Palmer?

64. By GinnieMae on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Bring back John Skelton to compete against Stanton, he had a bad 2012 but a great 2011. Palmer showed he too can choke and give up the ball.

65. By Austin Kolb on Jan 28, 2016 | Reply

THE CARDINALS WILL RISE UP THIS YEAR ONE GAME TILL SUPER BOWL 50 WE WILL COME BACK TO WIN SUPER BOWL 51 GO CARDS

2. Jan 25, 2016: Steve Keim Comments on Carson Palmer, Loss to Panthers in 2016 NFC Championship | Sporty
  3. Jan 25, 2016: Steve Keim Comments on Carson Palmer, Loss to Panthers in 2016 NFC Championship - PureFootballPureFootball — Your source for everything about football! — News and tweets about everything football — Football scores, news, NFL
  4. Jan 25, 2016: Steve Keim Comments on Carson Palmer, Loss to Panthers in 2016 NFC Championship – Megasportarena
  5. Jan 25, 2016: Cardinals GM: Palmer 'will bounce back and be ready in 2016' - EON Sports
  6. Jan 25, 2016: Cardinals GM: Palmer 'will bounce back and be ready in 2016' - Sports Fix
  7. Jan 25, 2016: Cardinals GM: Palmer ‘will bounce back and be ready in 2016’ | The Draft Duel Cast
  8. Jan 25, 2016: Cardinals GM: Palmer ‘will bounce back and be ready in 2016’ | Smirfitts Speech
  9. Jan 28, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Search for a pass rusher
  10. Feb 6, 2016: Steve Keim Comments on Carson Palmer, Loss to Panthers in 2016 NFC Championship | Sports News
  11. Mar 15, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | A pass rusher arrives as Coop leaves