Of seven Cards’ Pro Bowlers, only two to play

Posted by Darren Urban on January 26, 2016 – 1:13 pm

The Cardinals had a long season with a crushing ending, and so, with the Pro Bowl coming Sunday only a week after the team’s NFC Championship loss, perhaps it shouldn’t be very surprising that most of the team’s Pro Bowl representatives will not be going to Hawaii.

Only two of the seven Pro Bowlers — defensive tackle Calais Campbell and special teamer Justin Bethel — are going. Safety Tyrann Mathieu (replaced by the Eagles’ Malcolm Jenkins) was never going to go, since he was hurt before he was even named to the team. This week, quarterback Carson Palmer (replaced by the Vikings’ Teddy Bridgewater), wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald (replaced by the Colts’ T.Y. Hilton), guard Mike Iupati (replaced by the Bills’ Richie Incognito) and cornerback Patrick Peterson (replaced by the Bengals’ Pacman Jones) all bowed out.

Palmer said he wanted to give his banged-up right hand a rest. Iupati cited shoulder issues. I’m not sure what the reasons were for Fitzgerald and Peterson, although in every case, it might’ve just been a need to just get some downtime after a rough end to the season.

Patrick Peterson

41 Responses to “Of seven Cards’ Pro Bowlers, only two to play”

1. By MikeFlorio on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Ehhh…shout out to Campbell and Bethal !!

Injuries are certainly a part of the game, for those who need to heal up, get some rest after the season you all had, you earned some rest.

However-Whats the point of any of the fans to vote for you to go to the Pro-bowl, if you don’t wanna show?
    Waste of my time and everyone else who voted for the individuals to get the nod, next year I won’t even bother voting…smh

2. By D on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

I wonder if Mr. Keim will ask C. Campbell for a restructure for more relief under the 2016 Cap. Guessing he’ll do some work to create more cap space for this off season with a few players.

These are the players I will be watching to see if their current teams will make a push to keep, and players I think would help this team compete with Carolina if they make it to free agency and if the Cards could sign. (now that the team is consistently winning, a easier place for FA to come to)

1) Malik Jackson DE Denver- the team already spent big $ on the other DE Wolf and have V. Miller and a few other players to decide on who to keep. Big decisions this offseason for Elway. He would help Campbell with a pass rush for the Dline. (along with a high draft pick)

2) Stephen Wisniewski- C Jacksonville–he played well this year, he was a FA last summer and didn’t get a big deal that he thought he would, played with Palmer in Oak. I believe an upgrade from Lyle.

3) T. Hall OLB Chiefs–He can still create pressure from the outside LB spot, early 30’s player that Keim could get creative on a deal. KC has their replacement on the roster and I believe would be a upgrade over Woodley.

4) Trumaine Johnson–CB Rams -big physical young corner that can play man coverage. The Rams have both of their CB’s un-restricted this spring. He would help the Cards secondary while Bethel needs more time and the Honey badger is rehabbing.

5) Danny Trevathan–LB Broncos–a good LB that can play all 3 downs and who can cover. If you could pair him up with Buccannon, the LB corp would be greatly improved. I don’t think Minter will be more than a 2 down LB and special teams player.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Hard to celebrate a pro bowl after an ass kicking like Sunday.

Im surprised the other two want to go.

4. By texascard on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

These guys should live under this code. If it helps in beating the panthers, do it. If it doesn’t help in beating the panthers, don’t do it. Stop the pounding. Nothing else matters of you want to be a winner

5. By drblogubc on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

I went to the Pro Bowl that was here in Arizona last year. My lasting memory is the phenomenal J. J. Watt. He not only played a great game but when it was over, he ran around the perimeter of the field high-fiving everyone in the first row of each section. He was having a blast, both during and after the game, and the fans loved it. That is the kind of player, in my opinion, who personifies what an NFL player should be. He takes his responsibilities seriously by accepting the Pro Bowl invitation in the first place, then shows respect for the fans when he gets there.

NFL stars are fleeing the 2016 Pro Bowl in historic numbers.Russell Wilson is the only QB originally voted for who remains on the roster. I realize that some of the players have legitimate injuries and shouldn’t be playing. But kudos to Wilson and all those players who have the courage to participate regardless of “unspecified injuries” or wounded egos following playoff losses.

6. By clssylssy on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Downtime??? And I thought that’s what they would be having all those months during the offseason. I’m sure everyone on the team was “hurt” in varying degrees however, Calais and Justin get special props for having the courage to show up and probably be targets for uncomfortable questions from the press. I was always told “there ain’t no crying in football” but maybe some of our stars have forgotten where they came from. At the very least this would be a golden opportunity to show kids that you can have disappointments in life but you can still be a winner without letting a loss define you.

7. By robert on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

i guess whats annoying me is that we got our butts kicked and watched while the panthers laughed at us. I don’t understand. I would have expected someone to punch some panther in the mouth and show some fight. I know i would have done that…it just pisses me off…next season we better get tougher and beat the crap out of the panthers AND go for two points when we are blowing them out. Go Broncos!

8. By Alma Navarrette on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

It would be nice if someone from the Cardinals organization read these. It is dissappointing that after a season of talking up the importance of the team, family, dedicated fans, and unity, that after this loss it all gets tossed out like trash. You wonder why we get so many bandwagon fans, and why you lose them after your season is over. You inspire when you are winning and you have the power to inspire though you lost but you just let defeat control you. One example is when you decline the invites to the probowl. So maybe it is more like an exhibition game, nobody taking it seriously. All the more reason to be there because it will not take effort, your injured finger or shoulder will not get worse but your fans old and new will be inspired to commit to your team when you remain faithful to your commitments.

9. By Dr. G. on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Yeah, Cards fans….surprising any one wants to go…probably thinking, “”back up on the horse”” will expel some of the bad taste with some physical exchange. I am trying to do the same, but one helluva opportunity down the sink hole…

Interesting format, Darren…thought I tapped the wrong link… Kudos again for a fantastic blog. The league should have a Pro Bowl spot for this category. 🌹 You win the rose.

On to studying the prospects and draft to see how 2016 comes together.

Cards Fans…hang in there…

10. By Wendy. Davis-March on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

I personally find it disappointing.

11. By All Day on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Darren- do you know if a player is voted to the pro bowl but decides not to go if he is still credited with a pro bowl. Like Peterson for instance has been to the probowl every year since he’s entered the league but since he’s not going does that mean he’s not credited for it?

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

All Day —

RE: Pro Bowl

Teams still credit their players. They were voted in. That’s the honor. Not the actual game.

13. By Scott H on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

I don’t blame these guys for not going. I don’t think I would be up for it, either. These guys spent this whole season believing the Super Bowl was a very real possibility. Then, suddenly, it’s over. I wouldn’t feel like going to the Pro Bowl, either. I would just want to get away for awhile.

And, geez, look at the replacements that are taking their places! My lord, what a drop-off at just about every position. TY Hilton is a good WR but he is no Larry Fitzgerald! This is why the Pro Bowl sucks as bad as it does anymore. So many of the actual starters, the guys who really got the votes, end up skipping it because of injuries or being in the SB or…because they just don’t feel like playing this game.

14. By Big Ken on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

Interesting statements BA has made about the o-line. I say Massie is gone. Does Cooper get traded? Why does BA moon over Ted Larsen? Big hopes for Humphries. Do we draft a center or go after Alex Mack? Let the second season begin.

15. By Big Ken on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

I’m more excited about the Senior Bowl than I am about the Pro Bowl. I hope that doesn’t make me a bad person.

16. By James Rien on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

That stinks will finally attend a pro bowl in Hawaii before I pcs and 2 of my favorite players won’t be there just my luck. #beredseered.

17. By Richard L on Jan 26, 2016 | Reply

They didn’the show up for the NFL Championship game either!

18. By Martin Friedrich on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

I totaly understand the decisions of both, the guys are heading to the pro bowl and the guys who not! On one hand its an honour to be voted in the Pro bowl team and could help to over come these horriable sunday evening. But evey guy handled these situations different, so its totaly understandable that some players need a bit time and wanna step away from football for a few days to spend time with family and friends to get their mind clear! To be honest! As i said, its a honour to be voted to the pro bowl no doubt but the game by itself without meaning, where you can get hurt whats affect your pre season and with no more spectecular plays than a normal NFL game, its just a waste of time and money. So no reason for me to pay more attantion on who is playing or not than necessary.

19. By South east Asia Cards for life on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

I just wanna say I have not posted anything in a long while ,but I watched every game at the crack of dawn starting in pre season some games at 2am, 5am etc… And I enjoyed the heck out of watching what this team has become, not to mention how great our fan base is and the potential we have. Michael Bidwell is all class and he’s doing a fantastic job, thanks to everyone in the organization for a great year and a winning culture. Best…..team…….ever.

20. By Scott H on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Alma –

I hear ya, but let’s also consider that – at least for some of the Cardinals players that are bowing out – there is the PHYSICAL aspect of them having played two more games than the players on teams that did not make the playoffs. I think that should be recognized as a factor here, especially for the vets like Fitz and Palmer. These guys have been doing this for a long time and I’m sure that by the end of a season – especially an extended season – things hurt and it is time to let the body rest and heal. And if they prioritize that over the Pro Bowl, I have NO PROBLEM with that.

21. By RAMON on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

I understand I’m not watching superbowl or pro bowl this year after that panthers loss who knows when the get a shot to go to super bowl again i like palmer but he does get injured a lot no guarantees they’ll be in this position next year its depressing

22. By Roger on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

The Pro Bowl has become a sad joke. At least in the past there was a small “pride of conference” aspect … now that’s gone with this dull “picked teams” gimmick.

While I greatly respect guys like JJ Watt who deeply appreciate the fans and make the extra effort to attend and compete in the PB, the fact remains that PB participation is tangential to what these guys are paid to do.

They are paid to compete to bring their team and their fans an NFL Championship. The PB has nothing to do with that. While the risk of injury is minimal (the game is almost “flag football”) it’s not zero.

The game itself is usually boring, but some of the sideline interviews with stars can be fun – at least for the ones who are will to go “off script” a bit.

What the NFL might want to consider is a skills challenge before the game (like the NBA does). Stuff like QBs throwing to targets, receivers doing crazy one-handed catches (now I would definitely watch Odell Beckham Jr doing that!)

Heck, maybe they should admit what the game has become and actually make it flag football – it would be different.

23. By clssylssy on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

What I find most disappointing is not so much the actual loss, although that certainly did sting, but moreover the manner in which the loss has been handled. I really didn’t like that BA hung the leaders out to take the brunt of the responsibility for the loss when we got out coached as much as anything. It was a team loss period!
    We tell our kids that what is really important in situations like this is that we are graceful winners/losers and the only shame is in conducting yourself poorly in the face of disappointment. We made it to the Championship so that in itself is validation of our hard work.
    The Pro Bowl is an honor and the Cards had seven players selected this yesr which is comparable to the Seahawks, Patriots who also lost but have fewer dropouts. We have fans who are making the trip which is a testament to their loyalty trophy or not.

24. By All Day on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

I think it’s time we draft a QB in a higher round to develop behind Palmer. And there are a couple interesting names to watch, Connor Cook Michigan State. 6-4 220 he’s a very good athlete. Reminds me a lot of Andrew Luck. My only concern with him is injuries but he’s won some big games and he has a good arm we could get him at our pick at 29 or possibly so where in the 2nd round.
    Jake Coker Alabama 6-6 236 he’s big but he’s athletic and has a huge arm. Not to mention he just won a national championship. But being from Alabama he’s played in a pro style offense and has good decision making. The problem is he only started 1 season. But he’s a guy that could be available anywhere from the 3rd to 5th round. 2 Guys I think we should steer clear of, Cardale Jones and Christian Hackenberg. Disappointing seasons to say the least. Cardale jones did not live up to his expectations and Hackenberg wasn’t any better.

25. By Dr. G. on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Roger – – I don’t see how anyone can bang on your post. I can agree with some ideas you post…many of us have thought the same or similar things for years.

Perhaps we could see the Pro Bowl played as a pre-season exhibition game during the following Summer with a neutral jersey. The fan benefits are obvious…nearly everyone can participate. Some adjustments would be needed.

Going back some 35++ years, with a couple exceptions, this game has been in Hawaii. Prior to that, the LA Coliseum dominated. The true fans there look forward to their only opportunity despite the best chosen and voted players won’t participate.

And, it is a nice vacation for the players who GET to go. …must be nice to turn down guaranteed serious cash:: $29,000 for just showing up; $58,000 if you win..!!

I modify my opinion after some thought. 2016 represents the most declined invitations ever. Some positions are down to the 8th substitution. Aside from legit reasons, are these guys making too much to snub a free trip and some serious vacation cash?? Is this showing fan appreciation?

When the going gets tough, get off your derriere and go to Hawaii…later Fans

26. By Cactus jeff on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Darren
    How hurt is Iupati? He hurt his neck and demonstrated symptoms of a stinger midway through season. Thanks

27. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: Iupati

He cited his shoulder as a reason to drop out of the Pro Bowl. I’d expect he’ll be fine going forward.

28. By Andy Kw on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

My assumption is that DE Cory Redding will also contemplate retirement. I also assume that ILB Daryl Washington will be cut. Restructure both Campbell contract. These actions will free up more cap space.
    -I also suggest the Cardinals release Barkley, S. Taylor, B.Golden, X. Williams, K. Martin and find trade partners for both Kevin Minter and Andre Ellington to get additional draft picks. Minter provides no PR and is okay as a run defender but has yet to play to expectations. Ellington has been injured way too much and he could be valuable to another team. I respect the guy but David Johnson is the future.

We should fire DL coach Brentson Buckner. The guy can’t even make our DL any good at pass rushing. It is time for a change.

Here is what I suggest the Cardinals should do: Sign,

-OLB Aldon Smith, Raiders: He has been relatively quiet since his suspension. Of course his past is questionable but he has continued to be a dominant pass rusher with speed. I’d take a big gamble on him. We genuinely have to display interest and do a better job trying to sign or draft a pass rusher long term. He can do it and I know he will help us. (4yr $30M)

-C Stefen Wisniewski, Jaguars: He is only 26 and is solid in both pass and run protection. We can sign him to a long term deal (3yr $18M)

-SS David Bruton, Broncos: A SS with size and speed. He is 6’2” and runs a sub par 4.4 with a vertical leap of 40′. (2yr $8M)

-FS Husain Abdullah, Chiefs: He has size for a safety at 6’0” and he has exceeded expectations in the NFL. He plays with a lot of passion and a guy that can rotate with Mathieu as he recovers from injury. (2yr $3M)

-OLB Junior Galette, Redskins: He was on IR since the beginning of the season and has proven, with the Saints, to be a very good pass rusher. We should sign him to Steve Keim’s signature 1yr prove-it deal. (Sign 1yr $1.5M)

-DE Justin Tuck, Raiders: He has the length we want at DE and since he is on IR, he should be healthy by the start of the season. He has been a solid pass rusher and my hope is that the recovery rejuvenated him. (Sign 1yr $1.5M)

-RB Jordan Todman, Steelers: This guy can take over KR duty. JJ Nelson is just too small and accelerates too slowly. (Sign 2yr $1.5M)

-OG Manny Ramierz, Lions: He has been reliable. Should challenge Cooper for the starting job. (2yr $4M)

-Tender SS Tony Jefferson, TE Darren Fells, TE Ifeanyi Momah, DE Josh Mauro

Draft
    Round 1: DE Emmanuel Ogbah, Oklahoma St. (Our future DE)
    Round 2: S Jayron Kearse, Clemson (Can also be a Safety turned LB)
    Round 3: CB Maurice Canady, Virginia (Can be a dangerous PR & solid nickel CB)
    Round 4: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio St. (Newton & Jones are very similar)
    Round 5: DE James Cowser, Southern Utah (Best in the FCS)
    Round 6: P Drew Kaser, Texas A&M (Probably the best P in the draft)

29. By georgiebird on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

I can’t blame any Cardinals’ (or Pats’) player that has decided to not play in the Pro-Bowl. Conference playoff losses are crushing for players who were so close and now so far away from the SB. Mental fatigue is on par with physical problems. The Pro Bowl is a circus.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Calais Campbell’s cap number in 2016 is 15,250,000.00. Can the cards afford to keep that number. I think they must restructure. Any word on that?

31. By Darren Urban on Jan 28, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Campbell cap

Can they afford it? Yes. Would they like to extend him and get a more manageable number? That makes sense to me.

32. By rod on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Have a nice break everybody, I’ll see you around draft time and all that.

It was a great year!

33. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

Since several have weighed in on cardinal moves in the off season, here is my opinion of what we should do way, way too soon.

Step 1- find out which FAs you want to keep. For me, I am looking at Rashad Johnson, Ted Larsen, Mike Leach, possibly Freeney and all the restricted FAs. Yep, I let Powers, and Stanton walk.

Step 2 – Restructure Calais Campbell’s 15 million in 2016 contract

Step 3 – Attack FA with 3 groups of FAs. A wish group, a possible group, a bargain group.

Wish group – OLB Von Miller, DE Muhammad Wilkerson, DE Mario Williams
    Miller is the top passrusher and will get a huge deal, but may be franchised
    Wilkerson is the best 3-4 DE other than JJ Watt. Jets are in cap hell. To keep Wilkerson, others must go.
    Williams is going to be cut by Buffalo and could be awesome opposite CC in our 3-4 defense.

Possible FAs-
    Junior Galette – olb – he had double digit sacks in 2013 and 14. coming off injury, he could be a steal.
    Alex Mack or Nick Mangold (two probowl centers who may be available)
    Can A. Cromartie be back? He looks like he could be cut saving 8 million.
    Could DE/OLB Cameron Wake be a cap cut. The dolphins are in cap hell and Wake would save 8 million
    The steelers are in cap trouble and David Decastro would save the steelers 8+ million, the pro bowler would be a great addition.
    Alex Boone – guard

The Bargain group;
    CB Charles Tillman, Morris Claiborne, Sean Smith, Mike Jenkins – If you dont land Cromartie, these would compete with Bethel
    TE Dwayne Allen and Marcedes Lewis
    DE Akeim Hicks

As for the draft;

The cards must address the QB situation. Stanton is not the answer. Palmer will be 37 in 2016 and in 2017 Palmer is scheduled to make over 20 million.
    I have been a Conner Cook fan for 2 years. I think if he drops into the 20’s, trade up and land him. He sits in 2016 behind Palmer and takes the reigns in 2017.

If Cook is not available, the cards have to look for that OLB and Noah Spence fits the bill. His past sounds a little like Honey Badger and could be the same playmaker Tyrann is.

I do think Kevin Hogan could be a good QB If you land Spence, Hogan in round 3 cou;d be a wild card. He throws the deep ball well.

34. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 27, 2016 | Reply

One other player in the draft to keep an eye on. Eric Striker. A way under sized OLB who just is a play making sacking machine.

I think he could move inside in a 3-4 defense. He is quick, fast and will blitz well. Could be a situational pass rusher. Just a 2-4 round play maker

35. By dan on Jan 28, 2016 | Reply

Hope Calais Campbell retires

36. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 28, 2016 | Reply

Andy KW and D,

You both like Wisneiwski. Why?
    Three reasons to pass on him.
    He is a legacy kid in Oakland (the team that drafted him) yet they let him walk.
    He was not sought after as a FA last year.
    Current team not locking him up.

Tamba Hali – I do not like declining sack numbers on an aging vet. 6 sacks and 6.5 the last two years. Unless you over pay this 33 yr old, he will resign with the chiefs.

Aldon Smith ????? Uhhgg. He is suspended a year coming off his 5th arrest.

Justin Tuck ?? This 33 yr old has 6 sacks total the last two years. The cards already have aging vets Cory Redding, Frostee Rucker and Corey Peters.

Andy – Emmanuel Ogbah ??? He is a 4-3 end, we are a 3-4 team.

37. By Big Ken on Jan 28, 2016 | Reply

Wisneiwski is overrated. Rides dad’s apron strings.

38. By paulmarvin1 on Jan 31, 2016 | Reply

Robert says he would punch a Panther in the mouth… really?

39. By dan on Feb 1, 2016 | Reply

They should just get rid of the Pro Bowl, its a joke. Not like it used to be, thats for sure. These guys make too much money and don’t want to get hurt. You can all thank a flag football game on a beach for that.

40. By Karen on Feb 1, 2016 | Reply

I love Cards. I was so sad and dissapointed after we loss with Carolina, but they gave us a great season. I support and respect their decision for not going to the Pro Bowl. One thing I learned from US people is to learn from mistakes and losses to strenght ourselves. I know we will beat the Panthers next time, and we will rejoice. I don´t like Panthers´ actitud, they should look more for their image to all the people and try to be loved and respected by all, huge egos will not take them anywere. Go Broncos!

41. By clssylssy on Feb 4, 2016 | Reply

I totally enjoyed the Probowl, I like a lot of different players from many teams and, for me, it’s fun to watch them together as colleagues having fun and mingling with fans in a less intense setting. Many “fans” don’t understand the Probowl and so are critical of it like anything else they don’t get. This year we got to see many up-and-comers because of all the dropouts which was great. I was especially impressed with the number of Seahawks players who showed up for the fans and took advantage of the opportunity to do some PR for their team.
    Thanks to Calais and Justin for showing up for this exhibition game and winning for team Irvin. Most of these players don’t need the money but can always donate it to their charity.